Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

so you are part of the 0.1% that played the Impale skills this league

goondolences

I got to red maps with my own SSF lancing steel :v: But I was having trouble getting any higher than that, and my boss DPS was entirely carried by vaal double strike. They... did not seem particularly powerful. I'm ready to repeat history and jump on the new skills next league even if they suck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

so you are part of the 0.1% that played the Impale skills this league

goondolences

What is impale anyways? For that matter, what is focus?

Found a lot of cool affixes that use focus but nothing explaining what it is.

Edit: and thanks for the build suggestions. Scourge arrow and lightning arrow both look cool, I'll wait for the patch notes and see if that pushes me in one direction or the other.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 12, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

What is impale anyways? For that matter, what is focus?

Found a lot of cool affixes that use focus but nothing explaining what it is.

Impale is a physical damage debuff that makes the enemy take some of the impaling hit's damage again when they're hit again.

For focus, f you have any gear with "blah blah when you focus" equipped, you get a "Focus" ability you can activate. Lasts 4 seconds, cooldown 12 seconds iirc. It doesn't do anything apart from the benefits your gear says.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
E: f;b

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Focus (and Primordial) is proof the PoE devs love Magic the Gathering from a development and design standpoint, but fail at remembering Vorthos exists for a reason.

In PoE Golems are not "first, earliest or original quotations ▼
(biology) characteristic of the earliest stage of the development of an organism, or relating to a primordium", and Focus should have been explained better with things making you lose Focus, or use a better name for what it does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The sense of Primordial being used in reference to golems is quite obviously "(especially of a feeling or state) basic and fundamental." in reference to them being composed of the very fundamental natures of the universe, the elements.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
On the first day, Chris created Ice.

On the second, he made it spin really fast.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Social Media posted:

I recall at least a couple of semi-popular youtubers or streamers that tried to make those skills work as a league start but they spec'ed out of it ASAP and never went back.

Engineering Eternity seems to be one of the few that actually went all the way with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv1W_yeHIEQ

it's me, i tried to league start shattering steel 2h; eventually respecced into this build after weeks of not touching the character (it's better, now, but on the whole it was a huge waste of time)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ghostlight posted:

The sense of Primordial being used in reference to golems is quite obviously "(especially of a feeling or state) basic and fundamental." in reference to them being composed of the very fundamental natures of the universe, the elements.

then we should have a wood and iron golem by now

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
hosed up that there is a chaos golem but no order golem

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dyzzy posted:

hosed up that there is a chaos golem but no order golem

Lawful Golem
Neutral Golem

Captainicus posted:

I'm ready to repeat history and jump on the new skills next league even if they suck!

To be fair, Winter Orb and the Brands (esp Storm Brand) were super good new skills. It was just the steel skills that sucked. Even the banners had some utility, even if they weren't something you made a build around really.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I did also try storm brand and a little bit of orb, but I found the effects and sounds to be real lackluster, such a soft little bzzt and puff of sparks on targets. I much preferred turning hallways into blenders of high speed razor-sharp metal shards with gore sounds :black101: Picking skills for the sound and visuals might not get me the furthest in end content so far, but I'm sure I'll hit the jackpot eventually!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captainicus posted:

I did also try storm brand and a little bit of orb, but I found the effects and sounds to be real lackluster, such a soft little bzzt and puff of sparks on targets. I much preferred turning hallways into blenders of high speed razor-sharp metal shards with gore sounds :black101: Picking skills for the sound and visuals might not get me the furthest in end content so far, but I'm sure I'll hit the jackpot eventually!

That's why you use Herald of Ice with it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Goa Tse-tung posted:

then we should have a wood and iron golem by now

wood is earth and air, iron is earth and fire

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Flicker strike is the most fun build I've ever seen. But it's kinda too good, because I have to stop zooming and go back to pick up loot like some kind of animal.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is there anything useful I can do with all the regular quality skill gems that drop from time to time?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Is there anything useful I can do with all the regular quality skill gems that drop from time to time?

No.

e: Assuming by "regular quality" you mean +0% quality. There's also some useful gems that are drop-only.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well, you can vendor 7 vaal skill gems with an atziri fragment to get a vaal orb.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cool, thanks.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

add 40% total quality worth of gems to the vendor for GCPs

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Qwertycoatl posted:

Impale is a physical damage debuff that makes the enemy take some of the impaling hit's damage again when they're hit again.

For focus, f you have any gear with "blah blah when you focus" equipped, you get a "Focus" ability you can activate. Lasts 4 seconds, cooldown 12 seconds iirc. It doesn't do anything apart from the benefits your gear says.

Well poo poo. I've dismissed all focus gear out of hand because I assumed it was a skill gem I hadn't seen. 25% uptime doesn't sound great though, the buffs aren't THAT great.

McFrugal posted:

Well, you can vendor 7 vaal skill gems with an atziri fragment to get a vaal orb.

WHAT
I mean I've never seen an atziri fragment but I had no idea that was a thing.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I find it hard to believe you haven't gotten a single Sacrifice fragment between Vaal side areas/corrupted map bosses/prophecies/Labyrinth chests/some other sources I'm probably forgetting

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Focus (and Primordial) is proof the PoE devs love Magic the Gathering from a development and design standpoint, but fail at remembering Vorthos exists for a reason.

In PoE Golems are not "first, earliest or original quotations ▼
(biology) characteristic of the earliest stage of the development of an organism, or relating to a primordium", and Focus should have been explained better with things making you lose Focus, or use a better name for what it does.

I don't understand a single part of this post

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
buddy got me into this game

i was eh until he told me i could be a diablo 2 necromancer

i have aurumvorax and sidhebreath, a 4-socket helm and chest for zombies and vaal skeletons, and otherwise a bunch of rares to put me at >90% resists post-part 2

maps are real easy at the tiers that drop for me and i do not know how to make higher tiers drop besides using orbs on existing maps and hoping
- how do i get higher tier maps?

delves seem fun but the act 9 quarry waypoint to farm sulphite apparently does not work anymore and i have had poor luck having niko show up
- how can i get more sulphite so i can do more delves?

really not a fan of syndicate bullshit, mostly the fortresses and especially the big brutes who jump on me from off-screen and nearly 100-0 me as a mechanic
- which ones are those? buddy told me there is a way to make sure certain ones do not show up at all but did not elaborate. how do i do it?
- any way to see less syndicate stuff in general?

i hear the season is resetting soon. how do season transitions work?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Addamere posted:

char goes to fuckboyland
you make new char

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Well poo poo. I've dismissed all focus gear out of hand because I assumed it was a skill gem I hadn't seen. 25% uptime doesn't sound great though, the buffs aren't THAT great.

WHAT
I mean I've never seen an atziri fragment but I had no idea that was a thing.

you absolutely have seen an atziri fragment, they are super common

they are the purple ones that open level 68-71 vaal areas and combine to regular atziri

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't understand a single part of this post

when you develop and design a mechanic you have the inner workings, the actual use, and the place the mechanic has in the story/narrative (basically what you call it)

and your design is only a homerun if all three "fit", and my argument was that Focus and Primordial have bad names that don't fit because you don't instantly grasp what is going on

compare it to good design like Rampage

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Do you guys mean the 1/4 circle fragments? Like sacrifice at dawn and whatnot? I have tons of them but no idea what they do aside from going into the map device at some point.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Addamere posted:

First and foremost would be your map's Item Quantity. More spins = more chances to get the good stuff.
Beyond that, you might have noticed the Atlas objectives/Bonus objectives as you've been mapping. The bonus is if you complete a map and it is of the right rarity (white = magic or better, yellow maps = rare, red maps = rare + corrupted, unique = as-is), you get a 1% increased chance that when a map to drop, it will drop 1 tier higher.
You can vendor 3 of the same map to get 1 map 1 tier higher that it is connected to on the Atlas
Do Zana dailies (those maps can count towards Atlas bonus) and check out what she has for sale afterwards.

Addamere posted:

Niko dailies, Scarabs (involves trading or doing Syndicate stuff, which you appear to not be a fan of).

Addamere posted:

What MBT said. Everyone starts with a blank slate when the new season rolls around, unless you're a weirdo who decides to stick around Standard (do not play Standard).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Do you guys mean the 1/4 circle fragments? Like sacrifice at dawn and whatnot? I have tons of them but no idea what they do aside from going into the map device at some point.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Apex_of_Sacrifice

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Addamere posted:

buddy got me into this game

i was eh until he told me i could be a diablo 2 necromancer

i have aurumvorax and sidhebreath, a 4-socket helm and chest for zombies and vaal skeletons, and otherwise a bunch of rares to put me at >90% resists post-part 2

maps are real easy at the tiers that drop for me and i do not know how to make higher tiers drop besides using orbs on existing maps and hoping

delves seem fun but the act 9 quarry waypoint to farm sulphite apparently does not work anymore and i have had poor luck having niko show up

really not a fan of syndicate bullshit, mostly the fortresses and especially the big brutes who jump on me from off-screen and nearly 100-0 me as a mechanic
- which ones are those? buddy told me there is a way to make sure certain ones do not show up at all but did not elaborate. how do i do it?
- any way to see less syndicate stuff in general?

Higher tier maps drop from current maps, but it's kind of a grind. The game is basically balanced around buying some maps. That said, Zana sells maps and her quest/dailies will increase the number of maps you get from her. Eta:higher maps drop from blue mobs, yellow mobs, and bosses. You can also trade 3 of a low tier for 1 of a tier higher (3 t1 maps trade for a t2 map and so on).

Are you doing your Niko daily? Otherwise, just run lots of maps (he spawns regularly) or buy/farm scarabs to get him to spawn (expensive, probably not "worth" it).

For tough syndicate encounters, like ambushes, make sure not to rank people up. If you focus on imprisoning them, they don't get tougher. A 2 star syndicate member hits a lot harder than a 1 star. Otherwise, fortresses are skippable and ambushes are run-away-able. To prevent someone showing up, run a low level map and fill up their safehouse then they won't show up for a few maps. It's kind of a pain. I'd focus on your build to increase survivability and dps - in white maps, you should be able to handle ambushes. If you link your character, I bet people here would be able tk suggest changes for a few chaos orbs that would help out a heck of a lot!

pork never goes bad fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 13, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Addamere posted:

Dropped maps can roll up to the tier of the map you're running (or more accurately the level of the area you're in), so maps that drop in a T9 map can be anywhere from T1 to T9. In addition, magic and rare monsters can drop +1 tier higher (so T1 to T10 in this example), unique monsters can drop +2 tiers higher (T1 to T11), and your atlas completion also gives a chance to add 1-2 tiers on any map that drops. If you have over 100% completion, you get a guaranteed +1 tier on all map drops (which effectively removes T1 maps from the pool) and a chance to get +2. Be aware that uncompleted maps can only drop in maps that they are directly connected to on the atlas. So the only way to get a Lava Chamber map to drop is to run Volcano maps.

You can also sell 3 maps of the same kind to a vendor and get one of the next tier higher.

And you can always just buy them from other players if you're not SSF. This is by far the most time-effective option.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 13, 2019

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

In addition, magic and rare monsters can drop +1 tier higher (so T1 to T10 in this example), unique monsters can drop +2 tiers higher (T1 to T11)

Magic is +1, rare and unique are +2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Trade any one with 7 vaal gems for a vaal orb
Use all four in position in the map device to open the Atziri encounter.
Use any one along with another map to add item quantity
Use any one by itself in the map device to open a random tier 1 vaal side area.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Goa Tse-tung posted:

when you develop and design a mechanic you have the inner workings, the actual use, and the place the mechanic has in the story/narrative (basically what you call it)

and your design is only a homerun if all three "fit", and my argument was that Focus and Primordial have bad names that don't fit because you don't instantly grasp what is going on

compare it to good design like Rampage

Ok so what you're saying is some mechanics have names that don't intuitively fit what they do. What does any of that have to do with MTG and why did your post have a triangle in it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wafflecopper posted:

Ok so what you're saying is some mechanics have names that don't intuitively fit what they do. What does any of that have to do with MTG and why did your post have a triangle in it

oh just that I became aware of this system through MTG, Mark Rosewater blogs and talks about it, and Chris is a big MTG fan

the triangle is from me being lazy and just copy pasting from wikipedia

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
When you're buying maps from other players it's often a good idea to buy in bulk since a lot of people won't want to stop whatever they're doing to sell you a single T11 for a couple of chisels or whatever. Buying an entire tier at once or multiple copies of a particular map is more likely to get a response.

edit: when the league is over a new league starts with a different gimmick / mechanic. We don't know what the new league will be yet but we find out this week, I think. Your existing characters stick around but get moved to Standard. You can carry on playing them if you want but most people don't and focus on the new league instead. Standard is a slightly weird place because it's basically a dumping ground for every character that's existed since PoE left beta in 2013, plus all their gear and all their currency.

edit2: to give you an example of Standard being weird, one of my characters has a pair of legacy Facebreakers (legacy means an older version of a unique that can roll different stats to what the current version can). They have a nearly-perfect 998% physical damage roll. There's one similar currently listed on poe.trade for 550ex, which is an insane amount of money that almost no-one will come close to earning during one of the temporary leagues.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 13, 2019

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Zephro posted:

edit2: to give you an example of Standard being weird, one of my characters has a pair of legacy Facebreakers (legacy means an older version of a unique that can roll different stats to what the current version can). They have a nearly-perfect 998% physical damage roll. There's one similar currently listed on poe.trade for 550ex, which is an insane amount of money that almost no-one will come close to earning during one of the temporary leagues.

Vaal

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
standard has its place, and its place is "i'm buzzed after a night of drinking and want to go goku on a bunch of red maps with half a mirror worth of legacy poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Starting to push into red maps and I'm occasionally getting annihilated by the Betrayal gangs. Any advice on what gear I should upgrade next? I'm loosely following the Jugg of all trades reave/blade flurry build from Engineering Eternity: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Snargel/characters

I think I should probably get a new amulet, but it's hard to let go of that talisman's crazy crit chance/multiplier bonus. It adds 22k dps all on its own. I do have a Starkonja's head and Rat's Nest in my stash, either of which would give a decent damage boost, but then my resistances go all to hell.