Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

And are you manually registering the auto-payments in YNAB as they happen? Or is it syncing with the bank?

I correct the synced transfers by entering them as a transfer and then matching the transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

tuyop posted:

I correct the synced transfers by entering them as a transfer and then matching the transactions.
Hm, I don't sync with the bank myself so not sure what could be wrong. But could there be a problem on how you're defining the transfer? Or ending up with duplicated transactions?

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
The way nuYNAB handles credit cards is very poor. Just make the account a checking account and never have to worry about positive credit card budget lines again.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

YNAB just sent out their big “here’s all the poo poo we’ve been working on” email

And they uh

They’re bragging about being able to resize columns and select all and how much storage space they’re saving server-side

That’s the best you fuckin got to talk about? Cmon dudes credit cards are still jacked up as gently caress and I can’t reconcile from mobile
Your priority list is hosed as hell y’all

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Sockser posted:

YNAB just sent out their big “here’s all the poo poo we’ve been working on” email

And they uh

They’re bragging about being able to resize columns and select all and how much storage space they’re saving server-side

That’s the best you fuckin got to talk about? Cmon dudes credit cards are still jacked up as gently caress and I can’t reconcile from mobile
Your priority list is hosed as hell y’all

I wouldn’t mind seeing a copy of this email if you had one. I’m still on YNAB4 and intend to be until they provide a compelling reason to move (which will probably be when 4 stops working).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

quote:

This is the first edition of You Need an Update, our oh-so-cleverly-named, semi-regular review of what we've been up to lately at YNAB. It's similar to our release notes, but far less frequent. Here we focus more on the bigger picture, less on the minutia.

Here are our greatest hits of the past six months (give or take):

Copious Register and Budget Improvements — We spent a lot of time sanding down the rough edges in the register and budget, reducing friction as much as possible. It only stands to reason since that’s where folks spend most of their time.

You can now resize columns in the register. Don’t care about the “Memo” field? Shrink it down. Futz around with the sizes to your heart’s content, and we’ll remember how you had ‘em configured the next time you’re back in your budget.

The register also has an omni-checkbox that allows you to quickly check/uncheck all the items currently in view.

In-House Payee Cleansing — For connected accounts (i.e. accounts wired up for Direct Import) we'll automagically change your payee from:

POS AMZN MKTP US AMZN. - MEMO=PURCHASE 08/18 AMZN.COM/BILL WA CARD 3301

to

Amazon

Some people can tolerate a messy payee list. This is for the rest of us YNABers who present with sub-clinical OCD when it comes to our payee list.

API Goodness — In celebration of the launch of YNAB’s public API, we held a contest to find the best new integration. We got a ton of fantastic submissions. Check out the winners and honorable mentions. If you’re interested in learning more about the API, check out the docs and head over to the forums with your questions.

Database Optimizations — Booorrrrriiinnnnngg. Well, yes, arguably, but hear me out, the numbers alone on this one are impressive, even if they didn’t mean YNAB’s more responsive across the board. Here’s a sample:
YNAB 4 imports were taking upwards of ten minutes. Now they take about 10 seconds. Shamwow!
We strategically converted some B-tree indices to Hash, reclaiming some 350Gb of space in the process. And we’ve identified others we’ll convert over time for an addition 750Gb savings. Not too shabby.
Now, You Can Use Your Google Account to Sign up and Log in to YNAB — This can be in addition to, or instead of, your email/password combo. Both login methods will continue to work. Impress your friends by switching between the two with an air of nonchalance.

Mobile Help got some design love. It’s better organized, with a more intuitive UI.

The iOS app now supports Siri Shortcuts. Check it out if you find yourself entering the same purchase time after time. The daily triple, venti, half-sweet, skinny, caramel macchiato is a good candidate for this.

Mobile’s been enjoying it for a while, but now you can live chat with our lovely support team in the web app.

We no longer force you to refresh the browser with every web release.
As you can see, we do our level best to make the app ergonomic and intuitive so it just works for you. That said, we're also realists, so we hired a passel of seasonal support reps to make sure we're as responsive in this high season as we are the rest of the year. If you have a question, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Happy budgeting!

We email You Need an Update roughly six times per year. If that's not enough for you, fret not. We also publish bespoke release notes with each release. They include bug fixes and updates as well as feature announcements. They're generally more terse than what you see here.

For a tiny peek over the YNAB horizon, check out what's up next.

And have you considered signing up for the YNAB Weekly Roundup email? We keep 'em short, informative, and as hilarious as practicable. Collect them all! Trade with your friends!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Yeah...that’s not super impressive for the end user, is it?

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

wow, they've recovered 350 gigs of space they wouldn't be using if they were still developing a desktop application

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
they also posted the API contest winners and there's some cool stuff in there...

YNAB CE-bro posted:

https://www.youneedabudget.com/announcing-the-ynab-api-contest-winners/

Meet the best in show & put them to work in your budget!

When we released YNAB’s public API, we were excited. Flash forward, and our hopes have been realized—we’ve seen some very cool, new developments. Seriously, even if “API integration” sounds like mumbo jumbo to you, keep reading to find out how the API can make your budget more extra.

To kick things off, we hosted an API development contest and received dozens of entries. Then it was up to our panel of five judges, including two developers, a designer, a customer support representative and one of those jokers from our marketing team. They assessed each submission for innovation, usefulness, foresight, usability and cohesiveness with The Four Rules.

It was satisfying, if not easy, work … and we’re so pleased to announce the winners!
First Place Goes to James Miller
for Allowance for YNAB

James Miller’s app, Allowance for YNAB, earned him first place and our grand prize, a virtual reality headset/rig (up to $3,000 total), plus three years of YNAB.

Allowance for YNAB is an iOS app that allows you to choose a few of your most-used budget categories and display their balances in prominent places. You can view your favorite categories within the app, in the Today Widget, or by using force touch on the app. This allows you to check balances quickly and easily without opening YNAB. Read more here.
Second Place Goes to Darren Taylor
for Family Budgets

Our runner-up is Darren Taylor’s Family Budgets, which earned him second place, an iPhone X or Google Pixel 2 XL, and a year of YNAB.

Family Budgets lets you create a profile and integrate that profile with your YNAB budget. This allows you to share your budget with another user, but with limited access, as determined by you! Use the profile settings to select which categories the user may view and record transactions to.
And the Honorable Mentions Go to …

Finally, we’d be remiss without including three, well-deserved honorable mentions:

Monzo to YNAB, developed by Ashley Hindle, allows users to link their YNAB account with Monzo bank in order to import transactions in real time.
Beyond Rule 4, by John Morrissey, turns your YNAB data into a chart that shows how far along you are in your journey to financial independence.
YNAB Multi-Currency, by Rafael Millán, lets you budget with multiple currencies in a single budget. This integration automatically converts transactions from your bank accounts that hold a foreign currency into the currency that you use in your YNAB budget.

Everyone’s A Winner!

The prizes are accounted for, but we’re all winners in this contest—and the fun doesn’t have to end! If you’re a YNABer, definitely check out this winning lineup of integrations.

And, calling all developers: Our API is ready and willing! If you’ve got an idea up your sleeve, check out our API documentation for everything you need to start your own integration. And our Support Forum is a great place to share your work. See you in there!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Too bad the Budgetwise guy got held up with this bank import bullshit, which didn't help progression of his app. He was pondering to ice development of it to focus on actual improvements. I wonder how that turned out.

Also meh that Quicken became an even worse shitshow. At this point, I really want something to just track finances, with multiple levels of categories (not just master-subcategory) and some decent reporting, which also doesn't look like a cheap-rear end web app. --edit: Oh, and it needs the Income and Expense report sheet thingy. Barely anything else other than YNAB and Quicken seem to have that.

--edit: Hmm, Pocketsmith is finally working on roll-over budgets. Hope they finish and release that soon. That certainly sounds interesting, because they also have forecasting based on your scheduled bills and poo poo like that.

--edit: Dear god, they do more than two levels, and if the child category doesn't have anything assigned, it'll subtract from the parent. This is something I've wanted, that'd allow to pool budgeted money but split it into categories for reporting purposes! God, hurry up with the roll-over stuff.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 13, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Dear god, they do more than two levels, and if the child category doesn't have anything assigned, it'll subtract from the parent. This is something I've wanted, that'd allow to pool budgeted money but split it into categories for reporting purposes! God, hurry up with the roll-over stuff.

I hack this in YNAB by creating a master for say, “hobbies”
And I’ll budget $x to a sub-category called master
And then I’ll have sub-categories for everything else I spend money on there, so computers and tools and music equipment etc, each with $0 budgeted. And when I spend money, I just do an auto-move from master to “tools”

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So my free trial of YNAB is ending and honestly $80 a year is more than I’d rather spend, but I’ll do it if I have to.

Are there any apps with the same functionality but cheaper/free?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

nwin posted:

So my free trial of YNAB is ending and honestly $80 a year is more than I’d rather spend, but I’ll do it if I have to.

YNAB 4 :v:

In all seriousness though, I think a few of them have been discussed in the last page or two with positives and negatives (Financier I recall is one that was thrown around but I’ve never used it myself).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Financier is adaquate but there are no reports or scheduled/reoccuring transactions. It's only $12 a year (which lets you save your budget online and sync it), otherwise it's just in the browser cache).

there's also a mobile site now (https://app.fmobile.io/), which you need the paid plan to really make use of.

Also it'll probably never be updated. It's feature complete enough for the dev's personal use and he's basically said he's done workin on it, so the cost pretty much just cover the server costs and maybe a smidge extra.

It's probably not goin anywhere but it's probably not going to get any new updates either.

quote:

There has been a lot discussion on this, mostly in the forums. Here is a summary:

The developer created Financier for himself and released it to us as an alternative to nYNAB etc. For him, it has the features he needs.

The front end is open sourced so anyone can develop features for it. The developer may do that but more likely someone else will (@asromzek).

Features that you may be missing from nYNAB (Some workarounds/external options exist):

Recurring Transactions - More complicated that meets the eye but most likely to developed

Robust reporting - also likely to be developed and workarounds exist by exporting data and utilizing external apps (Excel, Google Sheet, Google Data Studio)

Auto import of transactions - expensive. Very unlikely.

Import of financial files - possible though I haven't heard of anything in the works

Goals - possible though I haven't heard of anything in the works

yNAB Colour Scheme - Stylish: (https://userstyles.org/styles/155955/financier-nynabish)

Age of Money - NEVER!

Personally, I tried nYNAB a few times and hated it. I stuck with YNAB4 in parallel with Financier but made the transition, full time, to Financier almost 2 years ago. Of the features missing, Recurring Transactions would help me the most though I don't really think about it anymore.

Financier has been incredibly stable and has everything I need to monitor my finances as is. I don't see myself go anywhere else in the future. Even the wife is happy.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

There’s no app with Financier, just a website, correct?

The only thing it sounds like I’ll miss then is the app and the importing transactions from my credit cards, but I can live with that.

Thanks all.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
the mobile site will cache offline and sync when you're back online, I'm pretty sure. just bookmark it on your home screen

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad the Budgetwise guy got held up with this bank import bullshit, which didn't help progression of his app. He was pondering to ice development of it to focus on actual improvements. I wonder how that turned out.

Also meh that Quicken became an even worse shitshow. At this point, I really want something to just track finances, with multiple levels of categories (not just master-subcategory) and some decent reporting, which also doesn't look like a cheap-rear end web app. --edit: Oh, and it needs the Income and Expense report sheet thingy. Barely anything else other than YNAB and Quicken seem to have that.

--edit: Hmm, Pocketsmith is finally working on roll-over budgets. Hope they finish and release that soon. That certainly sounds interesting, because they also have forecasting based on your scheduled bills and poo poo like that.

I don't understand what you mean by roll-over budgets... does that mean you can't use the budget values from last month or that you can't let an account for work expenses carry a negative balance from month to month?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

nwin posted:

Budgetwise. He is working hard on improving it and is an one man show.

I have an account but I let the trail end. I will buy a subscription when my YNAB one expires.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

greazeball posted:

I don't understand what you mean by roll-over budgets... does that mean you can't use the budget values from last month or that you can't let an account for work expenses carry a negative balance from month to month?
Like YNAB does it. I guess envelope budgeting is the right word. PocketSmith has currently only fixed amounts over a certain time span (they have flexible periods), surpluses don't move automatically into the next period. But per their support site, they're working on envelope budgeting. Seems like they're feeling the heat from YNAB, because I've requested it like back in 2015 already, when I gave it a spin.

The forecasting in it is pretty nice, tho. Helps with my car purchase planning. I'm currently giving it another test.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

drive me nuts to school posted:

The way nuYNAB handles credit cards is very poor. Just make the account a checking account and never have to worry about positive credit card budget lines again.

Can anyone explain this more? Is it because credit cards let you spend money you don't have so it messes with the budgeting, but if you pay off your cards every month, that doesn't really matter?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

smackfu posted:

Can anyone explain this more? Is it because credit cards let you spend money you don't have so it messes with the budgeting, but if you pay off your cards every month, that doesn't really matter?

Their coding doesn't handle it well all around. One known defect is redemptions and credits come back and gently caress everything up. You get all of the same functionality by indicating it as a Checking account and not worrying about letting YNAB auto-budget you an unnecessary category.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you pay it off every month, just create a regular account. It'll create debt that'll adjust the budget categories and net worth, i.e. the money you've assigned will be defacto gone, and when you pay off the card, it'll be a zero sum thing.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

tuyop posted:

No, looking back it’s just been going up as a balance since like, April 2018. It’s just a card I use for expenses and the balance autopays each month! I don’t even look at it as a budget line.

If I zero it out, poo poo is going to be all messed up too.

Do you get cash back on that card as statement balances?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Is your autopayment categorized as a Payee: Transfer to Credit Card?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DrNewton posted:

Budgetwise. He is working hard on improving it and is an one man show.

I have an account but I let the trail end. I will buy a subscription when my YNAB one expires.

Ermagherd, thanks for this recommendation! I've been spiralling on spending without a budget ever since YNAB moved to the subscription model and just haven't found anything else I like. Tried my bank's budgeting software and it's just unbearably bad.

I tried to import my stuff to the new version of YNAB but I just really hate spending goddamn near a hundred bucks a year for a budget. I'd be fine spending a one time hefty lump sum for lifetime access to new YNAB, but they don't have a lifetime subscription option, so gently caress them. I'd even be fine spending up to 3-4$ a month for access, but YNAB is double what I'm willing to pay, especially considering I already spent a bunch of money buying the actual loving software.

Meanwhile, I'm just getting started on Budgetwise, and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Auto bank import even works flawlessly! Plus a lifetime subscription is only a hundred bucks, so gently caress yeah.

Sucks the suck YNAB let us down, but at least there are good alternatives.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
And thanks again on budgetwise it looks nice and like I could actually enter categories from my phone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh he's dropping bank sync, so I figure the update cycle should shorten. Seems like the provider was causing him a lot of grief.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh he's dropping bank sync, so I figure the update cycle should shorten. Seems like the provider was causing him a lot of grief.

Supposed to be releasing off budget accounts in the next update too, which was the standout feature he was missing from New YNAB. I actually just bought the lifetime subscription, very excited about Budgetwise.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I've seen other people recently mention this, but just to confirm YNAB now has a monthly fee and isn't just $60 for the license?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I've seen other people recently mention this, but just to confirm YNAB now has a monthly fee and isn't just $60 for the license?

It's a yearly fee, as stated on their website under "pricing"
https://www.youneedabudget.com/pricing/

Ynab website posted:

YNAB costs $6.99/month, billed annually at $83.99

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I hope it comes with a built-in monthly expense budgeting category for itself.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I do have a YNAB category in YNAB :v:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
They have you set that up during the tutorial.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

YNAB44LYFE

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Same.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i was lucky and jumped on quickly so my nYNAB is 45/yr

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'll probably jump to Budgetwise once they add in the stuff in this upcoming update. I've been using Financier for over two years now and I miss having reports.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Old YNAB works perfectly in Wine on Mint 19 for those who were curious.

I'm going to run this program in a VM long past its expiration date. If the online version ever reaches feature parity I'd consider moving, but they'd have to lower the price to something more reasonable which I doubt would ever happen.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Mad Wack posted:

i was lucky and jumped on quickly so my nYNAB is 45/yr

Same. I roll my eyes every year when it charges but I love the web based setup and I'm too lazy to figure out a new system so they will continue to get my 45 buckaroos every year until I come up with something better. Budgetwise ain't it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

IMO the charge it worth it so I don't have to fiddle with a couple systems or import the stuff from my bank manually. I'm at a point in life where spending a few bucks for things to "just work" is 100% worth it.