Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I’ve seen this Zack S thing on twitter but have little engagement with the community in general. Apparently he has a history of this sort of thing and it looks like people have spoken up before without anything being done. Is there something accessible for an outsider that covers the whole saga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
https://tabletopsmissingstairs.blogspot.com/2019/02/zak-s-and-other-horrible-tabletop-people.html

Haven't had a chance to read that through myself yet but Strix is passing it around as a convenient resource for new people on the problem.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I am not making this about me, I am asking that you give me time to finish before you start slamming me. You may do so after I've posted it.

Who the gently caress are you? :confused:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

amenbrotep posted:

I’ve seen this Zack S thing on twitter but have little engagement with the community in general. Apparently he has a history of this sort of thing and it looks like people have spoken up before without anything being done. Is there something accessible for an outsider that covers the whole saga?

Short answer? No.

The whole mess covers almost a decade of disconnected blog posts, forum threads, Twitter conversations, emails, G+ threads, and God only knows what else -- at least some of which were deliberately kept secret for one reason or another. Significant chunks of it have been memory holed by Zak himself, who at least once Kramered into a conversation about logic, got owned, then flounced out and deleted all his posts. Also when he harassed e.g. Terra Frank clean off the internet (for the crime of not liking LotFP) she deleted all her social media presences and so no evidence of the incident remains.

As a slightly longer answer: He has performed every lovely internet act one can perform, including but not limited to harassing multiple people out of gaming and offline completely, serial stalking anyone who says a bad word about him, wielding his loyal minions like a loving battleaxe, maintaining secret G+ groups where he posts harassment targets, insinuating sockpuppets into the follows of people he dislikes, impersonating people, and naming paintings after the games of someone he didn't like in a half-assed attempt to break their SEO.

As a reward he got a namecheck as a consultant in D&D 5e, hired to work on nuWW, was something of an eminence gris behind Contessa, and became a big name writing for LotFP -- because this hobby is loving trash.

Then two days ago we all found out that he's also been physically, emotionally, and sexually abusing basically every woman he's come into contact with, and serial raping his way through his local BDSM scene.

Sooooo... gently caress that guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

https://tabletopsmissingstairs.blogspot.com/2019/02/zak-s-and-other-horrible-tabletop-people.html

Haven't had a chance to read that through myself yet but Strix is passing it around as a convenient resource for new people on the problem.

Honestly this is as good as it gets for a Newbie's Guide to Garbage Human Zak. It's got Ettin's 'That Time Zak Ran a Harassment Blog,' Jay Allen talking about Zak running somebody else off, Olivia Hill talking about her experiences, Zak's cosplay as RPG.net's administrator Shannon on Reddit, all the greatest hits (with additional 'don't forget Tarnowski's a jackass' for good measure at points).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
IIRC Z is a dude who got one of his hangers-on to email a lady who was criticizing him a picture of her kid's school, taken that afternoon.

Edit: corrected as I misremembered who was the victim.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 13, 2019

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pollyanna posted:

Who the gently caress are you? :confused:

He stridently and semi-frequently defends the grosser portion of the OSR in the OSR thread. I'm not sure why he thought anyone would care about his ludicrously drawn out non-apology.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
It looks as if Geek & Sundry have been wiping any videos which Zak was involved in, because he is/was Satine Phoenix's (Wizards community manager) 'best friend' and she got him on there a few times.

Something's happened with the 'Demon City' kickstarter he was co-sponsor of as dozens of people are now asking for their names to be removed and even not to be sent the product when it's finished. It was going on beforehand, but there's a hidden 'backer only' update, since which the numbers have swelled with a bunch asking for their book to be sold and money donated to charity.

Zak claimed he'll be posting a response to Mandy today or tomorrow. I won't be surprised if he's paused that because of Vivka adding her testimony about his abuse. Raggi's refusing to say anything 'until Zak has responded' so I'll also not be surprised to learn they're crafting it together.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

potatocubed posted:

Then two days ago we all found out that he's also been physically, emotionally, and sexually abusing basically every woman he's come into contact with, and serial raping his way through his local BDSM scene.

Do any of his old posts on tradgames remain? He was an absolute trainwreck here and lasted maybe a few days off probation, if memory serves

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Loomer posted:

potatocubed posted:

Short answer? No.

The whole mess covers almost a decade of disconnected blog posts, forum threads, Twitter conversations, emails, G+ threads, and God only knows what else -- at least some of which were deliberately kept secret for one reason or another. Significant chunks of it have been memory holed by Zak himself, who at least once Kramered into a conversation about logic, got owned, then flounced out and deleted all his posts. Also when he harassed e.g. Terra Frank clean off the internet (for the crime of not liking LotFP) she deleted all her social media presences and so no evidence of the incident remains.

As a slightly longer answer: He has performed every lovely internet act one can perform, including but not limited to harassing multiple people out of gaming and offline completely, serial stalking anyone who says a bad word about him, wielding his loyal minions like a loving battleaxe, maintaining secret G+ groups where he posts harassment targets, insinuating sockpuppets into the follows of people he dislikes, impersonating people, and naming paintings after the games of someone he didn't like in a half-assed attempt to break their SEO.

As a reward he got a namecheck as a consultant in D&D 5e, hired to work on nuWW, was something of an eminence gris behind Contessa, and became a big name writing for LotFP -- because this hobby is loving trash.

Really appreciate it. Trying to wrap my head around it—my brother is really into the board game/role playing scene and is going through some rough times: he’s mentioned the Zack Z thing a few times today and I really appreciate you going out of your way to help me understand it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Liquid Communism posted:

IIRC this is a dude who got one of his hangers-on to email a guy who was criticizing him a picture of his kid's school, taken that afternoon.

A girl (that was Olivia Hill).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Why would we even believe that he had an accomplice email Olivia that picture? Isn't it much more likely that he did it himself through one of his many email accounts? If there is one thing we know Zak loves, it's sock puppeting. (Sock puppeteering?)

Or is the accomplice a known individual?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PST posted:

Something's happened with the 'Demon City' kickstarter he was co-sponsor of as dozens of people are now asking for their names to be removed and even not to be sent the product when it's finished. It was going on beforehand, but there's a hidden 'backer only' update, since which the numbers have swelled with a bunch asking for their book to be sold and money donated to charity.

Taken from someone at RPG.net:

quote:

Dear Backers,

I apologize for the delay providing an update or response to the recent disclosures by Mandy Morbid alleging abuse and sexual assault by Zak Smith, the author of Demon City.

Zak has announced he will release his own statement but it is my responsibility as the publisher of Demon City and owner of DIY RPG Productions to make a statement.

These allegations against Zak are disturbing and have weighed heavily on me and on my involvement with the project—along with what to do about a project that contains many freelancers and individuals in the middle of delivering this project to print.

I do not condone sexual violence, coercion, assault, or violence of any kind especially against women.

Transparently: the money has been spent in the process of delivering a book on the timeline established on the Kickstarter—Shawn has been hard at work on layout and the end was in sight before this news broke. It is a devastating disclosure and I can understand why people would want their name removed from any aspect of this book and will work to honor that. However, I cannot unpay freelancers or printers. The money is simply not there.

If any backers do not wish to accept their copy of Demon City, I will flag those books to be sold first and if/when they do, the entire amount of that purchase will go to one of two charities: The National Domestic Violence Hotline or Futures Without Violence.

In accordance to Kickstarter’s Terms of Use and rules, I am contractually and legally obligated to fulfill the project. I will continue to push Demon City forward and fulfill pledges as I, and my company, committed to do.

Refunds cannot be issued, as this project has moved quickly, and the funds have gone directly into the project’s full development. Thank you for your understanding in this regard and know that I fully realize the frustration and anger this situation has generated. I am attempting to do as right by people’s decisions as I can. If you have any further questions or concerns you can reach me directly at REDACTED.

Finally, I want to say thank you to everyone who has reached out and offered support, compassion, and understanding for myself and DIY RPG Productions through this.

Thank you,
Mike Evans

PST posted:

Zak claimed he'll be posting a response to Mandy today or tomorrow. I won't be surprised if he's paused that because of Vivka adding her testimony about his abuse. Raggi's refusing to say anything 'until Zak has responded' so I'll also not be surprised to learn they're crafting it together.

I don't know if I would characterize this as an upside, but with poo poo like Al Franken and Justin Fairfax, the denial of allegations of the first victim is always snowed-under by multiple people then starting to speak up and confirming the pattern of behavior.

He's not going to be able to claim that this was just one "toxic relationship", whatever.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Nor will he be able to meaningfully argue that this is just people who hate sex workers again, with half of the allegations coming from extremely visible sex workers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

Why would we even believe that he had an accomplice email Olivia that picture? Isn't it much more likely that he did it himself through one of his many email accounts? If there is one thing we know Zak loves, it's sock puppeting. (Sock puppeteering?)

Or is the accomplice a known individual?

A while back, Olivia wrote about an encounter she had with someone, not Zak S, who she immediately suspected of being not-who-they-claimed to be. They spoke, they had lunch, and she deliberately dropped a piece of information that she knew to be expressly untrue, but detailed enough to be specifically identifiable.

Those details then immediately started filtering back through her as people started harassing her again.

So that's a pretty good indicator that there are people who really go out of their way to be accomplices for Zak.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Liquid Communism posted:

IIRC this is a dude who got one of his hangers-on to email a guy who was criticizing him a picture of his kid's school, taken that afternoon.
Gal not dude

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Wow. Imagine being so pathetic that you would do that for a shitstain like Zak.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Taken from someone at RPG.net:

That's a pretty good response (I got banned over there for answering a question about Mark Diaz Truman that a bunch of oother people also answered without being banned, but that's rpg.net moderation at times, nonsensical).

Reddit on this has been pretty interesting, other than some obvious wankers, it's pretty broad contempt for Zak. The OSR crowd now want any mention of him to be 'off topic' as if they can cover him his influence and direction of them over the past x years.

D&D types though are 'how dare anyone criticise Mearls'

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gal not guy, specifically referring to the target who had their picture taken, as the wording of that can be ambiguous.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

andrew smash posted:

He stridently and semi-frequently defends the grosser portion of the OSR in the OSR thread. I'm not sure why he thought anyone would care about his ludicrously drawn out non-apology.
Look at his posts in just this thread. It's mostly mocking us for taking offense to things like OSR people trying to sell an expensive set of dice that were overcosted because they were rubbed though the afro of their one black friend and had inherited some of their majyycks.
Or the OSR people trying to gatekeep people who didn't possess the correct opinions on D&D from playing.
Or the monster entry for "subhuman jungle savages" that stated they were incapable of any thought beyond pleasures of the flesh without a more intelligent evil white man to lead them.

What his posts in this thread so not contain is an apology to the person he chased out of the main OSR thread.

He priced himself in to believing Zak's bullshit and does not deserve your sympathy.

Loomer posted:

Nor will he be able to meaningfully argue that this is just people who hate sex workers again, with half of the allegations coming from extremely visible sex workers.

Clearly sex positivity is a signed integer and he rolled over from a very high value to an infinitely negative one.

That or he's been lying this whole time.
:iiam:

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

A while back, Olivia wrote about an encounter she had with someone, not Zak S, who she immediately suspected of being not-who-they-claimed to be. They spoke, they had lunch, and she deliberately dropped a piece of information that she knew to be expressly untrue, but detailed enough to be specifically identifiable.

Those details then immediately started filtering back through her as people started harassing her again.

So that's a pretty good indicator that there are people who really go out of their way to be accomplices for Zak.

Don't know if it matters, but that person was Kirin Robinson. He made a game called Old School Hack a number of years ago.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

http://neuralarchive.blogspot.com/2019/02/regarding-zak-s.html

Above includes screenshots of an email exchange today with Zak.

'there's more to this than meets the eye' - he's certainly not going all out with a full-throated defence.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BrainParasite posted:

Aw gently caress, I still follow her. What did she do?

She was a shithead to me personally invalidating my experiences with my Weird Gender poo poo and when she was told this by basically everyone she threw a hissy fit, never apologized, and then gaslighted me claiming she did and I just ignored it

Bofa was a wild ride

Warthur
May 2, 2004

(On Demon City):

PST posted:

That's a pretty good response
Eh, I think there's a certain amount of "Oh poo poo, I knowingly dined with the devil and now he's left me with the cheque" to it, but on the other hand it seems like as reasonable a response as could be hoped for. "I cannot refund you, I turned the money into the books you said you wanted" is a pretty strong excuse as far as Kickstarters go, and he's effectively offering to sell the books for charity on the backers' behalf if they don't want their reward any more. And the dude at least sounds suitably hangdog and ashamed of having been an enabler for Zak; I get the impression it's not going to see a second print run (or if it does it won't be this publisher dirtying their hands with it).

Plus, of course, anyone who backed Demon City arguably was being an enabler for Zak too, especially if they backed it knowing his reputation beforehand. So out of all the people upset in this situation, I think their upset that their name might be associated with Zak's work should be the least of anyone's worries.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rand Brittain posted:

A girl (that was Olivia Hill).

Ah, apologies, I thought it was someone else who was targeted. No offense meant, and I corrected my post.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 13, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Look at his posts in just this thread. It's mostly mocking us for taking offense to things like OSR people trying to sell an expensive set of dice that were overcosted because they were rubbed though the afro of their one black friend and had inherited some of their majyycks.

what

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lmao, what the hell kind of person thinks this is a good idea

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

You got a problem with representation?

Guys, it's a joke, reacting this angrily to a joke...what do I even need to say?
These people do not take themselves this seriously.
They embrace new players.
They self deprecate themselves all the time.
Your image of an angry grouchy Goodman Games filled with assholes who gatekeep is mind boggling. I've met these guys. They're not that.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

MachineIV posted:

Don't know if it matters, but that person was Kirin Robinson. He made a game called Old School Hack a number of years ago.

It matters to me, because that behavior is creepy af. I don’t really get into OSR but if I know anyone who gets into their stuff I’ll warn them away like I’ve already been doing for Zak.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Brother Entropy posted:

a white person

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

The OSR is a cesspit full of people with reactionary opinions about both game design and the world in general.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 13, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, that's a good statement. I only just started watching the show, and I would have been sad if they were secretly awful people.

Also he's shouting this to a pretty huge audience, so no putting that back in the bag now.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

A racist.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dungeon Crawl Classics is not good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dwarf74 posted:

Wow, that's a good statement. I only just started watching the show, and I would have been sad if they were secretly awful people.

Also he's shouting this to a pretty huge audience, so no putting that back in the bag now.

yea Matt has been a pretty stand up guy about stuff in general. I was kinda assuming they'd just not talk about it since I would agree even with their ties to the company with stuff like the ads they do and all you can really easily say a bunch of people on an AP show don't really represent Wizards and seem to have no actual connection to Mike aside from 'met him at a con and maybe took some pictures'.

Nice to be surprised by this, though. Good for him.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

I just hope he goes one step further and engages with the Mearls stuff.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Part of what may be going on is Zak trying his usual levers behind the scenes and finding them less responsive than in the past.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mors Rattus posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics is not good.

yeah I've had my reckoning with this product over the last year and decided there's just too much baggage there after finding the bestiary entry for "Subhuman"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Arthil posted:

I think one reason I'm trying to watch this situation closely is that Zak managed to twist and manipulate Mandy into thinking he was worth protecting. And that was with him being abusive towards her directly. The thought that the man could have easily manipulated a lot of people who were not so directly linked to his personal life would come as no shock to me whatsoever. I've been keeping an eye on the responses to the original post myself, Facebook hasn't turned anything up but I'm just hoping I don't end up seeing people throwing further abuse at her simply for the association she once had with him. Because quite frankly some people are that cruel.

One of the things that tends to be really common with domestic violence is for the abuser to create and push a narrative that outsiders won't understand the relationship. It's one way in which the victim can be isolated from people who care about them. And when people try to help, they do so by trying to expose how toxic the relationship is. Except that literally builds into the narrative that people won't understand their love. It's not really weird or abnormal that she defended him. It's what abusers train them to do. No two abusive relationships are exactly the same but this tends to be really common in them. Zak S is a piece of poo poo, but he doesn't have special poo poo powers. It's just a standard play in the abuser playbook.