Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I actually like the new Mercedes livery.

The Red Bull one? I like the concept, and a little dash of yellow would have made it good, imo. But with only the two colors (and the strange glossy stripes on the sidepods) it looks odd...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That livery will never be seen on track and y'all know it. It'll be the same Red Bull livery as soon as they get to Spain.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

njsykora posted:

That livery will never be seen on track and y'all know it. It'll be the same Red Bull livery as soon as they get to Spain.

Yeah, I guess it's just a test livery. To be honest, last years test livery was pretty awesome imo, and I wish they'd have the balls to race that. But with big companies likeh Red Bull, brand recognition is everything.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Maybe they can lend the livery to Williams once they used it up in testing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's amazing how brilliant and sophisticated failure can be

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

td4guy posted:

The reason why Honda engines sound like a fart-in-a-tuba as they decelerate is because the geniuses at Honda decided that they would try and cheat the rules by switching their MGU-H from harvest mode to energy deployment mode...like 20 to 40 times per second. It's the most rear end-backwards retarded way to run a hybrid system. Imagine the shock and the laughs at Mercedes when the engine guys got word of their competitor's "innovation".

They're using the mass of the turbine as a flywheel to receive and then harvest an additional 1MJ of energy from the MGU-K per lap. They just swap it on and off repeatedly. Remember, the turbine's only allowed to go so fast (125000rpm). So during the course of 50 milliseconds, it'll *click* spend 25 milliseconds directing energy from the MGU-K to the MGU-H turbine, spooling it up to max speed. Then *click* another 25 milliseconds will be spent dumping that kinetic energy into the battery. *click* More energy comes in from the MGU-K. *click*

Repeat until the turbo fails.

https://imgur.com/a/SanOP

Great post!

It's like these guys have never heard of a context switch. This is textbook optimization vs reliability and common sense. What a great theoretical idea that throws everything else out the window.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im an idiot and i dont understand nothing about that very informative and well put post. It seems to me Honda designed their hibrid sistem to be on constant stress trying to harvest and deploy power? Anyways thanks for that!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The Red Bull demo livery is crappy on that car but would probably look good on some other vehicle.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

Merc running a bit more rake this year?

Use the code F1TV50 when signing up.

Looks perfect for a team of british shithouse clown fraud cheaters imho #ForzaFerrari

Looks perfect for a team of british shithouse clown fraud cheaters imho #ForzaFerrari

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

it looks rather cool on track, imo

e: the minimal size of the sidepods is nuts. Looks like they are even smaller on the back than last year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuo posted:

it looks rather cool on track, imo

e: the minimal size of the sidepods is nuts. Looks like they are even smaller on the back than last year.

Must be cold out

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ScuderiaFerrari/status/1095677606962384896?s=19
This year marks the 90th anniversary of Scuderia Ferrari. Posts your favorite Ferrari memories ITT. Please be respectful

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

This year marks the 90th anniversary of Scuderia Ferrari. Posts your favorite Ferrari memories ITT. Please be respectful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW3NDGk6YQE

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

harperdc posted:

It is not (Brown was CEO), but instead John Paul DeJoria, who has numerous other holdings and far too much money.

Didn’t put it together but ROKiT also became the jersey sponsors for the Houston Rockets in the NBA, so. Spectacular failures?

Well, apart from one James Harden, yea, they are.

I like it?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

iospace posted:

I like it?

Same, no yellow or blue makes me think it's something else that isn't a red bull but it's cool as a standalone

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tuo posted:

Tightly packaging a Honda engine has never been a problem before, so I am hopeful for lots of Max wins this year

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Thanks Ants posted:

Tightly packaging a Honda engine has never been a problem before, so I am hopeful for lots of Max wins this year

Can't see burnmarks on that livery, I guess ;)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

Wow what a team, very cool imo. #ForzaFerrari

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

DoctorGonzo posted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

T-30 until we see the car Lance Stroll will dominate F1 with

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Triggered because someone likes different colors than you? Wow.

Go back to 4chan where you belong

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I liked when the cowardly Ferrari rammed the noble Williams but still lost the championship.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

OhsH posted:

Go back to 4chan where you belong

don't get your hopes up

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

holy gently caress :barf: it's like RBR saw Williams' livery and went, "here, hold my beer" and then stuffed their hands in their anus and rubbed poo poo all over an f1 car

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

GramCracker posted:

holy gently caress :barf: it's like RBR saw Williams' livery and went, "here, hold my beer" and then stuffed their hands in their anus and rubbed poo poo all over an f1 car

McLaren did the same, only they tried to build the car out of said poo poo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
So many great Ferrari memories! The Schumacher years were great. The more recent years with Kimi have always been fun, more because Kimi is great. Here’s hoping Leclerc smashes it in 2019! :cheers:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Why does that car have a butthole?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidpoocati posted:

Why does that car have a butthole?

Keeps the boundary layer attached, of course

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for your serious posts, shame about the smoothbrains disrespecting Scuderia Ferrari.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The greatest Ferrari triumph will be this year when noted good lad Big Sharrrrrrl wins epically for the Scud and both Poois Shamilton and Max Shitcrappen poop their pants and cry like the big gay babies they are.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The dedication of a ferrari fan itt made me learn about the completo and chacarero, so Ferrari is cool and good

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

1500quidpoocati posted:

The greatest Ferrari triumph will be this year when noted good lad Big Sharrrrrrl wins epically for the Scud and both Poois Shamilton and Max Shitcrappen poop their pants and cry like the big gay babies they are.

:awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!