Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Cancelling Luke Cage but giving Kevin Smith a show? GODDAMN YOU MARVEL/DISNEY!

Seriously though Kevin Smith seems like a nice guy but his output is terrible.

Edit: I'm watching the fifth season of The Blacklist and it's such a dumb show but I can't stop watching.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

True Detective is so average this season. At least it’s better than season 2.

I notice the “wow it’s so good!!” posts in this thread died off after the second week
I'm still enjoying it a lot v:shobon:v

The quality may have fallen off a little after those first 2 episodes, but it's still pretty compelling television IMO

I read on Twitter someone saying season 2 was better than this one, and just like........gently caress no hahahahaha

Season 2 was completely devoid of anything memorable and I was almost completely checked out a couple episodes in. This season has me WAY more engaged.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Season 2 was completely devoid of anything memorable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Nwaws1xOE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:lol:

See, I'd completely forgotten Rachel McAdams was even in that season. I just remember Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. That's pretty good tho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TD S2 had a lot of great moments, but not enough to save the whole season. When it's bad it's bad in a really funny way to me, though, it's just so ridiculous and over the top.

I admit I've seen it more than once since it aired.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh hai there

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

True Detective S2's opening owns but that's mostly because of Leonard Cohen. It also had the world's saddest songstress in the dive bar and this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ6qZryi1KY

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
True Detective s2 owns except the weird stuff they did with the gay guy and the bafflingly terrible finale. The first 3/4 of the season is fuckin great

In catching up on s3 right now and on episode 5 and it's better than s1 and s2 imo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Still, I think its possible that eventually they just worked out the problems and actually found a groove which made renewing it easier. But I'm just randomly speculating at that, I don't actually have any reason to believe it.

They fired the new showrunner just before filming the finale, and they couldn't get anyone to come back and write a new version for ages.

I don't think the problems with the production were Fuller (or Michael Green, who was fired alongside Fuller).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
True Detective s2 has by far the best intro of the three (who remembers the shot of Harrelson with roads over his face in s1 lmao) but yeah other than that I found it pretty embarrassing. Remember when there was a “lol vapes look like robot dicks” line that you could tell Nicky P thought he was the first person to think of? Or when Kitsch’s character was driving and then just had to SCREEEEEEAM because of the drama of his life

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
More like rear end Defective

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I didn't watch S2 long enough to learn which character was the true detective.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lycus posted:

I didn't watch S2 long enough to learn which character was the true detective.

That means you were the true detective all along.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Colin Ferrel beating up the father of the kid who bullied his fat son was a fun scene.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Colin Ferrel beating up the father of the kid who bullied his fat son was a fun scene.

Oh yeah that was fun. There were entertaining individual scenes but I still don’t know if I’d call them “good”.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't watched any of it aside from that scene so in my book it's an amazing show.

Edit: clearly I have seen the part with Alexandra Daddario.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 13, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

My family's home church was toxic as gently caress in my teen years because the pastor was a bigoted rear end in a top hat. He eventually retired and gave way to a really amazing man who had devoted his whole life to social justice of the "spend time in political prisons" variety. He was a huge improvement but the core of the parish was still the old way and he was old and unable to really reshape the whole thing. His younger hand picked replacement took over a little while back and seems pretty progressive and is reshaping the parish. Just from a casual viewing I've seen them become much more inclusive to LGBTQ members of the community and become more diverse and younger in their general makeup. And this is just one church in one small community over the course of 30 years or so.
The fact that a local pastor can influence the worldview of his parish so much seems... a bit culty? Like the people lack critical thinking, at least in that environment.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

The fact that a local pastor can influence the worldview of his parish so much seems... a bit culty? Like the people lack critical thinking, at least in that environment.

People lack critical thinking in any group scenario. I don't think that's unique to religious gatherings.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All the CW shows are being taken off Netflix for yet another streaming service.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/warnermedia-reveals-streaming-service-details/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

True Detective s2 owns except the weird stuff they did with the gay guy and the bafflingly terrible finale. The first 3/4 of the season is fuckin great

If the True Detective Colin Farrell season came before the Mcconaughey season, the reception from both the critics and audience would have been completely different.

I am not saying would have been considered prestige TV, more like not as negative. Also I will say season 2 of True Detective was better than season 2 of Westworld.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

It'll be only some of them, I think. Only half of the CW is Warner produced.

But yeah, Riverdale, the Arrowverse, etc. they're all going.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wouldn't be so sure that the Arrowverse shows will disappear from Netflix anytime soon. CW has been very vocal (even as recent as August 2018) about how much Netflix helps the viewership of their shows.

It may happen eventually, but this service will have to establish itself first.

I think this is honestly more telling about DC Universe if they are going to be so quick to put their exclusive shows on another service.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

GreenNight posted:

https://twitter.com/HrishiHirway/status/1095424897914785792?s=19

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That meme needs to die because it isn't the same thing.

Can you just turn off certain channels of your cable when you aren't watching anything on them?
Can you pay your way out of ads and network logos?
Can it even attempt to touch the video quality?
Can you always watch the full back catalog of a show you never watched before?

WTF do people even care about 'multiple bills'? This is 2019, you aren't mailing a check to each one of these services every month.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't give a poo poo about multiple bills, it's trying to find what I want to watch in 6 different god drat apps. Plus the cost tends to add up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Less bills means it’s easier to handle your money, less times money comes out of your bank account, etc.....I’ve been cancelling a lot of my subscriptions and re-upping at the end of the month when I get paid because it’s too much otherwise to remember when what goes out with all the various services.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I don't give a poo poo about multiple bills, it's trying to find what I want to watch in 6 different god drat apps. Plus the cost tends to add up.

This. I already pay one bill for all my subscriptions to various things, to Chase. What would really be cool is a seamless way to search up a thing I want to watch across all that and just go to it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It's true though, depending on what you watch, cable service plus a DVR will be more economical in a couple years than paying 10-15 bucks for several different services. Hell, right now the only thing that makes cable cutting economical for me is the fact that I get Hulu free with my Sprint plan, and that I use my parents Xfinity login for all the apps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

https://www.justwatch.com

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I can only watch Quantum Leap via IMDB Freedive? The hell is this

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GreenNight posted:

I can only watch Quantum Leap via IMDB Freedive? The hell is this

Apparently it's also incomplete because all of Quantum Leap is on the NBC app free of charge. No sign in or anything required.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Piracy getting more and more attractive by the minute.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

Piracy getting more and more attractive by the minute.

TV piracy is super fun and easy and profitable. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PostNouveau posted:

TV piracy is super fun and easy and profitable. All the cool kids are doing it.

Your're thinking of the fornicating.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Your're thinking of the fornicating.

I was thinking sex, but you do you.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
im a butt pirate ama

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
What’s a TV pirate’s favorite show?

Booty and the Beast

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Churches should be like how Christ intended them, breakaway conventions of devout people that ordinarily pray at home willing to split over the slightest wiff of disagreement.

It's the overarching structure that is heavily anti-Christian imo, as a satanist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it's like Jesus said, "Wherever two people are gathered in my name, they better get some loving more people and put up a huge gaudy edifice that can hold thousands of people and has a full immersive AV suite with a jumbotron and multimedia capabilities"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Apparently it's also incomplete because all of Quantum Leap is on the NBC app free of charge. No sign in or anything required.

Oh poo poo it's about time for a Quantum Leap rewatch.

No, seriously. There are some stinkers but overall it's a very solid anthology show with sci-fi underpinnings. I haven't watched the final season but it was quite good up to that point.

I really don't understand how it hasn't returned/been rebooted yet.