Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yeah i thought so, kind of bullshit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

is 130-140 reasonable for a setup? seems pretty steep... only heard of about 70-80 max. i've always done my own setups but i'd like to see how a pro would do it, then replicate that

edit, his demeanor also made it kind of clear that i wasn't the particular "clientele" he's looking for, so i guess i should look elsewhere in this dumb town

My guy charges 55 before strings and the shop near my house is about the same. That's a ripoff, especially if he's lowkey being a dick.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I do my own setups as well but when you get into $100+ territory you've left "setup" prices for much pricier work. This depends on your local market so it's not a rule, but even now I expect to pay $150-180 for a "level" fret-job. My buddy who always paid to have his guitars "set up" with new strings paid about $35. I'd go up to $55 for that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think you’d learn more at YouTube University and continuing to get your hands dirty. I say that after trying the same thing myself. Really it netted me one less guitar I want to mess with.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar to celebrate a big promotion at work, but it's been at least 10 years since I've bought one, and probably half that since I seriously looked at what's out there, so I really have no idea where to start these days. What should I be checking out (brands, models, whatever) if I'm mostly interested in playing stoner rock/metal, hard rock, thrash, blues rock kind of stuff? I'm thinking $800-1200 USD range, but that's kind of flexible. I don't have a strong feeling on pickups, bridge style, trem, or anything like that at this point, I really just want a starting point to begin looking.

Right now the two guitars I have are an Ibanez S series with a fast neck, and a cheapo Epiphone LP that I put some DiMarzios in. It's an absolute brick and a bit of a pain to play, but it actually sounds pretty beefy. If I could find something that sort of hits the best of both worlds (nice slick neck and a lot of body to the tone) I'd probably love it, but I'm up for trying out a lot of options.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Perhaps a PRS?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Perhaps a PRS?

Considering I'm thinking of buying a guitar because I got a promotion, maybe it's time I hang up my dreams of rock stardom and accept that I am indeed a bluesdad

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gibson is for a promotion, prs is for making partner this is federal law

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

gibson is for a promotion, prs is for making partner this is federal law

So he needs to buy a balalaika?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar to celebrate a big promotion at work, but it's been at least 10 years since I've bought one, and probably half that since I seriously looked at what's out there, so I really have no idea where to start these days. What should I be checking out (brands, models, whatever) if I'm mostly interested in playing stoner rock/metal, hard rock, thrash, blues rock kind of stuff? I'm thinking $800-1200 USD range, but that's kind of flexible. I don't have a strong feeling on pickups, bridge style, trem, or anything like that at this point, I really just want a starting point to begin looking.

Right now the two guitars I have are an Ibanez S series with a fast neck, and a cheapo Epiphone LP that I put some DiMarzios in. It's an absolute brick and a bit of a pain to play, but it actually sounds pretty beefy. If I could find something that sort of hits the best of both worlds (nice slick neck and a lot of body to the tone) I'd probably love it, but I'm up for trying out a lot of options.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LBK600MGSBS--esp-ltd-bill-kelliher-bk-600-military-green-sunburst-satin
The ESP Thin U is a little bit thicker than a Wizard but it's still pretty slick (I'm a huge fan of it) and the BK's full-depth so it should still have most of the the Les Paul brickness. ESP also makes some other full-depth EC models but I can't find any on Sweetwater ATM.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Do we still make fun of ridiculous craig's list ads here? Wanted to check out what P90 guitars my area has to offer. I thought I saw what I thought looked like a Slick guitar in the thumbnail and wanted a closer look.

Someone is selling a "custom" double-cut guitar for $600.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/d/van-nuys-custom-doublecut-electric/6813525287.html

What they don't tell you is that it is custom in the sense that they took at $229 guitar:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-SL60-Aged-Brown-Woodgrain-Dual-P90-Pickup-_p_13648.html

Then sanded off the headstock logo and added large (tone) rivets to the body. They kind of look like they might even be plastic glue on rivets. Which as we all know adds $371 in value. It is possible it had a nice setup, fret leveling/crowning/polishing, fret ends smoothed off, working of the neck to make it feel nice and smooth, upgraded electronics. But this is not stated anywhere in the ad and most likely was not done. Every single spec looks exactly the same as on the GF page, so its not like this guy doesn't know what he has.

I know craig's list and scamming go hand-in-hand, but...this one bothered me a lot more than it should I guess.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
He didn't even sand the logo off all the way, if you know to look you can still see it.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm going to make a suggestion and hope that other people will chime in, because I'm thinking about it myself and want some opinions - what about an SG?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

MockingQuantum posted:

Get a Schecter Keith Merrow signature. Then I can live vicariously through you. Then again, if I sold five or six of my guitars... wait, no that’s crazy talk.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Charvel Pro Mod!

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The other day I had a chance to demo a Chapman ML1 Pro and I was really impressed. They make their own versions of Strats/Teles/LPs. Their Pro line is around 900-1100 and may be worth a look.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The Leck posted:

I'm going to make a suggestion and hope that other people will chime in, because I'm thinking about it myself and want some opinions - what about an SG?

Had one, could never get along with it. Something about it just felt off. Never got used to the weird angle that makes the bridge really tall. Looked really cool but felt like a toy.

Obviously, lots of people like them, so maybe I’m just a crank. I do like mahogany guitars with humbuckers. No complaints about others: Guild S-100, 335-S, Flying V.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Finally got back into guitar two days ago after 7 months straight of obsessive bass playing. I'm amazed by how much my guitar playing has improved despite not touching one in months, just from playing some kinda similar.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

My fake suggestion is the new Epiphone DC Pro, because I love me some double cut LP goodness. And would probably buy one myself, but already have an Agile and Hamer double cut LP style guitar.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/DC-PRO.aspx

My real suggestion is to go to a local music shop and play/mess around with every single guitar you see that makes you say "gently caress yeah!" no matter the price range. Then pick your favorite 2 or 3 and play a bunch of those style guitars in your price range from a few different brands. Then pick the one that makes your hands and ears say "gently caress yeah!"

Can't go wrong. Until 2 or 3 months later when you are ready for another guitar... but then you can make the same post again, and we can help you out. Promise.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Another 'what guitar should I get question': Tax return season is coming up soon and I'm thinking about getting a new guitar. I've been wanting to learn some non-metal stuff, particularly neo soul (think Tom Misch, Beau Diakowicz, etc.) and am interested in getting something with single coils. Right now all my instruments are metal guitars/super strats with the exception of an Agile Les Paul, but it's way too heavy and I want something lighter. Currently torn between getting a Tele and a Strat. Most days I'm wanting the Tele, but I don't have any instruments with a whammy bar and the strat ends up being super tempting mainly for that reason. Ideas?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Dark Wind posted:

Another 'what guitar should I get question': Tax return season is coming up soon and I'm thinking about getting a new guitar. I've been wanting to learn some non-metal stuff, particularly neo soul (think Tom Misch, Beau Diakowicz, etc.) and am interested in getting something with single coils. Right now all my instruments are metal guitars/super strats with the exception of an Agile Les Paul, but it's way too heavy and I want something lighter. Currently torn between getting a Tele and a Strat. Most days I'm wanting the Tele, but I don't have any instruments with a whammy bar and the strat ends up being super tempting mainly for that reason. Ideas?

This is so easy. Don’t overcomplicate it. Get a Strat!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

The Dark Wind posted:

Everyone loves the Squier Classic Vibe series. Both the Strat and Tele are considered pretty fantastic guitars, though I think the tele is considered of better comparative quality. Think they are new at about $400 and used in the $200 to $300 range. I own the Strat and my only complaint is the body feels kinda light and thin compared to my MIM. However, the pickups are Alnico, so have a more classic sound compared to the MIM ceramics, which I think still sound fantastic. They just round off the highs a little bit.

I love strats and it was the guitar I had to have when I first started playing. But Telecaster has always felt like something that my guitar collection is sorely missing. They have this reputation as being something that can play just about any type of music, and it is a timeless classic. Though that describes the Strat too I suppose. So I guess get whichever you can find a decent deal on locally and let fate decide?

Or...?

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is so easy. Don’t overcomplicate it. Get a Both!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

One thing to consider though is that most Teles are quite heavy. Mine makes my shoulder sore after playing. My Strat is nice and light.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Kilometers Davis posted:

One thing to consider though is that most Teles are quite heavy. Mine makes my shoulder sore after playing. My Strat is nice and light.

How heavy are they in comparison to a super strat, say something like an Ibanez/Schecter Hellraiser/etc? When I played some teles at GC the other day they didn't seem too bad, but often things like that only become obvious after playing for an hour or two.

Also I should mention I'm trying to keep the budget around 500-900ish.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Dark Wind posted:

How heavy are they in comparison to a super strat, say something like an Ibanez/Schecter Hellraiser/etc? When I played some teles at GC the other day they didn't seem too bad, but often things like that only become obvious after playing for an hour or two.

Also I should mention I'm trying to keep the budget around 500-900ish.

It’s hard to say but definitely heavier than your average strat. Check out some guitars on Sweetwater, they list the weights of individual ones and you might be able to compare some and get an idea. My Tele is over a pound heavier than my strat and it’s noticeable.

Go for the Squier CV range imo. They’re amazing guitars and it will leave money left if you want to upgrade anything on them or grab a new pedal.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I recently got the CV Telecaster and I can confirm what KD is saying, it's quite heavy and substantial. I also play a gib LP classic, so the weight there is probably similar to your epi, and I find the Squier is a little bulkier feeling and a bit heavier than even that beast.

That being said, the sound of the tele is so remarkably different than what you're used to getting with your current guitars that it wouldn't be a bad idea to try one and see how you feel about it. The bridge and neck pickups are so different sounding and I use both a lot versus my LP where I almost exclusively stay on the neck for that heavy sound you mention.

Talking about a promotion reward, though (congrats), you might find the CV to be less attractive than one of the American teles or strats, where you can get nicer looking bodies and fretboards. The CV tele's butterscotch body from a distance is nice, but up close it's very obviously made of 3 separate pine pieces glued together because of the grains, and the grain isn't really nice. There's a lot of variance in that, though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gripen5 posted:

My fake suggestion is the new Epiphone DC Pro, because I love me some double cut LP goodness. And would probably buy one myself, but already have an Agile and Hamer double cut LP style guitar.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/DC-PRO.aspx

My real suggestion is to go to a local music shop and play/mess around with every single guitar you see that makes you say "gently caress yeah!" no matter the price range. Then pick your favorite 2 or 3 and play a bunch of those style guitars in your price range from a few different brands. Then pick the one that makes your hands and ears say "gently caress yeah!"

Can't go wrong. Until 2 or 3 months later when you are ready for another guitar... but then you can make the same post again, and we can help you out. Promise.

This is a good suggestion, I just know I get very overwhelmed by choice (and super self conscious about my lack of ability) when I walk into music stores to try guitars, so having some options to beeline to is certainly helpful. If my past guitar-buying experience is any indication, I'll spend months compiling a long list of guitars I definitely don't want until I get fatigued with the whole process and latch on to whatever feels really good to play on that day.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

It is really heavy. My CV Tele is getting that chip fixed and it's nice to go back to my light Pacifica with all the comfy strat contours.

My white ("Vintage blonde") CV's grain looks pretty good and consistent.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Rifter17 posted:

I'm really considering a Strandberg Classic 8 for some live looping and (maybe someday) Charlie Hunter style playing. Any other recommendations for a bass-guitar hybrid instrument that isn't a complete custom job or too metal? I'm looking for 8-strings and fanned frets. Maybe a Kiesel would fit the bill.
Late as poo poo, but I think these days you can get fanned fret eight string production models from Agile and Legator and Harley Benton in a lot more color variety than the stock Jackson/Ibanez BRUTAL DRIFTWOOD HELLBURST options. Schecter also started making less ugly fanned frets (I want to say the Hellraiser Elite comes fanned in eight? Might only be sevens though).

That’s at a lower price/quality point though. For Strandberg money, yeah, probably them or Kiesel. Or Mayones maybe, I’ve seen those in less hokey finishes.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

You can probably find a used 8 String fanned fret Kiesel on reverb pretty cheap, they don't have the best resale value, I am pretty happy with my 7 string Vader, could use a pickup swap but plays great.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MockingQuantum posted:

This is a good suggestion, I just know I get very overwhelmed by choice (and super self conscious about my lack of ability) when I walk into music stores to try guitars, so having some options to beeline to is certainly helpful. If my past guitar-buying experience is any indication, I'll spend months compiling a long list of guitars I definitely don't want until I get fatigued with the whole process and latch on to whatever feels really good to play on that day.

What's sexy? What do you look at and think "poo poo, that looks nice. I want to play that." What makes you want to pick up a guitar? That's the guitar you should beeline to.

Once you figure that part out, you can try one out and think about what you do and don't like about it - is it too heavy? Do you not like the sound of it? Neck too thick? Bridge hurts your strumming hand when you play? Once you have an idea of what you don't like specifically you can find ways to work around it. The best guitar though is the one that makes you want to play it.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does anyone know of a simple guitar book that has something like this all laid out?

Every scale (major, minor, modes, etc.) built with the root on the 6th string. Chords and arpeggios starting on the 6th. Etc. Then the same but starting on the 5th string. And so on.

Is this something that's out there? I remember having a book like this when I started to learn piano and it was useful to just work through it and start getting these things in my muscle memory. Of course I could compile this info myself, but I'm lazy and if I can just order a book somewhere, that'd be great too.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the guitar grimoire scales and modes book is fairly thorough

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Dark Wind posted:

Does anyone know of a simple guitar book that has something like this all laid out?

Every scale (major, minor, modes, etc.) built with the root on the 6th string. Chords and arpeggios starting on the 6th. Etc. Then the same but starting on the 5th string. And so on.

Is this something that's out there? I remember having a book like this when I started to learn piano and it was useful to just work through it and start getting these things in my muscle memory. Of course I could compile this info myself, but I'm lazy and if I can just order a book somewhere, that'd be great too.

Well for chords once you get past G you're just talking barre chords so if you know what all the notes up the 6th and 5th strings are you've already got all of them. Triads I found it's best to just remember where the root note is in the shape (in a 2-3-2 Dmaj esque shape it's on the 2nd string, for example) and then I already know what note every fret is.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you want a more formal version of that, the CAGED system is about reworking those shapes as movable ones so you always have a couple options for any note on any string. But there's a lot more shapes than that, and I think the op is looking for a comprehensive list of ALL THE CHORDS available for a given point on the neck

Seems like something better suited to an app though, where you can filter to what you want instead of having to page through a tome of possibilities

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The Dark Wind posted:

For what it’s worth I think it’s more worthwhile to know the general pitch collections on the neck in 5 positions (which repeat past the 12th fret) and construct those things from those pitch collections. This helps implement them into actual music since we don’t always have solos, melodies etc. starting on string 6 or 5 and I find that students who have practiced everything from lower strings on the root have a harder time using those scales, modes and arpeggios and identifying them when starting on a higher string like we usually see them in music/songs. It takes some theory knowledge to know how to take the scales, modes and arpeggios out of the pitch collections but that is also useful in the long run. Finally, it actually takes less time to do it this way because as you do it you start seeing common fingerings and patterns between pitch collections and it ends up being much less memorization than memorizing each thing as a separate entity. And then if you consider trying to memorize them off of other strings than string 6 the amount of individual memorization gets to be really high compared to knowing 5 shapes (the pitch collections) and extracting what you need from them. This doesn’t include harmonic and melodic minor since those aren’t diatonic (compared to the modes and natural minor) and they have their own shapes but a firm understanding of the diatonic pitch collections speeds up learning the other prime scale shapes (harmonic and melodic).

Sorry if this is rambley- just woke up and need to get out to a gig so I can expand on it later if it’s be helpful and/or is something you or others are interested in.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
What exactly do you mean by pitch collections? I'm definitely curious! For what it's worth, I have a pretty strong grasp on theory from playing piano for about 20 years, my main issue has been learning to apply it on guitar since the way it's laid out as an instrument is pretty different.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The Dark Wind posted:

What exactly do you mean by pitch collections? I'm definitely curious! For what it's worth, I have a pretty strong grasp on theory from playing piano for about 20 years, my main issue has been learning to apply it on guitar since the way it's laid out as an instrument is pretty different.

Basically all available notes within a position. People call them different things like scale shapes (rather than scales which start and end on the root), CAGED system with single notes and so on. I have an older video trying to present what they are and how they are associated with each CAGED shape here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X350nrnMpaI

I should probably make an updated video since it’s been a while since making that. If it’d be helpful I could go over how to take out scales, modes, arpeggios and so on from each pitch collection in a video.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Here’s an image i made a while back with the shapes and some other info - the idea is that the piano is one linear, very visible pitch collection so over time these fingerings become our version of that on guitar.

Edit: whoops, I meant that as an edit, not a separate post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Dark Wind posted:

Give this app a look if you have something that can use it. It’s amazing for the kind of referencing you’re talking about.