Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah Fall of Gondolin is the one with APC dragons. It’s not a general thing across Book it Lost Tales though, in “Turambar and the Foaloke” the proto-Glaurung is just a big old worm like regular Glaurung, or Smaug for that matter.

This got me thinking, what is the first text in which Ancalagon features? He’s namedropped in LOTR as the most bad rear end dragon of all time, but he can’t be in the Lost Tales because the War of Wrath doesn’t happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

As far as I know, Tolkien never wrote a full text of the war of wrath. It would probably be in one of his outlines or summaries, but I can't for the life of me remember if it was in the 1930's silmarillion or later.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

In Lost Tales it’s not so much that it wasn’t written as that it doesn’t happen at all. At that stage we’re still in Tol Eressea = Britain mode and there’s no chance for the battle at the end to be particularly cataclysmic, it’s just the elves getting their asses kicked by the orcs and possibly romans.

Flipping around HoME it looks like the first time the name comes up is in the early 30s — I don’t see it in the Sketch of the Mythology, but the idea of Morgoth coming forth with his dragons to battle the gods is already present. So it’s probably in the Annals of Beleriand that we first get a named dragon for Eärendil to kill.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What are the differencies between the original and the 60s Hobbit?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

What are the differencies between the original and the 60s Hobbit?

60s Hobbit is basically a completely different book about the same plot that gets right up until they’re about to reach Rivendell. The point was to bring Hobbit into more total consistency with LOTR by messing with stuff like how the Last Bridge is dozens of miles away from the trolls in LOTR but apparently right there in The Hobbit. The result is really weird and does a hatchet job on Bilbo in particular, he comes off as a gigantic retard because the narrator isn’t willing to indulge his silliness the same way as the original. The tone of the narrative as a whole is much closer to the relatively withdrawn voice of LOTR, a lot of the narrator’s whimsical little asides are axed. Tolkien asked a correspondent if she thought the result was any good and she politely conveyed that it ripped the guts out of the book.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

60s Hobbit is basically a completely different book about the same plot that gets right up until they’re about to reach Rivendell. The point was to bring Hobbit into more total consistency with LOTR by messing with stuff like how the Last Bridge is dozens of miles away from the trolls in LOTR but apparently right there in The Hobbit. The result is really weird and does a hatchet job on Bilbo in particular, he comes off as a gigantic retard because the narrator isn’t willing to indulge his silliness the same way as the original. The tone of the narrative as a whole is much closer to the relatively withdrawn voice of LOTR, a lot of the narrator’s whimsical little asides are axed. Tolkien asked a correspondent if she thought the result was any good and she politely conveyed that it ripped the guts out of the book.

So it wasn't printed?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He wrote it as though he were under orders from his editor to "take out all the fun stuff"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

So it wasn't printed?

No, not even close. The modern edition of The Hobbit dates from 1966, but it’s just an update of the revised 1951 version (the one that changes the Gollum scene to accord with LOTR). The 1960 Hobbit is an orphaned thing that never got even close to completion before he decided it sucked.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

No, not even close. The modern edition of The Hobbit dates from 1966, but it’s just an update of the revised 1951 version (the one that changes the Gollum scene to accord with LOTR). The 1960 Hobbit is an orphaned thing that never got even close to completion before he decided it sucked.

nice

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

According to Olsen, you see the same thing in a lot of the stuff he was fiddling with toward the end of his life; like there were some late Silmarillion-mythos revisions he was working on that attempted to reconcile the Straight Road and the Sun and Moon stuff in a more "naturalistic" way consistent with real-world cosmology. And to his mind, the results were... really not very engaging. None of the whimsy or inventiveness of the wacko early stuff.

He got all practical in his old age, and forgot how to Tolkien :smith:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Randomly writing a bunch of poo poo because it occurred to him without any concern for whether it would be good or bad or please his “fans” is the most Tolkien thing of all though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Christopher Tolkien has more or less said that his father's tinkering was the main reason he never finished the Silmarillion. If he'd just concentrated on writing coherent narratives of all the stories he'd done so far, he probably could have finished in a couple years. Instead, he kept trying to make everything fit perfectly. J.R.R. Tolkiens post LOTR writing career can be summed up by the adage 'perfect is the enemy of good.'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

sweet geek swag posted:

Christopher Tolkien has more or less said that his father's tinkering was the main reason he never finished the Silmarillion. If he'd just concentrated on writing coherent narratives of all the stories he'd done so far, he probably could have finished in a couple years. Instead, he kept trying to make everything fit perfectly. J.R.R. Tolkiens post LOTR writing career can be summed up by the adage 'perfect is the enemy of good.'

JRRT thought he had gotten a decisive rejection from his publishers on The Silmarillion (they had only decisively rejected the Lay of Leithian it turns out but there was some miscommunication). He was writing only for himself precisely for that reason.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sweet geek swag posted:

Oh, I'm sure he was enjoying himself.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hogge Wild posted:

So it wasn't printed?

What there is of it is printed in John Rateliff's The History of The Hobbit book 2, Return to Bag-End.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

What there is of it is printed in John Rateliff's The History of The Hobbit book 2, Return to Bag-End.

Good point. Everyone should read History of The Hobbit anyway, it’s a fun book. Just reflect on how Tolkien could have chosen to name his wizard loving “Bladorthin” and then no one today would ever have heard of him.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
There's that quote from CS Lewis that Tolkien's response to criticism is generally to completely ignore it, or to scrap the entire work and start over. Which I imagine results in a less than speedy workflow.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tolkien started like seven or eight retellings of the mythology and finished like one in his entire life. And that one was the epitome.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stupid sexy Shagrat!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Orcs are one of the only creatures in Middle-earth that verifiably wear pants. Made of unclean beastfells of course

Elves? Pantsless
Rohirrim? Wearing no pants, but singing many songs
Gondorians? All in skirts like the ancient Greeks
Tom Bombadil? Jacket and boots only, like a subway flasher
Gandalf? You better bet he’s commando under that robe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ah so that's where that one Oglaf strip came from

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Wearing no pants, but singing many songs

This paints a surprisingly vivid picture

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Some AI researchers created an AI that wrote some fanfic. https://blog.openai.com/better-language-models/#sample5

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Some AI researchers created an AI that wrote some fanfic. https://blog.openai.com/better-language-models/#sample5

its comforting that Tolkien-derivative fantasy will be written by robots soon

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

my bony fealty posted:

True AI is just another name for a Maiar of Aule.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

my bony fealty posted:

I'm not sure "close to human quality" is a very high bar in this case.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It does feature Gimli's murder-amnesia.

First paragraph posted:

it took only two words before their opponents were reduced to a blood-soaked quagmire, and the dwarf took his first kill of the night.

Third paragraph posted:

“I’ll never forget it!” cried Gimli, who had been in the thick of the battle but hadn’t taken part in it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Does it say anywhere that elves have long hair usually? Nearly all depictions of them are in that cliched long haired pointy ear style but that's now how I picture them at all. I picture just regular people except with no features associated with aging.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shibawanko posted:

Does it say anywhere that elves have long hair usually? Nearly all depictions of them are in that cliched long haired pointy ear style but that's now how I picture them at all. I picture just regular people except with no features associated with aging.
It does come up

"[Glorfindal's] golden hair flowed shimmering in the wind of his speed" and
"the hair of Lord Celeborn was silver long and bright"

Plus a few other descriptions of hair shimmering or glimmering.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

The ears Tolkien seems to have assumed rather than described (of course elves have pointy ears, they’re elves, let’s not waste words about it). The long hair is a generalization from a few examples, because if Tolkien describes someone’s hair at length (haha) he usually describes it in a way that makes it seem pretty long. But I’ve never imagined Legolas for example with long hair since I read JRRT’s bad-tempered defense of him as a jacked badass, though nothing in that passage actually precludes it.

On the other hand, I can’t really imagine what an elvish barber would have been like.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My favorite elf is Saeros because he's just a huge dick and I picture him as a kind of frat boy type from an Abercrombie & Fitch bag except immortal and with a harp or lyre

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Turin throws a red solo cup at him

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

On the other hand, I can’t really imagine what an elvish barber would have been like.

Somehow, I suspect Tolkien elves didn't actually need to ever cut their hair. Their hair just grew how they willed it to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Somehow, I suspect Tolkien elves didn't actually need to ever cut their hair. Their hair just grew how they willed it to.

Given their love of arts and crafts I can't imagine Elven hairdressing would have been anything less than insanely elaborate.

It's a travesty that Peter Jackson's made them robots with hair straighteners.

Tolkien Elves aren't hippies who would let nature take its course, either. There will be landscaping.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luthien had long hair for one and elves have scissors. Behold

She had used magic to grow her hair before that

Luthien is kind of special tho

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 16, 2019

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

They do have pointy ears, here Tolkien describes hobbits:

I picture a fairly human figure, not a kind of 'fairy' rabbit as some of my British reviewers seem to fancy: fattish in the stomach, shortish in the leg. A round, jovial face; ears only slightly pointed and 'elvish'; hair short and curling (brown). The feet from the ankles down, covered with brown hairy fur. Clothing: green velvet breeches; red or yellow waistcoat; brown or green jacket; gold (or brass) buttons; a dark green hood and cloak (belonging to a dwarf).
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, 35 (#27)

Here Tolkien also uses "elvish" instead of "elven".

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

skasion posted:

But I’ve never imagined Legolas for example with long hair since I read JRRT’s bad-tempered defense of him as a jacked badass,

Where is this written?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Where is this written?

It’s a random note he made on an illustration of Legolas which was too twinky for his taste. Sadly we don’t know what illustration, but the remark is cited in Lost Tales 2 (quite out of context, but Chris is using it to show that Tolkien’s early concept of the elves fading away to wimpy little Victorian fairies did not last into the later work):

quote:

He was tall as a young tree, lithe, immensely strong, able swiftly to draw a great war-bow and shoot down a Nazgûl, endowed with the tremendous vitality of Elvish bodies, so hard and resistant to hurt that he went only in light shoes over rock or through snow, the most tireless of all the Fellowship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

skasion posted:

It’s a random note he made on an illustration of Legolas which was too twinky for his taste. Sadly we don’t know what illustration, but the remark is cited in Lost Tales 2 (quite out of context, but Chris is using it to show that Tolkien’s early concept of the elves fading away to wimpy little Victorian fairies did not last into the later work):

Nice! Twinks using longbows is one of my pet peeves. You need much more strength to use a proper warbow than a sword or an axe.