Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rantmo posted:

Or they just should have left Logan dead and actually treated Laura like Wolverine.

That's what I wanted from the start. I like Logan being back, but I would have prefered if Laura just straight up was Wolverine. Being salty with the team leader, drinkin' beer, chewing on cigars, calling people knucklehead and banging everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

twistedmentat posted:

That's what I wanted from the start. I like Logan being back, but I would have prefered if Laura just straight up was Wolverine. Being salty with the team leader, drinkin' beer, chewing on cigars, calling people knucklehead and banging everything.

I would personally prefer that if Laura had been given a proper chance to stick as The Wolverine, she'd have been written in character. They did her dirty not giving her a proper chance, but she is a different personality to Logan and I'd hate to have seen that elided.

Now, Gabby acting like Logan... that would be amazing. I hope we one day get her exaggerating Logan to his face.

Gymer
May 30, 2012
I'm a bit unclear why they couldn't just resolve it like the Hawkeyes and Spider-Men and just have two wolverines. They could even have Sunspot repeat his Hawkeye joke with Logan.

Gymer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 13, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

Now I wonder what happened to Spidey's bone claws.

Vanished into the ether along with his organic webshooters and marriage. Thanks, Mephisto!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, Kaine has them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

twistedmentat posted:

I mean all of that is because Logan is a sad, broken loser that would be much happier if he was a young girl. Hence him constantly hanging out with them. So just make him the young girl he always wanted to be.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

No, Kaine has them.

He lost them in Spider-Verse, I think. Presumably MC2 Peter has them now, since he got resurrected by the Other at the end of Spider-Geddon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mulva posted:

I mean all of that is because Logan is a sad, broken loser that would be much happier if he was a young girl. Hence him constantly hanging out with them.

I always interpreted that as Logan being basically the platonic ideal of the cantankerous honorary uncle. He's seen some poo poo, he's got stories, he'll teach you how to throw a punch, and your parents really aren't okay with you hanging out with him, which makes it irresistible.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He will definitely give you your first taste of beer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It seemed for the "new versions of characters" that Laura had the most acceptance. Or at least I saw the least screaming over THEM PC SJWS TOUK AR JAWBS for her. I dunno if they had to bring him back, I would've preferred she stay with the X teams and Wolverine was off being Patch or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know Laura appeared in a couple issues of Thompson's Hawkeye, but has she ever interacted with any of the rest of the Young Avengers crew? She has to at least know Prodigy, right?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Laura can be her own thing. Wolverine is Wolverine. They should have just sorted Old Man Logan out before he came back. It's gonna be so stupid when they eventually meet up. Too many goddamn people meeting different time/universe displaced versions of themselves.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Mr & Mrs X #8 was another really good issue. I love me some Mojo nonsense, but it's also moving their story forward and has some old-school references to Remy and Gladiator, and even Ricochet Rita, with some fun homages in Mojo's scenarios too.

Shatterstar also ended strongly, having been such a fun miniseries.

NextGen was decent, with great art from To, but my issue is that... Glob just isn't that interesting? That catfishing story in OML and the Advent Calendar story he had were great, and he's good for the occasional "He's ok!" while he's on fire or goes splat, but he's just a shittier, see through Rockslide and he seems to have supplanted the Rockslide & Anole dynamic, and I cannot condone that. There are so many more worthy X-kids crying out for space, and instead... Glob.

Skwirl posted:

I know Laura appeared in a couple issues of Thompson's Hawkeye, but has she ever interacted with any of the rest of the Young Avengers crew? She has to at least know Prodigy, right?

Yeah, in New X-Men Academy X she and Prodigy both feature. Otherwise, I can't think of any links to the Young Avengers, and she wasn't on their text tree.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Metalshark posted:

Mr & Mrs X #8 was another really good issue. I love me some Mojo nonsense, but it's also moving their story forward and has some old-school references to Remy and Gladiator, and even Ricochet Rita, with some fun homages in Mojo's scenarios too.

NextGen was decent, with great art from To, but my issue is that... Glob just isn't that interesting? That catfishing story in OML and the Advent Calendar story he had were great, and he's good for the occasional "He's ok!" while he's on fire or goes splat, but he's just a shittier, see through Rockslide and he seems to have supplanted the Rockslide & Anole dynamic, and I cannot condone that. There are so many more worthy X-kids crying out for space, and instead... Glob.

Yeah, in New X-Men Academy X she and Prodigy both feature. Otherwise, I can't think of any links to the Young Avengers, and she wasn't on their text tree.

To be fair, I think she was trapped in a lovely hunger games ripoff at the time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Metalshark posted:

:yeah:

radlum
May 13, 2013
I enjoyed NextGen; it was fun and I like how Glob has been used lately. He is such a useless character and it works when he is the focus amongst other more regular students. Also, this makes me wish we get a series focused on the students when the whole deal with Age of X-Man is done.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

I enjoyed NextGen; it was fun and I like how Glob has been used lately. He is such a useless character and it works when he is the focus amongst other more regular students. Also, this makes me wish we get a series focused on the students when the whole deal with Age of X-Man is done.

Be careful, I'm sure someone had the same wish about Avengers Academy.

Then a finger curled up on a monkey paw and we ended up with that aforementioned lovely Hunger Games rip-off.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Be careful, I'm sure someone had the same wish about Avengers Academy.

Then a finger curled up on a monkey paw and we ended up with that aforementioned lovely Hunger Games rip-off.

Don't scare me like that. I will always be upset that Marvel thought lovely Hunger Games rip-off was the best way to continue the story of the students of Avengers Academy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

radlum posted:

Yeah, I mostly know Glob from Spider-Man & The X-Men and he was great there.

That might have had to do with that time he got turned into a jelly Triceratops. :3:

radlum posted:

Don't scare me like that. I will always be upset that Marvel thought lovely Hunger Games rip-off was the best way to continue the story of the students of Avengers Academy.
At least Hazmat's showing up in Captain Marvel, now. Plus she dumped that dumb not-Mettle boyfriend HopelessHallum had her hook up with in Undercover.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I bounce between reading old 70's/80's Claremont stuff and recent stuff on Marvel Unlimited. Why does everything look so much more "cartoony" these days? Is there some sort of basic explainer? Am I just seeing digital wacom/Adobe art compared to the pencils and ink of yesteryear?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I bounce between reading old 70's/80's Claremont stuff and recent stuff on Marvel Unlimited. Why does everything look so much more "cartoony" these days? Is there some sort of basic explainer? Am I just seeing digital wacom/Adobe art compared to the pencils and ink of yesteryear?

Yeah, some of it's computer coloring.

You also see a lot more artists showing up in the '90s and later who are heavily influenced by manga and/or who came up through the webcomics scene.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kinda bummed the Shatterstar series is over.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Have Legion and Cassandra Nova had much interaction?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hope so, Auntie Cassie and Legion adventures.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

rantmo posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kinda bummed the Shatterstar series is over.

Same, it was really very good.

Never saw that coming.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-O posted:

I haven't read anything with Cyclops in it now that he's returned but he should now have the memories of Young Cyclops so I want him to go meet Kamala, Miles, and Sam and reminisce about his fun time on The Champions as a kid a couple months back.

Yessssss

https://www.newsarama.com/43943-war-of-the-realms-brings-cyclops-back-to-the-champions-as-an-adult.html

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Heh adult Scott remembers making out with Laura. Anyone else he might have uncomfortable make out memories with?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Heh adult Scott remembers making out with Laura. Anyone else he might have uncomfortable make out memories with?

Young Scott was dating an alternate universe Storm who was a vampire. And sort of the opposite of that, but both him and Jean should now remember that she rejected him pretty resoundingly during their adventure into the future.

Is Angel around? Young him dated Laura for a decent chunk of time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Angel's been doing the whole "trying desperately to control the Archangel personality" thing for a while now, most recently in the first leg of Astonishing X-Men, and the events leading up to Age of X-Man, where he became one of X-Man's horsemen.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I'd say that this makes me eagerly anticipate Logan discovering this fact, but he and Cyke are cool enough now to not make it a thing, and the X-Office seem to be really awkward/shifty about what exactly the Logan/Laura connection is from their perspectives. We had the reveal in Adamantium Agenda but it's kinda muddy at this point, as to whether he's still her "dad" or is just that in name only.

It's not like Laura was front and centre in finding Logan, or is in his return thus far, at least not when he had the Infinity Stone, so I guess we'll see how they play it post AoX-M.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Android Blues posted:

Angel's been doing the whole "trying desperately to control the Archangel personality" thing for a while now,
I am so loving bored of this status quo, btw, not that anyone asked. We get it! Dark Angel Saga was a modern classic (does it still count as modern, actually? Now that I'm in my 30s I really understand the idea of sliding timescale), and Angel's pretty hard to make compelling on his own, but, like, gently caress.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i have no idea why angel exists in the modern context outside of being a name an X-Person can say "I asked Worthington to fund this whatever"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is kind of sad the best time Angel works is when he's not Angel.

I'm trying to think of his big story beats of the last umpteen years. Dated Betsy for a while, until they just... stopped for whatever reason. There was whatever Austen tried to do with him (giving him that healing blood and having him sleep with a minor). More dredging up Archangel, which I believe is what led him to be all mentally regressed and younger. Young Angel was interesting for the few panels Tom Taylor wrote him as when he was Laura's boyfriend, and that just vanished. Also he had cosmic wings from what was supposed to be a big story but nobody remembers. Now back to Archangel.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I liked his X-Force arc but it came to a natural conclusion and then the young Angel after that looked like it might be interesting but got super undercut by the Young X-Men. And like almost all of Angel's interesting character development came post-original X-Men so the young version just brought nothing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Android Blues posted:

Angel's been doing the whole "trying desperately to control the Archangel personality" thing for a while now, most recently in the first leg of Astonishing X-Men, and the events leading up to Age of X-Man, where he became one of X-Man's horsemen.

So that's once in UXF, once in Uncanny, and now TWICE in Astonishing that we've recycled this plot? Good gravy. Why even write Warren if that's what you're gonna do with him?

Svensken
May 29, 2010
There was also that time where he was some sort of perma-Archangel automaton that was mind-piloted by Psylocke.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve said this since first grade: Archangel is my second favorite X-Men character. Angel is my least favorite.

Nightcrawler has always been my favorite, for the record.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’ve said this since first grade: Archangel is my second favorite X-Men character. Angel is my least favorite.

This brings back memories of when I was a kid and there was a short-lived collectible store that pretty much gave itself over to selling pogs during the pog craze (perhaps, why it was short-lived) and I was buying slammers that were locked up behind glass. I asked for the Archangel one, and then pointed at it and the guy said, "Listen, I know who Archangel is, kid." Good times.

My stepdad found pogs being popular to be very amusing, apparently they were popular when he was a kid, too, which makes me wonder if we're about due for another pog comeback.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Open Marriage Night posted:

Interesting. And what are your opinions of Mystique? And Smurfette? I'm sensing a pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011