Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m happy for Matt if only because he needs the money if he’s selling signed photos to get himself new toes or whatever. Maybe this’ll help a smidge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They absolutely deserve the recognition, I just think de vermis mysteriis is their best album by a mile.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Even the worst hof album is like a 7/10. Blessed Black Wings will always be my favorite, but Kurt Ballou is basically the best thing to happen to them since they formed. I'm super happy for them and I hope Pike gets healthy soon. :unsmith:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nerve posted:

Electric Messiah whips rear end

:yeah: I’d say it’s top 3 for me

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Dude Jetho Tull is like folk metal, this song kicks rear end, and I'm going to cover it, and make it so doomy it's gonna blow your rear end out ya head. Just you wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVBT6wktF5E

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

New Inter Arma track.

https://interarma.bandcamp.com/album/sulphur-english

Heavy on the guttural vocals, and not much of the high end screaming that he did on the last record. I dug Paradise Gallows so am tentatively interested in seeing how this album plays out.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

hatelull posted:

Inter Arma

Starting an online petition to get Inter Arma added to the bill for the Sunn O))) cave show. Naturally they'll have to play the entire Cavern EP.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Marin Karin posted:

Even the worst hof album is like a 7/10. Blessed Black Wings will always be my favorite, but Kurt Ballou is basically the best thing to happen to them since they formed. I'm super happy for them and I hope Pike gets healthy soon. :unsmith:

I went through phases: the first two albums are untouchable but then Blessed Black Wings is so... raaaw. But then De Vermis is kind of the perfect amalgamation of everything they do.

I wonder what the Grammy will do for them as far as money. If you win a Metal Grammy does that mean SiriusXM bumps you up in the rotation? More merch sales?! I hope they get all the money ever.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Starting an online petition to get Inter Arma added to the bill for the Sunn O))) cave show. Naturally they'll have to play the entire Cavern EP.

I just looked up the opener, Papa M and now I’m bummed out. It’s not bad but there’s countless other bands I’d rather see open for Sunn in a big rear end cave.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Snowy posted:

I just looked up the opener, Papa M and now I’m bummed out. It’s not bad but there’s countless other bands I’d rather see open for Sunn in a big rear end cave.

i love David Pajo, but that's a weird loving choice

also lol at Inter Arma's bandcamp saying they're from Richmond County

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The only band I've seen open for Sunn O))) is Earth, and it seems like a pretty hard gig to play a memorable set when you're being immediately followed by the most crushing live show that exists.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

The only band I've seen open for Sunn O))) is Earth

Wow the perfect lineup

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Just wanted to let y’all know that my SDS knowledge is limited and I haven’t listened to much besides Dopesmoker. I say this after having just listened to the Grammy award winning album by High on Fire, and it’s dope.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cobra Commander posted:

Just wanted to let y’all know that my SDS knowledge is limited and I haven’t listened to much besides Dopesmoker. I say this after having just listened to the Grammy award winning album by High on Fire, and it’s dope.

Go through their discography, they literally don't have a bad album just one's that are better then others. Art of Self Defense is their debut (and my favorite!)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I think Im the only doom fan in world who doesn't care much for HoF. I dunno I love Sleep and Matt Pike is the poo poo but they've just never clicked for me. Prolly gonna try again by listening to them a lot at work, that usually helps me start liking stuff. Glad they won a Grammy tho.

They did put on a real fun show when I saw em in like...2009? on tour with Converge (great) and Dethklok (gimmick wears off even faster live)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The thing about HoF is it's pretty fast, I always thought it was strange to label it as doom/sludge. Put it on when your in the mood for if Motorhead ripped bongs instead of speed and booze.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, HoF have a thrashy feel that you don't come across a whole lot in the SDS subgenres. Usually they pick stoner or thrash, not both.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If HoF is motorhead, sleep is hawkwind

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I always think of Sleep as being what you get if Om and HoF had a baby.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I always think of Sleep as being what you get if Om and HoF had a baby.

But Sleep is their dad?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

The thing about HoF is it's pretty fast, I always thought it was strange to label it as doom/sludge. Put it on when your in the mood for if Motorhead ripped bongs instead of speed and booze.

lots of old doom metal is actually quite fast at times, the idea that's it's all slow all the time is more recent and mostly tied to explicitly stoner stuff. like pentagram, trouble or even sabbath have plenty of faster moments for instance.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Preemptively requesting that any goons who make it to the Sunn cave show share pictures, since it's several states away from me.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

I think Im the only doom fan in world who doesn't care much for HoF. I dunno I love Sleep and Matt Pike is the poo poo but they've just never clicked for me.

Same. I'm more for Om than HoF.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

High on Fire is more metal than Stoner/Doom imo

Mikes guitar tone is stoner as hell, and its a lot more riff-heavy musically than most thrash/speed metal. Less technical, more groove I guess?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Laserface posted:

High on Fire is more metal than Stoner/Doom imo

Mikes guitar tone is stoner as hell, and its a lot more riff-heavy musically than most thrash/speed metal. Less technical, more groove I guess?

thrash and speed metal aren't 'riff heavy'? what does that mean?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
High on Fire are rarely doomy. They get the stoner tag mostly due to the Sleep connection and the first album. They’re one of those odd bands who are difficult to categorize despite fitting a bunch of different tropes.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah I love The Art of Self Defense but I don't really listen to HoF much - Om and Sleep are way more my thing. I'd 100% go see them live though.

A human heart posted:

lots of old doom metal is actually quite fast at times, the idea that's it's all slow all the time is more recent and mostly tied to explicitly stoner stuff. like pentagram, trouble or even sabbath have plenty of faster moments for instance.
Early doom bands also all spent their formative years listening to Celtic Frost, you can hear their influence all over the place.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Early doom bands also all spent their formative years listening to Celtic Frost, you can hear their influence all over the place.

I’m not sure what you mean besides Winter but I could use a lot more of that.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9oNQHbp0pA

spectral voice does the mainly slow but sometimes fast thing really well.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
My dudes in The Munsens are streaming their new album now. They run Electric Funeral fest in Denver, of which I've played or worked for the last 4 years, and they're on the same record label my band is on. I'm not even through the first song, and it rips. Doomy, blast beats, harsh vocals, all the poo poo I love.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/the...02kbggAAlnrSisg

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

hatelull posted:

These dudes have a love/hate consensus around here, but Mastodon posted their 30 minute set with Scott Kelly to youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEVSPWOnyeQ

I caught the back half live on the social media while at work. It's pretty tasty for Mastodon. Scott Kelly definitely roars at the most opportune moments, plus dude just LOOKS angry.

That fuckin rules, thanks for sharing! Cool to see Scott as a frontman with just a mic. I'd vote for him to be the full-time Mastodon lead singer if it didn't disrupt Neurosis in any way. His presence made this show intense as hell (of course the close quarters helps), which Mastodon lacks in their live show, at least in my opinion. Only seen them once but they were pretty boring to watch.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I love The Art of Self Defense but I don't really listen to HoF much - Om and Sleep are way more my thing. I'd 100% go see them live though.

are you thinking of death doom maybe? because i don't really think pentagram or st vitus were doing that on account of they formed years before celtic frost did

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Zoben posted:

His presence made this show intense as hell (of course the close quarters helps), which Mastodon lacks in their live show, at least in my opinion. Only seen them once but they were pretty boring to watch.

Only band more boring that I've seen live than Mastodon was The Sword.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah having Kelly as their permanent vocalist live would be unreal.
He's so much better live as a vocalist than the Mastodon gang (who are way better than they used to be in fairness)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A human heart posted:

thrash and speed metal aren't 'riff heavy'? what does that mean?

Doom/Stoner spends more time on a single riff. Not to say thrash isnt about good riffs but they vary their songs way more imo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t know I would honestly hate having Kelly as the primary vocalist. He’s awesome yeah and the other guys can have some issues live but their vocals on album are a hugely defining element.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mastodon no longer make music that suits Scott Kelly's vocals

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Henchman of Santa posted:

High on Fire are rarely doomy. They get the stoner tag mostly due to the Sleep connection and the first album. They’re one of those odd bands who are difficult to categorize despite fitting a bunch of different tropes.

HoF is thrashened stoner/sludge

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I do love that the independent elements of Sleep basically splinter off in to two awesome bands. The drone-y, trancelike stuff over in OM and the SICK RIFFS over in High in Fire.

Especially now that these bands occasionally smash back together for tours and records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anyone know if Emetic Records was failing to license their releases correctly or something? Their entire catalog just got blocked from sale on Discogs.