Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Speaking of video games, it looks like we're getting a new version of Legacy of the Duelist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyroi posted:

Speaking of video games, it looks like we're getting a new version of Legacy of the Duelist.

I sure hope it isn't another DLC fest because that'll make me buy it as much as I bought the previous one (I won't).

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Duel Links is for loving amateurs. The new hotness is Duel Monsters VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWtArkwBtMs

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I never thought they would create an accurate simulator for playing Yugioh in 7th grade, but here we are. 2019 is wild.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've been getting into Duel Links as of late and I feel like I'm kinda spinning my wheels a bit on figuring out what to do. There's just a ton of content to cover and I have no idea what's all that good. (I used to play waaaay back when the first few sets released here but mostly just played the GBA games.)

Couple questions:
How difficult is it usually to build meta decks?
I noticed there are Madolche in this game and they're part of the reason I'm getting back into it bc cute. Are they any good/worth building a deck with?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Madolches are getting some new support in a few days with the release of a new set. No telling if they'll actually be good or not pre-XYZ, but worth looking into.

As for what's hot right now, well there's actually a fair few decks that can compete in the meta. Koa'ki Mieru are probably the easiest for a new player to build from scratch and, if they don't get hit hard by the impending banlist, will be a really really strong deck going forward. Refer to this guide for information about how to build it, and this one for how to play it. Or if you have a bit of money to throw around and want something less likely to be hit by the banlist, Ancient Gears is really quick to build since most of the key cards you need are just in the structure deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, you can basically just throw a bunch of gems at Revolution Beginning until you get three Diamond Core, then the rest at Gaia Genesis until you get three Urknight and you're probably basically done. Even if they do get hit by the list, I doubt it's gonna destroy them completely. My guess would be semi-limited Urknight and semi-limited Diamond Core. I think we might also see AG Reactor Dragon and/or KM Maximus get hit.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I would think we're more likely to see the consistency cards hit before the power cards. Diamond Core to 2 & AG Wyvern to 2 makes more sense. Remember the way they hit previous decks - putting those two to 2 would also prevent them from using Hey Trunade & Enemy Controller respectively without severely impacting the core strategy of each.

If KM keeps doing well after that hit they'll put Maximus to 1. Oh, and expect two or three hits to Vampires. They've been top-tier for waaaaaay too long. Semi-limit any two of Retainer, Grace, Kingdom or Samurai Skull and that'll fix that problem without making the deck unplayable.

They might put Canadia to 2 for the same reason as E-Con, just because it's run at 3 in every deck. I would expect Buster Blader and Karakuri to get by without any hits. I want Spellbooks to get hit again just because I never want to see that deck which takes 40 minutes to take a single turn ever again, but that's just a dream.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tired of Spellbooks? Want to piss in their Cheerios in the most hilariously janky way possible? Run Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Maximus and Iron Core got hit. (Limited and semi-limited respectively.)

Does this mean I should work toward building something else now?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

It just means the speed-kill variant of the deck will lose popularity & control builds will rise. Give the meta time to shape out post-banlist before making any decisions.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'm probably going to give Lavals a go post-banlist once I have triple Molten Conduction Field. Dustflame Blast is insanely busted and wins games, and I like Synchro decks a lot. New Dinosaurs also look really strong but they don't feel consistent enough and the slower control playstyle, while fun, isn't something you want to play a lot of games with in a row.

Now, if you want a deck that wins or dies in the first two turns so you can rack up a lot of wins quickly, here's something unconventional I've been loving with.

There are a few decks in the meta, such as Dinosaurs and regular Ancient Gears that simply cannot do anything about Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem. It is simply too large for some decks to get over and that it floats into regular AGG when destroyed really fucks with control decks, which usually can't afford to blow two destruction effects in a single turn without taking massive losses themselves. Backrow prevents the deck from just auto-losing to Enemy Controller stealing your monster.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Framboise posted:

Maximus and Iron Core got hit. (Limited and semi-limited respectively.)

Does this mean I should work toward building something else now?
I was 100% sure you meant "Diamond", and went to go check myself to confirm. Nope. They semi-limited the common instead of the super rare. I should pretend to be surprised.

And why wait until now to nerf Trick Up The Sleeve? Blue-Eyes was relevant last KC Cup.

Hjalmar posted:

It just means the speed-kill variant of the deck will lose popularity & control builds will rise. Give the meta time to shape out post-banlist before making any decisions.
What control decks can survive against a 3k beater that pops backrow?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

What control decks can survive against a 3k beater that pops backrow?

Dinosaurs and Lavals can pop Reactor Dragon before it attacks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In less meta news, my goofy rear end That Grass Magnets deck has something that might vaguely be called potential, despite missing several key cards still.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

In less meta news, my goofy rear end That Grass Magnets deck has something that might vaguely be called potential, despite missing several key cards still.
Deck continues to show promise. My new brilliant bullshit text cards are Block Golem (sac to SS two lv >=4 rock monsters from your graveyard, disable their effects until EOT), and Spiritual Earth Art - Kurogane (sacrifice an Earth monster to SS an Earth monster from your graveyard). I have two Triamid Pulse now, too, thanks loyalty campaign SR ticket!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
So how exactly do you deal with the Yugi that can cheat god cards out?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Beat him before turn 5/6 or summon something bigger than 4k atk so Obelisk can't get over it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
sounds easier said than done

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Framboise posted:

sounds easier said than done
Level 50s are kind of bullshit until you're rolling with the kinds of decks that can survive PVP.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://duellinks.konami.net/att/06ccdb4b5c3f0f49680cf33f361eab9bfaa46d1322

What the gently caress did I just lose to :stonklol:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't tell you cause that link just redirects to the Duel Links homepage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dabir posted:

Can't tell you cause that link just redirects to the Duel Links homepage.
It has to open the app to show replays because Duel Links is a well-designed game.

Short version: Control deck (Gravesquirmer, Grenkappa, Treacherous, etc) Last Gambles into a Silent Magician, levels it up, equips it, swings at me for 4K, and then plays UAs, too?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 28, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Looking through old posts and

Julias posted:

If it ever came down to it, I'm sure they'd hit Seraphanite instead...oh who am I kidding, the people in charge of the F/L list are dumb.

Called it!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

To be fair, the deck that got it hit barely even used Seraphinite, or at least not singularly. Shockingly, the Thunder Fusion deck that can make use of generic Thunder Fusions liked to summon Prismaura, and the monster definitely isn't the problem there. If anything, the fact that the hit had to come from something else reaffirms that Seraphinite, and that whole facet of the engine, were never any kind of problem.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah I know that it was because of all the dumping the card did for thunder dragons and the like, but :ssh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Where's the preview of the changes? I'm not finding anything when I search.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PMush Perfect posted:

Where's the preview of the changes? I'm not finding anything when I search.

Sorry, we were talking about the last banlist, the new one won't be for a few weeks

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Is YGOPRO Percy still the simulator to use? There seems to be a bunch of other ones, like TODANE and such. Which is best for limited format play (and is limited format even good in Yu-Gi-Oh?)?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Roluth posted:

Is YGOPRO Percy still the simulator to use? There seems to be a bunch of other ones, like TODANE and such. Which is best for limited format play (and is limited format even good in Yu-Gi-Oh?)?

Percy is still the best, yeah.

What do you mean though, by 'limited format play'?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Roluth posted:

Percy is still the best, although YGOProES has AI play (but any of the decent decks use a bunch of currently banned cards, so :shrug:). Dawn of a New Era is spyware, so don't.

Limited, as in Battle Pack Draft? There's no simulator for that, and considering there were only the three battle packs, it didn't really take off that well. This isn't Magic, with sets designed for draft or sealed while also being viable for the current formats. When designing sets, Konami just has a few archetypes they want to support, toss in a bit of legacy support for older poo poo pretty much at random, and then fill in the spaces with completely random bullshit. Sometimes it's great, like Thunder Dragons, but most times you end up with Digital Bugs.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For what it's worth there is actually a Draft Mode in Percy (Show Anime Cards, then search for Sealed Duel or Booster Draft Duel), but there's not a community for it or anything.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aniodia posted:

Percy is still the best, although YGOProES has AI play (but any of the decent decks use a bunch of currently banned cards, so :shrug:). Dawn of a New Era is spyware, so don't.

Limited, as in Battle Pack Draft? There's no simulator for that, and considering there were only the three battle packs, it didn't really take off that well. This isn't Magic, with sets designed for draft or sealed while also being viable for the current formats. When designing sets, Konami just has a few archetypes they want to support, toss in a bit of legacy support for older poo poo pretty much at random, and then fill in the spaces with completely random bullshit. Sometimes it's great, like Thunder Dragons, but most times you end up with Digital Bugs.
Come on, what do you mean you didn't want support for (throws darts) Six Samurais... Assault Mode... and... Elemental Hero NEOS?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Come on, what do you mean you didn't want support for (throws darts) Six Samurais... Assault Mode... and... Elemental Hero NEOS?

Actually a bunch of us wanted Neos and Assault Mode support. :v:

And Assault Modes are actually seeing a weird bit of meta play in the OCG right now! Okay yeah it's just the basic Assault Mode engine but it still counts!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vandar posted:

Actually a bunch of us wanted Neos and Assault Mode support. :v:

And Assault Modes are actually seeing a weird bit of meta play in the OCG right now! Okay yeah it's just the basic Assault Mode engine but it still counts!
I've been out of the paper game for a while so I don't have my finger on the pulse of what's desirable legacy support. It just seems very random which archetypes get support, from the outside.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been out of the paper game for a while so I don't have my finger on the pulse of what's desirable legacy support. It just seems very random which archetypes get support, from the outside.

It's usually based on popular things or things that are going to tie into other product.

Or, in the case of things like the recent Fortune Lady support, events in Duel Links.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Vandar posted:

Or, in the case of things like the recent Fortune Lady support, events in Duel Links.
Well, that explains the Six Sams, then. :j:

I really hope this means we're gonna see them try to make Arcana Force good, if only because an AF Link monster that actually changed the position of its arrows based on the flip would be fascinating from a mechanical perspective. But they probably wouldn't do that, even YGO has an upper limit on how confusing the board state can be.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Arcana Force support would suck, actually. If the deck had any reasonable consistency, people would just turbo out The World & since it's pathetically easy to summon two monsters every turn in 2019, that would functionally be an FTK in a game that's trying very hard to not do those. "Skip your opponent's next turn" is too good to not be sealed away in an unplayable archetype.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hjalmar posted:

Arcana Force support would suck, actually. If the deck had any reasonable consistency, people would just turbo out The World & since it's pathetically easy to summon two monsters every turn in 2019, that would functionally be an FTK in a game that's trying very hard to not do those. "Skip your opponent's next turn" is too good to not be sealed away in an unplayable archetype.
Then you ban or errata it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, heh, the World, well, it bans You.