Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you resolve Wilderness Reclamation with that deck and have basically any interaction at all you win.

That’s it, from there you chain Mystical Teachings and eventually beat face with a Tar Pit or Snapcaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you resolve Wilderness Reclamation with that deck and have basically any interaction at all you win.

That’s it, from there you chain Mystical Teachings and eventually beat face with a Tar Pit or Snapcaster.

Or just stroke them out.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

EvilBeard posted:

Or just stroke them out.

:quagmire:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I actually recorded a league playing a variant of this with Frilled Mystics, deck is fun but modern is bad.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I suspect most if not all of you read the main Magic thread, but 3 friends of mine started a podcast about Modern called The Dive Down, and just hit episode 8. It's definitely my favorite so far. Check it out, tell me it sucks, whatever. I'm gonna eventually be a podcast millionaire so get in early so you can tell your friends you clicked subscribe way back when.

In episode 8: "To Tweak: Weak, or on Fleek?", we talk about the Modern portion of the Team Constructed event at SCG Baltimore, then Dive Down into the highs and lows of tweaking decks for the Modern metagame, and bring it home with a listener question from our own Lawnie.

https://thedivedown.fireside.fm/8

usual stuff:
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...wn/id1447762473
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6bQlj...Hzp?si=dVOgnBud
Google Play: https://play.google.com/music/liste...h5q34dxjo4tikpq

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i do not, and will not, read the main magic thread

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i do not, and will not, read the main magic thread

so what are your feelings on the arena thread

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Hauki posted:

There's an arena thread? No one shuts the gently caress up about arena in the main thread still, so I would have never guessed.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There's an arena thread? No one shuts the gently caress up about arena in the main thread still, so I would have never guessed.

I've read a few pages, it's absolutely atrocious

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hauki posted:

i didn't know this existed but boy is that a high concentration of really bad posts

the highest concentration of course being https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620&userid=146233

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

i didn't know this existed but boy is that a high concentration of really bad posts

the highest concentration of course being https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778620&userid=146233

So I read a bit too many of your posts from three years ago and saw you asked about Chicago and mtgcardmarket (rip). You still in Chicago? If so, we should cube or play gay dead legacy or something.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I know it wouldn't achieve anything, but boy howdy do I want to quote the poo poo out of this in the main thread.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

So I read a bit too many of your posts from three years ago and saw you asked about Chicago and mtgcardmarket (rip). You still in Chicago? If so, we should cube or play gay dead legacy or something.

for like two more weeks. my wife and i are moving

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

for like two more weeks. my wife and i are moving

Come to Denver see ya soon

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pontius Pilate posted:

Whatever happened to mtgcardmarket? I think the last I heard about them they bought out some guys who used to stream locals in Chicago or something?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Come to Denver see ya soon

negative ghostrider, though I was there recently and thoroughly crushed forums poster Moogs in some Dominaria draft

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Whatever happened to mtgcardmarket? I think the last I heard about them they bought out some guys who used to stream locals in Chicago or something?

they're dead, Jim

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They closed. Chicago is a really bad scene, honestly. There were like 2 bigger card shops in the city itself (and honestly like, what, 2 smaller ones if that?), and the others are all in the burbs. Somehow MTGCM couldn't stay alive.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Caleb was streaming this thing tonight. there should absolutely be at least one torrential gearhulk. the snapcaster/tarpit plan is just too drat slow, even if you're chaining nexus of fates together.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gearhulk might not be bad but it seems like the preferred wincon is a massive Blue Sun's Zenith aimed at the opponent. Also the deck definitely want four copies of Teachings.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I took Sultai Reclamation Teachings Nexus Zenith Tarpit Control to modern last night. Went 3-0 and then split with my buddy in the finals, because we had both decided to test the deck that week and wanted to play a casual game and go home earlier. The deck, despite looking like a pile, plays kinda awesome. Very much plays like a tempo sort of control deck where you aren't doing much for a while, and then suddenly you're in a position where you can't lose. I see why people kinda hate these cards in standard, although none of my opponents made me go through motions once they knew a win was basically locked in.

List that I copied: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1665726#paper

Round 1: Eldrazi Stompy 2-0

Game 1 I was able to deal with some early threats and he flooded out. I blue sunned myself a couple times, took a few extra turns, and eventually got there with snaps and tar pits, although I never saw reclamation. Game 2 he actually used a TKS to exile my Nexus, but nexus is not necessary to guarantee a win. Devour flesh a reality smasher, snap devour the next creature, drop a reclamation and BSZ myself repeatedly so I always have cards in hand until eventually I just get in with double snapcaster + tar pit.

Round 2: WB midrange? 2-0

Some kind of homebrewish type thing that wasn't optimal. He didn't have any early discard both games and his gameplan seemed a bit slow, which this deck can just wreck. I don't even remember most of what he tried, I remanded/cryptic/snap repeat just about everything. Never pulled off a big BSZ, but I did take about 7 extra turns in a row to lock up a win. I was snap-opting to find Nexus repeatedly, doing things like pointing fatal push at my own snap and then remanding it to draw a card, etc. Took a while to finish him because he had gained a lot of life, but it was inevitable after a certain point.

Round 3: Grixis Death Shadow 2-0

Game 1 he put himself down to 5 and played 2 deaths shadows over the course of the game, both of which I was able to deal with thanks to abrupt decay and push with counter backup. Finished him with 2 hits from tar pit after that. Game 2 I drew a nut, with multiple growth spirals finding me 2 fatal push, decay, snap. He only found push-able threats and no gurmag angler, so once I cleared his board I ran away with the game.

Round 4: Mirror, split

We played a single game pre-board just to see how it felt. It took about 40-45 minutes. He won eventually, thanks to some adjustments he thought were good and had made beforehand. Namely, the inclusion of a single JTMS and search for azcanta, plus he added a single syncopate over a remand specifically because he knew I was going to be playing it as well. I had thought search would be good but had no time to test the deck so I didn't adjust the list, and I think adding a single search is 100% correct. He won the single game because he stuck it and it let him reliably find nexus much more often. Despite this, by the end of the game I lost to a BSZ for 14 while he only had 8 cards in deck. Plays out a lot like a control mirror.

I can't remember what all my buddy played against, I know he beat jund 2-1 and beat spirits 2-1, can't remember what his first round was. I agree with Johnny above that it could try a torrential gearhulk instead of a 3rd snap. I'm not sure if it's needed but I'm not opposed to trying it out. I think a search for azcanta is needed, and I'm not opposed to the concept of a JtMS in the main either. I don't particularly feel like it needs a 4th teachings, but it might? If you add a search I don't think it needs it, deck already has a lot of drawing and cycling in it. The sideboard also needs tuning and I stated this in a chat earlier but I really feel like the sideboard construction is very hung up on trying to make everything an instant. I'm not sure how the current build can really beat up on something like tron, and it feels like it should be weak to discard heavy decks like GB midrange, probably burn too. Probably would benefit from a cleaner sideboard utilizing things like negate and probably a vendillion clique or two to help with things like a tron matchup. I tossed a notion thief in the sideboard as a fun-of but never got to try it. It definitely feels like a real deck and plays like a control deck with a finish that makes your opponent bored and miserable. It was a lot of fun!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Anyone else going to Niagara Falls? I'm locked, got an airbnb (lol Buffalo, nice 3 bedroom apartment to myself in pretty nice spot for $60/night), even managed to trick the bad CFB site into letting me find the event page and register (it might be linked properly by this time. I would hope.)

I'm taking some Depths variant, but I wanna spend a little time grinding some leagues with the BUG version before I lock on a 75. I've spent a lot of time with BG; my impression is that BUG is a little more all-in combo. It's a bad comparison but if the BG deck is jundy then BUG seems more similar to SnS.

Assuming I don't make day 2, I might do some Turbo Town Turbo Depths, but I also have a lot of connections to Buffalo so I might just end up hiking to the eternal flame or something.

suicidesteve posted:

My explanation is that [sultai reclamation] is bad.

When I saw this list I grinned; when I looked at it hard enough to see how it actually wins games, I immediately ordered the $20 or so in cards (plus a Nexus) that I needed to finish it in paper.

I don't really like modern but it's the only non rotating format I have access to. Since I generally end up wishing I was playing something else, I like decks which have a decent chance of making my opponents feel the same way. At a glance, this deck looks more obnoxious to me than mono U turns, and I also think it might be better; it seems very difficult to deal with if it gets Reclamation online, but even if it can't your deck is full of removal and not particularly soft to combo. Without having played it, but watched some streams, it's not clear to me that it's a worse deck than UW.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 26, 2019

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I just played a random MTGO opponent for tickets with that BUG wilderness list, and it ended up being one of the most tense matches I've played in a while. I got paired against G tron; game 1 he just overran me with an early karn that I couldn't recover from.

Game 2 I paced their tempo with growth spirals and remands on their first payoff cards for getting tron online, and then got a wilderness reclamation and managed to take an extra turn, chain a couple teachings, get another reclamation online, and do some generally annoying stuff. He casts Ulamog and kills the reclamations, but I tutor assassin's trophy, blow up tower and then extract it, edit away the Ulamog, and he just scooped from there with 8 minutes on the clock. I punted in this game by not having a stop set on my own end step; I could have chained several turns together before the turn where he cast Ulamog. My kid comes in to say goodnight at some point, letting the weirder of our two cats into the room.

For the second half of game 3 the cat was starting to be real pissed off about wanting to get out of the room, and I didn't want to take ~15 seconds to deal with it, so that was fun. They had an early relic, they crack it when my yard has a bunch of spirals and some counters. I draw my singleton field and kill tower while they're tapped out. They surgical my field which probably made them sad (they missed taking the one in the yard). They TKS me and take a teachings, leaving me with an edict, on their swing the next turn I edict and draw a reclamation, which I am able to play and also play a teachings / teachings with 2 mana up to remand something and then played snapcaster and started beating with snapcaster & tar pit. With under a minute on the clock I figure I should speed it up and so I teachings for a third snap to shave a turn off the clock, and won with ~30 sec left.

This deck is hilarious. Not going to turns with it every match seems quite doable with repetition, but I think I need to goldfish it in paper a whole bunch now that I see what the lines are, because you need to be able to just go go go. It feels like you're making a lot of decisions and it does have that toolbox element, but it seems more straightforward to find the correct play than UWx, because it's actually more proactive.

I wouldn't hate one jace in this deck; Ashiok is also a funny thought, at least for the sideboard, because making their library smaller by 6-12 cards makes the BSZ plan more viable. I did BSZ myself to draw 7 once while leaving cryptic up, which felt great, and is not something I've ever done in modern before. Not losing to an Ulamog is interesting, too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've been watching videos of the deck and playing around with it myself and the 60th card feels like a flex spot, a lot of times I'll see people simply running Hieroglyphic Illumination there and I think the guy who came up with the deck said he tried Search for Azcanta in that slot but ultimately didn't like it. Jace is probably good there but I've been going for the extra spice and running Nissa, Steward of Elements there. Drawing her early is great for fixing your draws and when I've drawn her I've been able to cast her for X > 6 and win the game on the spot.

Deck is fun but pretty hard to play, I definitely think the UGx Growth Spiral + Wilderness Reclamation + instants shell has legs but it feels really unrefined. I've also seen a Bant version pretty close to the BUG version and Caleb just streamed a UG version that runs fewer instants and more Flash creatures along with 4 Tireless Tracker. You could maybe even get away with a RUG version running Expansion//Explosion as a wincon :getin: I hope a pro tries this shell out at a big Modern event sometime because I'd be really curious to see what they come up with.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I’m going to Niagara Falls and I don’t know what I’ll be playing, but it will assuredly be bad.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I've been watching videos of the deck and playing around with it myself and the 60th card feels like a flex spot, a lot of times I'll see people simply running Hieroglyphic Illumination there and I think the guy who came up with the deck said he tried Search for Azcanta in that slot but ultimately didn't like it. Jace is probably good there but I've been going for the extra spice and running Nissa, Steward of Elements there. Drawing her early is great for fixing your draws and when I've drawn her I've been able to cast her for X > 6 and win the game on the spot.

Deck is fun but pretty hard to play, I definitely think the UGx Growth Spiral + Wilderness Reclamation + instants shell has legs but it feels really unrefined. I've also seen a Bant version pretty close to the BUG version and Caleb just streamed a UG version that runs fewer instants and more Flash creatures along with 4 Tireless Tracker. You could maybe even get away with a RUG version running Expansion//Explosion as a wincon :getin: I hope a pro tries this shell out at a big Modern event sometime because I'd be really curious to see what they come up with.

Horizon Chimera has flash.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
does anyone play mono-red phoenix in modern and have any sort of sideboarding guide? mostly looking to know what cards people cut.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

little munchkin posted:

does anyone play mono-red phoenix in modern and have any sort of sideboarding guide? mostly looking to know what cards people cut.

I play it a good amount online and while my sideboard isn't the same, this is a good guide of what to cut in general

http://www.starcitygames.com/articles/38309_How-I-Went-16-0-With-Mono-Red-Phoenix-At-SCG-Baltimore.html

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I’m going to Niagara Falls and I don’t know what I’ll be playing, but it will assuredly be bad.
Nice. I'm in BG depths, probably just pure golgari, and negotiating with my LGS owner to get a Tabernacle that's "sleeve playable, I swear" for $300 because it barely survived "The Pickle Incident". He said that once it is removed from sleeves, still reeks of dill.

My plan is to get it, but have Chasm as a backup, and consult with head judge before registering list.

Do you smoke weed? Will probably be bringing some to give away, we have too much

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oh yeah that’s that weekend isn’t it

Lmao yeah sure

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

man I wish all my cards smelled like dill

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i have some testing to do yet but I think I'm landing on some version of Esper Mentor with unearths. I'd post a list except it's just stoneblade but without the stoneblade package and playing mentors instead

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1103538914856439809?s=19

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
feel like this company is going to be really confused when i give them a piece of paper with my contact info and work experience. better put the word "resume" on top so they know what it is

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol I posted it in the wrong thread. Oh well.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what the hell is this https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1705637#online

edit: one more what is going ON in this format https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1699408#online

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm so torn as to if I'm happy this happened or if this bugs me that people take cockatrice of all things so seriously. I didn't understand what he was talking about to start. Control players hate losing apparently.

e: Apparently I'm banned from joining games with them now.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 10, 2019

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've been playing an Esper version of Thief of Sanity in legacy for the last week or so and it's been waaaaay overperforming my expectations.

Both in terms of fun per hour spent; and in winrate.

Turns out, generally speaking, most decks run cards that are generally good against their own gameplan. 12post seems to be about the only TRULY bad matchup; there are some rough ones (burn); but everything else feels winnable.

https://www.cardhoarder.com/d/5c8547f5a49d9

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Y'know what? Vedalkan Shackles is actually probably really good right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I love both of these decks TBH, even if I don't quite know how the second one works (Field/Quarter recursion?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

I love both of these decks TBH, even if I don't quite know how the second one works (Field/Quarter recursion?)

That's exactly how it works. You keep getting your land killers and Martyr back with Cruicible/Titan/Emeria while locking your opponent with Runed Halo/Nevermore.