Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the best dumb shabbat rules lawyering is the fishing line that surrounds all of manhattan making it symbolically a personal dwelling allowing for some work to be done outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

VectorSigma posted:

lol at everyone missing the Shabbat joke

I got it, but didn't think it would be in good taste if I asked if the Nazis worked on Shabbas.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

violent sex idiot posted:

the best dumb shabbat rules lawyering is the fishing line that surrounds all of manhattan making it symbolically a personal dwelling allowing for some work to be done outside

The eruv really isn't about doing work, it's about being able to carry things like house keys, medication, babies etc. People misunderstand the eruv as expanding the boundaries of the household or personal dwelling when really it's more like substituting for the boundaries of a city wall. The original restriction was on carrying burdens into or out of the gates of Jerusalem on shabbat. On the other hand you still can't do things like open an umbrella or play golf, so there's that.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have heard from a coworker that the Chicago electric utility (Com Ed) has to report if certain electrical lines fall down. That those lines are used for the same thing, substituting for a city wall on Shabbat.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
god is a real stickler for not opening umbrellas on saturday. that's his main pet peeve. satan is always opening tons of umbrellas in hell.

edit: i guess hell doesn't really factor in here

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mozi posted:

god is a real stickler for not opening umbrellas on saturday. that's his main pet peeve. satan is always opening tons of umbrellas in hell.

Umbrellas of Satan would be a great user name.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

I have heard from a coworker that the Chicago electric utility (Com Ed) has to report if certain electrical lines fall down. That those lines are used for the same thing, substituting for a city wall on Shabbat.

Some flights have been delayed or canceled because of religious assholes who can't plan better and don't want to have to fly on shabbat.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mozi posted:

No, you see, an umbrella is technically a tent because it protects you from the elements :jewish:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
https://my.mixtape.moe/ipngwv.mp4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
She doesn't want to be filmed leave her alone :mad:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/SteampunkMuppet/status/1095330439814963200

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

violent sex idiot posted:

I mean, if you don't want to follow the dumb rules because they're pointless and inconvenient, then don't follow the dumb rules

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nocheez posted:

Some flights have been delayed or canceled because of religious assholes who can't plan better and don't want to have to fly on shabbat.

How does that work? "My religion forbids me to fly this day" "ok then don't get on the plane, see ya"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just lol at a religious doctrine rules lawyering a supposedly all seeing omnipotent god.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm not an expert on this (so should probably keep my mouth shut) but i think that's kind of the point

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It's exactly the point. "God gave us brains and it pleases him when we use them". It's like if your kid gets in trouble at school in a really creative way. Sure you've gotta discipline them but it makes you a little proud.

The basis of modern Jewish thought (like post second temple) is dialectic.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

sneakyfrog posted:

just lol at a religious doctrine rules lawyering a supposedly all seeing omnipotent god.

Let me introduce you to The Oven of Akhnai.

Rules Lawyering is a deeply ingrained part of the Jewish faith.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i guess its just weird to me, but then i grew up as evangelical talking in tongues supposed to be a pastor one day kid, so i mean im not one to judge anyones flavor of deity

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

sneakyfrog posted:

i guess its just weird to me, but then i grew up as evangelical talking in tongues supposed to be a pastor one day kid, so i mean im not one to judge anyones flavor of deity

I can't find it offhand, but there's a great bit in 'Lamb: The Gospel According To Biff' about the difference between the Jews and the other religions.

They didn't choose to be Jewish. God chose them.

So, yeah, they screw up and sometimes bad enough that entire cities get burned to the ground or people get turned into pillars of salt, but they're still Jewish. They can always go home, even after having a double bacon cheeseburger.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh that looks like something i would read, thanks friend!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Relentless posted:

So this guy says that the oven fits their rules and everyone else says "NUH UH" so then he gets god to do magical acts to signify that he is correct, and then god directly speaks to them and says "hey, this guy is right." But then the other guy says a quote from the torah and everyone agrees that it proves the first guy is wrong because they disagree with him. So then the second guy banishes the first guy in the name of unity. Then later says that he talked to god and god was super happy that they defeated him. I expected to see "and that Rabbi was Donald Trump" at the end of the wikipedia page.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Relentless posted:

That whole story is amazing

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
agreed

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Ow:

quote:

A 54-year-old worker died after he fell into a vat of sulfuric acid at a South Lyon-based steel manufacturing firm in what is being described as a "serious industrial accident."

Daniel Hill was fully submerged in the 10 percent to 12 percent sulfuric acid solution Saturday afternoon as his Michigan Seamless Tube co-workers worked desperately to pull him from the industrial container, burning themselves from the at least 160-degree chemical solution, Fire Chief Robert Vogel said.

"Other employees, co-workers saw him in the tank," Vogel said. "He was completely submerged and was 100 percent covered in burns. The gentleman was trying to get out. They ran and grabbed him and pulled him out."

Roughly 11 hours later, Hill died of chemical burns at 11:30 p.m. Saturday, said Kristin LaMaire, administrative assistant to the Washtenaw County Medical Examiner.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2019/02/11/man-54-dies-industrial-accident-south-lyon/2835704002/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Relentless posted:

"All the gates of Heaven are apt to be locked, except for the gates of prayer for victims of verbal mistreatment."

Trolling is the most dangerous game.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

misguided rage posted:

That whole story is amazing

This is going to sound hilariously dorky but the Talmud has some hilarious stories.

The newly wedded husband who goes to the Rabbi and says "My wife doesn't feel like a virgin!" and is met with "Hmmm... how would you know?" is one of my favorites.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Ugh, boiling acid too. This is the stuff of my nightmares ever since I saw RoboCop when I was like six. Poor guy :(

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD2D5L-2BNI

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Relentless posted:

quote:

It was said that Rabbi Eliezer had the power to destroy the whole world, yet due to the respectful manner in which he was ostracized, only a third of the world's crops were destroyed
"What the gently caress was this all about?' asked a Nazca farmer.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
if youre a cop does getting lit up when your own side fires 42 bullets in 11 seconds count as OSHA? because one nypd cop just got killed and another got shot in the leg when that happened yesterday

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
fuckn paulie

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I don't get where Shrek is in this video, and why the guy backed up.

Also lol that he thinks being in that spot would have killed him. Would have messed his car up a bit for sure.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

quite stretched out posted:

if youre a cop does getting lit up when your own side fires 42 bullets in 11 seconds count as OSHA? because one nypd cop just got killed and another got shot in the leg when that happened yesterday

No but it counts as murder charged against the poor fool they were trying to shoot.

Cops could mistake you for a suspected shoplifter, yell for you to stop, you not realize they're yelling at you to stop and when they open fire and hit some random pedestrians and another cop congrats you just murdered a cop while resisting arrest.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“All Star” by Smash Mouth is playing in the car.

The same song was featured in the 2001 film Shrek.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

“All Star” by Smash Mouth is playing in the car.

The same song was featured in the 2001 film Shrek.

That still doesn't explain why the driver reversed when stopped at the lights or how the song actually played into that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"need to get myself away from this place"

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quite stretched out posted:

because one nypd cop just got killed and another got shot in the leg when that happened yesterday

:yosnice:

Here's some more cop osha:
Cops get spooked by a barking dog. Cop draws his gun to shoot the dog but shoots his partner

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=327613864761295

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nice

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

ekuNNN posted:

Cops get spooked by a barking dog. Cop draws his gun to shoot the dog but shoots his partner

lmao owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

Who loving fired? The guy behind the door didnt seem like he was even facing that direction

police are very trustworthy and should defintely have guns jfc