Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:ironicat: but don’t loving post if you haven’t reviewed the extant evidence. you’re doing “I didn’t get the email that there was a test today so I didn’t show up I should be allowed a retake” level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Going 'yes but was it abuse abuse, in my opinion as an unrelated party, no' is something you should really know better than to try in this thread of all places.

E: or anywhere else, holy poo poo

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
You're all absolutely right and I'm sorry for derailing the thread with such bullshit.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
From a former wotc customer services person

quote:

His soliciting of emails in the first place, whether he intended to take them seriously, was an attempt to avoid accountability for the decision. He was trying to "handle it himself" rather than it being handled through proper channels so it didn't make him and his team look bad.

https://twitter.com/XPMatthewLee/status/1095758445427470338

Warthur
May 2, 2004

So what I am getting from that is that WotC Customer Services is the point of call for complaints, and if people think the action taken by Wizards/Mearls isn't enough they're the people who need contacting, yes?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I'm not sure anything is going to be done about Mearls by contacting them, at this point. His tweet was pretty firmly cemented in a lot of legalese bullshit given to him by the PR team. From what I'm reading of M. Lee's posts. Either it was an act of pure, unbridled incompetence and being unwilling to let the proper channels handle the issue, or an act of pure malice so that it wasn't handled properly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, one thing I was going to point out is that it's possible that Mearls isn't allowed to apologize for fear of legal endangerment or the like.

That doesn't do anything to exonerate him or ensure that he'd actually apologize otherwise, of course. It's more another nail in the coffin we're burying the corpse of his conscience in.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Why not both?

This reeked of "gotta protect mah boys" wagon circling (malice) but going about it in a very stupid way.

My hope is that Zak's ego is so bruised by Mearls calling him a playtester that he brings the receipts in whatever bullshit "statement" he posts. That's about the most good that could happen at this point

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, one thing I was going to point out is that it's possible that Mearls isn't allowed to apologize for fear of legal endangerment or the like.

That doesn't do anything to exonerate him or ensure that he'd actually apologize otherwise, of course. It's more another nail in the coffin we're burying the corpse of his conscience in.

Arthil posted:

I'm not sure anything is going to be done about Mearls by contacting them, at this point. His tweet was pretty firmly cemented in a lot of legalese bullshit given to him by the PR team. From what I'm reading of M. Lee's posts. Either it was an act of pure, unbridled incompetence and being unwilling to let the proper channels handle the issue, or an act of pure malice so that it wasn't handled properly.

That assumes anyone senior at WotC/HR/Customer services etc. knows the truth at this point.

The linked comment by Mearls said 'playtester', so it could just be that he got out ahead of it, told people 'hey a guy who playtested for us has turned out to be an abuser and we had no idea whatsoever' and that's what they came up with.

If they don't know about his involvement before then they'd certainly benefit from knowing now. And likewise just because this is their first statement doesn't mean things won't go further if there's more pushback and criticism of an executive abusing his position.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Arthil posted:

Appealing to bureaucratic and corporate sensibility in this day and age is a fool’s game. The system has failed. Public outcry and social pressure is the only recourse here.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

That's a lot of light shed on how intensely bad Mearls handled everything, regardless of the motivation. I'm surprised, given how he tried to "manage" the situation and sweep it under every rug possible, that someone with some balls in the Wotc/Hasbro hierarchy hasn't fired him or at least kicked off the process of promoting him up and out. He sucks at game design and at being a decent human.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I think the fact that Vivka who has been directly related to several WotC events like the Stream of Many Eyes coming out with her own story of abuse might help push something to happen for the company to more publicly denounce him. Maybe. But as you say, corporate sensibility doesn't seem to exist.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
in a real country like the philippines the communists shoot sexual predators

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The D&D office, if anything, seems to systematically weed out competency. At this point I'm expecting a 6th edition under the watchful eye of Sean K Reynolds.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The D&D office, if anything, seems to systematically weed out competency. At this point I'm expecting a 6th edition under the watchful eye of Sean K Reynolds.

Remember feat points? Let’s do feat points again.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hot take: this has been true since gary gygax took charge.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Time for the triumphant return of Feat Points! Natural Spell will finally be recognized as a worse feat than Diligent, which gives +2 to Appraise and Decipher Script.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Impermanent posted:

and drug dealers, and drug users, and people who've never even committed a crime. Vigilante justice can be appealing, but it's no solution. Instead, let us continue to spread the word about Zak S, support his victims, and boycott those who continue to work with him

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Arthil posted:

Naw.

PR legalese would've been a lot of "we regret" and poo poo like that. It would've been weasely in a corporate way, where nobody is responsible for this bad thing, and they're sorry they let you down, and etc etc, and his tweet isn't. That's 100% Mearls doing his own posting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Let's not.

Arivia posted:

Remember feat points? Let’s do feat points again.

It was a Speculative Experiment, gosh.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Arthil posted:

I think the fact that Vivka who has been directly related to several WotC events like the Stream of Many Eyes coming out with her own story of abuse might help push something to happen for the company to more publicly denounce him. Maybe. But as you say, corporate sensibility doesn't seem to exist.

The corporate sensibility in this case almost certainly will come down to whether they perceive this shitfest and Mearls' attachment to it is impacting the value of their brand. And most of that will depend on how much the story of Mearls and Zak gets referenced in larger media than just the tabletop scene. Getting the story picked up in more general geek circles will definitely help with that, but in the end the tipping point will be "is WOTC and Hasbro worried that their brand manager's stupid fuckup is something potential licencors are going to find in google searches". If they think that's going to happen, Mearls will be gone pretty quickly. We've a ways to go yet to get to that though.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Loomer posted:

https://tabletopsmissingstairs.blogspot.com/2019/02/zak-s-and-other-horrible-tabletop-people.html

Haven't had a chance to read that through myself yet but Strix is passing it around as a convenient resource for new people on the problem.

I feel sick, but I hope it's just the bad virus I have, and not the sinking feeling that I need to burn all my 5th ed D&D books to wipe my memory of Mike Mearls response. I've been down the rabbit hole reading about both RPGPundit and Zac S (holy poo poo it's been going on since the edition got released?!?!!?!?).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Comstar posted:

I feel sick, but I hope it's just the bad virus I have, and not the sinking feeling that I need to burn all my 5th ed D&D books to wipe my memory of Mike Mearls response. I've been down the rabbit hole reading about both RPGPundit and Zac S (holy poo poo it's been going on since the edition got released?!?!!?!?).

Before that. They've both been shitheads that hurt people well before that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Before that. They've both been shitheads that hurt people well before that.

Yeah, them being announced as consultants was one of the big signs to people here about how trash 5e would turn out to be.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Yeah, Mearl's most egregious event comes during 5E's 'playtest' days when it was still Next. It was covered up just by the merit of it being incredibly uninteresting to anyone outside the hobby. What he did with Zak is beyond atrocious, but it happened to a very small subset of a very small hobby, and it happened to groups that the hobby as a whole has been just fine with being lovely to.

I earnestly hope there will be some accounting for it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Comstar posted:

Your first mistake was having 5th Ed books to begin with, even in spite of current events.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Xelkelvos posted:

Your first mistake was having 5th Ed books to begin with, even in spite of current events.

Yeah because this is the perfect time to grind out your Edition Wars points on people who weren't aware of Zak's toxicity.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Darwinism posted:

Yeah, Mearl's most egregious event comes during 5E's 'playtest' days when it was still Next. It was covered up just by the merit of it being incredibly uninteresting to anyone outside the hobby. What he did with Zak is beyond atrocious, but it happened to a very small subset of a very small hobby, and it happened to groups that the hobby as a whole has been just fine with being lovely to.

I earnestly hope there will be some accounting for it.

What surprised me most was Mearl's complete lack of apology he tweeted yesterday, with a small easily disprovable defence that Zak was just a "playtester". This stench is going to follow him around forever -the only way to make some of it go away is to publicly admit he protected Zak and he was wrong. If he does any public Q&A's again he's going to be asked about it every single time.

Considering how many people did get manipulated, it wouldn't be that much extra shame to admit he got manipulated as well. I can onlypresume that Zak has something else that he can hold over Mearl's and Hasbro HR head, to expose when needed.

Hasbo's going to get nervous about this, once a reporter starts sniffing around, because the amount of evidence that's been left lying around will make it easy to follow the trail right back to them. It's not often that someone does a cover-up and then goes ahead.... and just tweet's it out (which is what Mearl's did when he said he investigated it).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 13, 2019

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Comstar posted:

What surprised me most was Mearl's complete lack of apology he tweeted yesterday, with a small easily disprovable defence that Zak was just a "playtester". This stench is going to follow him around forever -the only way to make some of it go away is to publicly admit he protected Zak and he was wrong. If he does any public Q&A's again he's going to be asked about it every single time.

Hasbo's going to get nervous about this, once a reporter starts sniffing around, because the amount of evidence that's been left lying around will make it easy to follow the trail right back to them. It's not often that someone does a cover-up and then goes ahead.... and just tweet's it out (which is what Mearl's did when he said he investigated it).

Yeah, the statement he released is bizzare in the current day, which makes me think that if WotC PR was involved in any way they were heavily lied to about what all took place. Zak's got a 'consultant' credit alongside industry bigwigs and within minutes of Mearl's dumb nonapology people were providing screengrabs because of course they were this is 20-loving-19 Mearls. So he's probably desperately hoping that it just blows over again the same way - people pointing out how utterly terrible he is but no one with the power to do anything about it knowing or caring.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lumbermouth posted:

Yeah because this is the perfect time to grind out your Edition Wars points on people who weren't aware of Zak's toxicity.

the old Next thread would bring this up every other page, followed swiftly by people saying it wasn't germane to the product

people were perfectly willing to tell others that they shouldn't pick up 5e on the basis of Zak's inclusion as a credit on the game if one was willing to look

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Yeah, the statement he released is bizzare in the current day, which makes me think that if WotC PR was involved in any way they were heavily lied to about what all took place. Zak's got a 'consultant' credit alongside industry bigwigs and within minutes of Mearl's dumb nonapology people were providing screengrabs because of course they were this is 20-loving-19 Mearls. So he's probably desperately hoping that it just blows over again the same way - people pointing out how utterly terrible he is but no one with the power to do anything about it knowing or caring.

This is what I think, especially with the ex-Wotc cust-serv guy saying how this was a rogue operation by Mearls in the first place.

And why i think emailing wotc and tweeting at them and spreading this wider could get attention.

Also we know he's a liar to his customers/the industry, why wouldn't he also have lied to his colleagues to cover up something he was covering up in the first place?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

gradenko_2000 posted:

the old Next thread would bring this up every other page, followed swiftly by people saying it wasn't germane to the product

people were perfectly willing to tell others that they shouldn't pick up 5e on the basis of Zak's inclusion as a credit on the game if one was willing to look

Oh believe me, I remember that. But I think telling someone who seemingly just found out about the extent of this stuff that they shouldn't have bought those books in the first place is counterproductive.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

gradenko_2000 posted:

Several iterations of the 5E thread specifically banned discussion of this because I guess it’s hard to enjoy your toys when people remind you that it aided and abetted serial harassment. Now is the loving time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Maltose posted:

Several iterations of the 5E thread specifically banned discussion of this because I guess it’s hard to enjoy your toys when people remind you that it aided and abetted serial harassment. Now is the loving time.

tbh it's the OSR thread that needs to be gassed at this point

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Both really. Lock them for like a month and then reopen them with stated details on how much of a shitlord these people are. There’s no reason for our threads to cover for rapists and their enablers, even if the 5e players whine like crazy about it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gradenko_2000 posted:

We have an OSR thread?

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I'm involved in an intensely unpleasant argument about Mike Mearls in which every attempt I make to ascribe any behaviour to Mearls-in-the-past is met with accusations of rumormongering and requests for proof.

For my benefit, and possibly the benefit of anyone else who is unlucky enough be involved in a similar argument, does anyone know of any public record or evidence as to Mearls having handed people's in-confidence criticism of Zak to Zak with names unredacted that I can use in this argument?

To my knowledge there's no "gotcha!" evidence on the matter e.g, a direct admission from Mearls or Zak, but is there at least anything circumstantial? A post from Mearls soliciting complaints about Zak or even just a testimonial from a victim or a third party from around the time? something that I can point to as proof that I'm not just making it up out of whole cloth

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest/amp?__twitter_impression=true

It's hard because so much was lost with G+ but there you go.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kwyndig posted:

We have an OSR thread?

Do we ever

VacuumJockey posted:

I don't care about proof per se. If the guy's a rapist, his victims will hopefully seek legal redress. That's where proof will come in handy.

To be completely clear about this, I'm neither condemning nor defending Zak, or the practice of beating your SO and being an insufferable egotist. But gently caress if I'm joining a lynch mob on the strength of two links to social media - none of which contain the name of the accuser(s).

When the dude's arraigned - that's when I'll bring my pitchfork to the town meeting. Until then, let's talk elf games.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Because an American court will totally be respectful and kind to a pair of porn actresses who engaged in a kink-based relationship with their abuser.

That's totally not going to gently caress them over hardcore.

Going to court over this would put Mandy and Vivka in danger, and who knows what else. They can't take this court unless they're absolutely prepared for that, and I can't imagine many prosecutors being willing to go through with it, given the nature of the case.