Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also, I can't wait for the first engine failure for Verstappen. Like...seriously...there's a bottle of Sekt I will keep close at all times to pop open once that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

tuo posted:

It seems like they don't harvest and deploy at the same time. They switch between both on a 25ms rate. They spool up the turbo by means of MGU-K for 25ms until it reaches the maximum allowed rpms, then let it spin for another 25ms, dumping some energy back into the battery (which else would have been wasted/wouldn't have been harvested with the same efficiency), and switch that on/off during off-throttle. So the drive-train is basically in a high frequent "deploy/harvest" cycle to maximize the harvest time for the batteries...

It might sound good on paper, but even thinking about the physical stress, and even worse, the bad loving sound the engine makes during testing where the whole F1 world listens for the worst engine (and this is the important part, mind you), makes me mad.

Again I’m not 100% sure but I believe you can’t harvest and deploy at the same time under the regs so this is the closest you can get.

Don’t see how this is additional stress given the parts only move in one direction, it’s not like an engine where you’re dealing with a change of force direction. Heat isn’t an argument as the compressor is split from the turbine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tuo posted:

Also, I can't wait for the first engine failure for Verstappen. Like...seriously...there's a bottle of Sekt I will keep close at all times to pop open once that happens.
It's going to be Melbourne, and Gasly will have a points finish just because he's not so aggressive.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidpoocati posted:

Again I’m not 100% sure but I believe you can’t harvest and deploy at the same time under the regs so this is the closest you can get.

Don’t see how this is additional stress given the parts only move in one direction, it’s not like an engine where you’re dealing with a change of force direction. Heat isn’t an argument as the compressor is split from the turbine.

Even if they are split, they are not decoupled in regard to forces, are they? They don't have a clutch or anything, so putting it into generator mode should put stress on it, shouldn't it?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

tuo posted:

Even if they are split, they are not decoupled in regard to forces, are they? They don't have a clutch or anything, so putting it into generator mode should put stress on it, shouldn't it?

Mercedes puts the MGU-K in the middle, there would have to be some sort of clutch element under that setup, I’d assume Honda is the same.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidpoocati posted:

Mercedes puts the MGU-K in the middle, there would have to be some sort of clutch element under that setup, I’d assume Honda is the same.

Ah, dafuck, I didn't mean MGU-K in my post before, sorry (it's too late here already)!!!! I meant MGU-H. The MGU-H is switched on/off from harvest/deploy, and I can't imagine it having a clutch between compressor and turbine. And thus, switching it between harvest/deploy should put stress on it on every switch, else you couldn't "harvest" anything.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I have no idea what a mguh or a mguk is, they sound like Thai hookers. I prefer the term "engine"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

tuo posted:

Ah, dafuck, I didn't mean MGU-K in my post before, sorry (it's too late here already)!!!! I meant MGU-H. The MGU-H is switched on/off from harvest/deploy, and I can't imagine it having a clutch between compressor and turbine. And thus, switching it between harvest/deploy should put stress on it on every switch, else you couldn't "harvest" anything.

Whichever one drives the turbo is the one that sits in the middle, the advantage is you could decouple the compressor side when harvesting and vice versa for deploying to maximize efficiency.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

I have no idea what a mguh or a mguk is, they sound like Thai hookers. I prefer the term "engine"

I think Power Unit is the new engine

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Kimoa Kid posted:

THEIR LOGO IS THE WORD "RACING" AND THEN A POINT

Looks more like a pimple.

Just like Lance.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You Am I posted:

Looks more like a pimple.

Just like Lance.

I'd say more of a boil.

Heh, Lance the boil.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

jazzyhattrick posted:

I'd say more of a boil.

Heh, Lance the boil.

I’d sear Chloe’s boil if ya know what I mean fellas

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I may have been too hard on Honda, it sounds like the Mercedes driven by the King of Kings and Lord of Hosts does the idle speed stutter too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I9rrECXnKw

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that racing dot car is dope

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I think the subtle nod to the team's heritage with the red dot in their logo is cool.

lmao

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I may have been too hard on Honda, it sounds like the Mercedes driven by the King of Kings and Lord of Hosts does the idle speed stutter too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I9rrECXnKw

he literally has jesus on the back of his helmet

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like Vettel but I'm hoping the season ends up with LeClerc treating him the way he treated Webber

Its only fair

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidpoocati posted:

Whichever one drives the turbo is the one that sits in the middle, the advantage is you could decouple the compressor side when harvesting and vice versa for deploying to maximize efficiency.

That's against the regulations, IIRC. There is something that the compressor and the turbine must spin at the same rpms at all times.

e: found it:

5.1.6 Pressure charging may only be effected by the use of a sole single stage compressor linked to
a sole single stage exhaust turbine by a shaft assembly parallel to the engine crankshaft and
within 25mm of the car centre plane. The shaft must be designed so as to ensure that the
shaft assembly, the compressor and the turbine always rotate about a common axis and at the
same angular velocity, an electrical motor generator (MGU-H) may be directly coupled to it.
The shaft may not be mechanically linked to any other device.

btw, I also found this:

4.4 Ballast :
Ballast can be used provided it is secured in such a way that tools are required for its removal.

So Stroll can only be removed with tools? That seems wrong and unsafe.

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 14, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/RenaultF1Team/status/1095970400977051649?s=20

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I like how Renault have embraced Dan's sense of fun. He's a big personality and will add a lot to the team :)

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate Ricciardo antics and i hope Renault fails

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

I hate Ricciardo antics and i hope Renault fails

Mods??

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tuo posted:

Thanks Ants posted:

It's going to be Melbourne, and Gasly will have a points finish just because he's not so aggressive.
Verstappen is going to own all those frauds with his Honda powered dream machine and I'll be here all season to watch the meltdowns about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’ll be here for Horner getting angry when the team has to keep retiring cars with engine problems

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope honda is so bad that RBR has to retire from formula 1

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

Verstappen is going to own all those frauds with his Honda powered dream machine and I'll be here all season to watch the meltdowns about it.

Retarded Dutch Teen Defender has logged on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
mclaren launch coming up boys, on a scale of MP4-30 to MCL32 how bland and utterly disappointing will this be

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rhopunzel posted:

mclaren launch coming up boys, on a scale of MP4-30 to MCL32 how bland and utterly disappointing will this be

It will be MP4-29 bad.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Thanks Ants posted:

It will be MP4-29 bad.

oh jeez i totally forgot about that shitheap

they went from "it's a placeholder livery!" in preseason to "we're talking to multiple title sponsors" at australia and then that ridiculous "didn't want a title sponsor anyway" poo poo ron spun up

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also it had a dick on the front of it

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if they dont have a good car i hope they dont use the iconic papaya color or the black and silver one.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

It's gonna knock your socks off and there's gonna be a title sponsor

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Can't wait to see what the slowest car on the grid is gonna look like, Just over 15 minutes to go!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Williams already did their launch

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Does this count as a "slow" color?

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Not if Kimi is in that seat.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It looks like the finish on a bowling ball, therefore it's good. Also

Old Grasshopper posted:

Not if Kimi is in that seat.

lol

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/1096015458426339329

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 14, 2019

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that alfa needs some green

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hmm, forward, good idea. Nice to see McLaren trying a new direction.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How many emails do you think go around McLaren each week talking about the correct hashtags to use, and where to put the capital letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

How many emails do you think go around McLaren each week talking about the correct hashtags to use, and where to put the capital letters.

Who is Lessly Forward, and why should we fear them?