Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I definitely still have a soft spot for that type of game -- "open" but still objective/mission-based. You get the tension of having to work towards a specific goal at a specific time, but lots of freedom in figuring out how to get there. (Not unlike Thief.) It's not just freedom for freedom's sake, it enhances the experience by making you feel like you're really accomplishing something, coming up with the solution on your own. Whereas a lot of open world games lack any sense of tension except when you go into a sort of "dungeon" that's basically a linear mini-game. Most of the time it feels like you can just run anywhere at any time and shoot anything, and if you happen to complete some objectives, cool.

That's an asset in a game like Just Cause 2, but a liability in others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm a little annoyed that Limited Run Games and Romero haven't said a word about Sigil in more than a month. We're in mid-February now.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

juggalo baby coffin posted:

which is the best in your opinion? i tend to rank blood as the tip top of the build engine games, but I dunno where i'd put it vs doom, quake, and heretic

I'd rank it Doom, Hexen, Blood, Duke, Heretic. But I don't like Quake and I like Hexen a lot.

DUSK would be really high on that list too if it wasn't new.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
In the first Crysis at least, I think you could just edit an ini file and then use the cool suit abilities way more of the time so you were basically a Predator. It made the game way easy but also incredibly fun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's what i did, edited cloak so it doesn't drain energy (or maybe it was like 1 energy a second or something i can't remember)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mordja posted:

Crysis 1 speed mode: run at mach 10, literally bowling over Koreans when you run into them

You can do some neat things with the movement in Crysis!

https://imgur.com/a/vXnS8tR

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 13, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Danger - Octopus! posted:

In the first Crysis at least, I think you could just edit an ini file and then use the cool suit abilities way more of the time so you were basically a Predator. It made the game way easy but also incredibly fun.

You could still be the predator with default values, because the cloak had ridiculous uptime if you didn't move or moved very slowly. And if you decloaked before shooting the shot didn't empty the energy bar, so you could immediately recloak afterwards.

vvv Yeah and the stealth mechanics in general were good enough that the cloak was only really needed to get into position. Once you were prone in the tall grass or crouched in a bush it was extremely hard to for anyone to spot you. Crysis 1 is still so loving good.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 13, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC it only had ridiculous uptime if you stood still, if you moved while cloaked it drained a lot faster. So it really did turn you into an ambush predator.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

which is the best in your opinion? i tend to rank blood as the tip top of the build engine games, but I dunno where i'd put it vs doom, quake, and heretic
Above Heretic for sure, but I can never seem to tell whether I prefer Doom or Quake (each one is more versatile than the other in a few key ways so it kind of evens out), so trying to figure out where Blood fits in there would force me to contend with that issue and I'm not sure I can at the moment.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The only thing I remember about Crysis Warhead from watching speedrun streams is that the ending has some comically bad motion capture.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Shadow Hog posted:

Above Heretic for sure, but I can never seem to tell whether I prefer Doom or Quake (each one is more versatile than the other in a few key ways so it kind of evens out), so trying to figure out where Blood fits in there would force me to contend with that issue and I'm not sure I can at the moment.

for me i would say base quake is a better game than base doom, but doom has much better mods these days than quake

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I love Heretic, not sure why

and that's acknowledging it's annoying faults and bullet spongy enemies

But I love the vibrant colors and the atmosphere was really neat

gently caress those later two eps are brutal though, I can't remember if I beat them both cleanly or not

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Heretic is one of those games where I just want to make a WAD of the levels that don't suck and play that all the time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sir Lemming posted:

I definitely still have a soft spot for that type of game -- "open" but still objective/mission-based. You get the tension of having to work towards a specific goal at a specific time, but lots of freedom in figuring out how to get there. (Not unlike Thief.) It's not just freedom for freedom's sake, it enhances the experience by making you feel like you're really accomplishing something, coming up with the solution on your own. Whereas a lot of open world games lack any sense of tension except when you go into a sort of "dungeon" that's basically a linear mini-game. Most of the time it feels like you can just run anywhere at any time and shoot anything, and if you happen to complete some objectives, cool.

That's an asset in a game like Just Cause 2, but a liability in others.

This is a big reason why the new Hitman games are so excellent, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm a little annoyed that Limited Run Games and Romero haven't said a word about Sigil in more than a month. We're in mid-February now.
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1095835123570872322

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was too young for Daikatana but Romero apparently still managed to make me his bitch.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Heretic is a really important game to me because it was the first FPS game I ever played, I played it sitting on my dads knee at his computer when i was like 3 or 4 years old

i still really like the idea of a fantasy FPS, i think the enemies and weapon set are great, but i think some of the levels are weak. the first episode is cool because the levels are kind of built more like real places, like the little town, the first level is a dock, all that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OK, but is the wad still coming out this month?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mordja posted:

OK, but is the wad still coming out this month?
John's been playing Fortnite recently and wants to integrate those ideas into the WAD now. So it'll come out this month, 2021.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Doesn't he know that Apex is the new hotness?? :argh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mordja posted:

Doesn't he know that Apex is the new hotness?? :argh:
You just added a year. Shouldn't have said anything. And he brought on George Broussard as a collaborator.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Casimir Radon posted:

John's been playing Fortnite recently and wants to integrate those ideas into the WAD now. So it'll come out this month, 2021.

Okay so you and 99 chaingunners drop onto a map

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I was going to make some Sigil joke about collecting resources to build defensive structures a la Fortnite...but then it got me thinking about classic FPS games (and mods) and which were the first to give a player or class the ability to build things besides turrets and ammo points. Things like walls.

Could you build walls in Team Fortress Classic? I know that the "Teddy" character from UT99's Unreal4Ever mod eventually had the ability to build brick walls, although the utility was somewhat limited and it was definitely something the AI wasn't remotely equipped to deal with. I think that's the first time I saw that in an FPS game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was going to make some Sigil joke about collecting resources to build defensive structures a la Fortnite...but then it got me thinking about classic FPS games (and mods) and which were the first to give a player or class the ability to build things besides turrets and ammo points. Things like walls.

Could you build walls in Team Fortress Classic? I know that the "Teddy" character from UT99's Unreal4Ever mod eventually had the ability to build brick walls, although the utility was somewhat limited and it was definitely something the AI wasn't remotely equipped to deal with. I think that's the first time I saw that in an FPS game.

Wasn't there a Tribes mod that had some of that?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

victrix posted:

I love Heretic, not sure why

and that's acknowledging it's annoying faults and bullet spongy enemies

But I love the vibrant colors and the atmosphere was really neat

gently caress those later two eps are brutal though, I can't remember if I beat them both cleanly or not

Best use of the color blue of any doom engine game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mordja posted:

I distinctly recall a Tribes mod that had building stuff out of blocks in it... Some blind Googling tells me it might have been Construction Mod for Tribes 2.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

You just added a year. Shouldn't have said anything. And he brought on George Broussard as a collaborator.

whoa whoa whoa, say what you want about john romero but he actually managed to ship a game. broussard is in a special category all by himself.

also daikatana is a fun a game.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i would buy and wear a daikatana t-shirt

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
John Romero
Made Me
His
B I T C H

E: huh guess the forums don't read spaces at the beginning of new lines, pretend that's centered

site fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 14, 2019

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

site posted:

John Romero
Made Me
His
B I T C H

E: huh guess the forums don't read spaces at the beginning of new lines, pretend that's centered

With a paragraph of clarification that bitch means beat me in a video game and not something else on the back.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

i would buy and wear a daikatana t-shirt

You know what? I would too, and I haven't gotten past the first few levels. I need to pick it back up at some point.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Mordja posted:

as a hugely massive fan and player of Tribes 1 and 2, Tribes 1 had an even sillier and more complex base building capability than even T2 could manage. being able to take standard world objects like BRIDGES and SHIPS and turn them into spawnable assets was commonplace, with one mod adding the ability to create forward bases with teleports to it, or even call down a dropship using a beacon (assuming the beacon didn't get blown up before it could land). said dropship could also be destroyed by taking out it's generator and stopping players from repairing it before the ship went critical and blew up. You could also have weirdly minute micromanaging of defenses, using blast walls, blast doors, blast floors and bunches of micro sized turrets to create walls of death with hidden turrets in them, using forcefields as gates to allow your team to get in and out easy.
This isn't even counting the fact you could use the map editor to mirror the terrain over itself to make cave maps, or then turn them on their side and add floor to create weird rock wall valleys, or space maps by extending the spawn area insanely high up.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 14, 2019

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Did Romero's kickstarter say JOHN ROMERO IS GOING TO GIVE YOU HIS PITCH

because it should have done :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No but thankfully the opportunity for the joke did not go unnoticed back when he was heralding that game he made with his sons.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Convex posted:

Did Romero's kickstarter say JOHN ROMERO IS GOING TO GIVE YOU HIS PITCH

because it should have done :colbert:
IIRC one of the questions was "WILL YOU MAKE ME YOUR BITCH" and the answer was "how about I make you a game?"

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

catlord posted:

You know what? I would too, and I haven't gotten past the first few levels. I need to pick it back up at some point.

i'm sure its been said a million times but the jump in quality and fun from episode 1 to 2 is palpable.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=61689

Quake mod jam is out!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Oh boy this is promising

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:v:

Adbot