Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Do we ever

Funny how these people are never actually consistent with their, "no one should face any consequences, not even soft social ones like being ostracized, without a conviction," views

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Do we ever

To be fair, that dude very much got shouted down by half a dozen other people in that thread pretty much immediately.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

a computing pun posted:

I'm involved in an intensely unpleasant argument about Mike Mearls in which every attempt I make to ascribe any behaviour to Mearls-in-the-past is met with accusations of rumormongering and requests for proof.

For my benefit, and possibly the benefit of anyone else who is unlucky enough be involved in a similar argument, does anyone know of any public record or evidence as to Mearls having handed people's in-confidence criticism of Zak to Zak with names unredacted that I can use in this argument?

To my knowledge there's no "gotcha!" evidence on the matter e.g, a direct admission from Mearls or Zak, but is there at least anything circumstantial? A post from Mearls soliciting complaints about Zak or even just a testimonial from a victim or a third party from around the time? something that I can point to as proof that I'm not just making it up out of whole cloth

The closest I can find are the words of a former WotC employee who was part of their online support. Again not direct, but from someone who worked with the company at the time.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 14, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mkultra419 posted:

To be fair, that dude very much got shouted down by half a dozen other people in that thread pretty much immediately.

The OP qas also bad but less bad but yeah to be clear that dude is an outlier

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

a computing pun posted:

I'm involved in an intensely unpleasant argument about Mike Mearls in which every attempt I make to ascribe any behaviour to Mearls-in-the-past is met with accusations of rumormongering and requests for proof.

Also FYI

That's a form of the gish gallop where people will demand proof, dismiss said proof and demand more proof over and over. It's particularly beloved by the alt-right, MRA, gamergate types and, of course, by Zak.

It's okay to walk away when you know they're not actually interested in debating the point and are instead just making GBS threads all over the thread because the last thing they want is to actually discuss in a reasonable manner.

Somewhere like here, sure, you get to throw things and know other people will support you or reinforce/promote your arguments. rpg.net mostly, albeit their moderation can be all over the place at times. ENWorld - outright MRAs and 'i'm not racist but...' get to thrive, though their mods are doing better, but that's only x hours after, but out in the wild of twitter/reddit/wherever, then people get to run amok and it's just you and what you're prepared to deal with.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Do we ever
Everyone else in the thread is dunking on that guy, though. Like, he sucks and all, but he isn't exactly a representative sample.

e: app doesn't emphasize new page, grumble grumble

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

a computing pun posted:

For my benefit, and possibly the benefit of anyone else who is unlucky enough be involved in a similar argument, does anyone know of any public record or evidence as to Mearls having handed people's in-confidence criticism of Zak to Zak with names unredacted that I can use in this argument?

To my knowledge there's no "gotcha!" evidence on the matter e.g, a direct admission from Mearls or Zak, but is there at least anything circumstantial? A post from Mearls soliciting complaints about Zak or even just a testimonial from a victim or a third party from around the time? something that I can point to as proof that I'm not just making it up out of whole cloth

It's difficult for anything short of an actual investigation to provide you this kind of smoking gun proof, and someone demanding it is sort of proof of a bad faith argument but in addition to the stuff from Matthew Lee there's a screencap of Mearls defending Zak in July 2014, but the damning evidence is the swarm of people coming out to state in no uncertain terms that Mearls was presented with the evidence of Zak's harassment at the time and that he did turn that evidence over to Zak and you can just check Mearls' Twitter for the cavalcade of different people with no connection saying "no you're a loving liar, you loving liar"

But I have a feeling this person is just a chud and they're not asking you for proof, they're only interested in pointing out potential doubt in order to be a chud.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

Both really. Lock them for like a month and then reopen them with stated details on how much of a shitlord these people are. There’s no reason for our threads to cover for rapists and their enablers, even if the 5e players whine like crazy about it.

Just shut down the 5E and Pathfinder threads, replace them with a dedicated Zak Smith megathread, and anyone who still wants to talk about D&D in TYOOL 2019 can just leave to reddit or rpg.net or whatever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bedlamdan posted:

Just shut down the 5E and Pathfinder threads, replace them with a dedicated Zak Smith megathread, and anyone who still wants to talk about D&D in TYOOL 2019 can just leave to reddit or rpg.net or whatever.

No. Zak and D&D are separate things.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Mearls Defender Has Logged On

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Mearls Defender Has Logged On

I don't care about any of this, other than feeling sympathy for any victims of Zak.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't care about any of this, other than feeling sympathy for any victims of Zak.

So would you agree that all 5e books need to be edited to have Zak removed and that Mearls should be fired for using his position to enable a rapist's harassment campaigns and gaslighting?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Zak "D&D 5e Contributor and Rapist" Smith and Mike "Gave abuse victim details to Rapist and D&D5e Lead Developer" Mearls just to be clear on whose who.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Bedlamdan posted:

Not to side with MonsterEnvy, but the threads here are mostly good and I don't want to go to reddit.

Mearls should get ousted and Zak should be utterly disavowed and removed from the credits of the game. These things have been true for a while though.

Hey, are companies still paying shills to embed themselves in social networks and forums to sell games? I wonder if MonsterEnvy is one of those. That would explain a lot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

So would you agree that all 5e books need to be edited to have Zak removed and that Mearls should be fired for using his position to enable a rapist's harassment campaigns and gaslighting?

Sure remove him from the one book he was consulted and playtested. There is no hurry for it, he's not involved with D&D anymore and has not been for four years other than that minor role.

Still no proof of maliciousness from Mearls just incompetence. And due to having met the guy I would say incompetence. He he is not very involved in creating stuff for D&D right now and I don't really care if leaves or not.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Hey, are companies still paying shills to embed themselves in social networks and forums to sell games? I wonder if MonsterEnvy is one of those. That would explain a lot.

I have nothing to do with WotC or any other companies for that matter. I am a supremely unimportant young man who works at a convenience store. Also the sort of person who largely gives the benefit of the doubt.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 14, 2019

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
“Sympathy for all victims, just not enough to inconvenience my favorite toy in any way shape or form, also it did no wrong despite all evidence” is certainly a stance one could take, yeah.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sure remove him from the one book he was consulted and playtested. There is no hurry for it, he's not involved with D&D anymore and has not been for four years other than that minor role.

Still no proof of maliciousness from Mearls just incompetence. And due to having met the guy I would say incompetence. He he is not very involved in creating stuff for D&D right now and I don't really care if leaves or not.

I have nothing to do with WotC or any other companies for that matter. I am a supremely unimportant young man who works at a convenience store. Also the sort of person who largely gives the benefit of the doubt. I just like talking about what I enjoy.

The evidence overwhelmingly points to Zak and Mearls being dogshit. Mearls solicited emails about Zak and then forwarded them to him! gently caress him!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The evidence overwhelmingly points to Zak and Mearls being dogshit. Mearls solicited emails about Zak and then forwarded them to him! gently caress him!

Which from having met the guy and what else I know about him, leans towards him just being stupid about that encounter rather then malicious. It's still a showing of gross incompetence however and is enough in my book to warrant losing his position.

Mr. Maltose posted:

“Sympathy for all victims, just not enough to inconvenience my favorite toy in any way shape or form, also it did no wrong despite all evidence” is certainly a stance one could take, yeah.

What does this even mean. The two things are not related.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Who cares that Zak didn't literally write the book. His name is on the page because Mike Mearls specifically benefited from Zak's contacts with the OSR community in the development and pre-release hype cycle of 5e and Mike wanted to reward him for being the ambassador to the crowd of people that had sworn off WotC/D&D and that Mike wanted to bring back into the fold.

Saying that Zak was unimportant to the release of D&D5 is disingenuous as gently caress.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tendales posted:

Who cares that Zak didn't literally write the book. His name is on the page because Mike Mearls specifically benefited from Zak's contacts with the OSR community in the development and pre-release hype cycle of 5e and Mike wanted to reward him for being the ambassador to the crowd of people that had sworn off WotC/D&D and that Mike wanted to bring back into the fold.

Saying that Zak was unimportant to the release of D&D5 is disingenuous as gently caress.

OK. I don't know enough about Zak or the OSR community to add anything else. Well other then that Zak is a shitbag.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don’t they print that contributor notice in every book? Even if it is “just” the PHB, that’s the flagship product. And no Mearls gave Zak legitimacy and covered for him repeatedly. He is absolutely a supporter, not just an idiot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Don’t they print that contributor notice in every book? Even if it is “just” the PHB, that’s the flagship product. And no Mearls gave Zak legitimacy and covered for him repeatedly. He is absolutely a supporter, not just an idiot.

Just checked only in the PHB. And I am fine with him being stricken from the book. Just as I am fine with Mearls losing his position.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arivia posted:

Don’t they print that contributor notice in every book?

No. Just the PHB, as far as I've seen. It's not in the DMG or MM.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just checked only in the PHB. And I am fine with him being stricken from the book. Just as I am fine with Mearls losing his position.

That’s the one sane thing you’ve ever said on this and related subjects. Good on you. Now to give you some honest advice, everyone’s blood is running real hot on this right now. Defending yourself in here is just going to make it worse. Best thing you can do is take a break and not post and let people get all this out.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016
Meanwhile, White Wolf quietly deleted their blog post defending Zak...

https://twitter.com/a_man_in_black/status/832716111044972545

But SomethingAwful remembers...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thanks for falling for bedlamdan's obvious bait post, then running in here to cry and pearl-clutch about the honor of 5e D&D, you walnut-brained buffoon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thanks for falling for bedlamdan's obvious bait post, then running in here to cry and pearl-clutch about the honor of 5e D&D, you walnut-brained buffoon.

Yeah you are pretty accurate, I don't have anything else to add.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

did you know that when you have nothing to contribute, you can stop posting

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I love how even when the guy is 100% on board and agreeing with you guys, you still find reasons to bully and push him around. You're all pathetic.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I am really curious how, "He was just an enormous idiot, really one of the biggest," is like.... a defense of Mearls' handing over information to Zak

It's okay if he did something utterly detestable through sheer, massive incompetence rather than malice?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Lost_Heretic posted:

Was that post back a few months ago during the nuWW debacle or further back?

Edit: Reading would help. Two years ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darwinism posted:

I am really curious how, "He was just an enormous idiot, really one of the biggest," is like.... a defense of Mearls' handing over information to Zak

It's okay if he did something utterly detestable through sheer, massive incompetence rather than malice?

I mean the man did make 5e, he could theoretically have been that loving stupid. But no it’s like Trump, there’s malice too.

@Arthil: When something like this is finally resolved, there’s a whole lot of scores that need settling. A lot of people that have accounts payable for the poo poo they’ve done. MonsterEnvy is one of them. He’s paid his now, he can go.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah you are pretty accurate, I don't have anything else to add.

Hey, you know it's fine. There really should be a warning label on that guy. Give me a sec to fix that...

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Arivia posted:

I mean the man did make 5e, he could theoretically have been that loving stupid. But no it’s like Trump, there’s malice too.

@Arthil: When something like this is finally resolved, there’s a whole lot of scores that need settling. A lot of people that have accounts payable for the poo poo they’ve done. MonsterEnvy is one of them. He’s paid his now, he can go.

Arivia I actually have a lot of respect for you because you've not been lashing out at him. It's others that comment was aimed at, mostly.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Hey, you know it's fine. There really should be a warning label on that guy. Give me a sec to fix that...

I'm oddly excited to see this.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

Maybe wait to see if he gets banned first

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you don't get to spend years caping for Mearls and Zak, up to and including threatening to approach Mearls with allegations of Zak's harassment a second time, just to make sure, and expect that things will be hunky dory with a "oh Zak is bad now"

especially when this admission is still doing a shuck and jive downplaying Zak's involvement with the game

There's got to be a reckoning

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

I love how even when the guy is 100% on board and agreeing with you guys, you still find reasons to bully and push him around. You're all pathetic.

Monsterenvy threatened to go to Mearls "just to confirm" this exact stuff, to "get both sides of the story" and "avoid the bias of one side". He has repeatedly cried when the topic comes up because having to even think about it spoils his elfgames. The closest he's come to apologising for any of this poo poo was today, when it turns out his is "fine with" mearls losing his position. That's not "being 100% on board", it's not even meeting the bare minimum for his past behavior on this subject.

Start here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647634&userid=183977&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post471891975

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 14, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lost_Heretic posted:

Archive.org ALSO remembers.
https://web.archive.org/web/20180219064531/https://blog.white-wolf.com/2017/02/17/a-howl-for-our-bloody-writer-artists/

quote:

Regarding the recent accusations made against our freelancers: White Wolf was aware of and investigated the previous accusations against Zak before contracting him to write and illustrate the game script. Fortunately, these accusations all pertained to alleged online behavior: each accusation is connected to an online discussion, and the digital records of these discussions can be located and reviewed. White Wolf’s investigation concluded that the accusations are false, and that Zak did not engage in the alleged behavior. We have full faith in Zak and Sarah and are excited to see their great work with the World of Darkness spread!
https://web.archive.org/web/20180219064535/https://blog.white-wolf.com/2017/02/22/breathing-the-same-shadow/

quote:

First, we recognize that we need to clarify the wording of our blog post from last week. We realise now that it could be interpreted as a dismissal of people’s experiences, and that was never our intention. Nor did we intend to imply that we think anyone was being actively dishonest, and we are very sorry if that’s how it seemed. We understand how hurtful that could seem, and we regret it.

Naturally we are aware that Zak Sabbath is a controversial figure. Before deciding to work with Sarah Horrocks and Zak Sabbath on We Eat Blood, we read as deeply as we could about the historical conflicts around him. These issues seemed to be several years old, were debated exhaustively online, and were very complex.

Our reading and the conversations we had with people in the industry who have interacted with him in the past did not unearth any new or factual evidence in regards to the more serious allegations periodically made against him. It is however clear that Zak Sabbath is often abrasive, and sometimes his behavior has been perceived as hurtful or offensive. Going forward, we expect him not to engage in any such behaviors, and he has agreed.
Bad form, paradox.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arthil posted:

I'm oddly excited to see this.

Elephant Parade posted:

Maybe wait to see if he gets banned first

Haha the forums went down for a right as it was processing, so I guess I'll bug someone if it doesn't show up tomorrow.

And since this forum is filthy with sin, as bedlamdan loves to remind us, I've also sent some money to RAINN as penance:

I'll be sure to grab a print copy of Thou Art But a Warrior and check out Olivia Hill's iHunt stuff tomorrow, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
There seems to be some misconception that this is a time of amnesty for Zak's defenders. I don't know why people think that a half-assed apology after literally years of backing abusers and harassers and thus facilitating the harassment of even more people is going to get them any kind of slack.