Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

By the time you get Vance's gun it's only good for bringing it back to Primm for some XP or for hanging in your modded house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it is good at getting rid of all your surplus 9mm ammo, if the targets aren't armored.

It's not very good.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It might be more fun to dismantle every 9mm bullet for .357 materials and feed those to a K9000 robodog minigun.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, Ratslayer was pretty useful for a while after I picked it up as a sniping option.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

I wonder if the Tesla-Beaton is named for Kate Beaton.

fake edit: wiki sez yes, though it's not properly cited.

also

:perfect:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
All insects are puny insects before Sun.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

By popular demand posted:

It might be more fun to dismantle every 9mm bullet for .357 materials and feed those to a K9000 robodog minigun.

I'm sorry, you seem to have spelt "Lucky" incorrectly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even if you could mine gold or rubies, is there anything around capable of refining them? Probably somewhere far back west.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

Even if you could mine gold or rubies, is there anything around capable of refining them? Probably somewhere far back west.

"Refining" varies, since gold has been "refined" since the bronze age. Setting up a smelter isn't that hard, and lord knows there's enough old world BS around that you could probably make one out of whatever the hell they used to make coffee back in the day. Overall, though, while those are valuable they're probably still not as valuable as tech. Also, not THAT hard to destroy (which was, I believe, part of why the BoS is persona non grata by the NCR so hard: they blew up all their gold!)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Off to a frolicking start!

Chapter 75: Sun Vulture and the Ellipses of Ulysses

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 10, 2019

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Please tell me Sun’s gonna take more shots at his self-idealizing monologues in the future. I think I speak for the thread in saying we could use more jabs at Ulysses’ grandiose dialogues in our semi-weekly update diets.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
My hatred for Ulysses is infinite, he's like everything bad about Obsidian writing and Avellone's schticks in particular rolled up into one tedious character.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I dislike. How. This guy. Speaks in fragments

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ApeHawk posted:

Chapter 74: Sun Vulture and the Site Seeing

Now I'm off to play a game where you stop an old guy from putting himself inside young teenagers for the next couple of days.

lol "trash" is a reference to a redheaded punk character of the same name from "return of the living dead", i never caught that when i played it. in the film she is turned into a sentient zombie after fantasizing about being devoured by them - fitting!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

DeathChicken posted:

I dislike. How. This guy. Speaks in fragments

I think it's meant to imply a tiredness, from the large amount of events he's seen over a fairly short time. Plus it can have the effect of making his cryptic references appear more important-sounding.

Bear, and the Bull. Bear, bull, bear, bull. Bull, bear. Bear, bear, bear. Bull... Bull. Here, in the Divide.

Trust this guy to meet up with the ThinkTank and some how come out all philosophical about it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

CoolCab posted:

lol "trash" is a reference to a redheaded punk character of the same name from "return of the living dead", i never caught that when i played it. in the film she is turned into a sentient zombie after fantasizing about being devoured by them - fitting!

Welp. That's on me! Edited the update to reflect this, thanks!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ApeHawk posted:

Welp. That's on me! Edited the update to reflect this, thanks!

I mean the film is far from a bastion of progressivism, I think the criticism is valid even if it’s a degree removed. good movie tho.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LashLightning posted:

I think it's meant to imply a tiredness, from the large amount of events he's seen over a fairly short time. Plus it can have the effect of making his cryptic references appear more important-sounding.

Bear, and the Bull. Bear, bull, bear, bull. Bull, bear. Bear, bear, bear. Bull... Bull. Here, in the Divide.

Trust this guy to meet up with the ThinkTank and some how come out all philosophical about it.

I know Ulysses is banging on about their symbols, but all I'm getting from this is a coked-out Wall Street trader.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Warmachine posted:

I know Ulysses is banging on about their symbols, but all I'm getting from this is a coked-out Wall Street trader.

In other words, Chris Avellone on RPGCodex.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

LashLightning posted:

"Think, and tank. Brains, in jars. Brains in Jars... Thinking about Tanks. Think. Think about the Brains."

I've only seen a little bit of the DLC, but I'm real glad there are dialogue options to tell him "can you gently caress off for maybe 12 seconds? I'm just the mailman, my dude"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

"Think, and tank. Brains, in jars. Brains in Jars... Thinking about Tanks. Think. Think about the Brains."

I've only seen a little bit of the DLC, but I'm real glad there are dialogue options to tell him "can you gently caress off for maybe 12 seconds? I'm just the mailman, my dude"

There's a certain charm to the player character canonically being a mailman. Like, you're a postal worker who got robbed and shot in the head (twice? I think Mitchell says bullets, plural). Instead of dying in a shallow grave outside Goodsprings, you walk across the rest of the incredibly hostile desert, track down your package, make sure it gets delivered, and then go on to upend the geopolitical landscape of the region.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The little psychic kid at 188 says two bullets as well. Which makes me realize Ulysses speaks in the same cadence as him, except it makes more sense when it's a confused child trying to read the future.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Benny took the care to double-tap and he still hosed it up.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

ApeHawk posted:

Off to a frolicking start!

Chapter 75: Sun Vulture and the Ellipses of Ulysses

Now I'm off to play a game where you stop an old guy from putting himself inside young teenagers for the next couple of days

Erm...what?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Heir03 posted:

Erm...what?

Kingdom hearts

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Warmachine posted:

There's a certain charm to the player character canonically being a mailman. Like, you're a postal worker who got robbed and shot in the head (twice? I think Mitchell says bullets, plural). Instead of dying in a shallow grave outside Goodsprings, you walk across the rest of the incredibly hostile desert, track down your package, make sure it gets delivered, and then go on to upend the geopolitical landscape of the region.

Neither rain, nor snow, nor heat, nor a double tap to the dome by some chucklefuck in a checkered suit, shall keep this courier from their appointed rounds

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Double post, but this was just uploaded to youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGlBwyXMlqI

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Double post, but this was just uploaded to youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGlBwyXMlqI

This is what Sun sees when she's on the peyote.

Update hopefully tonight/tomorrow morning!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Chapter 76: Sun Vulture and the Warhead Warriors

I've never actually tried those Warheads candy things. How are they? Not a sour candy kinda guy, honestly.

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 10, 2019

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Warheads are ok. I prefer Sour Patch Kids though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I totally remember nothing about this DLC despite having played it to completion. Beyond Mr 'eats gravel for breakfast' failing philosophy 101.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I remember what comes next, and it bloooooows.

Generally this DLC really suffers from "hmmm, we need the highest level enemies we can find! How do we make them really scary?" "We could just take normal enemies and give them tons of health and damage?" "Brilliant!"

Which contributes to making every fight take way too long while at the same time making it very easy for most characters to get one-shotted by some of the poo poo you'll be dealing with.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Eh, I prefer Sour Gummis if I want something sour, Warheads are a bit too much too quickly for me.

But yea, the next part seriously blows chunks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PurpleXVI posted:

I remember what comes next, and it bloooooows.

Generally this DLC really suffers from "hmmm, we need the highest level enemies we can find! How do we make them really scary?" "We could just take normal enemies and give them tons of health and damage?" "Brilliant!"

Which contributes to making every fight take way too long while at the same time making it very easy for most characters to get one-shotted by some of the poo poo you'll be dealing with.

I agree, but it's also true that the constriants of an RPG with a lot of different character builds makes good endgame enemy design really tough.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Sour Gummi Worms are great if you want a gummi with flavor. Sour Skittles are great if you want something with some bite.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I rolled a shotgun with a side of bombs for my first run, so the Red Glare was a real nice addition to the arsenal. Though, even with that, some of these upcoming sections kind of suck! Like, a lot.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I gotta say, Sun's casual cannibalism reminds me of a comedy run of FO4 I did with the wife.

Start to finish, the character was as offensive and darkly comical as possible. Male, Darkest black possible to contrast with the white combover, ALL the scars, Wild, Crazy Eyes, every possible deformity. His name was Ice Cream. And he liked to eat people. At every opportunity. In front of everyone. Also we had a mod running so the main weapon was a Chainsaw. So there was never not at least seven bodies worth of blood in sight at any point in time.

Unfortunately that save was lost in a HD crash but we have a screen cap somewhere. I miss that save. :(

At it's height I think Ice Cream had Hello Kitty themed pink T60. Possibly a chainaxe.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Spuzzz posted:

Sour Gummi Worms are great if you want a gummi with flavor. Sour Skittles are great if you want something with some bite.

I always found sour patch kids to be the right about of up front "kick" with that latter sweetness from the gummi.

Trolli Sour Brite gummi worms a good second place for me.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Time to meet the REAL pains in the rear end in this DLC.

Chapter 77: Sun Vulture and the Tunnel Vision

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I never did any of this DLC when I had the game way back when so getting to see it through Sun's eyes has been a treat.