Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dave Grool posted:

We also killed lots of black and irish people too, america is the land of diversity

While mowing down indigenous people that were living in the places they were trying to build the railroads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

Based on our history with native americans, we should have much, much better railroads then.

well, we did, back when loving with Native Americans was in it's heyday...

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Also, it's really hard to overstate just how technically complicated it is to build HSR in California.

First of all, California is huge. That Xian-Chengdu high speed link is about 400 miles long, the final California system will be about double.

On top of that, the entire length of the system between LA and SF is going to be elevated, significantly driving up construction time and cost.

Then you get to the multiple tunnels that would need to be blasted. This isn't a minor task; there's a reason this was never done before, even though the single-track tunnel has been a problem for the better part of a century. It took two years of blasting through solid granite and the eventual construction of 18 separate tunnels just to get that one track through. The overall length of that segment? Less than a mile. The future tunnels will be orders of magnitude more difficult to build.

There's a long list of further reasons, but suffice to say, building HSR in California is slow regardless of political/public motivation or lack thereof.

Why don't they just make it in the raised above the ocean along the coast? Hell put the drat thing underwater all the way from LA to SF. I'm sure this is completely feasible without any added difficulty :pseudo:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

luxury handset posted:

by the time a lot of this advertising was made, it was a reflection of public preference - whites-only automotive suburbanization started happening in many american cities as early as 1920. you can spot these areas in your own city by finding nicer houses that are far enough apart to park a car next to or drive a car behind the house, if not a full on integrated garage. here's an example from oakland, ca

and by the late 1910s sears was offering kit garages to go with their kit homes

Fair enough! I'm happy to learn something new. :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Why don't they just make it in the raised above the ocean along the coast? Hell put the drat thing underwater all the way from LA to SF. I'm sure this is completely feasible without any added difficulty :pseudo:

drat, didnt know the president of the united states posted here

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Also, it's really hard to overstate just how technically complicated it is to build HSR in California.

First of all, California is huge. That Xian-Chengdu high speed link is about 400 miles long, the final California system will be about double.

On top of that, the entire length of the system between LA and SF is going to be elevated, significantly driving up construction time and cost.

Then you get to the multiple tunnels that would need to be blasted. This isn't a minor task; there's a reason this was never done before, even though the single-track tunnel has been a problem for the better part of a century. It took two years of blasting through solid granite and the eventual construction of 18 separate tunnels just to get that one track through. The overall length of that segment? Less than a mile. The future tunnels will be orders of magnitude more difficult to build.

There's a long list of further reasons, but suffice to say, building HSR in California is slow regardless of political/public motivation or lack thereof.

Japan managed okay

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Everyone in here should tax themselves to be in this place for its 10 seconds (right-click, play):

https://i.imgur.com/JwjgNUV.mp4

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

drat, didnt know the Elon Musk posted here

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Also the freeways between SF and LA are the only ones that are reliably fast for cars.

We need public transportation in LA and SF, not between them.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 14, 2019

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mummy Xzibit posted:

The Xi'an-Chengdu HSR line I mentioned cost (roughly) $10 billion to construct. 80 of those 400 miles are through tunnels, most of them through the Qin mountans, several> 10km long and the longest 16-17km. 84% of that route is tunnels or bridges, through Actual Mountains. The project was approved in October 2010, construction began in November 2010, and the line was operational in December 2017

In comparison, the Pacheco Pass portion of CA HSR by itself is projected to cost more than 5 billion, and the tunnels for Pacheco and Tehachapi combined exceed the cost of the entire Xi'an-Chengdu line, despite being far simpler projects, through far less challenging terrain. Myself and other Californians voted for Prop 1A back in 2008, and 11 years later we have gently caress all to show for it.

Or, if you want another example, the Gotthard Base Tunnel--which goes through 36 miles of the loving Swiss Alps--also cost roughly 10 billion dollars. It did take 17 years to complete, but that's still better than anything we will pull off at this rate.

Yes, trains and tunnels and bridges are expensive, but no matter how you cut it we just plain fuckin' suck at this.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

mango sentinel posted:

Japan managed okay

Right, and they've been developing their system since the 60s. We started planning in 1998. No doubt we could have/should have done better as a country on rail. But that doesn't mean we're not working on it, at least in California. There is more public will and tax money committed to transit than any time in the state's history.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Morbus posted:

The Xi'an-Chengdu HSR line I mentioned cost (roughly) $10 billion to construct. 80 of those 400 miles are through tunnels, most of them through the Qin mountans, several> 10km long and the longest 16-17km. 84% of that route is tunnels or bridges, through Actual Mountains. The project was approved in October 2010, construction began in November 2010, and the line was operational in December 2017

I get that. But China is the kind of place where infrastructure mega-projects aren't subject to regulatory processes and are directly funded by the central government, as well as having unrestricted use of eminent domain.

Of course without those tools (or in Japan's case unrestricted use of interest-free construction loans and deferred repayment) it's going to take a lot longer, even if the desire is there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
White guy hates black man protesting police brutality so much that he boycotts nike and destroyed his business and livelihood.

I thought this might be a quick interesting read for all the people wonder how far and how self-damaging a lot of the white rage boycotts are. This guy was so mad about Kaepernick that he banned all Nike stuff from the sports store. So, no one shop there and now he has to shut down the store next month. He could have turned it back a long time ago and saved his entire livelihood. And he chose not to. He destroyed his entire livelihood out of hate. Ruminate on that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mango sentinel posted:

Japan managed okay

japan already had powerful nationalized rail companies with a solid revenue base from which to modernize extant right of way between major population centers that aren't very far apart, serving a population of people who are less likely to own cars. the conditions for rail are so ideal in japan that they pioneered the concept of high speed rail

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Covok posted:

White guy hates black man protesting police brutality so much that he boycotts nike and destroyed his business and livelihood.

I thought this might be a quick interesting read for all the people wonder how far and how self-damaging a lot of the white rage boycotts are. This guy was so mad about Kaepernick that he banned all Nike stuff from the sports store. So, no one shop there and now he has to shut down the store next month. He could have turned it back a long time ago and saved his entire livelihood. And he chose not to. He destroyed his entire livelihood out of hate. Ruminate on that.

What do you think the broader implications of this might be? (genuinely asking, not trying to imply anything)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bringing back the classics. I don't think I've ever seen anyone lie so badly outside of TV or Movies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Majorian posted:

What do you think the broader implications of this might be? (genuinely asking, not trying to imply anything)

I think it's just a general warning that you should be wary of your own emotions less they destroy you. There are good reasons to boycott things and sometimes it's worth being hurt to do the right thing. But hating people based on their skin color so much destroy your own business is a good example of what to avoid. Not to hold on to such toxic feelings that they destroy you. You guys know how I used to act. I think you know I can speak from experience. Sometimes it's better to let it go.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

After the success of the gay-hating baker, also in Colorado, I think we've got a few more of these cases to run through before an outcome can be decided.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

It's been at least 2 years since nepotism has been an issue with any traction in politics.

Which is probably good since the President's son in law is going to solve peace in the middle east, peace for all mankind and a simple answer for the traveling salesman problem.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

spunkshui posted:

Also the freeways between SF and LA are the only ones that are reliably fast for cars.

We need public transportation in LA and SF, not between them.

LA County passed a billion dollar a year tax for the next 40 years to fund expanding its public transportation, vastly increasing its rail coverage and adding way more bus routes. It won its ballot initiative 70%-30%

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 14, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/AyCeeAyBee/status/1095827203223371777

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Radish posted:

Also Tapper is like Chelsea and the rest of those people that suddenly realized that they were useful pawns for Trump to attack a minority woman and had to quickly explain why THEIR condemnation is super different to Trump's. If Trump hadn't jumped in Tapper wouldn't be doing this.

Also as Lightning Knight said he isn't backing off anything he's just saying Trump is as bad.

Hold on, if you look up other lyrics from that song and consider Netanyahu's first name and the reference to Israel I think you'll find that Colonel Mustard killed Mrs. Plumb in the....

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

EngineerJoe posted:

He could commit perjury

Not if there's chili involved... and there will be.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, completely managed economies with zero regard for private property or human rights sure can build a railroad.

:downswords:

Private property and personal wealth is so much more important than the good of society, thanks for pointing this out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Otteration posted:

Everyone in here should tax themselves to be in this place for its 10 seconds (right-click, play):

https://i.imgur.com/JwjgNUV.mp4

That cat is extremely unhappy.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Private property and personal wealth is so much more important than the good of society, thanks for pointing this out.

Yeah but IMO "the good of society" includes things like environmental impact reports, legal recourse against eminent domain/property forfeiture, and construction/operational safety standards, all of which greatly slow down projects not being built in GLORIOUS CHINA.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

RandomBlue posted:

That cat is extremely unhappy.

It looks pretty excited?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It's been pretty amazing watching all these Democrats be utterly baffled at the rightful outrage for bringing out a rightfully despised war criminal for an obvious repeat of the Cold War atrocities that everyone had almost forgotten.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I love it when this poo poo backfires on chuds. This is America telling you to go eat a poo poo sandwich

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Besesoth posted:

It's not an accident.

Remember Judge Doom's plan from Who Framed Roger Rabbit? "I bought the Red Line so I could dismantle it!" Aside from the cartoon characters, that literally happened so that Americans would drive their cars more instead of relying on public transportation.

Mass transit was also hampered by racism. There is also some city plannings that were structured around racism. It wasn't just profit and pushing automobiles it was about putting racism into our infrastructure, too.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China can build massive rail lines because they're not a failed state ran by the dumbest people in the world.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grape posted:

It looks pretty excited?

No, if you've ever owned a cat you'd recognize several warning signs like the twitching tail, the nervous looking around, the ear twitches and mouth licking. That cat is freaked out.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

China can build massive rail lines because they're not a failed state ran by the dumbest people in the world.

And yet Canada is the only G7 nation without HSR.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Outside the Windsor-Quebec City corridor, it ain't happening. Toronto-Montreal probably.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Yeah but IMO "the good of society" includes things like environmental impact reports, legal recourse against eminent domain/property forfeiture, and construction/operational safety standards, all of which greatly slow down projects not being built in GLORIOUS CHINA.

I was focusing on the private property aspect of his post, which indicated he valued private property ownership above the benefit of society. That's how we got billionaires and 26 people hoarding the same amount of wealth/resources as ~3.5 billion people combined.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 14, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

I was focusing on the private property aspect of his post, which indicated he valued private property ownership above the benefit of society. That's how we got billionaires and 26 people hoarding the same amount of wealth as ~3.5 billion people combined.

And I am focusing on the part of your post which indicates that you think worker safety legislation is standing in the way of public good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mummy Xzibit posted:

You dare besmirch the flawless service record of VIA Rail?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Arzachel posted:

And I am focusing on the part of your post which indicates that you think worker safety legislation is standing in the way of public good.

That doesn't exist.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

That doesn't exist.

There's no indication that the person you went off on values property ownership above the benefit of society either, yet here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

RandomBlue posted:

I was focusing on the private property aspect of his post, which indicated he valued private property ownership above the benefit of society. That's how we got billionaires and 26 people hoarding the same amount of wealth/resources as ~3.5 billion people combined.

historically the use of eminent domain for major infrastructure project has dispossessed the poor and destroyed their neighborhoods though?

like, usually the planning agencies aren't looking to secure the most expensive land popular, they're specifically looking for areas they think will be the easiest to buy out and where holdouts are too powerless to put up significant fights. eminent domain is on some very tenuous grounds historically to be lauded as a tool of social justice