Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ferguson was good in the last two MIs but I wish they had brought Paula Patton back. She was bad rear end in Ghost Protocol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

sebmojo posted:

Edgy pick: Kevin spacey as piter

From up the thread a bit but I'd like to submit Ben Foster. He was really great in 3:10 to Yuma (the newer one) as Wade's sadistic right hand. He was also the sniveling sychophant of the vampires in 30 Days of Night. And he was the more unhinged of the brothers in Hell or High Water, alongside Chris Pine.

I think he'd be a good twisted mentat.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 14, 2019

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ColTim posted:

The biggest challenge I see with a film adaption is how to convey prescience/potential futures. It’s tough to present something that is obviously not in the present, but also not just some trite flash-forward or repeated vision of something important.

I’m not sure there’s any film that’s pulled it off, even in something like Run Lola Run (where I’d say it works because of the film’s structure). And how to convey it to the audience! Besides some abstract end-of-2001-a-space-odyssey I have no idea what’d work. Excited to see what they come up with though!

I would like to see it done structurally like experimental films do, but I imagine it visually. As in, the screen (or a viewpoint held by a character) being divided on from the world like a shimmering dreamlike *thing* that changes with the narration. It might look like a fractal pattern splitting up into different results, going farther and farther as the vision is pursued.

This will probably be one of the hardest things to do in the film. You can practically feel the headaches of people putting those scenes together in the Lynch version, but it ended up working - sort of.

e. They'll also have a problem with foreshadowing, since so much of that was contained in the frayed visions of the prescient.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

phasmid posted:

I would like to see it done structurally like experimental films do, but I imagine it visually. As in, the screen (or a viewpoint held by a character) being divided on from the world like a shimmering dreamlike *thing* that changes with the narration. It might look like a fractal pattern splitting up into different results, going farther and farther as the vision is pursued.

This will probably be one of the hardest things to do in the film. You can practically feel the headaches of people putting those scenes together in the Lynch version, but it ended up working - sort of.

e. They'll also have a problem with foreshadowing, since so much of that was contained in the frayed visions of the prescient.

I feel that there's a Peter Greenaway film that does something like that, but buggered if I can think which one. He definitely has experimented with layered images in his more recent films.

Man, Peter Greenaway's Dune told solely through a long series of multilayered prescient visions of Paul, guild navigators and Bene Gesserit RMs would be both amazing and incredibly tedious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One advantage of having all these franchise films and MCU is that audiences and producers are actually more used to serialised films, it shouldn't be hard to get people to come back to Dune II: The Dunening or whatever.

If it takes off, I can't wait to see all the terrible political allegories on twitter.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elissimpark posted:

I feel that there's a Peter Greenaway film that does something like that, but buggered if I can think which one. He definitely has experimented with layered images in his more recent films.

Man, Peter Greenaway's Dune told solely through a long series of multilayered prescient visions of Paul, guild navigators and Bene Gesserit RMs would be both amazing and incredibly tedious.

The tempest one he did?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I looked up Greenaway on IMDB and apparently I haven't seen anything by this man? I need to remedy that.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If it takes off, I can't wait to see all the terrible political allegories on twitter.

Trying my best to shove it into the back of my mind.

Goddrat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

phasmid posted:

I looked up Greenaway on IMDB and apparently I haven't seen anything by this man? I need to remedy that.

Trying my best to shove it into the back of my mind.

Goddrat.

Watch Drowning By Numbers, The Pillow Book, and most importantly The Cook, The Thief...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

we need serkis as a facedancer

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Paul Dano as Yueh

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Jake Gyllenhaal as Duncan Idaho

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

DebonaireD posted:

Roles still in the air, the major ones as I see them -

Feyd Rautha Harkonnen - Justin Bieber
Emperor Shaddam IV - Robert De Niro
Liet Kynes - Russell Crowe
Alia - role given as a prize to winner of Miss Alabama under 5's beauty pageant
Princess Irulan - Melissa McCarthy
Thufir Hawat - The "Bazinga" guy
Duncan Idaho - The Rock
Dr.Wellington Yueh - Quentin Tarantino
Piter deVries - CGI Tarkin from Rogue One

Place your bets, people. Sky's the limit, it seems.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

sebmojo posted:

The tempest one he did?

Not Prospero's Books, though I was amused by the thought of John Geilgud doing all the parts of Dune.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Watch Drowning By Numbers, The Pillow Book, and most importantly The Cook, The Thief...

The Pillow Book is pretty accessible and has Ewan McGregor (and his penis) in it.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Tace Vim posted:

That's inspired holy gently caress

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

The Pillow Book is pretty accessible and has Ewan McGregor (and his penis) in it.

The Pillow Book is my favorite of his; I love Vivian Wu and the movie is peak penis

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
I still say Duncan Idaho via Nicholas Cage

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The Pillow Book is my favorite of his; I love Vivian Wu and the movie is peak penis

I first saw it in the cinema, so it was like the start of 2001: a Space Odyssey, but Ewan McGregor's penis rather than the monolith.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Forest Whitaker as Thufir

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Mahershala Ali as Idaho imo

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Will they be able to #resist putting yellow hair and a bad tan on the Baron, or maybe on Rabban? Lotta competent choices so far but it’s still Hollywood.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

definitely rabban

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

I still say Duncan Idaho via Nicholas Cage

Cage as Yueh.

:manning: Must.
:manning: Break.
:jiggled: CONDITIONING!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
We've got Morgan Freeman down to play Paul Atreides. Mark Wahlberg will play Leto II. Lucy Liu has agreed to play the Baron Harkonnen and Brian Blessed is set to play Shadout Mapes. The rest of the cast will be played by nameless extras. Branagh's directing, the entire set will be a plain stage and the entire cast will wear all black turtlenecks.

Themes will be explored.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pham Nuwen posted:

Will they be able to #resist putting yellow hair and a bad tan on the Baron, or maybe on Rabban? Lotta competent choices so far but it’s still Hollywood.

how about a soccer undercut for the baron :chloe:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lima posted:

Cage as Yueh.

:manning: Must.
:manning: Break.
:jiggled: CONDITIONING!
Hahahaha yes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lima posted:

Cage as Yueh.

Keep your gad drat hands off my wife!

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009
Harry Styles as Feyd Rautha.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
https://twitter.com/CMccafe/status/1095793500602466304

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pham Nuwen posted:

hawowanlawow posted:

definitely rabban

lovely feyd

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i do hope this turns into a big franchise so we can see the space-ISIS jihad nuke a million worlds as toto blares in the background

hmm... this representation is somewhat problematic

:munch: "nah relax the empire deserves it"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

@CMccafe's avatar or whatever is loving perfect there

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i do hope this turns into a big franchise so we can see the space-ISIS jihad nuke a million worlds as toto blares in the background

hmm... this representation is somewhat problematic

:munch: "nah relax the empire deserves it"

Space ISIS led by a white savior

This wont be problematic at all

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just finished God Emperor, and y'all really had me expecting more sex weirdness

it was good, but I don't think I have it in me to start an unfinished trilogy set another 1500 years later

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sex weird starts in heretics

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

hawowanlawow posted:

just finished God Emperor, and y'all really had me expecting more sex weirdness

it was good, but I don't think I have it in me to start an unfinished trilogy set another 1500 years later

I dunno man Duncan Idaho giving a woman an orgasm by climbing a wall was pretty lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Farrier Theaks posted:

I dunno man Duncan Idaho giving a woman an orgasm by climbing a wall was pretty lol

yea but that's the only one and the vivid description of her getting lasered into pieces made up for it

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

hawowanlawow posted:

yea but that's the only one and the vivid description of her getting lasered into pieces made up for it

That part cracked me up.

"Nooooo, you killed my clone waifu, you bitch!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tace Vim posted:

AAAHHHH

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jason-momoa-dune-reboot-legendary-1203140272/

edit:

quote:

Momoa will portray Duncan Idaho, a swordmaster in the house of Atreides who is the right-hand man to Chalamet’s father, played by Isaac.

Finally get our chance to resurrect Drogo...thousands of times.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 15, 2019

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

AAAHHHH

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jason-momoa-dune-reboot-legendary-1203140272/

edit:

Finally get our chance to resurrect Drogo...thousands of times.

No please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think that was my favourite unexpected death in that series. Just, you know. Died.