Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm the dinosaur still hoping season 2 gets a bluray release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm the dinosaur still hoping season 2 gets a bluray release.

What's the opposite of account sharing?

(The first season came out just before the second season aired on TV, so maybe before the summer?)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
With it being confirmed that season 3 is the end, I say just hold out for the complete series

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Looks like we're meeting Xavier this season
https://twitter.com/LegionFX/status/1092577525727846400?s=19

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I thought Patrick Stewart was down for some Legions?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Based on the casting they probably don't want a 78 year old playing a young Xavier.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

oooh Harry Lloyd is some good casting. I don't think Prof X is gonna be a good guy here....

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Stephanie Corneliussen too. Hope she gets to be half as offputting as she was on Mr. Robot

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Shageletic posted:

oooh Harry Lloyd is some good casting. I don't think Prof X is gonna be a good guy here....

I good excuse to mention that Counterpoint is a really good show and he is good in it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Harry Lloyd owns in everything, this is awesome.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Happy about Harry Lloyd, but it's still criminal if they don't find a way to squeeze in a sirpatstew cameo. I mean, put him in literally any of the infinite number of trippy flashback/forward transition scenes that are likely to be in this season, mix in his voice on top of Lloyd's at some point...whatever. I bet he'd be game for even the smallest of easter eggs and fans, myself included, eat that poo poo up.

Unless it's a licensing thing, in which case :effort:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Idk I think it'd be kinda weird having Patrick Stewart in Legion when the show is separate to and has no continuity with the xmen movies

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I want, no, I demand a confusing dance number with Patrick Stewart. He doesn't have to be Xavier or anything, I just want a dance number with him.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

I want, no, I demand a confusing dance number with Patrick Stewart. He doesn't have to be Xavier or anything, I just want a dance number with him.

You just know he'd be down for it, too.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Can Ian McKellen come, too? They'd probably already be hanging out.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Can Ian McKellen come, too? They'd probably already be hanging out.

that would be so cute, just let these old fuckers have some fun

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I honestly don't understand what about this season makes people not want to watch a season 3.

It does something very tricky right now in the culture. It doesn’t just make David a bad guy, it makes him a rapist. And right now, at least in Twitter verse and pop culture, that’s worse than murderer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do you want to rephrase or elaborate because right now it reads to me like you've got a real hot take coming about rape

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

flatluigi posted:

do you want to rephrase or elaborate because right now it reads to me like you've got a real hot take coming about rape

I in no way have any hot takes about rape. It’s terrible. But I’m saying having. David rape somebody in the final (and he did) makes it so it’s very hard to... root for him? I looked on twitter and a lot of people who loved the show were so turned off by that turn (as were people in this thread) they don’t want to watch anymore. Personally, I’m totally in to watch the last season, but I’m conflicted. It’s still a male creator using rape as a crutch to help flip a character to “bad”. Which, if it was anyone else I’d call it lazy.

So I’m frustrated it happened but also see where it fits with David as a character.

I think my conflict is that I think his turn needed to happen more over the course of the season. It was a little too fast last three episodes.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Someone remind me and I sure could be wrong but he only removed her memory of one sequence of events to make her forget that he was a bad guy. (That is sorta also not really confirmed that he is)

It’s only implied that he made her love her from the start right?

It’s still mindrape.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

He might not have physically forced himself on her, but he did use mind powers to make her forget she didn't want to have sex with him. (Regardless of whether he made Sid love him in the first place or not.) As Sid herself puts it, he effectively drugged her and had sex with her, which is rape by any reasonable definition. I think from David's point of view he was just "fixing" Farouk's fuckery and he didn't realise that what he was doing was wrong, not that that makes it okay.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
No I agree my big question was “did he make her fall in love with him to start with?”

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Oh okay that first sentence sounded like "oh it wasn't rape he just made her forget he's a bad guy", sorry if I misread it

Yeah I think that's just implied. Although it seems David is powerful enough and messed up enough that he might have done it subconsciously. I dunno if he's a "bad guy" as in like a villain at all, just a very messed up guy who means well but doesn't understand what's right and wrong sometimes and has unintentionally done a very bad thing. Which, while not at all justified, is somewhat understandable given his history of playing host to a psychic parasite for most of his life and also dealing with basically being a god and being feared/marginalised for it while just wanting a normal life.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 14, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Affi posted:

No I agree my big question was “did he make her fall in love with him to start with?”

The dance sequences are how the show dramatises psychic powers, yeah? Like Oliver vs David, or the sing off in the finale, or even the Bolero sequence.

So I think the Bollywood number in the pilot might have been David doing something to Syd.

(They still haven't explained the floating feet either.)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I always figured the Bollywood number was Syd et al trying to track down and connect with David, to find out where he was. Syd is the one dancing initially and it takes a little time for David to join in, which I assumed to mean she was looking for him and he finally grabbed on to whatever psychic connection was being made.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Rape chat aside... (and I will watch Season 3) What made me sour on Season 2 was how it sort of lost it's way and became LESS a really amazing show with weird poo poo going on, and more of a "montages of really weird poo poo going on, meandering in and out of nowhere, really." I mean there were moments that literally looked like one of those black and white perfume commercials where something really weird and abstract happens and then someone is whispering in a horse's ear, dramatically "Dioooorrrrrrrr".

LIke, I liked elements of what I saw. Moments. Parts. But as a story it felt like the tour bus was stuck in the mud while everyone on it was exposed to acid. Just a stuck-rear end mind trip with no real forward momentum.

Wafflecopper posted:

I dunno if he's a "bad guy" as in like a villain at all, just a very messed up guy who means well but doesn't understand what's right and wrong sometimes and has unintentionally done a very bad thing. Which, while not at all justified, is somewhat understandable given his history of playing host to a psychic parasite for most of his life and also dealing with basically being a god and being feared/marginalised for it while just wanting a normal life.

I'm perhaps hazy on the details at this point, but it struck me that the scenes where he was exacting revenge/torture on whatshisface near the end (with no Farouk inside him to be the scapegoat) showed him enjoying it a little too much, leading me to think he was either fundamentally malicious/evil at his core, or at the very least, a part of him was.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 14, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Affi posted:

This is implied but heavily up in the air and will be a large part of season 3 I think. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true, either, given how extremely superficial their whole love story has been portrayed and how easily Syd went along with everything. Maybe she was actually as done with everything and willing to go along with whatever as she seemed, but everything we know of her life now reflects someone who really might not have been as willing to jump into a relationship with someone as she was in the pilot

regulargonzalez posted:

I always figured the Bollywood number was Syd et al trying to track down and connect with David, to find out where he was. Syd is the one dancing initially and it takes a little time for David to join in, which I assumed to mean she was looking for him and he finally grabbed on to whatever psychic connection was being made.

I actually whiffed on this super hard on my watchthrough but Syd was not part of the supersquad at the beginning of the show and was picked up by them by accident when they meant to pick up David. I had it in my head that she was a plant by the squad to seek out David, which wasn't true (and I think is what you also misinterpreted)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he totally did mind gently caress her. they meet for the very first time in their lives, he asks her to be his girlfriend right then and there, this woman who has very big issues with intimacy and being touched, and she says yes. that is not a thing that happens.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

he totally did mind gently caress her. they meet for the very first time in their lives, he asks her to be his girlfriend right then and there, this woman who has very big issues with intimacy and being touched, and she says yes. that is not a thing that happens.

And she's suddenly an X-man too.

I appreciate that the show is probably taking a bunch of the unbelievable material from early season one and justifying those choices. I just wish they'd have done that back in season one, as it's a big part of why I bounced off the show.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
My memory about S1E1 is super hazy, but...wasn't Syd intentionally planted in the asylum to recruit David to the mutant crew? I always assumed that was the reason why she went along with the girlfriend thing so willingly.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Vernacular posted:

My memory about S1E1 is super hazy, but...wasn't Syd intentionally planted in the asylum to recruit David to the mutant crew? I always assumed that was the reason why she went along with the girlfriend thing so willingly.
You're definitely completely misremembering things there.

Feenix posted:

What made me sour on Season 2 was how it sort of lost it's way and became LESS a really amazing show with weird poo poo going on, and more of a "montages of really weird poo poo going on, meandering in and out of nowhere, really."
This was also my quibble with season 2. The weird poo poo going on in season one was much more seamlessly incorporated and added character to the world. Season 2's weird poo poo tended more toward the unexplained non-sequitur.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Fwiw the scene showing them fall in love Syd is shown dancing...

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Vernacular posted:

I remember getting that impression too, but I think it was just because she was with the group that broke David out at the end and she seemed like an established member of the group, when she had actually only recently been brought into the fold.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

This was also my quibble with season 2. The weird poo poo going on in season one was much more seamlessly incorporated and added character to the world. Season 2's weird poo poo tended more toward the unexplained non-sequitur.

Agreed. Season 1 was amazing, and the weird stuff seemed to make more sense. Season 2 seems more like the weird stuff is more for the director to have fun than for the viewer to have fun.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

flatluigi posted:

I actually whiffed on this super hard on my watchthrough but Syd was not part of the supersquad at the beginning of the show and was picked up by them by accident when they meant to pick up David. I had it in my head that she was a plant by the squad to seek out David, which wasn't true (and I think is what you also misinterpreted)

That's true but she was with the group at the time of that scene and I think she was assisting them to find David, with the help of Ptolomy.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I liked all the John Hamm parts in season 2

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Season 2 is thematically consistent and one of the few examples of television as "Art" that I can think of. It's a deep exploration into David's warped view of reality and his power over it. A more straightforward plot would be a disservice.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The David is a rapist plot point clashes hard with the episode where we spend meandering in She's memories for showing she's an unrepentant rapist herself that claims that these scars build character while people around her go to prison for her manipulations but in no way judges her. It's blatantly hypocritical but more so the show has become everyone are unlikable douche bags except Cary and Kerry.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You apologize to Jemaine Clement right loving now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Lid posted:

The David is a rapist plot point clashes hard with the episode where we spend meandering in She's memories for showing she's an unrepentant rapist herself that claims that these scars build character while people around her go to prison for her manipulations but in no way judges her. It's blatantly hypocritical but more so the show has become everyone are unlikable douche bags except Cary and Kerry.

Uh, who is a hypocrite?