Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

Co-worker just lost his dad, had Alzheimer's really, really bad last few years of his life. Terrible way to go and I think it was a relief to his entire family although I think he was the only family member that spent any time with him. It would suck seeing your strong, powerful dad reduced to a weak, feeble man that has no loving clue who you are or what he is doing there. That's pretty much my nightmare scenario, with only a locked in scenario probably being worse.

My grand parents went the same way. Strong and hard as gently caress, then they just wasted away. I hated seeing that poo poo. Currently have an aunt with Alzheimers, its not fun watching her deteriorate. gently caress, getting old sucks. Sometimes it seems like even if you take care of yourself, it doesn't necessarily help.

Also, what the poo poo is Locked In Syndrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Also, what the poo poo is Locked In Syndrome?

Basicly, you lose the ability to move anything in your body but your mind remains intact.
You get to go insane, locked in a body that slowly wastes away.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Double cross posting this, just to break up the horribly depressing turn this thread has taken.

Can anyone explain what the hell happened? (also, I'm guessing '68 dart?)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://artofgears.com/2015/05/25/classic-dodge-dart-loses-rear-axle-showing-off/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Vanagoon posted:

My earnest hope is that if I end up disabled like that with Alzheimers or locked in syndrome or anything like that, that someone has the decency to come along and load me up with some huge dose of fentanyl and send me off in a beautiful dream.

Or smother me with a pillow or something. Please.

My dad used to make the comment after seeing the last couple of years of his mother's life being destroyed by dementia "I will keep a jar of pills by my bedside. If (one day) I can't remember what the pills are, feed me the bottle"

Of course he now lives in a nursing home with full on Alzheimer's Dementia and doesn't know who the hell I am.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Just FYI, some pretty groundbreaking new research (as in, the studies were published in Science this month) seem to confirm that Alzheimer's disease is caused by the bacteria that cause gingivitis getting up into your brain.

Remember to floss

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry about your pops.

Thanks, man. There's not really a good way to go, but going from still working and seeing patients to a brief hospitalization to home hospice care to dying pain-free and surrounded by your family a month to the day later is a drat sight better than a lot of others.

Sagebrush posted:

Just FYI, some pretty groundbreaking new research (as in, the studies were published in Science this month) seem to confirm that Alzheimer's disease is caused by the bacteria that cause gingivitis getting up into your brain.

Yeah, this is potentially huge. All the drugs they trialed that were supposed to work by inhibiting amyloid plaque buildup completely failed to work, and now it's looking like those are a defensive reaction to the bacterial contamination, not a cause. It's too early to say definitively that the bacteria cause Alzheimer's, but there's definitely a link.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 14, 2019

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I thought the amyloid plague buildup wasn't a defense reaction, it is a mis-folded protein and is structured in such a way that the normal cellular mechanisms which remove unneeded proteins can't take it back apart. It also has the property that it clumps together. I may be mixing that up with BSE though, or both have the same root cause.

Definitely great news that a breakthrough has been made.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Also, this research is making people take a long hard look at arterial plaque, where it has been noticed before that those same gingivitis-causing bacteria are always found, but everyone until now just kind of shrugged.

If it turns out that not flossing gives you both Alzheimer's disease and heart disease, the dentists are never going to shut up about it

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Sagebrush posted:

Also, this research is making people take a long hard look at arterial plaque, where it has been noticed before that those same gingivitis-causing bacteria are always found, but everyone until now just kind of shrugged.

If it turns out that not flossing gives you both Alzheimer's disease and heart disease, the dentists are never going to shut up about it

See?! We've always been just as important as those other "doctors"!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just think of all the crowing that Listerine is gonna put us through.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

xzzy posted:

That stuff used to be floor polish. They can gloat all they want to

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sagebrush posted:

And per usual, causation doesn't equal correlation.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

xzzy posted:

Well they used to crow about cleaning vaginas with it...so

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

xzzy posted:

If it’s not burning my tastebuds off I’m not interested

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Goober Peas posted:

Well they used to crow about cleaning vaginas with it...so

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If it’s not burning my tastebuds off I’m not interested

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Colostomy Bag posted:

And per usual, causation doesn't equal correlation.

There's emerging evidence of causation.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

AFewBricksShy posted:

Double cross posting this, just to break up the horribly depressing turn this thread has taken.

Can anyone explain what the hell happened? (also, I'm guessing '68 dart?)

That is a '68 Dart GT, probably a 340 cranking a 4-speed. He accelerated hard in 2nd, then came off the gas & was basically engine braking, which makes a hell of a (desireable) racket.

Unfortunately, with all of the money spent on motive power, oversized wheels, and tires, he failed to install traction bars (Mopar rears are leaf-sprung), and the resulting unchecked wheel-hop presented an interesting lesson in physics.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Door Frame posted:

That stuff used to be floor polish. They can gloat all they want to

It still is, but it used to be too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:v: just realized I got it backwards...what a day yesterday. lol

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Also the aussies are working on a vaccine against gingivitis

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jusupov posted:

Also the aussies are working on a vaccine against gingivitis

Makes sense. They focus on tooth decay versus every other loving thing close by that will kill you instantly.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BloodBag posted:

It still is, but it used to be too.

Mitch Hedberg school of Chemistry and floor cleaning

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Lysol != Listerine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

glyph posted:

Lysol != Listerine.

Is that what the hell is going?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Geoj posted:

Having witnessed my great-uncle (grandmother's sister's husband) spend the better part of 10 years with increasingly severe Parkinson's symptoms, I think I'd rather blow my brains out while I'm still able to than let it run its course.

My better halfs maternal grandfather is suffering from Parkinsons- He worked out at the Maralinga sites during the UK nuclear testing here in Australia. Every single one of his friends from work have died either from cancer or parkinsons. Cruelest twist of the knife is before he retired he worked in the VA department assisting veterans with parkinsons.

He's now at the stage he cant walk, cant stand, struggles to eat and is starting to get the dementia. He's absolutely miserable, hates being alive and we hate keeping him alive.

We took my 18yr old dog for one last walk in the paddock with the .22 when he was suffering too much to let him go on, but we cant send grandpa on his way when hes still able to say goodby and has some dignity left because "Thats cruel and playing god". gently caress the hell off- how is it cruel to send someone with no possible way of recovery to sleep without pain and to never wake up but instead we sentence them to 10+ years of HORRIBLE suffering.

We're telling the nursing home that hes NOT to get a flu jab this year, because him getting knocked off by the flu would be a loving blessing.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Ferremit posted:

We're telling the nursing home that hes NOT to get a flu jab this year, because him getting knocked off by the flu would be a loving blessing.

The only acceptable form of anti-vax.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

We're bringing in voluntary assisted dying mid-year, plan a road trip to Victoria maybe?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

He's so frail at the moment the trip would possibly kill him. He's in the ACT, which is one of the more progressive mobs so HOPEFULLY they might follow Victoria's lead in the near future.

Im in South Aus. Im pretty sure that the shotgun retirement plan would end up with me being charged with my own murder because we're so loving backwards on that kind of thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PainterofCrap posted:

That is a '68 Dart GT, probably a 340 cranking a 4-speed. He accelerated hard in 2nd, then came off the gas & was basically engine braking, which makes a hell of a (desireable) racket.

Unfortunately, with all of the money spent on motive power, oversized wheels, and tires, he failed to install traction bars (Mopar rears are leaf-sprung), and the resulting unchecked wheel-hop presented an interesting lesson in physics.

Isn't that similar to what happened to Jay Leno and Bob Riggle? I know Bob ran out of room and had to both stand on the brakes and steer, but it looked like it was doomed the moment the front wheels came back down - the rear end end was hopping the moment the skinnies were on pavement.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

STR posted:

Isn't that similar to what happened to Jay Leno and Bob Riggle? I know Bob ran out of room and had to both stand on the brakes and steer, but it looked like it was doomed the moment the front wheels came back down - the rear end end was hopping the moment the skinnies were on pavement.

Yup...and you'll notice that, in spite of the massive wheels, that axle stayed where it belonged; Hemi Under Glass is cranking out unreal torque, likely enough to blow a stock-installed axle right off of the chassis.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

glyph posted:

Lysol != Listerine.

Vanagoon posted:

The only acceptable form of anti-vax.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

evil_bunnY posted:

Who the gently caress tells their kid that.

My dad, too.

I mean, it seems practical, but woof.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey neato gang let's get back on Horrible Mechanical Failures though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The human body is a horrible mechanical failure.

Teeth are pretty much a wear item but replacement is difficult to the point German engineers covet and failure modes include rendering the rest of the body inoperable due to fault signals.

Also reproductive organs in certain models were clearly rushed out the factory because they were hung low for better cooling but this makes them incredibly vulnerable to shock and torsion. Again, failure modes tend to render the rest of the system inoperable for several minutes.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Only one pump? No redundancy!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
From recent experience, the bearings are not designed for shock loads and an impact (even if it happens on a different part of the overall linkage) can fragment them more easily than you'd think.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Every subsystem has a sacrificial link but it's random and sometimes changes based on what fuel you use.

Also some parts are defective from the factory, and nobody offers a comprehensive warranty!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Insert "powertrain swap" joke here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The paint on mine keeps peeling