Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
About to make the last purchases for my 2k Eldar list. It's 2k points of Harlequins and Craftworlds. Do you see any glaring weaknesses in this list?

1 Warlock on bike
2 farseers
2x 10 Guardians
7 Rangers
3 Dark Reapers
1 Hemlock

Shadowseer
Troupe Master
5 Players with Fusion
2x 6 Players with Fusion
6 bikes
3 transports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

What's everyone's most common blunder?

Mine has to be forgetting my Deathwatch mission tactics. That or pistols in the shooting phase for units in combat

I am very bad about being too aggressive with my characters and getting them murdered after charging something juicy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PierreTheMime posted:

Here’s my current plan for 1500pts:

Is the Brigade also Twisted Helix?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TheBigAristotle posted:

Getting into discussions on Dakka on the assumption they will continue in good faith, and not some asinine technicality :/

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:

TheBigAristotle posted:

Mine has to be forgetting my Deathwatch mission tactics. That or pistols in the shooting phase for units in combat

Forgetting that I have a librarian, and a psychic phase.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/14/14th-feb-the-dreaded-ambull-in-warhammer-40000gw-homepage-post-3/

That picture with Sly Marbo and the Ambull is :perfect:

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Inspector_666 posted:

Played my first game of real 40k at 1200 points tonight and got absolutely shithoused, but it was a Vigilus mission which meant my opponent got two full turns against a tiny amount of my army so I don't feel too bad about it.

I keep forgetting to roll my canticles, gotta keep on top of that (I do the same in Kill Team when I run my AdMech team out there.)
If it’s the one where the defender sets up first, starts in the middle with 25% of their army, the attacker sets up second on both table edges then goes first, and the defender can’t bring in the rest of his army until his second turn - and has to roll a 3+ to do it with each unit - then yeah that mission is super loving terrible.

It was the set mission for our narrative campaign l, with my side (Imperial) as defenders. Out of I think 11 games, we won only two - one was due to a creative reading of the first paragraph, which (maaaaaybe, not really, no it doesn’t) says the defender can have 33% more total points than the attacker, and the second because the dude was running a super good soup army plus he claimed that the rules state you aren’t technically tabled until your own next shooting phase... (true? bullshit?)

I set up with a Taranis Knight, in cover, with ion bulwark and Sanctuary, and still got annihilated by eldar bullshit before first turn.

Fun fact: on that mission, if the attacker has a huge rear end unit like a knight that dies, he can bring it back at full health as a reinforcement with a stratagem!

So yeah there’s many better ways to play 40k (such as virtually any other mission than that one) and that one was probably not the best introduction.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Coldbird posted:

If it’s the one where the defender sets up first, starts in the middle with 25% of their army, the attacker sets up second on both table edges then goes first, and the defender can’t bring in the rest of his army until his second turn - and has to roll a 3+ to do it with each unit - then yeah that mission is super loving terrible.

It was the set mission for our narrative campaign l, with my side (Imperial) as defenders. Out of I think 11 games, we won only two - one was due to a creative reading of the first paragraph, which (maaaaaybe, not really, no it doesn’t) says the defender can have 33% more total points than the attacker, and the second because the dude was running a super good soup army plus he claimed that the rules state you aren’t technically tabled until your own next shooting phase... (true? bullshit?)

I set up with a Taranis Knight, in cover, with ion bulwark and Sanctuary, and still got annihilated by eldar bullshit before first turn.

Fun fact: on that mission, if the attacker has a huge rear end unit like a knight that dies, he can bring it back at full health as a reinforcement with a stratagem!

So yeah there’s many better ways to play 40k (such as virtually any other mission than that one) and that one was probably not the best introduction.

Yup, that was the mission, and I was AdMech defending against Eldar soup (although the DE managed to not get off a single wound for I think the entire game somehow.) I should have ~1500 points by the end of this weekend (well, built an primed at least, although painting two units of Infiltrators and another Dunecrawler shouldn't be too too hard) so I should be able to get more games in soon.

It was definitely unbalanced and we both knew, but I still had a bunch of fun. Given how fundamentally involved in the Vigilus narrative AdMech are, there are a surprising number of missions they effectively can't play because they require a bunch of vehicles or transports.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Schadenboner posted:

Is the Brigade also Twisted Helix?

Yep. Likely using Elixir of the Prime Specimen on the Abominant for extra Knight murder.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

About to make the last purchases for my 2k Eldar list. It's 2k points of Harlequins and Craftworlds. Do you see any glaring weaknesses in this list?

1 Warlock on bike
2 farseers
2x 10 Guardians
7 Rangers
3 Dark Reapers
1 Hemlock

Shadowseer
Troupe Master
5 Players with Fusion
2x 6 Players with Fusion
6 bikes
3 transports

Double farseer probably isnt needed. Your guardians need a ride, to be a bigger squad thatdeepstrike, ,or need to be rangers. Rangers should be min squad. Cutting a player to let both your characters start in rides wouldnt be terrible and the master can also have a fusion. More reapers would he better to take advantage of guide and fire and fade.

Dont get wrapped with your fusion rides. I did that to a guy in my last game at LVO. I wrapped the ride with guardsmen that move move moved and then popped it with my shooting. Lost the whole squad and a troop master.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
You need some ynnari action up in there. Soul bursting solitaire is a good buzz.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What was the change to fly in cc that made it so DE reavers stopped being able to tie stuff up first turn?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What was the change to fly in cc that made it so DE reavers stopped being able to tie stuff up first turn?

They still can. They cannot jump units in the charge and fight phases so you cant as easily get kicked in to combat.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Naramyth posted:

They still can. They cannot jump units in the charge and fight phases so you cant as easily get kicked in to combat.

Oh gotcha.

Thank you my friend.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pictured: Sly Marbo about to ambush an Ambull.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

That's a big ol' Slaanesh lobster claw

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think it's a Possessed one in this case. It's been teased before as I recall.
The eyes running along its length is pretty good cool though.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

I forget about my deep striking sisters about 50% of the time. Almost always remember them on turn 4 to much dismay.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Getting ready to do some dumb inquisition shenanigans this weekend and I've got a quick rules question:

The Inquisition Land Raider Prometheus can transport 10 <ORDO> Infantry models.

Acolytes and Inquisitors have Authority of the Inquisition, which lets them ignore faction keywords - nominally you're supposed to use this to have them board other factions transports, but does allow models with this ability to board a land raider prometheus with a different <ORDO> (e.g, Xenos Acolyes and a Malleus Inquisitor party in a Hereticus land raider)? Effectively making the <ORDO> restriction on the land raider useless because every model that has an <ORDO> faction designation also has Authority of the Inquisition?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Giant Isopod posted:

Getting ready to do some dumb inquisition shenanigans this weekend and I've got a quick rules question:

The Inquisition Land Raider Prometheus can transport 10 <ORDO> Infantry models.

Acolytes and Inquisitors have Authority of the Inquisition, which lets them ignore faction keywords - nominally you're supposed to use this to have them board other factions transports, but does allow models with this ability to board a land raider prometheus with a different <ORDO> (e.g, Xenos Acolyes and a Malleus Inquisitor party in a Hereticus land raider)? Effectively making the <ORDO> restriction on the land raider useless because every model that has an <ORDO> faction designation also has Authority of the Inquisition?

Seems correct to me. The restriction is still there so that you can't take other factions on it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

aw, thanks! That means a lot. I had a blast doing it, though now I look back and think that I missed some opportunities to talk about specific things in the campaign set-up and plan in favor of dunking on ANAmal.net. Although I don't regret that part so much.

Honestly getting called out on that bumped the stupid robot to the top of my backlog, and get roasted on the badcast wasn't half as bad as the custom song you had commissioned to ether me.

Also, good interview, I definitely want to argue with your FMK choices but they're pretty much perfect.

EDIT: Well, I might argue the FM part but your kill was 100% on point.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seems correct to me. The restriction is still there so that you can't take other factions on it.

Okay, cool.

I just love the idea of a space orangutan commandeering an inquisition tank by flaunting his authority from a different unrelated branch of the inquisition. I'm sure that'll go over well at the next conclave

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Thinking my T5 Plague Marines are way more durable than they are :(

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Cainer posted:

I forget about my deep striking sisters about 50% of the time. Almost always remember them on turn 4 to much dismay.

I started putting my reserve models (or at least 1 model from each squad) next to my turn counter/command point admin area on the board so I see and am reminded of them them every time I spend points or change the turn die.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Honestly getting called out on that bumped the stupid robot to the top of my backlog, and get roasted on the badcast wasn't half as bad as the custom song you had commissioned to ether me.

Also, good interview, I definitely want to argue with your FMK choices but they're pretty much perfect.

EDIT: Well, I might argue the FM part but your kill was 100% on point.

I look forward to seeing your fully-painted dishrag

also yes, kill that fat idiot Lorgar forever

We didn't get into it in FTATHh, but despite being VP of the anime club, he's also a Conservative Christian Furry Fanartist who does little homemade comics (or "doujinshi") of like, the characters from Zootopia proselytizing to Shrek, but like, all of them are somehow pregnant

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cooked Auto posted:

I think it's a Possessed one in this case. It's been teased before as I recall.
The eyes running along its length is pretty good cool though.

I hope it's Gal Vorbak or some kind of Slaaneshi thing, but I'd settle for a possessed datasheet that isn't garbage.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

evol262 posted:

I hope it's Gal Vorbak or some kind of Slaaneshi thing, but I'd settle for a possessed datasheet that isn't garbage.

I think it's less likely we'll get a new possessed datasheet, just new possessed models and a new character (the "Master of Possession") that buffs possessed

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

I look forward to seeing your fully-painted dishrag

also yes, kill that fat idiot Lorgar forever

We didn't get into it in FTATHh, but despite being VP of the anime club, he's also a Conservative Christian Furry Fanartist who does little homemade comics (or "doujinshi") of like, the characters from Zootopia proselytizing to Shrek, but like, all of them are somehow pregnant

Oh it's gonna look like absolute piss. Just a giant monument to the Imperium's worst and least honored people. A Warhound destined to rot out in the underhive on an unending crusade to hold up the roof with one arm while the other holds a malfunctioning leaf blower that just throws trash everywhere, and also the crew's amnotic tanks are hooked right up the sewer line.

Just one hundred percent a dogshit Titan. Maybe it's a God Machine, but it's the god of being a lovely trash idiot.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Oh it's gonna look like absolute piss. Just a giant monument to the Imperium's worst and least honored people. A Warhound destined to rot out in the underhive on an unending crusade to hold up the roof with one arm while the other holds a malfunctioning leaf blower that just throws trash everywhere, and also the crew's amnotic tanks are hooked right up the sewer line.

Just one hundred percent a dogshit Titan. Maybe it's a God Machine, but it's the god of being a lovely trash idiot.

the pilots of this magnificent piss engine are a carefully-selected group of the system's least competent failsons. Freddos coming from entire families of Freddos, each an embarrassment to a family that was already known for being a group of inbred fuckasses. The head pilot is Aemonor Blragharest, who was saved from a pilot academy expulsion by a generous donation from his family after he was caught on open vox channels masturbating to the underwear section an ancient Sears catalog discovered by his archaeologist sister during a routine dig of old Earth landfills. He never completed a single mission on simulator successfully.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheChirurgeon posted:

the pilots of this magnificent piss engine are a carefully-selected group of the system's least competent failsons. Freddos coming from entire families of Freddos, each an embarrassment to a family that was already known for being a group of inbred fuckasses. The head pilot is Aemonor Blragharest, who was saved from a pilot academy expulsion by a generous donation from his family after he was caught on open vox channels masturbating to the underwear section an ancient Sears catalog discovered by his archaeologist sister during a routine dig of old Earth landfills. He never completed a single mission on simulator successfully.

This is getting weird

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

One of the servitors is what's left of the worst and dumbest son of a navigator house, the product of a hundred generations of selective breeding who nonetheless only ever managed to get distracted by video games and crash every ship he was responsible for. His job now is to cogitate the machine spirit of the Titan's mighty left leg, and avoid stepping in any particularly large xenos turds, a task he is consistently, unerringly, loving up all the time.

The other servitor is just a regular guy. He's a slacker from a backwater who decided that pretending to be a lobotomized tech-thrall was easier than getting a real job. At the end of his shifts he takes off all his fake prosthetics and gets drunk on re-circulated engine cleaner while sending increasingly horny vox messages to girls from his home planet that haven't thought about him in years, if at all.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

One of the servitors is what's left of the worst and dumbest son of a navigator house, the product of a hundred generations of selective breeding who nonetheless only ever managed to get distracted by video games and crash every ship he was responsible for. His job now is to cogitate the machine spirit of the Titan's mighty left leg, and avoid stepping in any particularly large xenos turds, a task he is consistently, unerringly, loving up all the time.

The other servitor is just a regular guy. He's a slacker from a backwater who decided that pretending to be a lobotomized tech-thrall was easier than getting a real job. At the end of his shifts he takes off all his fake prosthetics and gets drunk on re-circulated engine cleaner while sending increasingly horny vox messages to girls from his home planet that haven't thought about him in years, if at all.

Floating in that vat of amniotic sewage is the withered husk of Jovanus Bidwell, a former computer systems janitor from a backwater planet two systems over who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and severely burned bowels after several failed attempts to complete the "plasma pods challenge" on bets from coworkers. While ordinarily someone of his station would never have been considered for Titan machine-spirit operation, Jovanus' morgue-pod was mistakenly shipped to the Warhound when a clerical error mixed up the last two digits of his destination with the intended pilot (who was summarily sent to be disposed of on the incinerator planet, Trashfire III). Since being hooked into the vat, Jovanus has continued to deteriorate mentally and physically, and alternates between "incessant screaming" and "audibly complaining over all vox channels about how he totally could have eaten that last plasma pod if like, T-dog hadn't hosed him up by making that face."

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think it's less likely we'll get a new possessed datasheet, just new possessed models and a new character (the "Master of Possession") that buffs possessed

Oh boy new models for a bad unit. Hopefully this master makes them at least viable, as it is the possed box is just a conversion box for champions and lords.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheBigAristotle posted:

Ever since I started running an auxiliary Guard patrol with my Bangles and Admech i've had a terrible time remembering to issue orders at the start of shooting

e: which I blame on getting too enthused in the psychic phase, always a favorite

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Dunno about you guys but I'm digging this new Adeptus Titanicus fluff

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Floating in that vat of amniotic sewage is the withered husk of Jovanus Bidwell, a former computer systems janitor from a backwater planet two systems over who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and severely burned bowels after several failed attempts to complete the "plasma pods challenge" on bets from coworkers. While ordinarily someone of his station would never have been considered for Titan machine-spirit operation, Jovanus' morgue-pod was mistakenly shipped to the Warhound when a clerical error mixed up the last two digits of his destination with the intended pilot (who was summarily sent to be disposed of on the incinerator planet, Trashfire III). Since being hooked into the vat, Jovanus has continued to deteriorate mentally and physically, and alternates between "incessant screaming" and "audibly complaining over all vox channels about how he totally could have eaten that last plasma pod if like, T-dog hadn't hosed him up by making that face."

The Titan itself comes from a Forge World known primarily for discovering the STC of a slightly more efficient blender from the dark age of technology. As a result, the Arch-Magos is blasted on Phosphexaritas 24/7, and the entire manufactorum shuts down at 5 on Friday for a mandatory intoxication period. This Warhound, the Chunderbuss, was assembled on a Monday morning by a group of servitors still reeling from the weekend before. They would have faced an uphill battle even if they'd been trying hard to power through, and they absolutely were not. Due to their optical implants being unable to focus and the factory being too loud for them to process sensory inputs, Chunderbuss staggered off the assembly line and directly into the nearest Titan-compatible toilet to empty its coolant through the forward cooling ducts.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Naramyth posted:

I started putting my reserve models (or at least 1 model from each squad) next to my turn counter/command point admin area on the board so I see and am reminded of them them every time I spend points or change the turn die.

That is a good idea, I haven't played my Sisters in months but I'm thinking of grabbing some Infiltrators for my Admech and that would work just as well. Speaking of, I just finished my new Enginseer and am really proud how he turned out, forgive my potato camera skills.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

PierreTheMime posted:

You have it written correctly, and you do have a Battalion. Are you planning your list around what models you currently have? It seems a bit unfocused. It’s good to have different options for different threats, so this may work out depending on the opposing list.

Here’s my current plan for 1500pts:

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [83 PL, 1237pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magus [4 PL, 80pts]

Patriarch [7 PL, 125pts]

Primus [4 PL, 75pts]: Bonesword

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids [11 PL, 172pts]
. 14x Acolyte Hybrid (Hand Flamer): 14x Hand Flamer
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Demolition Charge, Hand Flamer
. Acolyte Leader: Cultist Knife, Hand Flamer

Acolyte Hybrids [9 PL, 108pts]
. 12x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
. Acolyte Leader: Autopistol, Cultist Knife

Acolyte Hybrids [9 PL, 101pts]
. 11x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw

Acolyte Hybrids [3 PL, 35pts]: 4x Acolyte Hybrid

+ Elites +

Aberrants [7 PL, 154pts]
. 4x Aberrant (Hammer): 4x Heavy Power Hammer
. Aberrant Hypermorph (Improvised): Heavy Improvised Weapon

Biophagus [2 PL, 35pts]

Kelermorph [3 PL, 60pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Cult Armoured Sentinels [3 PL, 35pts]
. Cult Armoured Sentinel: Multi-laser

+ Heavy Support +

Brood Brothers Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 39pts]
. 3x Weapons Team: 3x Mortar

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [18 PL, 263pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Cult Creed: The Twisted Helix

+ HQ +

Abominant [6 PL, 105pts]

Acolyte Iconward [3 PL, 53pts]

+ Troops +

++ Total: [101 PL, 1500pts] ++

Flood the field with bodies, all advancing (+2 no less) along with the Patriarch and Iconward for a fearless bubble and weak FNP. Mortars and Sentinels cut down the screen enough for the demo team, Aberrants, Abominant, Biophagus, and Kelermorph to drop in and clear huge swaths of the enemy army, leaving them a turn to clear 20 bodies and multiple tough characters.

Spend a CP for two bonus Warlord traits, which is pretty slick, leaving 19CP in the bank for reserve shenanigans.

It's a really interesting concept, but I think I would struggle to do repeated units like this - I really like my visual variety on the table, and for painting. I really like the bikes and ridgerunner too, so wanted to use them!

A question about the Ridgerunner, too.

In the Ridgerunner's entry on page 94, it states you can have up to 3 Ridgerunners in a unit for a cost of +4PR per Ridgerunner. In the points value section, it states that the Models Per Unit for the Ridgerunner is 1. Does that mean you can only take squads of three if you are not using points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

The Titan itself comes from a Forge World known primarily for discovering the STC of a slightly more efficient blender from the dark age of technology. As a result, the Arch-Magos is blasted on Phosphexaritas 24/7, and the entire manufactorum shuts down at 5 on Friday for a mandatory intoxication period. This Warhound, the Chunderbuss, was assembled on a Monday morning by a group of servitors still reeling from the weekend before. They would have faced an uphill battle even if they'd been trying hard to power through, and they absolutely were not. Due to their optical implants being unable to focus and the factory being too loud for them to process sensory inputs, Chunderbuss staggered off the assembly line and directly into the nearest Titan-compatible toilet to empty its coolant through the forward cooling ducts.

The only combat duty ever seen by the mighty piss engine known as Chunderbuss was as part of a Titan maniple of fellow bad-Monday constructs. In service to the Reaver Titan Oh god dude Just Name it Whatever, gently caress no wait that's, a massive engine of war erroneously constructed with two left arms after a particular bad night drinking Imperial Malort, it was dispatched to quell a Chaos incursion on the planet Xerxes IX. During its run from the drop point to the battle, Chunderbuss tripped on the wreckage of a stalled Dark Angels land raider, causing it to fall and collide with its fellow warhound, the backwards-mounted Weedlord Fucknaut, which then itself collided with the maniple's Reaver titan. The ensuing pile-up destroyed two entire battalions of Imperial Guard, killing thousands of warriors and hamstringing the Imperial defense efforts. Following the massacre and retreat of Imperial forces, the maniple was disbanded, with each of its poorly-constructed shambling war engines being dispatched to more routine duties across the galaxy.