Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh I misread it as 6' myself. Then yeah that XJ probably has the same dogshit useless system my WJ has.

Krakkles: On the WJ the receiver is literally part of the passenger door module. I can unlock mine from the outside with one of my remotes, from immediately outside the passenger side only. Won't work from the driver's.
Sounds like mine is at least working better than that - I'll have to tear open that door and see if I can figure anything out. I guess I have to learn about antennas now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm putting my car's air filter box on. The guy I bought the car from had a performance air filter installed, he also included the original air box filter, which I'm now reinstalling.

I'm 80% positive my car is missing a bracket or sorts to hold down the air box filter.

I know it's stupid to run it without it bolted down. But in the situation, I have to order a bracket online, could I run my car without it bolted?

It's a Pontiac Vibe 03'. Fun little manual car with low milage I got cheap.

EDIT: I may have answered my own question.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 13, 2019

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

zaepg posted:

I'm putting my car's air filter box on. The guy I bought the car from had a performance air filter installed, he also included the original air box filter, which I'm now reinstalling.

I'm 80% positive my car is missing a bracket or sorts to hold down the air box filter.

I know it's stupid to run it without it bolted down. But in the situation, I have to order a bracket online, could I run my car without it bolted?

It's a Pontiac Vibe 03'. Fun little manual car with low milage I got cheap.

EDIT: I may have answered my own question.
Throwing it out there anyway: If the box is not held down, I would probably run it if it's not in place that's going to move into a belt or other moving or hot part. If the filter is not held in place, I would not run it, because it means unfiltered air (and other crap) is getting into the engine, which is Bad.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Yeah if it's in a corner or something away from moving bits it'll make an annoying rattle but should be safe. Otherwise just wait.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I'll check the location of the box tomorrow. My hunch is it'll be ok.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 14, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Lol those discs are hosed.

fridge corn posted:

Looks like the bit they used to cut them was worn to gently caress also I wouldn't think skimming slotted (and drilled?) discs would be a very good idea either. If there was nothing wrong with the discs and you were just changing to a different kind of pad I would have just roughed them up with a bit of heavy grit sandpaper to deglaze them

Motronic posted:

An angle grinder would have done a better job.

They ruined them with worn out tooling or incompetent usage.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah....how the hell you place drilled rotors on the lathe to begin with...

Great.

so what the gently caress do I do? tell the shop to give me my money back? They stop fine but the noise (not squealing, just a loudish howling noise while driving) is pretty annoying.

take them to a proper brake shop get skimmed again?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.autobrakecenter.com/mit...2nvudca3gbno9a2
https://www.autobrakecenter.com/mit...2nvudca3gbno9a2

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 14, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Laserface posted:

Great.

so what the gently caress do I do? tell the shop to give me my money back? They stop fine but the noise (not squealing, just a loudish howling noise while driving) is pretty annoying.

take them to a proper brake shop get skimmed again?

Tell them they just bought you new rotors. And pads if you've been running on those for long enough.

That is a poo poo job. At a bare minimum you should be getting every dime back that you paid them. But it should be more. They should make it right.

But a shop that did that doesn't' seem capable of making it right. You'll need to play that one by ear when you go back. If a shop manager takes a look at those and goes "OH poo poo IM SO SORRY" let them fix it. If they argue that it's fine you don't want them ever touching your car again.

E:

JFC, those are not expensive rotors and not worth resurfacing.

THESE are expensive rotors: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-gt3-girodisc-brake-rotors/

(and those are the budget choice)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 14, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That shop hosed up your brakes.

Period.

It just hasn't contributed to an accident yet.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Motronic posted:

Tell them they just bought you new rotors. And pads if you've been running on those for long enough.

That is a poo poo job. At a bare minimum you should be getting every dime back that you paid them. But it should be more. They should make it right.

But a shop that did that doesn't' seem capable of making it right. You'll need to play that one by ear when you go back. If a shop manager takes a look at those and goes "OH poo poo IM SO SORRY" let them fix it. If they argue that it's fine you don't want them ever touching your car again.

E:

JFC, those are not expensive rotors and not worth resurfacing.

THESE are expensive rotors: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-991-gt3-girodisc-brake-rotors/

(and those are the budget choice)

to put slotted rotors on it, brand new, is around $860AUD delivered (DBA 4000 T3s). I was going to go for plain rotors when they were required to be changed, which are about $200 cheaper total.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ohhhhh...that detail makes all the difference and sense around crazy pricing. Yeah, I bet a lot more rotors ARE worth surfacing as compared to in the US/EU.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Motronic posted:

Ohhhhh...that detail makes all the difference and sense around crazy pricing. Yeah, I bet a lot more rotors ARE worth surfacing as compared to in the US/EU.

A lot of it boils down to "gotta pay if you wanna play".

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Is there a general list of when it's time to replace X you should upgrade from OEM?
Just for daily driving, not the track or main street cruzin'.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think it's largely down to personal preference, so no, probably not. For me, lights, tires, shocks/struts, and brakes (pads, at least, maybe rotors?) are probably the standouts. They'll have the largest effect on daily drives.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
So, I'm in the process of swapping a k20 into my AW11 and I have a few plumbing questions. The oem toyota hvac in the mr2 was full of mouse poo poo and mold so I tossed the whole unit, the coolant/heater pipes that run from the motor to the rad and heater car were also hosed and full of rust so I tossed those too. I can weld so I'm just going to modify a rad with -16AN bungs and use some aftermarket stuff to get 16AN outlets on the head and thermostat housing and run those hoses up to the nose.

The question is how to add a heater. Should I loop the heater lines at the back of the water pump and tee the 16AN rad lines to the heater core? Or should I just use hose and jubilee clamps on the honda heater outlets and run them through the car to an aftermarket heater core?

TWSS fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 14, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dukket posted:

Is there a general list of when it's time to replace X you should upgrade from OEM?
Just for daily driving, not the track or main street cruzin'.

No.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This, unless something is literally defective or under-spec from the factory.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

IOwnCalculus posted:

This, unless something is literally defective or under-spec from the factory.

Sure

Also, I didn't mean "you HAVE" to upgrade this", more if it's time to replace tires/air filter/ oil filter/brakes etc it's worth it to upgrade, but you don't need to.

I'm going to be replacing my tires soon and plan to upgrade mostly with hopes of something quieter (so many choices!). I bought "better" bulbs for my headlights when they burned out.

Edit: I ask this mostly for the "I didn't know that" factor. For example I didn't know that a lot of road noise can come from your tires. I just always thought non OEM tires were for track dorks.

Dukket fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 14, 2019

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dukket posted:

Sure

Also, I didn't mean "you HAVE" to upgrade this", more if it's time to replace tires/air filter/ oil filter/brakes etc it's worth it to upgrade, but you don't need to.

I'm going to be replacing my tires soon and plan to upgrade mostly with hopes of something quieter (so many choices!). I bought "better" bulbs for my headlights when they burned out.

I don’t know about OEM specifically, but I generally buy the best I can afford with regards to tires and braking equipment. I want the best quality items for stopping. Everything else can be convenient or whatever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dukket posted:

Sure

Edit: I ask this mostly for the "I didn't know that" factor. For example I didn't know that a lot of road noise can come from your tires. I just always thought non OEM tires were for track dorks.

On regular maintenance items like filters, OEM parts are generally considered as high end as anything else out there.

Brakes, specifically brake pads, there can be some actual differences, but then this also becomes highly dependent on what you're doing with the car and what deficiencies you think it may have. Pads are a part where once you get off of the bottom of the barrel, improvements in one area usually come at the expense of performance in other areas. A pad that has high bite when cold probably won't survive the heat involved in heavy track use. Pads with more bite overall generally make more dust, more noise, and wear rotors out more quickly than a typical pad.

There's always some exceptions to this. Mazda's OE pads for the MS3, for example, were insanely dusty for no good reason. Any decent aftermarket pad offers similar performance, while generating far less dust.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Always buy the best tires you can since those little pads on the bottom of them is literally everything there is to changing direction and stopping your vehicle.

Don't cheap out on your bed, don't cheap out on your tires.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Always buy the best tires you can since those little pads on the bottom of them is literally everything there is to changing direction and stopping your vehicle.

Don't cheap out on your bed, don't cheap out on your tires.
I've heard this further as "Don't cheap out on anything that connects you to the ground - bed, tires, and shoes."

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For any car I’ve had recently the oem tires were more expensive than almost anything else while only being OK compared to the alternatives. This is for regular passenger tires too, not just performance stuff.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My van's OE size is apparently out of style now so four generic passenger car tires for it is like $700. :argh: Or I have to deal with odometer error if I jump to the next closest size.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Krakkles posted:

I've heard this further as "Don't cheap out on anything that connects you to the ground - bed, tires, and shoes."

That's much more concise yeah.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
How bad an idea is buying 7 year old coils with 40kkm on them for 30-40% of the price of new ones?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MrOnBicycle posted:

How bad an idea is buying 7 year old coils with 40kkm on them for 30-40% of the price of new ones?

Bad.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Remember that an upgraded-from-OEM part is sometimes (often?) just the OEM part with different packaging and price.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

totalnewbie posted:

Remember that an upgraded-from-OEM part is sometimes (often?) just the OEM part with different packaging and price.

Now that I thought about this I was thinking the of big things...so I'll retract my statement a tad.

Imagine one of the big boys screws up an item (such as a window regulator or a slider) so many times that another company rolls in to save the day with a cheaper fix.

The name of that company is Dorman.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Friends don't let friends buy used hard drives ignition components.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Queen Combat posted:

Friends don't let friends buy used hard drives ignition components.

Well I don't know, used Lucas electrical products have served me well in my non-functional vehical.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Stupid question: is there an Audi thread? My gf is looking at buying a lowish mileage 2016 TTS to replace her 2010 3.8 Gen Coupe. We're going to check it out this weekend and we'll probably do a PPI but I'm wondering if any goons have a similar vintage Mk3 TTS.

The virtual cockpit looks great, the seats look supportive, and fold down seats and a hatch seem good.

She was also pining for a 982 Cayman, but she loves the color of this one and it seems like it might be a more practical DD. No idea how reliability or build quality compares.

I've only driven a 2006ish Boxster and was really put off at the cheap interior and melting, sticky buttons on the radio.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Javid posted:

My van's OE size is apparently out of style now so four generic passenger car tires for it is like $700. :argh: Or I have to deal with odometer error if I jump to the next closest size.

This is a pretty irritating problem, I feel your pain.

All I want is a 205/70-15ish tire that tracks straight and has a 5/8" whitewall for less money than $COKER$.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

At this point I just want four matching tires, with tread, that won't throw my odometer >1% off.

OE is 235/70, Schwab suggests 225/75 as the closest possible thing.

E: Alternatively, the speedometer error from a 265/75 would actually make my speedo nearly correct, at a cost of a nearly 10% odometer error. And 1.5% more ground clearance!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Javid posted:

E: Alternatively, the speedometer error from a 265/75 would actually make my speedo nearly correct, at a cost of a nearly 10% odometer error. And 1.5% more ground clearance!

Every time that wheel turn 'round
You're bound to cover just a little more ground

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Now that I thought about this I was thinking the of big things...so I'll retract my statement a tad.

Imagine one of the big boys screws up an item (such as a window regulator or a slider) so many times that another company rolls in to save the day with a cheaper fix.

The name of that company is Dorman.

Sometimes.

Sometimes the Dorman part has the exact same flaw, in the exact same way, as the OEM part.

I can change WJ window regulators in my loving sleep now.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Ok, gut feeling confirmed, won't buy used coils! Dodge Dart owners have reported better driveability and less hesitation problems on the multiair engine when putting in Alfa 4C coils instead of the standard ones. So I was looking at a "if I need to change, what will it cost" scenario.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sometimes.

Sometimes the Dorman part has the exact same flaw, in the exact same way, as the OEM part.

I can change WJ window regulators in my loving sleep now.

Yeah, was sort of implying the OEM design is screwed up so bad why not go with a cheaper alternative.

As for window regulators, I feel your pain. I often wonder at the marvel of engineering (or the sadistic rear end in a top hat) that designs the opening for these. Ford cracked me up because they use rivets to hold them on. One of those "I would love to see how fast and easy they do this on the production line."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They have all kinds of special jigs and arms and poo poo so it's probably nbd for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

So I've been googling the issue with my overdrive; the most common answer I find is to directly switch the OD solenoid, bypassing the computer control, and see if it shifts or not. If it shifts, something in the ECU or sensor is hosed. If it doesn't, make sure there's good power to the switch, if so then it's actually in the transmission, in which case rip. Either way you've narrowed it down to electrical or mechanical, and if it's electrical you can just leave the switch in place if you don't wanna deal with it.

A) does that sounds like a bad idea?
B) how many amps do I need to plan around when buying a switch?
C) what happens if the switch gets bumped when I'm going like 25 mph or something? If I can grenade my transmission like that, I'm much less interested.