Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Hooboy, I read that as "he doesn't know he's dealing with football's aftermath" and I thought "wow that's grim and overdramatic, even for Cancerbean."

Then I remembered that this award mini-arc started with an implication that Bull or others were involved with a crime rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

There's not much English translations of anything. There's so much material in the monoculture no one sees much point. A serious translation publishing culture requires a country be small enough to not be able to provide for all those needs on its own.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

That might have been a figure of speech, it's not clear.

Maybe, like, idiomatically:

"If it doesn't measure up, it's gone."
"I don't measure up either!"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Quote is not edit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pastry of the Year posted:

Maybe, like, idiomatically:

"If it doesn't measure up, it's gone."
"I don't measure up either!"
that doesn't make it clear that he's talking about his dick though.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I wanna thank this thread for exposing me to these comic strips, both the good and the terrible.

Seriously, screw Foob, Luann, Funky Winkerbean, Mary Worth and all of Holbrook's poo poo. I can't help but hate-read it now just to see how bad it is now.

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't need to hear more about Ian's virility.

I don't know what's more pathetic. That Ian is dumb enough to tell this to his paranoid wife, or that Toby says she thinks Ian's virile when we've been shown just how much she hates the idea of actually talking to him.

So this rear end in a top hat is totally gonna send this poor woman his dick pics while he's still wearing his Star Trek PJs, right?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

that doesn't make it clear that he's talking about his dick though.

I read the comic as him feeling as an inadequate fuckup at work, which is why Dharma sent him on vacation, only for him to identify with the fish that wasn't good enough to keep.

But I don't read Korean so who knows?!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Close to Home

Fred Basset

Marmaduke

Reply All

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

catlord posted:

I don't normally comment on Out Our Way because it tends to be good and most of the little historical bits get explained so I don't need to ask, but this was a pretty good batch.
Although, as much as I like Out Our Way, I tend to skip the factory ones.

I"m in the same boat, but I can't really put my finger on why they don't grab me like the others. Any thoughts?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Samovar posted:

And here is the first sign that the art is not going to be so good. Ibahiya is just flat-out poorly drawn. You will see more examples later on, tho.

That Parsi dude has seen some poo poo.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Close to Home

The Grunch who stole Valentines.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tiggum posted:

Alley Oop

I briefly forgot the joke was that he lost his glasses and I was surprised that a newspaper comic was going to rip Reagen that hard over his Alzheimer's.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I don't think we have a smilie that encompasses the "fuuuuuuuck yooou" I want to express.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why are they in neighboring, identical cribs? And in a white void?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Beetle Bailey

Blondie

Hi and Lois

Judge Parker

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Since when has that ever stopped Corto before, Cassandra?, or Cassie's brother neglects the first decalogue, or How long has it been since we've last seen Corto ACTUALLY do some seafaring, now?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
random Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Elysiume posted:

I briefly forgot the joke was that he lost his glasses and I was surprised that a newspaper comic was going to rip Reagen that hard over his Alzheimer's.

The lost glasses thing feels like a cover..."A lovely sunset" indeed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why faff about with justifying the red smear on Alley's forehead if you're gonna portray Ronnie as blind enough to mistake the bald bearded professor for Bush anyway, is the thing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

FrumpleOrz posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Guess he's never heard of the Westermark effect. Why do people romanticize the idea of finding your "true love" when you're a kid?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Zereth posted:

Isn't CTE something you can't confirm until you can open up the skull and dissect the brain? The best you can do before then is "You are showing symptoms that could be caused by CTE"?

Yeah, pretty much. That's one of the things I find so infuriating about this arc.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strontium posted:

Raine Dog is a webcomic, please don't post it here

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Footrot Flats (1976)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

JethroMcB posted:

The lost glasses thing feels like a cover..."A lovely sunset" indeed.

Yeah, I'm gonna say that Joey Allison Sayers probably isn't a huge fan of Ronny, so this looks like it was an Alzheimer's strip that was reworked for editorial approval.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why faff about with justifying the red smear on Alley's forehead if you're gonna portray Ronnie as blind enough to mistake the bald bearded professor for Bush anyway, is the thing.

I guess because you can? Alley Oop's never had great internal logic as far as I can tell. It's more "what will make the cartoonist chuckle"

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Strontium posted:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Esplanade posted:

I"m in the same boat, but I can't really put my finger on why they don't grab me like the others. Any thoughts?
I think it's because there are a lot of words, usually written in the vernacular with arcane and outdated colloquialisms and often with dialect of an immigrant all of which makes it difficult to read, and the theme of working in a factory like they do and in the conditions they do is probably completely unrelateable to most modern people.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"You have a Mennonite beard! And you drive a Beetle! What's not to like? You're a catch!"

The Phantom

No!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Spoiler: They died on the plane and this is going to be a Lost style story from now on.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

She has shown marked improvement. Her attempted suicide yesterday was a lesser attempted suicide than her usual attempted suicides.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

"Let me tell you about this awesome strip called Edge of Adventure..."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So the fat idiot is admitting to his idiot wife that he is completely controlled by his idiot horny impulses and his wife is OK with that

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

So the fat idiot is admitting to his idiot wife that he is completely controlled by his idiot horny impulses and his wife is OK with that

Well, she basically can't stand to even talk to him but would be insanely jealous of anyone else paying him any attention, so the fact that he tried to make some kind of connection with someone else and was rebuffed is exactly what she wants to hear. Now he knows that being barely tolerated by Toby is the best he can hope for, so she doesn't need to worry about him being tempted again, nor does she need to actually do anything herself. It's the perfect outcome and him admitting everything is just one of the things that makes it so perfect.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
this took me 10 hours in mspaint

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This Macanudo is even worse than the usual ~reading is magic~ garbage. Truly a feat in sucking poo poo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2012 Spiderman

The Amazing Spiderman

I never want this storyline to end. :allears:

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Sorry for the absence, my computer died, working on a loaned one now while I wait for parts to arrive.

Sam's Strip 11/29 - 12/05/1961

Ye Olde Foxtrot 5/19 - 5/24/1988

Tarzan

Dilbert: Year One

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

The Princess Planet
June 4th, 2006

lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

What the gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pastry of the Year posted:

I read the comic as him feeling as an inadequate fuckup at work, which is why Dharma sent him on vacation, only for him to identify with the fish that wasn't good enough to keep.
That's the obvious intent but he looks like he's protecting his junk as he jumps off the boat and it's funnier that way because I relate less to having a micropenis than just suffering everyday crushingly low self-esteem.

Kind of a weird zinger, but ok

Nekonaughey

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm betting Bunny has a particular set of skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Simpsons-level "file photo" gag there