Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Nazi klurf trying for more meme edit bait in hopes to go viral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Noted far left politician Kamala Harris.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Noted far left politician Kamala Harris.

Like Stalin she too put a lot of people in prison!

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

What if we took all the people who sit around their homes in sweaters over dress shirts and ties, slacks, and dress shoes like Skelly endlessly depicts, and we seize their assets

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Raised By Birds posted:

For a moment I thought he was pivoting to "Maybe The Center isn't the only valid place to be," until that third panel. Winslow's line there makes me think "having good things is nice, but not if we have to actually do things to get them."

Stantis' job is to reassure old conservatives (see: The ones who still believe in not saying the quiet parts of their bigotry out loud) that they're still the REAL conservatives and that eventually :decorum: will return, in the meantime, don't lose hope that you're still the wise and mature grownup in the room.
That's it. That's his message.

He's never going to "get" it or abandon the dark side. He just wants more Senator Palpatine and less Emperor Palpatine.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
2024 read-along: Things go poorly

We're finally being introduced to Indietek! This is one of the three arms of the corporate government apparatus, the one responsible for the tech monopoly. A third of the antagonist block that this world revolves around! What does Rall have to tell us? It's real powerful. Moving on. No seriously, that's all we loving get.

Rallston's comfort continues. He's basically happy. Winston, you'll recall, lives a lovely loving life. He's got a persistent illness he can't get rid of; he smokes low-quality cigarettes and drinks low-quality gin from the same label; he's basically always a bit hungry and a bit underslept and more than a little bit sad. Rallston is explicitly comfortable with his life, and all he needs to do is not care about it. Which he happily complies with. He sees a shirt he wants, he buys it, someone compliments him on it, he goes home and gets high while watching the news. The text goes so far as to say that all that is left in life in Ralltopia is the pursuit of pleasure. Why the gently caress does Rallston even consider going up "against" the corporate establishment when he's basically fine? Well, we've got a ways to go before we figure that out.

We start with some great specifics on page 19: "Smart pills from some guy." I'm gonna skip the personal information in the next three panels because it doesn't matter; it's some backstory about one of Rallston's 30+ stepmoms and at the end of it we're basically told it's all lies and she was actually a "bitch," which is confirmed by someone from his work in the next panel. I am, however, going to ask you all to take a looksee at the middle two panels, because Rall gets real loving Rall in both of them.

Panel 3 on page 19 reveals that Rallston used to be able to draw, but lost all of his skills because there is no paper anymore. All of the trees are dead, so all of the paper is gone, so Rallston can't draw. There are no solutions to this problem, obviously. Wonder what Rall's excuse is I'm trying to be charitable, folks, but it ain't easy. Panel 4 contains yet more Rall being really skeevy about gay people; specifically, we're told that Rallston's second stepmom left him at 11 for "some girl online" in order to scarequote explore scarequote her sexuality, and I think that we're supposed to see this as something that explains some of Rallston's behaviour up until now? Again, this won't affect poo poo in the future. It doesn't actually affect anything right now. It's useless, worthless bullshit that would have been cut if this had gone through a drafting process.

But please, keep in mind that all of the trees are dead and therefore there is no paper. Both of these fairly explicit rules will have been violated before the end of the book.

I assume that the woman in the last panel is smoking a... what would that even be? Are there paperless cigarettes that fall apart like that? Also "I only got horny for her when I imagined murdering her" Rallston doing some grade-A projection there saying that his stepmom had issues. Wait, doesn't he not talk to people because everyone's the same? Why is he talking about his past with yet another character we haven't met?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 14, 2019

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah sometimes he does the 'lets lol at the wierdo' cartoons like that. the one about the insufferable personality contest between vegans and bicycle riders, for instance. it's very 4chan culture. SA too, if we're being honest.

I think I see. 'At least we're not like THEM' is a good way at getting people like redpillers, blackpillers and members of the Lost Generation on your side, since the bullied become bullies and they feel there's not many people beneath them to pick on in the first place. Communities of people who are already picking on people beneath them because they feel their own lives are poo poo are also ripe recruitment targets. Once the alt-right has them, they can start indoctrinating them. This is why Pepe the Frog moved from incel forum /r9k/ to /pol/.

Does SA have much of an alt-right presence? Does the alt-right even bother with us?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This Rallston read along is awesome.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Katt posted:

It's something all right. If anything it has made me realize that Rall has actually improved in some ways; 2024 is less coherent than Day By Day.

Also it looks like he's trying to write the next Brave New World more than 1984.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Somfin posted:

Panel 4 contains yet more Rall being really skeevy about gay people; specifically, we're told that Rallston's second stepmom left him at 11 for "some girl online" in order to scarequote explore scarequote her sexuality, and I think that we're supposed to see this as something that explains some of Rallston's behaviour up until now?
Note how she is also "masculine", he really doesn't like gay people.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

sheep-dodger posted:

Also hold up Rallston's childhood had 30 to 40 divorces so that means that if his second stepmom left at 11 either he was cycling through a lot of dads up until that point or they really started picking up the pace once he hit 12.

Katt posted:

felch me daddy jr. posted:

It's something all right. If anything it has made me realize that Rall has actually improved in some ways; 2024 is less coherent than Day By Day.

Also it looks like he's trying to write the next Brave New World more than 1984.

Aww, thank you! Seriously, it's nice to know that I'm not shoutin' into the void on this bullshit.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 14, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerJ posted:

I think I see. 'At least we're not like THEM' is a good way at getting people like redpillers, blackpillers and members of the Lost Generation on your side, since the bullied become bullies and they feel there's not many people beneath them to pick on in the first place. Communities of people who are already picking on people beneath them because they feel their own lives are poo poo are also ripe recruitment targets. Once the alt-right has them, they can start indoctrinating them. This is why Pepe the Frog moved from incel forum /r9k/ to /pol/.

Does SA have much of an alt-right presence? Does the alt-right even bother with us?

The problem the alt-right have with gaining a foothold here is that we recognise their poo poo and they get called out on it. Cue meltdown and ban. Also, ha ha, try finding an alt-righter with :10bux:, let alone one who will give it to a Godless Librul Hommasexshul like Lowtax.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

Katauskas:

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Somfin posted:

Aww, thank you! Seriously, it's nice to know that I'm not shoutin' into the void on this bullshit.

I've been following along, too. I remember that 2024 had been posted in a previous thread but I wasn't paying as much attention back then, so this is still mostly new to me.

sheep-dodger posted:

Remember this Classic Rall, from 2013

quote:

After the Stonewall riots, the gay liberation movement was militant, agitating for more freedom and radical ways to live. But AIDS led to increased conservatism - and now, after gay marriage was effectively legalized, one had to ask: whatever happened to the thrilling gay movement of the 1970s?

Gay people were cool before they sold out, man.

I was wondering if we were going to get any Opportunity toons. A 90 day mission, but a 15 year lifespan. You did good, little rover. :unsmith:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Feinne posted:

From pages back but I wanted to share because this is personal and recent for me.

To me, it's the stigmatization of trans identities that makes things often appear sudden, because people don't necessarily feel comfortable talking about their dysphoria when they're still sort of managing to live with it. I know I sure didn't, in part because I have serious trust issues and in part (and sort of amplified by that first portion) I found the specific ways that it's essentially always hit me extremely embarrassing. I'll long story short it that I had an extremely negative body image and it led to a lot of really poor health and hygiene choices. In late January I finally hit a breaking point where I couldn't go on anymore the way things were, and started taking some affirmative steps to live the life I want to live. I'm not quite at the point of feeling comfortable telling anyone about it in person and when I do I'm sure I'll get quite a bit about how 'sudden' it is to suddenly decide I'm a woman nearly 34 years into my life but from my perspective there is absolutely nothing sudden about the dripping toxicity that was going towards me drinking myself into an early grave.

From some time back, but I just wanted to send you big hugs. I've been in your exact same position a couple years ago, and I know it's super hard. Don't be discouraged.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Raised By Birds posted:

Remember this Classic Rall, from 2013

This is a good parallel: 2001 Rall just hated gay people for how gay and weird they were (and loving loved dropping the F-bomb), but 2013 Rall had realised that the woke new take was to hate gay people for not being gay and weird enough (and probably still loving loves dropping the F-bomb but can't get away with it anymore).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zesty posted:

Holy. poo poo.

quote:

JR proceeded to rip the cell phone out of his daughter‘s hand because he thought she was trying to call her mother. He was screaming in his daughter‘s face about the Block family legacy: “Do you want to be high class or low class? You’re a Block, you’re one of us! You have to learn how to lead!” She was shaking and saying that she didn’t want to. …
I thought "Jebediah Block" was a pretty silly name for a richie rich coal baron in Hitman 2 in their overly on-the-nose Davos level, but now...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somfin posted:

I haven't commented much because I expended so much vitriol last time, but all (true!) joking about how horrible it is aside, it's cool to see the effort you're putting in, and for others to get a reminder of just how loving terrible Rall is at something he has dedicated the better part of his life to and thinks he is at the forefront of.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

Feldegast42 posted:

Garrison does it again
Missed opportunity, imo, not to go with 'Hard Infanticider'

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:lol:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mikl posted:

From some time back, but I just wanted to send you big hugs. I've been in your exact same position a couple years ago, and I know it's super hard. Don't be discouraged.

Thanks! I think I'm starting to hit on the right makeup to read as 'mousey lady' instead of my previous 'mousey dude'. Which brings me to circling back to Rall actually. When he's not displaying active contempt for LGBTQ people, he's lamenting that we want to live 'normal' lives. I mean look at that poo poo from just this page, 'oh, if you give gays all the rights of everyone else, they'll probably just go back to being straight!'

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Feldegast42 posted:

Garrison does it again

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think the worst part of this (besides, yknow, the obvious) is that it depicts gay people as being granted rights, without any fuss, the second they ask for them. And only asking for them because they only just now wanted them.
"Now I wanna get married too" says the gay community, having never wanted that at any point in history until just now.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This "you're a Block, act like it" poo poo made me think of Erik Loomis's series on visiting American graves. There's a plethora of 19th century plutocrats buried under these over-the-top monuments and, aside from the biggest names (well, worst names, e.g. Carnegie), no one cares about these people anymore even as their fortune has passed through generations.

So yeah, we're really gonna miss John Robinson Block when he's dead and gone. Ol' Block, he did so much for this planet. Block, a name to be spoken through the ages. Nerdlinger rear end in a top hat will never, ever buy his employees' respect.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 14, 2019

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah sometimes he does the 'lets lol at the wierdo' cartoons like that. the one about the insufferable personality contest between vegans and bicycle riders, for instance. it's very 4chan culture. SA too, if we're being honest.

Yeah, but after we go 'lol at the weirdo' we turn the monitor back on.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sign me the gently caress up for the bank of other people's money.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've seen edits of this one in the wild, most notably with boobs, rear end, and feet replaced with PC, console, and mobile respectively

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

D.N. Nation posted:

Block, a name to be spoken through the ages.

Don't forget about Mr Block, the Union comic from 1912.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There is a view that gay rights became more about assimilation into the heteronormative culture instead of the culture itself changing in any grand way. That’s why the face of gay rights tended to be milquetoast, middle-class dads instead of poor trans lesbians in multiple relationships. I know we can argue about tempering expectations and how to successfully get across ideas to people diametrically opposed to them, but there are camps in the queer community that feel like we had to change more to accommodate straight people than vice versa. In simpler terms, it’s “gay people should marry” vs. “why do we place such a cultural importance on this old and outdated concept?”.

But do not, even for a second, confuse this with thinking Rall is correct in any way. He’s the teenager that never grew out of his punk rock phase and just wants to seem rebellious because it’s cool.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 14, 2019

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Gaybies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible I guess a thing happened

Seriously, what is going on here? Did Trump want a big scary dog but he had to compromise with his wife, the Congress, and get a stupid yippy dog and now he's stuck walking it? If so, why is it not a stupid yippy dog? Why is a dog even part of this?

Why doesn't the dog say "debt" on it?

Ed. Also I made a terrible av because I didn't know what else to do with the information I just received

betaraywil fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 14, 2019

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Raised By Birds posted:

The most generous read possible is that he wants gay movement to focus on economic justice. The less generous interpretation is that Rall doesn't give a poo poo at all, he just likes masturbating to the thought that someone out there is fighting the man. Even trying to be as generous as possible to Rall, it's still about how the gay rights should really focus on these things that Rall wants, as oppose to what the actual activists doing the work want.

Pants Donkey posted:

There is a view that gay rights became more about assimilation into the heteronormative culture instead of the culture itself changing in any grand way. That’s why the face of gay rights tended to be milquetoast, middle-class dads instead of poor trans lesbians in multiple relationships. I know we can argue about tempering expectations and how to successfully get across ideas to people diametrically opposed to them, but there are camps in the queer community that feel like we had to change more to accommodate straight people than vice versa. In simpler terms, it’s “gay people should marry” vs. “why do we place such a cultural importance on this old and outdated concept?”.

But do not, even for a second, confuse this with thinking Rall is correct in any way. He’s the teenager that never grew out of his punk rock phase and just wants to seem rebellious because it’s cool.

There is a real conversation here, but one that Rall has no place throwing in his two cents in. He has no connection with the LBGTQ community, and as we have seen in his comics seems to treat gay and trans people with a mix of condescension and vague disgust. LBGTQ rights are something he treats like a band he was into back when they were underground, rather than people's loving lives.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

betaraywil posted:

Gaybies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Seriously, what is going on here? Did Trump want a big scary dog but he had to compromise with his wife, the Congress, and get a stupid yippy dog and now he's stuck walking it? If so, why is it not a stupid yippy dog? Why is a dog even part of this?

he said at a rally people want him to get a dog but it'd be 'phony' to see him walking a dog and all. The 'border deal' is being panned by the anti-immigrant types because it's way less for border security funding than Trump wanted and most of the 'barrier' funding is for fencing and poo poo which is honestly still terrible but it's not a massive wall so Trump's angry about it anyway. He's saying it's phony for Trump to support the deal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

betaraywil posted:

Gaybies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible

A few days ago he did a rally where he said that getting a dog would make him gay.

I'm only exaggerating a little bit.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Am I crazy for thinking that's actually kind of clever for a Ramirez then? I've already been wrong in this thread once today, so I'm willing to chalk that up to Stockholm Syndrome.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Pants Donkey posted:

I think it's also in general just a problem with how tightly intertwined our cultural institutions are with our legal ones. It's hard to even challenge the idea of 'should we even care about being able to marry' when there are real legal consequences tied to the government not recognizing your partnership. You kind of have to untangle them to even start challenging the culture, but once you do it gets even harder in a way because then milquetoast fuckers start on you about 'you got what you wanted why are you still doing this?!'

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Isn't that guy posted in real newspapers?

Edit: Shame on me for not checking latest page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything