Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Puddin posted:

I was looking to get something while we are here in Germany but jeez that's a good price.

oh?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B074VGL9LB/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1549653008&sr=8-1&keywords=WH900N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

My man!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ChazTurbo posted:

between the dt770 pro and he-4XX for a secondary pair of cans. anyone have experience with both?

I've got the Custom One Pro and the 400i, which according to the internet are basically the same as the dt770 and 4XX. What is your primary pair and what are you looking for out of your secondary pair?

They're very different headphones, especially with one being open backed and the other closed.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

ItBreathes posted:

I've got the Custom One Pro and the 400i, which according to the internet are basically the same as the dt770 and 4XX. What is your primary pair and what are you looking for out of your secondary pair?

They're very different headphones, especially with one being open backed and the other closed.

Deeper bass and wider sound stage than my 58X and a different sound signature mostly. I'm leaning more towards the 4XX since i'm interested in planar but all the hifiman qc horror stories have me nervous.

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 9, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ChazTurbo posted:

Deeper bass than and wider sound stage my 58X and a different sound signature mostly. I'm leaning more towards the 4XX since i'm interested in planar but all the hifiman qc horror stories have me nervous.

Well you're a bit at odds there. The Custom One / DT770 trounces the 400i/4XX in the base department, but being a closed back can't compete with regards to sound stage. Note though that I've only listened to either through onboard audio ports, I've got an Atom coming tomorrow, so I should have a better grasp on its bass capabilities, but as is I'd call the 400i's (sub)bass response lacking, at least for bass heavy tracks (it wouldn't be my first choice to listen to Jai Paul with, for instance). OTOH the closed back of the Beyerdynamics makes it so you're always aware that the music is coming from a few inches from your ear.

FWTW the Custom Ones are my work headphones and the 400i's are at home, so I've never directly compared the two, and I haven't had much time to do any serious/critical listening to either, so I don't have any specific points to call out on either, though I can take the time if there's some facet you're really interested in. I haven't heard the 58X either, so I'm not sure how the sound signature compares.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality control, I've had the 400i for a year now and haven't had any issues, though the build quality is definitely not where I'd like a $150 purchase to be, they do feel cheap. The 4XX has the earcups attached with metal rather than plastic so it should be better in that regard.

e: If you do go with the DT770s, it appears Beyerdynamic themselves (or their USA distributor subsidiary) sells refurbs on ebay at a significant discount. The website attached to the ebay store is dead, but it and the shipped from location match the Beyerdynamic USA Inc. entitiy listed on Beyerdyamic's dealer finder. Its where I got my Custom Ones which came in brand-new packaging (complete with all the little inserts) and maybe some scuffs on the earcups. I'd check the individual listings if you go that route, some say headphone only. https://www.ebay.com/usr/bd-usa

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 9, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You can also buy refurb DT 770's on Amazon at a decent price that have a full warranty. I bought a pair but the right driver had a really bad rattle and I switched them out for the Meze 99 Neo.

They have both the 80 and 250 ohm version

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Focal Elex finally came in. This is going to be a shootout. Going to compare the Focal Elex vs Hifiman Arya vs Audeze LCD-X. I'll post up something later comparing just the Elegia to the Elex since there seem to be an impression online by some they're similar in tonality.

Same format as last time. I'll post tracks and my initial notes and impressions as I'm listening to them on each headphone and immediate comparisons that come to mind. I'll be using "harsher" reference tracks that most reviewers won't touch as I think that and music that leans heavily toward specific ranges makes it easier to judge tonality on specific headphones and differences in characteristics.

Thorsten Quaeschning, Ulrich Schnauss - Main Theme (specifically 3:40 - 4:20)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laARcJVr_ro

Focal Elex - Presents well, but mid's are too forward, the subtle vocals are force fed and aren't as subtle

Audeze LCDX - Somewhat more forward than Elex, but due to bass response, subtle vocals feel like they have more "body" to them, not thin

Hifiman Arya - Flat asf. Vocals are there, but aren't upsampled in the mix, response is linear w/ the rest of the track, also have body. Best of all worlds

Winner: Hifiman Arya

Yu-Utsu - Sun (specifically 3:00 - 3:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LIJYNvPX-M

Focal Elex - God drat, this is producing a sound similar to the Arya almost. Neutral. Bass is present, but is not as present as LCDX or Arya. Mid tones seem a little more forward, but top end extension is solid. I don't hear anything off about the treble, just flatness.

Audeze LCDX - All throughout, just this awesome tight bass and thorough full sound through the mids. Treble has some presence but higher electronic tones don't sound as full, sound pushed back a bit.

Hifiman Arya - I'm seriously considering not doing this in the comparison anymore, because there's no comparison. Top end comes out crisp and clear w/o missing a beat. You can literally hear the noise and grain from the samples that are being used in this track. Punchy bass, but not AS punchy as the LCDX, very very very close though. Unless you're a bass head, this should be your end game. Plus the added sense of a soundstage is a huge plus!

Winner: HIfiman Arya

Oneohtrix Point Never - Same

https://www.beatport.com/track/same-original-mix/10652049

Focal Elex - First signs of weakness, noticing female vocals being pushed back in the mix, and it's really really obvious. Lopatin and Anonhi should have matching complimentary volume in this region, and on the Elex they don't. On my monitors they do.

Audeze LCDX - Very good, this headphones isn't lying to me. Some grain becomes apparent on the track as you do hear points of poor sampling that was masked in some way. This also shows up in my monitors. It's not super annoying, but it's present given the overall bright nature of this track. Don't feel like I missed anything or that anything was missing.

Hifiman Arya - You really get a sense of space listening to this track. Lopatin and Anonhi having amazing complimentary voices and it really shows. Much more air and extension. Nothing sounds drowned out, just even. First track I get a sense of coolness however, and all the warts seems to show up on the track.

Winner: Hifiman Arya....this is getting stupid

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Rage - M19 (specifically 4:00 - end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-F3EQ3hYGU

Focal Elex - Passed the test, the violins didn't become veiled at the 5:00 mark. On many many headphones violins get drowned out by the Piano. This isn't something that happens on good studio monitors. However, even though they're tonally accurate, I feel like there's a slight edge missing to them compared to what I typically here whenever I'm playing my violin. Particularly on higher notes, that semi-sweet yet haunting "whine" you get on any E-string related notes...

Audeze LCDX - Also passed the test. Deeper orchestral instruments have more "body" due to the deep pass present in the headphones, Piano sounds much more full and natural as well. Definitely a "fuller" headphone compared to the Elex tonally. Surprisingly that slight whine on higher notes does come back on this headphones, but it also feels slightly pushed back. Very close to natural note, but not 100%. Definitely not entirely there, but so close it's painful.

Hifiman Arya - Just gorgeous, passed with flying colors. This was a live concert hall recording and there are binaural mics placed near Sakomoto on the Piano. It's really really really apparent on the intro to the track the separation. This is the only headphone I've heard this on (save for the HD800) that I had a room like experience listening to it. Even more amazing is that the violins came in and sounded just as they should tonally, chilling, almost piercing in some ways, but haunting w/ a slightly warm presentation in some moments.....

Winner: Hifiman Arya

Higher Brothers, Joji - Nomadic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9l3_6yNjrs

Focal Elex - It's neutral, but it's almost boring in a way in its neutrality. Good low-end, midrange sounds proper compared to, *yawn*

Audeze LCDX - You can tell that filters were applied to Joji's voice (slight autotune, subtle). Slamming bass. Very enjoyable compared to Elex w/ the bass response, full and neutral, best of both worlds.

Hifiman Arya - This isn't even a comparison by now. Solid low end, not overemphasized, full tonality, the autotune on Joji's voice is more obvious.

Winner: Tie w/ LCD-X and Arya

Night Lovell - Bad Kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksn5PC4Io7I

Focal Elex - Now I'm getting irritated. You can hear the driver distort like crazy on the low end. It's tonally correct, but weaker than the planars (duh). If I push beyond 95 dB on this track drivers literally bottom out and you can hear them clicking/clipping. Thoroughly disappointed with this. This song is all about the bass and mids. Mids are fine, but w/o the sub bass it's dead as a doornail. I will say it is better than HD650, I'll get more into it in my final impressions.

Audeze LCDX - This m'fing low-end. Holy crap. This nearly bottoms out the LCDX, you can hear the driver struggling as you push it louder, unreal. That said, the slam is super tight on, everything sounds right tonally, nothing overemphasized. Head shockingly good sub bass extension.

Hifiman Arya - Literally shaking my face w/ low-end, jfc. And wait, is that some air I'm hearing?

Reddish Blue - when i get too sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcndCSlfvSc

Focal Elex - Has sub bass, and again it distorts beyond 95dB. I'm about to rip these drat things off because of this. gently caress people who claim this is a dynamic headphone if it can't produce sub bass above 95 dB without audibly clipping or distorting! gently caress. Anyway, beyond this, the mids are good, treble is good, neutral, if not boring. I will never for the life of me why people say this is a "dynamic" headphone save for the literal driver type........... It's annoying when you're listening and the bass pops in and out just like any other pop song, only to have the damned headphone to start clipping like crazy. /rant

LCD-X - Omg, I can actually hear sub bass! Amazing!!! And the vocals are nice and crips and ooooo. Why why why why does Elex have to clip. Sub bass actually offers a nice contrast on this track. This headphones also gives away the fact that the vocals are slightly more pronounced on S and T sounds, so some sibilance existed in the mix. This is apparent on my monitors though. Nicely revealing and very enjoyable to listen to.

Arya - Plenty of sub bass, but not as slamming as the LCD-X. Sounds more like a room, but almost artificial? It's hard to describe beyond that. Soundstage is still best on these, but there's something off I can't put my finger on. Almost like the vocals are almost pushed back too much? But then again, it does sound natural at the same time. Very strange experience. However, the sound is very speaker like in nature and open, airy, and otherwise has a nice presentation.

Winner: LCD-X

Tanukichan - Lazy Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOUxW7pAhbI

Focal Elex - By far the best example of this driver performing well. Elex shines through, can crank it up w/o it distorting. Also reveals a problem I was afraid of regarding these headphones in the context of other songs..... But for this song it's great, now I'm getting a clue where people are saying "punchy" or "dynamic" regarding this headphone.

LCDX - Bass guitar comes in super well, has some real nice grunt to it. Real nice "ooompf" factor to it. Tonally it sounds just amazing and full, but not "warm" either. Just full in a really pleasant and enjoyable way.

Arya - Female vocal sounds great, everything sounds even, but it's the first track I've heard on this headphone that almost comes across as being "boring" for a lack of better words. (re: it is)

Winner: LCD-X

Final thoughts and impressions....

Focal Elex:

Super HD600, not 650, a super 600 with similar issues. Sub bass is a huge issue on this headphone. The fact I can't push the headphone itself beyond 95 dB without the driver physically starting to clip is a huge disappointment. The god damned Focal Elegia performs better than this thing in that regard. I'm w/o words disappointed for that reason alone.

That said, tonally it is more like the HD600 to my ears, very neutral. Has some air too it, but not too much. Things feel pushed back on it instead of force fed. It's enjoyable, but this goes back to the fundamental issue. If you listen to anything that isn't Classical/Orchestral, light Indie Pop, prog rock or any generic rock tracks pretty much anything in the sub bass region these drivers can't go beyond 95dB, period. It's embarassing.

Now when you adjust the volume it comes back, but the hard clip is by far the most annoying issue I've ever run into w/ a headphone. So that means no movies, games, soundtracks, electronic (of any kind), rap, hip-hop, R&B....almost any modern music made now...... yep

No wonder audiophiles love this piece of poo poo. I mean ffs on the things that I mentioned where the headphones bottomed out, my MacBook Pro speakers don't. This is beyond stupid.

To be fair, if you can live with 95dB and below forever you'll be fine to listen to anything, but it's only human to want to push volume every now and again.

Audeze LCD-X

Bassy, clean, punchy, dynamic, all the things that Audiophiles say about the Elex really apply to this headphone. It takes nothing to power it, sounds great, is relatively neutral, and makes for an enjoyable listen on almost anything. Some details are slightly masked, but it's in a good way, not in a negative sense. Excellent all around headphone, and for many people would make a perfect end-game can.

Hifiman Arya

Uh, what to say? Best all around headphone out of the lot. But then again it goes for $1600. That said, it sounds great with most anything and is by far the most revealing can. The coolest trick it does is soundstage, but more specifically it's soundstage that actually sounds like the size of the room it was being recorded in, or how wide the mastering engineer or person mixing it wanted it to sound on speakers. It's not as "wide" as the HD800(S) but it's close to it, and it is incredibly enjoyable.

Best analogy I can give for Arya is that it is like if you gave a lambda series Stax headphone some low-end in the sub bass region. We're talking about close to that level of resolution and "airiness." Fang has seriously come close to actually managing to make planar drivers thin enough and open enough that they have this sort of sound.

Arya is my end-game can, a HE-1000 V2 driver in a solid Edition X housing and it stands as probably the best value currently for the high end of headphones.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 9, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

Arya Stuff

You've got me intrigued. I'm by no means bored with my LCD-Xs (on the contrary I absolutely love them) or likely ever will want to replace them entirely but I've been trying to find another pair just for variety and was leaning towards the HD 800 S simply for the soundstage, but if the Arya is close in that aspect then I might opt for that instead because I've fallen in love with planars and it seems like they would be a good contrast to the LCD-X's strengths.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

You've got me intrigued. I'm by no means bored with my LCD-Xs (on the contrary I absolutely love them) or likely ever will want to replace them entirely but I've been trying to find another pair just for variety and was leaning towards the HD 800 S simply for the soundstage, but if the Arya is close in that aspect then I might opt for that instead because I've fallen in love with planars and it seems like they would be a good contrast to the LCD-X's strengths.

honestly they're perfectly contrasting cans. it's not HD800S wide (nothing is). but it's the closest I've heard yet from a headphone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

:staredog:

Love your headphone comparisons but holy poo poo don't go deaf too quickly.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

ItBreathes posted:

Well you're a bit at odds there. The Custom One / DT770 trounces the 400i/4XX in the base department, but being a closed back can't compete with regards to sound stage. Note though that I've only listened to either through onboard audio ports, I've got an Atom coming tomorrow, so I should have a better grasp on its bass capabilities, but as is I'd call the 400i's (sub)bass response lacking, at least for bass heavy tracks (it wouldn't be my first choice to listen to Jai Paul with, for instance). OTOH the closed back of the Beyerdynamics makes it so you're always aware that the music is coming from a few inches from your ear.

FWTW the Custom Ones are my work headphones and the 400i's are at home, so I've never directly compared the two, and I haven't had much time to do any serious/critical listening to either, so I don't have any specific points to call out on either, though I can take the time if there's some facet you're really interested in. I haven't heard the 58X either, so I'm not sure how the sound signature compares.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality control, I've had the 400i for a year now and haven't had any issues, though the build quality is definitely not where I'd like a $150 purchase to be, they do feel cheap. The 4XX has the earcups attached with metal rather than plastic so it should be better in that regard.

e: If you do go with the DT770s, it appears Beyerdynamic themselves (or their USA distributor subsidiary) sells refurbs on ebay at a significant discount. The website attached to the ebay store is dead, but it and the shipped from location match the Beyerdynamic USA Inc. entitiy listed on Beyerdyamic's dealer finder. Its where I got my Custom Ones which came in brand-new packaging (complete with all the little inserts) and maybe some scuffs on the earcups. I'd check the individual listings if you go that route, some say headphone only. https://www.ebay.com/usr/bd-usa

Appreciate the advice. Didn't know about the refurbished models. Really like them for that price so I may just end up getting the 4XX and 770 later down the line. Would anyone have any on hand experience with the differences between the 770, 880 and 990.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Puddin posted:

What's the best all around over ear Bluetooth headphone for around $200?

Preferably with a 3.5mm jack as a fall back option.

I've used Sony mdr10rbt, original Parrot zik phones, and plantronics backbeat pro 2s longterm

I'd recommend anything you can get from the Sony mdr line whole heartedly, though they are a little fragile at the earcup hinge.

The Parrot ziks sounded good when powered, but like total rear end otherwise. The company has horrible customer service, and when the crazy amount of technology in it fails they'll ignore you.

The backbeat pro 2 is 80 percent of the way to mdr1 headphones sound wise, they are comfortable enough, the battery lasts over 20 hours on a single charge, and you can pair to two seperate devices at the same time. What you give up for all this is decent feeling controls and aesthetics.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

Appreciate the advice. Didn't know about the refurbished models. Really like them for that price so I may just end up getting the 4XX and 770 later down the line. Would anyone have any on hand experience with the differences between the 770, 880 and 990.

770 are closed back
880 is partially open
990 is open

I have the 770 and 990. I imagine the 880s are less open then 990s but I don't understand how you have a semi-open back headphone. I use the 770s at work to drown everything out and the 990s at home. Looking for feedback on anything in particular?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've never tried to clip my Elex, but I know the clipping point is beyond where it is physically painful/discomforting to me.

I've already got hella tinnitus, a headphone that sounds amazing and also won't let you blow your ears out is a plus to me

I do also love the Hifiman sound, and my HE6se are my daily drivers, but the Elex are very close for a fraction of the price.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mariooncrack posted:

770 are closed back
880 is partially open
990 is open

I have the 770 and 990. I imagine the 880s are less open then 990s but I don't understand how you have a semi-open back headphone

So the 880s, instead of mesh earpiece they are solid metal with tiny holes to let the air in. Definitely a lot less bleeding but I have the non-DJ version so the clamp force is basically non existent and don’t give a good seal for me. Fucker’s are tanks though

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I can't find my Monks so I started poking around for the new hotness in cheap but surprisingly great earbuds.

I landed on these: The FAAEAL Snow-lotus.

God drat if this isn't the very pinnacle of chi-fi weirdness.

They're basically Monks, but better. Mild V signature, soundstage is much narrower but imaging is better. Way better bass extension. Vocals especially are much cleaner. It passes my treble torture test of playing Art Angels by Grimes at high volume without making my teeth crack.

They just sound great. Not just "great for $10 earbuds", but great. Even better is the cable, which is this bizarre, twisted thing that behaves more like a chain than a cord. It always lies straight no matter what. I want every cable to be this.

Note: You may not use the FAAEAL Snow-lotus without holding them aloft and with a strong, high, loud voice invoking thrice their ancient name: "FAAEAL. FAAEAL. FAAEAL." Once they are activated in this way and given time to cool, they are safe to use.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

mariooncrack posted:

770 are closed back
880 is partially open
990 is open

I have the 770 and 990. I imagine the 880s are less open then 990s but I don't understand how you have a semi-open back headphone. I use the 770s at work to drown everything out and the 990s at home. Looking for feedback on anything in particular?

Mostly in terms of how each sounds if possible.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

DancingShade posted:

:staredog:

Love your headphone comparisons but holy poo poo don't go deaf too quickly.

people tend to get a bit dramatic about this. I've regularly gone in for hearing tests and my hearing still goes to around 20Khz, which is stupid annoying at times. I intentionally keep my overall exposure levels low when stress testing gear.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

and on that note, sale thread for Audeze LCD-X is up. sad to let this go, but I really have no reason to keep it as part of my setup now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881834

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can't find my Monks so I started poking around for the new hotness in cheap but surprisingly great earbuds.

I landed on these: The FAAEAL Snow-lotus.

God drat if this isn't the very pinnacle of chi-fi weirdness.

They're basically Monks, but better. Mild V signature, soundstage is much narrower but imaging is better. Way better bass extension. Vocals especially are much cleaner. It passes my treble torture test of playing Art Angels by Grimes at high volume without making my teeth crack.

They just sound great. Not just "great for $10 earbuds", but great. Even better is the cable, which is this bizarre, twisted thing that behaves more like a chain than a cord. It always lies straight no matter what. I want every cable to be this.

Note: You may not use the FAAEAL Snow-lotus without holding them aloft and with a strong, high, loud voice invoking thrice their ancient name: "FAAEAL. FAAEAL. FAAEAL." Once they are activated in this way and given time to cool, they are safe to use.

I have the Snow Lotus 1.0+, and they are pretty glorious. I think I paid $10 for mine on aliexpress. They cost a couple bucks more and have a different cable than the one you got, not sure if they otherwise sound the same.

There are a handful of really good cheap earbuds right now. The RY4S is really good for a more strong v-shape signature for $10. Might not be a good choice for you personally, it might fail a treble torture test. Fengru EMX500s and Yincrow RW-9 are both somewhere in the middle of the Snow Lotus and RY4S in terms of overall signature and are both good, I got both of those for less than $15 each.

The best earbud purchase I've made is the Willsound Mk2 for ~$40 shipped. It legitimately does sound a different class of earbud compared to all of the cheaper ones I have (it's good to not feel ripped off, ha). Only complaint with the tuning is that the mid-bass is boosted too much, but messing with the fit can easily compensate for that.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

trem_two posted:

The best earbud purchase I've made is the Willsound Mk2 for ~$40 shipped. It legitimately does sound a different class of earbud compared to all of the cheaper ones I have (it's good to not feel ripped off, ha). Only complaint with the tuning is that the mid-bass is boosted too much, but messing with the fit can easily compensate for that.

Have been noodling this purchase for a while. He has the mk3 with jcv out right now that supposed to be great.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Have been noodling this purchase for a while. He has the mk3 with jcv out right now that supposed to be great.

Based on their descriptions of the various models, and knowing what the Mk2 actually sounds like now, I think the Mk3 would probably be my choice if I were buying now.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

5-HT posted:

Night Lovell - Bad Kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksn5PC4Io7I

Focal Elex - Now I'm getting irritated. You can hear the driver distort like crazy on the low end. It's tonally correct, but weaker than the planars (duh). If I push beyond 95 dB on this track drivers literally bottom out and you can hear them clicking/clipping. Thoroughly disappointed with this. This song is all about the bass and mids. Mids are fine, but w/o the sub bass it's dead as a doornail. I will say it is better than HD650, I'll get more into it in my final impressions.

Audeze LCDX - This m'fing low-end. Holy crap. This nearly bottoms out the LCDX, you can hear the driver struggling as you push it louder, unreal. That said, the slam is super tight on, everything sounds right tonally, nothing overemphasized. Head shockingly good sub bass extension.

Hifiman Arya - Literally shaking my face w/ low-end, jfc. And wait, is that some air I'm hearing?

I just listened to this track on my LCD-Xs and JDS Labs Atom and holy poo poo that bass lmfao. It's absolutely ridiculous.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

PSA: gently caress Jaybirds lol

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
haha, 2 years is a lifetime for a chinese manufacture

goondolences

[edit] that rap track, holy poo poo does that poo poo suck

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 12, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm trying to find some new headphones (or rather in-ear buds), but I'm having a hell of a time find the right ones. I picked up the Sony WF-1000X ones, which have excellent sound quality and noise cancelling - not to mention some control via buttons. But they're a fail on every other level. It takes multiple tries to get both buds to turn on at the same time, so I'm always listening to stuff only out of my left year for the first 30 seconds or so. And sync when watching videos on my iPhone and MacBook is horrific (oddly enough, the sync is even worse on my iPhone than my Mac!)

So, I'm trying to find the ideal replacement once I return them tomorrow...

- Bluetooth
- Proper video sync (I never had problems with my Beats X3 or AirPods on any of my devices - Apple or otherwise)
- In-ear for minimal isolation since I travel by plane often
- Good charge time

My ideal earbuds would basically be the Sony WF-1000X if they had the guts of the Beats or AirPods.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm trying to find some new headphones (or rather in-ear buds), but I'm having a hell of a time find the right ones. I picked up the Sony WF-1000X ones, which have excellent sound quality and noise cancelling - not to mention some control via buttons. But they're a fail on every other level. It takes multiple tries to get both buds to turn on at the same time, so I'm always listening to stuff only out of my left year for the first 30 seconds or so. And sync when watching videos on my iPhone and MacBook is horrific (oddly enough, the sync is even worse on my iPhone than my Mac!)

So, I'm trying to find the ideal replacement once I return them tomorrow...

- Bluetooth
- Proper video sync (I never had problems with my Beats X3 or AirPods on any of my devices - Apple or otherwise)
- In-ear for minimal isolation since I travel by plane often
- Good charge time

My ideal earbuds would basically be the Sony WF-1000X if they had the guts of the Beats or AirPods.

sadly there's no go BT solution that completely eliminates lag between audio/video. most websites (like youtube/netflix/etc) have compensation algorithms they use to account for delays.

apple products don't have this issue in their ecosystem because of the means by which they pair which is based on a proprietary system based on their W1 chip. this is why beats and apple products don't have these issues.

best option is still going to be apple airpods unless/until there's something else released. the drop issues are inherent to the design of many "true wireless" earbud designs.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

5-HT posted:

and on that note, sale thread for Audeze LCD-X is up. sad to let this go, but I really have no reason to keep it as part of my setup now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881834

on another note these have been dropped to $950. pricing them to move.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

PSA: gently caress Jaybirds lol

how in the gently caress is that legal

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

how in the gently caress is that legal

Your mistake is assuming everyone plays by the same set of rules.

It's nice of them to say their products are expected to fail after 2 years though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

5-HT posted:

Too bad I just bought those LCD-2's.

Is there any way to make the headband more comfortable without upgrading to the newer suspension style?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ordered a set of Kanas Pro IEMs. Now to wait a month or 2. lol

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I got a Radsone ES100 wireless DAC/amp this week. This thing is excellent. I didn't even know my phone supported the LDAC codec, but as soon as the device paired that's what it was set to.

It sounds amazing, and the built in mic now allows me to not have to worry about buying crappy cables with mics for my IEMs. I'm going to order a couple of balanced cables to give that output a try.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Id buy that as well if I didn't already have an LG G7 which has the sabre quad dac. It does allow you to get around this whole lack of headphone jack bullshit though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

Is there any way to make the headband more comfortable without upgrading to the newer suspension style?

The only alternative I can think of are trying some Dekoni "headphone nuggets"

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-nuggets-headphone-headband-pressure-relief-pads-4-pack/

I haven't tried them myself but the idea seems pretty sound. Leave a small gap in the middle Sennheiser HD650 headband foam style and see how it goes?

Much cheaper than buying the Audeze suspension headband. Worst case you'll have to buy one anyway.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

5-HT posted:

drat! If my company didn't lose out on bonuses this year I would have been all over that.

What's a good office friendly closed back headphone ~$100? My HD58X leaks a little too much for my taste. I'm eyeing the AT M40x since its on sale on Amazon but I'm open to other, more comfortable options.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This might be a little lower-end than you want but a couple of people at work (myself included) use Status Audio CB-1s and they don't leak. I'm not sure how they compare to the M40x

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

fknlo posted:

not really, i've tried the carbon fiber headband btw. it's stupid stupid light. if I was going to keep and upgrade my lcd-x i'd definitely opt for it.

Sacred Cow posted:

drat! If my company didn't lose out on bonuses this year I would have been all over that.

What's a good office friendly closed back headphone ~$100? My HD58X leaks a little too much for my taste. I'm eyeing the AT M40x since its on sale on Amazon but I'm open to other, more comfortable options.

$100 is where you're going to have issues. if you have just a hair of wiggle room you can pick up a beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm for $130 or less easily.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RichterIX posted:

This might be a little lower-end than you want but a couple of people at work (myself included) use Status Audio CB-1s and they don't leak. I'm not sure how they compare to the M40x

Better in every way, except somewhat uglier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

5-HT posted:

not really, i've tried the carbon fiber headband btw. it's stupid stupid light. if I was going to keep and upgrade my lcd-x i'd definitely opt for it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale on this. Provided it goes on sale of course.

DancingShade posted:

The only alternative I can think of are trying some Dekoni "headphone nuggets"

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-nuggets-headphone-headband-pressure-relief-pads-4-pack/

I haven't tried them myself but the idea seems pretty sound. Leave a small gap in the middle Sennheiser HD650 headband foam style and see how it goes?

Much cheaper than buying the Audeze suspension headband. Worst case you'll have to buy one anyway.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at those.