Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it was aliens, mothership zeta confirms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The president in Fallout 2 said "we barely got our birds up in time", but there's no particular reason he'd know the truth.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwitchbladeKult posted:

And it was mediocre both financially and critically?

I wouldn't take how good or bad redguard did with regard to anything.

He then went on to make Morrowind, Fallout 3, and then Skyrim. He was just a producer for Oblivion. I would say Oblivion was the elder scrolls big jump from game no one played to something and he wasn't the lead director for it. Then as time went on as the modding community kept getting bigger for Oblivion(or maybe just around long enough) when Skyrim came out there was like no way people wouldn't play it with the graphics updates. Skyrim then just pushed it over the top with it being made even easier(difficulty wise) and pushed the series into super popular.

I had a friend that when tried I talked to them about Oblivion coming out he at first said "elder scrolls those games are lame. In Morrowind, I went into a house and picked up a pillow and then the guards murdered me". Turn around when Oblivion came out to pester me to let him borrow the cds so he can install from the goon rush to the game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 14, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
poor old freckles, picked up a pillow and died

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i flunked out posted:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/322465/upcoming-maintenance-and-duped-item-removals-feb-14-2019?language=en

They finally figured out how to remove duped items lol. This is going to be entertaining

oh boy with their track record of flawless patching...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rinkles posted:

People duped fluxes, we see that you also have fluxes, using the transitive property of lovely dev work, your fluxes are duped and have been removed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gonna laugh when they remove everybody's legit stuff and accidentally delete a quarter or the map.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

they call it "Valentine Day Massacre" in the red dits

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
We erased 76. What game? What orders? We don't know what you're talking about. Now, please clap as Todd Howard talks about our new game - Fallout 77.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Crabtree posted:

We erased 76. What game? What orders? We don't know what you're talking about. Now, please clap as Todd Howard talks about our new game - Fallout 77.

It’s gonna be really interesting to see what their next big event conference will look like. I kind of assume that they’ll just ignore 76 which would be awkward as hell, and I’m kind of loving the idea of that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Crabtree posted:

I would, no lie, completely play Fallout 75, the single-player alternate-universe prequel to Fallout 76, where everybody's mostly still alive except for the hugging skeletons and you're a low-level member of some faction who went to see if this new vault could help deal with the Scorched and found the last CAMP and Pip-Boy after the liberator-bots shot up all the clueless newbies and stripped them for parts.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BigglesSWE posted:

It’s gonna be really interesting to see what their next big event conference will look like. I kind of assume that they’ll just ignore 76 which would be awkward as hell, and I’m kind of loving the idea of that.

I am sure they can find some fancy statistic, "best selling game in history on the besthedia store' or something that sounds good if you don't think about it. Then move on.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
"Bethesda game with the most essays written for it"

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

BigglesSWE posted:

Todd will just make another passive aggressive joke about it and move on

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Glazius posted:

I would, no lie, completely play Fallout 75, the single-player alternate-universe prequel to Fallout 76, where everybody's mostly still alive except for the hugging skeletons and you're a low-level member of some faction who went to see if this new vault could help deal with the Scorched and found the last CAMP and Pip-Boy after the liberator-bots shot up all the clueless newbies and stripped them for parts.

It's frustrating. There's an interesting single player game that could exist but is buried under piles of bugs, rushed design, dumb multiplayer compromises, and monetization strategies.

This could have been a Fallout flavored STALKER, less story than a real Fallout game, but more of a sandbox with a focus on faction conflict and weird locations and enemies. Keep the perk cards, reduce the duplicates, and treat them like artifacts. No stats or level ups, just gear and perks.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BillyC posted:

Todd will just make another passive aggressive joke about it and move on

I'd imagine at most it will be something like this:

"As you know, last year we released our first fallout online multiplayer game, and a lot of people were divided on what to think about it. You might say there was some fallout from it (pause for awkward, forced laughter) We've taken lessons on what we did and applied it going forward to Starfield and blah blah blah."

They avoid conceding that they screwed the pooch, throw the blame on everyone that got upset, and tell us that they aren't undoing all the stupid stuff they've tacked onto their game engine.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Todd Howard saunters on to the stage, visibly grinning though he seems to be trying to eat his lips as he does it. The audience hushes quiet. "So.." he says, raising his arms and letting them fall back to his hips. "THAT happened." The crowd erupts in laughter and cheers as his teeth break thru his smile. He lets the applause carry out for all that it's worth. "We've made some mistakes, but today.. Today I'm here to talk about the future." Todd reveals starfield, an open world rpg with a voiced protagonist, factions, dungeons and settlement crafting. "We've listened loud and clear. Starfield is a game that plays to our strengths. We at Bethesda, we like these kind of games as much as you do." The crowd literally cums, just cumming hard, like throwin rope everywhere, Todd Howard makes a billion dollars right then and there, and it's just money and cum goin everywhere like fuckin crazy,

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
be my pip boy

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
you're cazadorable!!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Only 116 days until E3 2019. We'll see if either Todd or Pete Hines bother to pop out of whatever hidey hole they've been in since October.

Does Bethesda have any presence at any other conferences? GDC is in a month I think then it's quiet through the rest of spring.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
I would have been into 76 if it had a moddable offline mode. Just running around exploring is fun and definitely the bread and butter of their games. But Zeni wants that MT money so it probably always be online and I cant do vanilla Beth games.

Thing is, if Beth just owned up to loving up 76's launch and some of the design choices it would generate a decent amount of goodwill. The company has way to much pride for their own good, Skyrim really went to their heads.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
dogmeetcute

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i love star boy

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1rceuzuDmE

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's no real lore on who actually shot first aside from

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

it was aliens, mothership zeta confirms

Which I choose to ignore because wow Bethesda way to undercut the entire premise of the loving IP. "Oh actually it isn't because the nature of war or humans it was just aliens lol"

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/322679/duped-items-removed-feb-14-2019

It seems like they actually did it in a way that makes sense I guess? They looked for commonly duped items, and if you had more than one of those duped items, they got rid of all but one. Idk, that actually sounds like a reasonable way of getting rid of duped items, and if they could do these sweeps often, a kind of effective way of slowing duping to a crawl...

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

i flunked out posted:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/322679/duped-items-removed-feb-14-2019

It seems like they actually did it in a way that makes sense I guess? They looked for commonly duped items, and if you had more than one of those duped items, they got rid of all but one. Idk, that actually sounds like a reasonable way of getting rid of duped items, and if they could do these sweeps often, a kind of effective way of slowing duping to a crawl...

So it does loving nothing to people who got one copy of an OP weapon from a duper? lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BMan posted:

So it does loving nothing to people who got one copy of an OP weapon from a duper? lol

Bethesda items dont have unique reference values. You dont have gun #1939292 you have pipe gun + mod + ammo attached variables. This doesnt matter for a single player game. For a multiplayer game you usually tie instanced items to a specific ref string and log it somewhere. Logging is computationally cheap. And unique refs prevent obvious dupes if you attempt to make an item with two of the same ref -> error.

Not in fo76 lol

Talk about woefully unprepared

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, but knowing bethesda that probably carried too much into regular items too. Say good bye to the 3 several hundred pound bobbies you could carry. They got condensed into a one ton already broken one!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
all my pip boys except one are gone :(

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Donovan Trip posted:

Todd Howard saunters on to the stage, visibly grinning though he seems to be trying to eat his lips as he does it. The audience hushes quiet. "So.." he says, raising his arms and letting them fall back to his hips. "THAT happened." The crowd erupts in laughter and cheers as his teeth break thru his smile. He lets the applause carry out for all that it's worth. "We've made some mistakes, but today.. Today I'm here to talk about the future." Todd reveals starfield, an open world rpg with a voiced protagonist, factions, dungeons and settlement crafting. "We've listened loud and clear. Starfield is a game that plays to our strengths. We at Bethesda, we like these kind of games as much as you do." The crowd literally cums, just cumming hard, like throwin rope everywhere, Todd Howard makes a billion dollars right then and there, and it's just money and cum goin everywhere like fuckin crazy,

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Donovan Trip posted:

“Throwing rope” made me laugh. Thanks Donny!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
So did they actually patch the method for duping the items or just delete ones they think were created by it? Normally I'd say the first is a given, but this is FO76, so my expectations are further underground than pip boy's house.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
To be honest im not even sure they can completely patch duping methods.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
From what I recall, most duping methods exploited the saving mechanic that the servers have to stop you from losing everything in your inventory in case of a server crash...

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Grizzwold posted:

So did they actually patch the method for duping the items or just delete ones they think were created by it? Normally I'd say the first is a given, but this is FO76, so my expectations are further underground than pip boy's house.

They're just deleting stacks of items. The actual patch comes next week.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fallout 76 players online

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Fallout 76 days since anyone's bought it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Fallout 53 metacritic score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU