Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The discourse about the Lunar Exaltation giving an easy transition to people with gender dysphoria in the Exalted discord server is weird to me. Having gender dysphoria is one of the more unpleasant things in my life, why wouldn't I want to play the splat that has the easiest time having it dealt with? I'm not exactly interested in playing out having to find a trustworthy sorcerer or learn it myself to get my body where I want it to be since it reminds me of the poo poo I gotta go through IRL (scrounging for money to afford basic medical stuff and lawyers to help get my documents changed sucks even if the end results are good), and if I were to change my mind (which I admit can happen sometimes, sometimes I get into different moods that I want to explore), I'd just play another type of Exalted like a Solar to experience that rather than the one that just has it happen via default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah tabletop rpgs are good for transpeople because they can like just be a character from the gender they want to become with no problem instead of having to suffer through the process they do IRL.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It definitely feels like Lunars are written with "let's appeal to trans folks, nonbinary people, and the generally gender-nonconformant" in mind.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SunAndSpring posted:

The discourse about the Lunar Exaltation giving an easy transition to people with gender dysphoria in the Exalted discord server is weird to me. Having gender dysphoria is one of the more unpleasant things in my life, why wouldn't I want to play the splat that has the easiest time having it dealt with? I'm not exactly interested in playing out having to find a trustworthy sorcerer or learn it myself to get my body where I want it to be since it reminds me of the poo poo I gotta go through IRL (scrounging for money to afford basic medical stuff and lawyers to help get my documents changed sucks even if the end results are good), and if I were to change my mind (which I admit can happen sometimes, sometimes I get into different moods that I want to explore), I'd just play another type of Exalted like a Solar to experience that rather than the one that just has it happen via default.

What is the discourse, do people object for some reason?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

What is the discourse, do people object for some reason?

There was another trans woman who voiced the belief that it's too easy and cheapens her IRL transition. It's a valid argument, but ultimately I just feel like it's fine to have one splat out of the 10 canon ones just have their transition happen instantly with no fuss or stress because while some people may want to play through that and thus spend the effort and explore the mechanical effects of learning sorcery or learning the charm path that allows one to change their true form's body traits, there are trans people who just want some escapism from how truly frustrating social, legal, and medical transition can be in real life and it's good that the splat of the very god of gender-fluidity in Exalted grants just that.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It seems to me that there could, and in past editions iirc there were, Lunars who don't feel satisfied with any one shape. Someone who wants to feel a more "difficult" life as a Lunar would probably experience something like that. I mean iirc they usually tend towards chimerism but I forget if that's like becoming an insane john carpenter monster or not.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SunAndSpring posted:

There was another trans woman who voiced the belief that it's too easy and cheapens her IRL transition. It's a valid argument, but ultimately I just feel like it's fine to have one splat out of the 10 canon ones just have their transition happen instantly with no fuss or stress because while some people may want to play through that and thus spend the effort and explore the mechanical effects of learning sorcery or learning the charm path that allows one to change their true form's body traits, there are trans people who just want some escapism from how truly frustrating social, legal, and medical transition can be in real life and it's good that the splat of the very god of gender-fluidity in Exalted grants just that.

Yeah, it seems fine/appropriate to me. There are definitely things that could hypothetically be cheapened/made too easy by overly generous Exalted mechanics but I'd populate that list with stuff like "immortality" or "class struggle".

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Well said.

Also Lunars for the first time looks good. Dropped 120 on it.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I'm glad this one seems less....edgelordy....than previous ones, Raski aside.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Just four hundred and fifty dollars to add long furbies to the setting.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bedlamdan posted:

It's just, her write-up leaves me unconvinced that it is entirely an act so much as her playing up what is already an underlying insanity, or at the very least that while she is definitely saner and savvier than past depictions I still wouldn't really call her benevolent or mentally stable.

None of the elder Lunars are supposed to be particularly benevolent. The whole 'everyone is a bit of a jerk and tyrant' thing still exists in Exalted 3e in regards to that. Most of them, Raksi included, just have reasons for their tyrant atrocities, and positives to go with their negatives, instead of the lunar elders being as evil as the Deathlords.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Seems “stable”, just genocidally ruthless and a flair for dramatic cruelty in service of the same.

pork never goes bad posted:

Just four hundred and fifty dollars to add long furbies to the setting.

Oh man...

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

TwoQuestions posted:

I'm glad this one seems less....edgelordy....than previous ones, Raski aside.

If nothing else, I appreciate that it is clearly Raksi trying too hard rather than the writers, and that her checklist of colonialist “barbarism” tropes is because she sort of is a colonialist and she’s playing to type which is honestly kinda insensitive and alienating to the younger Lunars. Like she’s a Lord Humungous or an Auntie Entity or an Immortan Joe on her audacious post-apocalyptic skull-throne and meanwhile Lunar Mad Max is down there in the wasteland just trying to survive.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

None of the elder Lunars are supposed to be particularly benevolent. The whole 'everyone is a bit of a jerk and tyrant' thing still exists in Exalted 3e in regards to that. Most of them, Raksi included, just have reasons for their tyrant atrocities, and positives to go with their negatives, instead of the lunar elders being as evil as the Deathlords.

Yeah, that's largely where I am re: Raksi. She's still hardly anything sane but at least more pragmatic and not senselessly malevolent anymore.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Bedlamdan posted:

Yeah, that's largely where I am re: Raksi. She's still hardly anything sane but at least more pragmatic and not senselessly malevolent anymore.

I think it’s more that calling Raksi “crazy” is an insult to people with actual mental health problems, in the same way that it’s offensive to dismiss Trump and Kim Jong Un as crazy because while they might have diagnosable personality disorders, “murderous tyranny” is not an uncontrollable medical condition.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Can someone please jumpstart my memory and give some examples of movie characters that reflect a ridiculous social pool? I've got charisma, presence, and socialize all at 5, I'm just having a hard time translating it. Need a reference point or 5.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Have they indicated what Martial Arts styles are going to be in this one?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I ride bikes all day posted:

Can someone please jumpstart my memory and give some examples of movie characters that reflect a ridiculous social pool? I've got charisma, presence, and socialize all at 5, I'm just having a hard time translating it. Need a reference point or 5.

Ricky from TPB has Manipulate 5 with a specialty on tricking cops.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

Ricky from TPB has Manipulate 5 with a specialty on tricking cops.

Ricky is a born Changing Moon. shame about the Int 1

tbh, the TPBoys make a fine all-castes lunar pack. ricky's the changing moon, julian's the full moon, bubbles is the no moon, corey and trevor are their beastfolk sidekicks

Zorro's probably the epitome of a high-charisma swashbuckler, with presence for playing to the crowd and socialize for getting around in high society. in real life Napoleon Bonaparte could focus the attention of a whole room with a few words and gestures, to say nothing of the effect his pre-battle harangues could have on his soldiers. if someone tried to stat out David Bowie as an Exalted character he'd have charisma, presence and performance through the roof.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Desiden posted:

Have they indicated what Martial Arts styles are going to be in this one?

Falcon
Centipede
Swaying Grass Dance
Laughing Monster (adapted from the raksha)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Centipede style?! Sounds gross. I like it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Hannibal Lecter, the High Sparrow, Palpatine, James Bond, any Star Trek captain, Jack Sparrow, any of the Oceans 11 leads, I can keep going. Just think of someone who’s really cool or good at lying or making people do what they want. Or all three.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I'm new to this extortion style of publishing, what would have happened if they weren't funded?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I think it’s more that calling Raksi “crazy” is an insult to people with actual mental health problems, in the same way that it’s offensive to dismiss Trump and Kim Jong Un as crazy because while they might have diagnosable personality disorders, “murderous tyranny” is not an uncontrollable medical condition.

As someone with mental health problems (and I very much doubt I'm alone here given the prevalence of some sort of disorder diagnosis in a large percentage of the population) I feel like it is entirely acceptable to call Raksi crazy, because "crazy" is wholly a social construct related to the judgment of behaviors undertaken in a society, not physical properties of the brain. Ableism is a large problem online/in our society in general but this particular argument always feels to me like it achieves precisely the opposite of what it's trying to do

Are there people who intentionally try to conflate the two for ableist reasons, such as lawmakers who propose to respond to mass shooters with mental health waiting lists/bans? There are, but the problem there is not that those people are engaging in ableist behavior because they're actually confused about the difference between having a mental health disorder and committing an atrocity and need better education on the matter; they're doing it because they lack the political will or interest to actually solve the root problem of the atrocities (access to firearms and the structure of our hellish society itself), and are acting in supreme bad faith.

Basically I am skeptical of the proposition that I, a person with clinical depression and a couple minor personality disorders, am supposed to respond to "this person who eats live children is crazy" with "that's MY word," because in fact it isn't; I am not crazy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
They went into the kickstarters with a good idea of how much they will raise beforehand. But if it didn’t meet the minimum requirements then they probably wouldn’t release the book at all, or it would be something without art or whatever based strictly on the work that’s already been invested.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'm new to this extortion style of publishing, what would have happened if they weren't funded?

Technically the KS is for funding the 'Deluxe Edition' - so there would only be a PDF and POD version of Lunars, with less art, fewer charms, etc. The Kickstarter is used both to get a sizeable chunk of presales and to justify the Deluxe printing, as far as I can tell, with funding going over used to subsidize plumping up the extras and the companion piece.

I like how they're doing Companions rather than offering to increase the size of the book itself - effectively the companion is an expansion to the book, but we can get the book on a reasonable timescale and the companion is done when it's done. Rather than waiting for-loving-ever like the Ex3 Core.

That being said I would really like the Dragon-Blooded Companion to be in proofs ASAP, like the Realm companion book, because they look fantastic - I'm just glad they're not the same as the DB book which is definitely usable without them.

I wouldn't call the KS model perfect, but it clearly allows them to make the books bigger, and they seem to have figured out a way to do that without making them take forever.

E: Also, on the question of how to describe people acting bizarrely, I have friends with mental illness who do in fact find it really upsetting when dictators/awful politicians/mass murderers are called that. So, there's that. Secondly, the term really undermines both our ability to think about the actual reasoning behind the atrocious decisions in question and to place full moral weight on the perpetrators: Raksi isn't being irrational, she's being callous and pursuing her goals in a way she thinks will work. Someone can be wrong about what's effective while still in control of their own decisions, and the claim that evil is always irrational is used to excuse the factors that allow it more than it's used to condemn it.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 14, 2019

Five
Jan 6, 2009

I have never said this before.

My current game might have too many faces.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Does OP own Exalted outright? Or is it still owned by Paradox/WW and they just publish for it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ego Trip posted:

Does OP own Exalted outright? Or is it still owned by Paradox/WW and they just publish for it.

The latter. OPP owns Scion and the Aeon Continuum; Paradox/WW owns the WoD, CoD, and Exalted.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

oh, thanks

I was thinking of breaking back into Exalted for nostalgia's sake. But lol Paradox/WW ain't getting my money.

Ego Trip fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 14, 2019

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Ego Trip posted:

oh, thanks

I was thinking of breaking back into Exalted for nostalgia's sake. But lol Paradox/WW ain't getting my money.

Why not?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Gonna take an educated guess and say it's to do with Vampire 5th Edition.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Decision makers at WW are/were garbage people and Paradox either condoned or ignored that. Beast, V5, defending Zak S., etc.

Way too lovely of a company to give money to for RPG books to read on the shiter.

OPP has seemed cool since Holden and Morke, uh, left, though.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Looks like they're doing Charms previews every Friday for the Lunars KS. They sent out a preview update with a couple in them and I gotta say, getting a floating 1/day free full excellency for any Attribute roll at Essence 3 so long as you're willing to roleplay your character in your roleplaying game is a pretty sweet deal.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
At this rate I feel like every splat is just going to be more interesting and fun to play than a Solar.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SunAndSpring posted:

At this rate I feel like every splat is just going to be more interesting and fun to play than a Solar.

I think that was inevitable from the start. Being the corebook splat means the devs are developing those charms at the same time they're developing the core charm tech, before they've worked out all the kinks in the system or understand it well enough to do anything interesting with it. And having to share page count with the rest of the rules can't help.

Maybe we'll see a Solars 3.5 three or four years down the line.

e: I'm side-eyeing these novels and wondering, uh, just how bored do I need to be?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 14, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I don't mind Solars being kind of the generic strongest Exalts; it means individual players who have less specifically splat-based concepts will gravitate towards playing out their concept in Solars.
That plus 'best at Evocations' means there's a clear space for Solar Exalted play, but it's not particularly dominant.

Personally I see Solars' niche as a chance to play a culture hero from any culture in Creation with minimal outside splat concerns besides 'war with the major imperial power' which... should be inevitable, really, as a culture hero of anywhere outside the Realm.

Though, well, we'll see how things go - I remember polls seeming to show that the majority of games in late 2e, when Solars were transparently less interesting or well-constructed than Alchemicals or Infernals, were mono-splat Solars. So it's possible that Solars will continue to be 'on top' in most game groups, even as other splats have better specific thematic and mechanical support.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

e: I'm side-eyeing these novels and wondering, uh, just how bored do I need to be?

I'm just about done with "Circle of Protection" and it's... painfully formulaic? Characters all out of central casting, blankly functional prose, plot beats all on schedule, very novelization style overall.Which should probably be expected for a licensed novel, except that I thought a lot of the short stories from the collection weren't that, despite some of their flaws. (I haven't read any other liscensed fiction in this universe, such as the earlier novels or, for that matter, fanfic although I'm sure there must be some genuinely good and/or grotesquely bad stuff out there.) Also slightly odd to combine that with probably one of the most distinct and esoteric parts of Creation.

I may get around to some non-licensed fiction on the strength of the recommendations, like "Tiger's Daughter," though, and expect that to fare better.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Solars are an excellent base splat for the corebook who are generic enough to encompass almost any concept and lethal enough to be made-to-order keynote villains for other splat play (them being more singularly powerful in white room fights is a BENEFIT here, not a drawback), and I really hope we don't spend the entire Lunar kickstarter talking about our problems with the Solars as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Solars are going to always suffer through 3e for the decision by Holden and Morke that people leaking the second leak document meant they were done play testing and editing and releasing it as is.

Multiple major systems didn't get any play testing feedback due to this. This included the craft system and charmset, bureaucracy, and integrity charm trees.

Not to mention that a lot of changes they intended to put in were just never put in due to the fan base not 'deserving' more work, due to the leaks.