Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

National emergencies for all the things! We'll keep using "President" as the official title of the office, just like "Consul" in the Roman Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Sanguinia posted:

Why are people talking poo poo about people voting for this funding bill like Sinema and Jones? It's great that the New Dems are standing on the Not One Dollar line, I'm plenty pissed about new fencing in any amount. But if this doesn't pass because of a lack of Dem votes it will be an incredible political coup for the Rs. Anyone who thinks the narrative in that situation would not be Obstruction Dems Responsible For Second Shutdown are dreaming.

Theres still a very good chance that Trump will veto this and blow everything up in his face, and even if he passes it there's going to be a lot of eating each other in chudland over the "insult" of the compromise, so passing it is the right move even if its a tough pill to swallow.

Every dem that voted for this is a backstabber and should be voted out.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Lmao

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1059593488239595522?s=19

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Tibalt posted:

I let you decide if a leftist HFC is a good or bad thing.

Extremely good, and needed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

So who initiates the challenge to this that ties it up in court and effectively stops it? How does that work?

Someone who will be directly affected (most likely a border landowner) will file a suit in the relevant court. That court will issue a stay ordering that no related actions may be taken until the suit is resolved. Much later, it will be argued and ruled upon. It will then be appealed by whoever lost, with the stay still in place and/or the land still not in the government's possession, consuming even more time. Given how complicated eminent domain tends to be, there's a very real chance that this case will outlast the Trump administration. If a Democratic president enters office and the suit is still ongoing, he can summarily withdraw from it and allow the landowner to win with no wall ever having been built.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
God I'm so loving tired of our big wet boy president and the rest of the soggy white men who enable him.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This really opens the floodgates for AOC’s green new deal national emergency in six years.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

RasperFat posted:

It’s never happened to white establishment reporters, so of course this is an outrage and a shock.

(To the white establishment reporters)

Do you have information on when it's happened to independent and/or minority reporters? I'd like to read about it.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1096153878914101253

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also to all you people who thought McConnell had a will of his own and would actually resist Trump on any "red line" issue

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1096139139563573254

Trump owns the Turtle and they will walk into the hell hand-in-hand.

Except this is what Mitch wants? Its just McConnell trading some vague promise of supporting something later so that Trump signs what he needs now. McConnell does that all the time and ask Susan Collins or anyone else who has been around awhile what Mitch's promises mean.

"Resist" Trump is a weird way of putting it. McConnell has a better political mind than Trump. He knows the Wall isn't getting funded and they can't afford shutting down the government again. He doesn't want the national emergency because he knows that creates a new mess of problems to deal with, but its the thing that gets this wall and shutdown mess resolved and placates the baby.

I don't see how anyone can reasonably spin this as a Trump win. He was enough of a petulant child that McConnell gave more than he wanted to, but Trump still didn't get anything out of this. Ann Coulter's right on that (because she oddly is also smarter than Trump).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 14, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Hm. Everything seems in order.

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1096150629075038208?s=19

nerox
May 20, 2001

haveblue posted:

Someone who will be directly affected (most likely a border landowner) will file a suit in the relevant court. That court will issue a stay ordering that no related actions may be taken until the suit is resolved. Much later, it will be argued and ruled upon. It will then be appealed by whoever lost, with the stay still in place and/or the land still not in the government's possession, consuming even more time. Given how complicated eminent domain tends to be, there's a very real chance that this case will outlast the Trump administration. If a Democratic president enters office and the suit is still ongoing, he can summarily withdraw from it and allow the landowner to win with no wall ever having been built.

Can't wait for the news to report on Cards Against Humanity LLC v. Donald J. Trump

https://www.cardsagainsthumanitysavesamerica.com/

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Do you have information on when it's happened to independent and/or minority reporters? I'd like to read about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9s1zJ_Psg

I’m sure it comes as a huge surprise that police don’t like reporters and will often target them for harassment during protests.

See also: Charlottesville where the police protected the Nazis even after they fired guns at protestors.

But the big name pundits almost never interact with police on that level, so their thuggish and anti-democratic behavior is met with faux shock.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

So he's officially obese? Guess that's the national emergency.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

These are fascist pigs fyi. And I don't feel any guilt about labeling them as such, except perhaps to pigs for the unfair comparison.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While the eminent domain challenges are the obvious ones for an emergency declaration, Puerto Rico is ready to go today with a challenge to taking away their recovery funds. I'd guess they get to the courts first.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So this bill contains no back pay for federal contractors which is appropriate considering how Trump never pays anyone for work they do for him

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Murkowski needs braces!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

RottenK posted:

Extremely good, and needed.
I would argue that the HFC significantly hindered the ability of the Republicans to do anything with their unified control of the government during the beginning of the Trump administration.

Like... a failed repeal of Obamacare and an unpopular tax cut is nothing, considering the complete overhaul of any aspect of America that the Republican party could agree on.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

DrNutt posted:

These are fascist pigs fyi. And I don't feel any guilt about labeling them as such, except perhaps to pigs for the unfair comparison.

yeah pigs are really sweet and friendly and looooove scratches

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

on the other hand they will eat your face off

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

And if you let them roam free, they form murder gangs.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Murkowski needs braces!

Trump is pretty much Homer Simpson, without any of the redeeming qualities that make Homer lovable.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Rudoku posted:

And if you let them roam free, they form murder gangs.

They're just like people awww.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
A tweet for absolutely everything.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/535441553079431168

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Super-Id posted:

They're just like people awww.

They don't torture children and put them in camps so objectively better.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ogmius815 posted:

Use of the term “pigs” to refer to the police doesn’t make you seem like a deranged lunatic or anything.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

The dumbest super power.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

If someone has video of a cop shoving a pregnant woman around they should slap that poo poo all over the news at night. The pig won’t get in trouble (he’ll most likely get a promotion for beating up a pregnant lady) but at least the people can see how loving bad cops are and how our national emergency should be based around disbanding police forces and creating a new ground-up citizen-based policing system.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Levitate posted:

on the other hand they will eat your face off

That's fair.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

While the eminent domain challenges are the obvious ones for an emergency declaration, Puerto Rico is ready to go today with a challenge to taking away their recovery funds. I'd guess they get to the courts first.

Does the SCOTUS have original jurisdiction over a territory suing the US?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

RasperFat posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9s1zJ_Psg

I’m sure it comes as a huge surprise that police don’t like reporters and will often target them for harassment during protests.

See also: Charlottesville where the police protected the Nazis even after they fired guns at protestors.

But the big name pundits almost never interact with police on that level, so their thuggish and anti-democratic behavior is met with faux shock.

Those examples aren't really analogous to stopping reporters from asking politicians questions. That poo poo is really bad and needs to stop immediately, but not showing there's a precedent for cops preventing reporters from questioning politicians before a vote.

If your point was simply "reporters get harassed by police" I don't disagree but I don't think it's quite what was being referred to as new.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Ripoff posted:

If someone has video of a cop shoving a pregnant woman around they should slap that poo poo all over the news at night. The pig won’t get in trouble (he’ll most likely get a promotion for beating up a pregnant lady) but at least the people can see how loving bad cops are and how our national emergency should be based around disbanding police forces and creating a new ground-up citizen-based policing system.

It worked in the Police Academy movies.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

We had one at a place I used to live. Loved it when you scratched him with your boots good and hard. And was BFF with the cat. They were an efficient team; cat murdered all the small animals it could, pig came behind and ate them.

e: oh, and he'd get up on the couch to sleep while no one was looking. He was a house pig until he got too fat for the dog door.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 14, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ripoff posted:

Although video or not, cops pushing around privileged white people is about to get way more airtime than the six pigs that just brutally executed a black person sleeping in his car, and I feel pretty gross about it.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

pokie posted:

Who the gently caress are the 13% of racist Dems?

Do you remember a few days back when we were talking about that study showing a bunch of evangelical support for israel and their reasons being crazy? Well when you look at the (poorly done) study, it is clearly really conservative people but still like 15% (or some other low double digit number) self identified as democrat.

Regardless of how far away from democratic/liberal platforms people are, some of them will still claim to be those.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Those examples aren't really analogous to stopping reporters from asking politicians questions. That poo poo is really bad and needs to stop immediately, but not showing there's a precedent for cops preventing reporters from questioning politicians before a vote.

If your point was simply "reporters get harassed by police" I don't disagree but I don't think it's quite what was being referred to as new.

I dunno I’m pretty sure arresting reporters who didn’t do anything illegal to prevent them from covering an event is pretty analogous to shoving reporters out of the way so they can’t question senators.

The framing of “how can the police be acting like this!?” is bullshit because that’s how cops always act.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Well, the good news is that his Crestor is maxed out. So it's only a matter of time before something occludes. Let's hope it's the left anterior descending artery.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh my god, claiming his pulse-ox is 99%, a man in his seventies, just lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1096158878004318212