Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Of all the people podcasting under the Observer banner, only Fumi approaches Dave when it comes to my wanting to listen to every show he's on. He is that interesting/has that many interesting stories. Lance is like a distant third.

Edit: Definately look up the Wrestle Kingdom time period ones and WOR's from then because him and Dave together is pretty great.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Okay I’m going to have to give this show a shot. I almost wish I had a longer commute, not enough time for all these podcasts

Maybe it’s finally time to get rid of that awful Russo podcast I keep hate-listening to

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Fumi actually sounds quite a bit like Dave to me, he has similar mannerisms or something

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jim Valley has an incredible broadcasters voice.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've really liked listening to Valley's Portland Wrestlecasts among other things. It's completely unknown history to me and he does a good job of covering it

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
There's a fantastic amount of quality content with the F4W subscription. I used to be skeptical but it really is worth it. I've probably got more hours out of that subscription than my Netflix subscription in the past few months

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I usually only do WOR plus the Lance shows and PR when I have time and with daily WOR there's basically too much content to fit into my daily commute since I like to listen to music and stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dave and Bryan arguing about Ric Flair's birthday on the latest WOR is great, and Dave lamenting that WWE didn't invite him was also great.

Also a couple of pretty hosed up things that came out during the show:

1. Ric Flair held off on announcing he would be at Starrcast till after the last Raw because he was legitimately concerned that WWE would take away Charlotte's Mania spot out of spite.
2. WWE paid -$700,000 in taxes last year in spite of record revenue/profits. That's MINUS 700k

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"Ric Flair would do the best job of falling into a cake of anyone in history."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

"Ric Flair would do the best job of falling into a cake of anyone in history."
Bryan Alvarez in being correct shocker

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave saying it should be Corbin instead a rare instance of Dave being 100% categorically wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

2. WWE paid -$700,000 in taxes last year in spite of record revenue/profits. That's MINUS 700k
Yeah, you can claim foreign taxes paid as a credit on your federal taxes. WWE paid more in taxes to foreign governments than they would otherwise owe to the US, so they get a refund. So it's not like they didn't pay taxes, it's just that our taxes are indirectly subsidizing Saudi Arabia, so that's real cool.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, you can claim foreign taxes paid as a credit on your federal taxes. WWE paid more in taxes to foreign governments than they would otherwise owe to the US, so they get a refund. So it's not like they didn't pay taxes, it's just that our taxes are indirectly subsidizing Saudi Arabia, so that's real cool.

part of it is that they paid the 2016 rates for taxes in 2017, so they took the refund for Trump's tax cuts in 2018

they paid something like $31M in 2017 and were owed around $7M in refund

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The WOR preview saying “Undertaker being at Starrcast, G1” got me excited for a minute

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Undertaker-Okada confirmed for MSG.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

The WOR preview saying “Undertaker being at Starrcast, G1” got me excited for a minute

He's a lovely human being but you shouldn't wish for his death.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone have the GIF of the powerbomb Lawlor took in his match with Shamrock? Bryan was talking a lot about it on F4D.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Amazing recap of the Donahue story on the Observer today. Going over Vince's demands to be on the show::

"He wanted 12 spots in the studio audience for plants."

I hope one of them was going to be a stunt granny.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

He's a lovely human being but you shouldn't wish for his death.

Dude he'd just sit right up

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I've heard him tell the story before but Dave going in-depth on doing the Phil Donahue show with Vince is a great listen

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Incessant Excess posted:

Anyone have the GIF of the powerbomb Lawlor took in his match with Shamrock? Bryan was talking a lot about it on F4D.

I tried to find it but didn’t. I don’t even know where their message boards even are.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jericho with this uh charming nugget from Raven’s 100th podcast

Jericho: “Raven you cant poo poo out a black man you can only give birth to one”

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol nm I listened to the segment again and he says “black hand” and it’s a Mae young reference, that makes more sense

Imagine this not being wrestling and that being the better of the two sentences somehow

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Angry Grimace posted:

I tried to find it but didn’t. I don’t even know where their message boards even are.

Mentioning the board was a good idea, I looked there instead of google and twitter and voila:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Angry Grimace posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Incessant Excess posted:

Mentioning the board was a good idea, I looked there instead of google and twitter and voila:

lmao the look on tom's face when he realizes he's not being slammed on the table

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what'd bryan say about it

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Said he was an idiot for taking that bump in front of 50 people.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Super No Vacancy posted:

what'd bryan say about it

He made him Geek of the Week for taking that move and then kept going off on him because Tom argued he didn’t know he was gonna take the bump so Bryan gave him poo poo for claiming to be unable to escape a 55 year old man shoot powerbombing him.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Lance runs a train on Bryan over Ronda/Becky/Charlotte on the F4D this week.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What did he say?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Lance doesn't agree with Bryan's argument that Becky tapping out at the Rumble and apologizing on Raw didn't hurt her at all as she still got good reactions after those things happened. These poor booking/creative choices by WWE may not be immediately reflected in the reactions from the live audience but they add up over time and are part of the reason why TV ratings are down so much year over year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Lance doesn't agree with Bryan's argument that Becky tapping out at the Rumble and apologizing on Raw didn't hurt her at all as she still got good reactions after those things happened. These poor booking/creative choices by WWE may not be immediately reflected in the reactions from the live audience but they add up over time and are part of the reason why TV ratings are down so much year over year.

Becky tapping to Asuka was a really ridiculously good creative decision, though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave's Donohue memories are pretty great, and boy does the recounting of how WWE tried to stage manage the whole thing paint Vince as even scummier than normal. Particularly the bit about bringing up Bruno's son and his steroid use to Bruno to try and get a rise out of him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

agreed, also jay white should have lost at wrestle kingdom before winning the iwgp title

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What is this "Jericho Network" that Raven's podcast is a part of?

Is Talk is Jericho so big and Jericho is so successful and rich that he is supporting other wrestlers' podcasts in some way? If so that is pretty awesome and I feel ad I never had that much respect for the man growing up and only became a fan in the last few years.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's just another podcasting network. I think there's wrestling and non-wrestling podcasts on there.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Think of it like a webring. A series of affiliated podcasts that might be of interest to listeners of an in network podcast.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Think of it like a webring. A series of affiliated podcasts that might be of interest to listeners of an in network podcast.

Not enough flaming skull gifs and gifs of construction workers to be a webring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Becky’s appeal is naturally underdog appeal and people who think she is Stone Cold don’t seem to notice that she’s a lot closer to Daniel Bryan than Stone Cold.

The things he is saying don’t matter because she is going to win in the end.