Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nottherealaborn posted:

I highly recommend the donut sushi

It's okay. It's decent sushi, but the rice just falls apart when you try to pick up a "piece" with the fish on it. Unless you use a fork or your hands, you basically end up eating the individual pieces of fish and then scooping up the rice.

I do recommend getting the sake because you get a wooden masu cup with your name written in Japanese on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It's okay. It's decent sushi, but the rice just falls apart when you try to pick up a "piece" with the fish on it. Unless you use a fork or your hands, you basically end up eating the individual pieces of fish and then scooping up the rice.

I do recommend getting the sake because you get a wooden masu cup with your name written in Japanese on it.

Note to potential visitors of real Japan, not just the Epcot version: same advice applies regarding donut sushi here. If you see it, try it once for novelty; then pretend it doesn’t exist.

And, uh, what do they mean by “your name in Japanese”? We talking katakana, or are they trying to squeeze Western names into kanji? ’Cause that latter option means a whooooole lotta people walking around with Japanese text that makes Ariana Grande look good by comparison.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Flower and Garden menus just dropped and they're legit as hell. I arrive 3/14!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Tim Whatley posted:

Flower and Garden menus just dropped and they're legit as hell. I arrive 3/14!

The new stands especially sound great. Not sure if we’ll make it this year since we’re already doing Arts next week. I look forward to reviews to help decide if we should go!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grundulum posted:

Note to potential visitors of real Japan, not just the Epcot version: same advice applies regarding donut sushi here. If you see it, try it once for novelty; then pretend it doesn’t exist.

And, uh, what do they mean by “your name in Japanese”? We talking katakana, or are they trying to squeeze Western names into kanji? ’Cause that latter option means a whooooole lotta people walking around with Japanese text that makes Ariana Grande look good by comparison.

It looks to be the katakana phonetic spelling of your first name. Here's mine:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Ko u de i

Cody?

That’s hiragana, not katakana.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nanigans posted:

Ko u de i

Cody?

That’s hiragana, not katakana.

Yes, it's Cody. I don't know a lick of Japanese so I can barely tell the alphabets apart.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So “donut sushi” is pretty much a circular version of what’s commonly (in the US) called a “rainbow roll”? Or is there something else special about it?

E: never mind, I’m being dumb. Rainbow rolls have crab* inside the rice.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
They’ll always use hiragana, because I spoke to them in Japanese when I went last year and have a sake cup with my (decidedly not Japanese) name in hiragana. I’d presume it’s because hiragana is the first alphabet most students will learn while being authentic, so it’s the friendliest common denominator.

It’s been a little under a month so I think it’s too late to do a DLP trip report, so I’m just gonna leave it at: can’t wait for Ratatouille to come over, DLP slow season is idyllic compared to WDW, even counter service places have theming up the wazoo, and we’re seriously missing out on Hyperspace Mountain. Thanks again PkerUNO!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bottom Liner posted:

Good times at the EPCOT Arts Fest

Is Disney buying MGM now too?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kimitsu posted:

They’ll always use hiragana, because I spoke to them in Japanese when I went last year and have a sake cup with my (decidedly not Japanese) name in hiragana. I’d presume it’s because hiragana is the first alphabet most students will learn while being authentic, so it’s the friendliest common denominator.

That’s.. super odd, since foreign names are always 100% of the time written in katakana. It really weirded me out to see "Cody" approximated in hiragana. Also my Japanese is pretty rusty as I haven’t used it once in almost 10 years but a subscript "i" does not exist in hiragana, as used for "codei" in the photo.That might just be a handwriting issue but it looks more like someone meant to write katakana (which has a subscript "i") but instead accidentally wrote hiragana.

Sorry not to poo poo on the writing or anything, at least it’s real characters and phonetically spells out your name. It’d be you meeting a "Hitoshi" and then writing out his name in Latin letters as hiTOShI. Like it’s readable but it sure looks odd.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Saladman posted:

Also my Japanese is pretty rusty as I haven’t used it once in almost 10 years but a subscript "i" does not exist in hiragana, as used for "codei" in the photo.That might just be a handwriting issue but it looks more like someone meant to write katakana (which has a subscript "i") but instead accidentally wrote hiragana.

Agree that seeing hiragana used for foreign words is weird. There are friendly-looking curvy katakana fonts that would match the Disney milieu. And yeah, your Japanese is out of date. Subscript vowels are becoming quite common. フォ (“fo”), ティ (“ti”), and ヴァ (“va”) are all over the place.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

When the Uniqlo store in Disney Springs opened, they had an employee brush-penning your name as a free gift. Since it was mostly foreign names, it was all in katakana that I saw. Coincidentally my niece was bounding as Kiki that day, and the employee noticed and brightened both their days.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Agree that seeing hiragana used for foreign words is weird. There are friendly-looking curvy katakana fonts that would match the Disney milieu. And yeah, your Japanese is out of date. Subscript vowels are becoming quite common. フォ (“fo”), ティ (“ti”), and ヴァ (“va”) are all over the place.

Your three examples are all in katakana, not hiragana. The subscript vowel Im talking about is the hiragana for I specifically, which afaik only exists in katakana.

Vvv

Thanks, I thought those small vowels were only for loanwords, and thus only used in katakana. I’ve forgotten basically all of my Japanese, and I never really spoke better than like a B1 level. I don’t even remember the level system, but B1 is like "gets around fine and can get the gist of a television broadcast"

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 15, 2019

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Man, I just want my alcohol with some close approximation of my name written in some other language. I love the gimmick.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Saladman posted:

Your three examples are all in katakana, not hiragana. The subscript vowel Im talking about is the hiragana for I specifically, which afaik only exists in katakana.

They exist. あぁ いぃ うぅ えぇ おぉ

When writing it by hand, it’s literally just writing it smaller so I can’t see why it would be any more difficult. Again, I really do think the choice of hiragana is partially the “easiest to read” factor, just like there are Japanese kids’ books in all hiragana.

Looking at the donut sushi, it looks like it’s a ring of sushi rice with fish draped on top, like an extended version of last year’s chirashi!

Kimitsu fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 15, 2019

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Get your sushi fix at California Grill

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’m gonna eat the sushi and drink the drink and get the box

I’ll ask if they wouldn’t mind using katakana tho :shobon:

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Kimitsu posted:

It’s been a little under a month so I think it’s too late to do a DLP trip report, so I’m just gonna leave it at: can’t wait for Ratatouille to come over, DLP slow season is idyllic compared to WDW, even counter service places have theming up the wazoo, and we’re seriously missing out on Hyperspace Mountain. Thanks again PkerUNO!

Yay! Glad you had a good time! :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/aaayyitsnoah/status/1095708584409792512

Looks like the rainbow tunnel is back and you walk through it

https://twitter.com/GoAwayGreen/status/1095719936230604807

Just browsing weird Disney twitter and saw this but I have no context or knowledge of any of that stuff

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

weird Disney twitter

Speaking of...

I assume it's just Back Door Disney making things explicit that were latent or maybe just on Disboards or something, but holy poo poo what's going on there. There's a parody of WDWNT because apparently that's a hate-on worth stoking, and Backdoor Disney guy called into WDWNT's live podcast that's streamed for some reason just to say bababooey and WDWNT guy was super unhappy about it. :psyduck:

I just wanna meet a cartoon mouse and enjoy a park or two and maybe read about how to do those things is that so hard

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Boxman posted:

Speaking of...

I assume it's just Back Door Disney making things explicit that were latent or maybe just on Disboards or something, but holy poo poo what's going on there. There's a parody of WDWNT because apparently that's a hate-on worth stoking, and Backdoor Disney guy called into WDWNT's live podcast that's streamed for some reason just to say bababooey and WDWNT guy was super unhappy about it. :psyduck:

I just wanna meet a cartoon mouse and enjoy a park or two and maybe read about how to do those things is that so hard

the drama that goes on with disney social media folks is fuckin' nuts

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm just as interested in weird backstage stuff as a lot of them but Disney people on social media are truly brokebrained. Also a lot of it is super duper illegal.

I'm not about to go to war for any Disney Park, unless it's Epcot and I'm paid in alcohol. :colbert:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Bottom Liner posted:

the drama that goes on with disney social media folks is fuckin' nuts

It seems that most people who gain some form of following tend to become (or were already) assholes. The guy who runs WDWNT is such a dick about his scoops (which are often not entirely correct.) Back Door Disney is a pompous rear end who is working through his anger about being fired by "sticking it to the man", and don't even get me started on Theme Park Review.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BDD is a idiot but it seems like all the urban explorers are idiots

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It seems that most people who gain some form of following tend to become (or were already) assholes. The guy who runs WDWNT is such a dick about his scoops (which are often not entirely correct.) Back Door Disney is a pompous rear end who is working through his anger about being fired by "sticking it to the man", and don't even get me started on Theme Park Review.

Oh god, TPR. They are super sensitive about everything. A few years ago somehow I ended up on their list of "Cool" users (despite never posting there much) who were invited to apply to be invited on a secret group trip to a couple parks. Part of the application including sharing all your social media with them so they could evaluate if you were good enough to pay $5000 to go to Dollywood with them.

And it's always fun to see Rob overreact to a poster who doesn't totally agree with him on everything.

But I do have a beef with bioreconstruct. Dude is always one step ahead of me with his aerial photos. :argh: jk, I met him once and he seems cool

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

Part of the application including sharing all your social media with them so they could evaluate if you were good enough to pay $5000 to go to Dollywood with them.

All those Dis fans who go on those weird fuckin trips. I know Dreams is a good agency but drat :lol:

Matt Sonswa. Dude is gonna get killed.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I love bioreconnstruct. I want to know how much it costs him a year to get all those flights/drones/whatever for his shots.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

BDD is a idiot but it seems like all the urban explorers are idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_CychOtto

This was filmed about a month before a TV show I worked on loaded into the soundstage. He's basically walking around an active working studio with a usable soundstage, offices, and Blue Man Group workshops and pretending that he's showing you all the secret abandoned stuff.

He later got permanently banned from Disney for all his backstage antics.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_CychOtto

This was filmed about a month before a TV show I worked on loaded into the soundstage. He's basically walking around an active working studio with a usable soundstage, offices, and Blue Man Group workshops and pretending that he's showing you all the secret abandoned stuff.

He later got permanently banned from Disney for all his backstage antics.

Interestingly his Disney ban was lifted, and just last year he got banned from Universal for that video. Several years after he posted it.

He's interesting. He doesn't do UrbanX stuff anymore, just park blogs.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
By sheer chance, I wound up at Trader Sam’s in Orlando last night. Seems they don’t do the Kungaloosh there (:(), but there are other off-menu items I could have asked for. Is there a handy list somewhere for the next time I happen to be around?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
If you are seated inside and make good friends with your server, you can ask them to get you a spikey pineapple despite that only being available outside. Make sure to get it with the good rum (I forget the name of it)

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

couldcareless posted:

If you are seated inside and make good friends with your server, you can ask them to get you a spikey pineapple despite that only being available outside. Make sure to get it with the good rum (I forget the name of it)

The spikey pineapple is on the menu for inside too

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Then I must have had some issues in the past with wait staff then. I've definitely been denied it in the past.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

couldcareless posted:

Then I must have had some issues in the past with wait staff then. I've definitely been denied it in the past.

It has always been outdoors exclusive the past 2 times I was there. Honestly, it was pretty ridiculous.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
From what I recall, the waiter said something along the lines of the PoS system inside doesn't have the drink listed, only the outside one does. So even when we ordered it, we basically had to open a new tab on the outside bar.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Trader Sam's outside is now on my list of "things I need to do that I've never done at WDW before" right below "actually go to Tom Sawyer's Island"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlueBayou posted:

Trader Sam's outside is now on my list of "things I need to do that I've never done at WDW before" right below "actually go to Tom Sawyer's Island"

Get a very old vintage camera and take pics at Tom Sawyer's Island with it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tom Sawyer Isla d is fun to see the few things Disney Lawyers haven’t told them to remove due to being u safe like the rope bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Huh, that’s really weird cuz they list Spikey Pineapple on their menus, and my wife had no issue ordering it from the bar inside when we were there two weeks ago.