Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Chokes McGee posted:

CSPAM Mental Health and Depression Thread: smoke weed about it

ok

its really made me realize just how much anxiety I put up with daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
To be clear I am not actually suggesting self medicating with weed

But people still drink and smoke so w/e. Just be honest with yourself and don't overdo it

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
theres an adjustment period of like a week where you're like "ew! this nightguard is bulky and weird and i don't like it!"

and then after a few days you close your teeth together over the wear patterns and realize: in a few sleeps you've already clenched through a plastic tough enough to stop bullets and this thing is great, and if anyone bugs you about it they can gently caress. right. off.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Going back to what someone said earlier about feeling powerless.

I have come to accept that I am powerless over most situations and I feel like that could help.

I just keep in the back of my head, I don't need to help everybody. If I can just help a few in my life time, that is good enough.

Not really sure if that is the proper way of thinking of things but it has helped.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I wasn't suggesting weed to you earlier, it was a joke on your username

Oh that, ahaha I see. You see I am the most bigly self-aware.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

sad post

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Third World Reagan posted:

I have come to accept that I am powerless over most situations and I feel like that could help.

I just keep in the back of my head, I don't need to help everybody. If I can just help a few in my life time, that is good enough.

Not really sure if that is the proper way of thinking of things but it has helped.

It is. No one person can save the entire world. You extend compassion where you can, and it's more than what was there before, so you win.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

sad post

comforting response

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chokes McGee posted:

comforting response

appreciation for empathy and care

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

Hilariously I have bipolar friends who get prescribed loving ketamine of all things. I mean, it's super micro doses in an inhaler so you're not gonna be trippin on special k 24/7 but they all swear by it for alleviating depression.

there's a drug very similiar to ketamine called esketamine currently going thru fda approval. is your friend a part of the clinical trials?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

quick story:

girl's walking along the beach, after a big storm, and there's starfish everywhere washed up on the sands!! She starts tossing them back in the water one by one since they cant move too well.

smug dude comes up to her and says hey lady whachu doooin? dont you know you cant save em all! why bother?

girl looks at him with a smile and says

"well it matters to this one!" *tosses a star back in

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

quick story:

girl's walking along the beach, after a big storm, and there's starfish everywhere washed up on the sands!! She starts tossing them back in the water one by one since they cant move too well.

smug dude comes up to her and says hey lady whachu doooin? dont you know you cant save em all! why bother?

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

:yeah:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Finicums Wake posted:

there's a drug very similiar to ketamine called esketamine currently going thru fda approval. is your friend a part of the clinical trials?

Possibly! I usually don't get too nosey at group about meds unless it's the current topic of discussion. Seems rude.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
So I talked with a therapist and that one time fixed everything hooray!

Haha not really but it was good and I might get a prescription for them pills where after you take them you can't drink alcohol

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

So reading this thread uhm...boy., is it ok if I say that I have basically become stuck in C-Spam? I switch between a few doomsday threads constantly and shitpost and I can't actually stop. I'm researching every little tidbit about Trump and Brexit and climate change deniers obsessively and it's making me feel paralyzed.
I tried stepping away from C-Spam for a bit, do meditation, walk outside or read a book and it's still in my head.

I feel bad when I'm not researching stuff, I feel horrid when I don't know the latest goings on and I feel utterly stupid and weak for sitting in a dark room unable to act on anything I read. I have meds, I take them religiously but I started harming myself again.
I talked to a therapist but they are saying it's just me not dealing with my autism correctly or not accepting that I'm autistic and I'm conflating this problem to not deal with my autism. Which, you know, if they say so, but I go to support groups and I try and get over myself to talk to people but I spent 16 years being told I was bipolar only for them now to say I'm autistic because I don't have the upswing commonly associated with bipolar anymore.

And it's true, I don't and I loving miss it and I want it back because at least then I wouldn't be so stupidly hopeless.

Everyone can just ignore this post, I'm only typing it because I hope it helps me turn off my monitor.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have like 200 words on Twitter muted. I decided about a year ago that while I like keeping up on all the political nonsense and climate change and poo poo, I needed to engage with it on my terms.

Imagine all the news is water. Sometimes you just want to go get a glass from the faucet and drink it and then stop. Twitter is like a firehose spraying at full blast.

gently caress that poo poo. I go on Twitter to look at art and talk to my friends, not to see the same hot take on the latest bad news retweeted by a dozen different people all goddamn day.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There is a reason why I prefer weekly news than social media.

I can take it in part, set some time aside for it, and then not care the rest of the time.

It means most of my stress is one day but eh, I want some stress.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

are you taking mood stabilizers because those do a much better job blunting mania than they do depression. and desperately missing mania is bipolar as hell

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
I had suffered from undiagnosed depression my whole life, and even my mom's suicide in 2010 wasn't enough for me to take it seriously. Never stuck with a therapist or took any antidepressants. Then 2016 happened.

My mind was constantly racing, I was arguing with CHUDs in my brain, and got into screaming matches with work Trumpers. I finally broke down and HR sent me to hospital. Half a year later after partial hospitalization and 4 prescriptions for panic and depression, Headspace meditation, CBT and DBT, and finally relationship therapy for dealing with others, I finally feel like I am in a comfortable space.

I still read CSPAM religously, but not with so much anger. I find not knowing all the social media details scarier than reading it all - and it's much funnier on meds. It's easier to recognize the gaslighting, and I have tons of ammo to send to my centrist family. Even my Reagan, Thatcher and Bush (but not Trump) -loving father has been fascinated by what I have sent him - he says he never even heard of the term gaslighting before I told him.

It can get better, but a lot went right for me. I have reached out to my family and friends with emotional honesty. My relationship with MY WIFE is much better.

So... thanks death cult CHUDs, I finally got the help I needed.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Tastykake posted:

are you taking mood stabilizers because those do a much better job blunting mania than they do depression. and desperately missing mania is bipolar as hell

I used lithium for the longest time, but I am now off it because of the autism diagnosis and because I haven't had a mania since they say I probably was never bipolar and was just dealing incorrectly with the autism. I am still on anti-depressants (mirtazipine) but even with them every day is a struggle to even get out of bed. Taking care of myself feels pointless and every day is basically spent worrying about c-spam things and wishing I was back to pulling allnighters and drinking without ever feeling the least bit tired and being able to talk to people without any semblance of fear or anxiety. I loved my mania even when people told me it wasn't me, it was me and it feels like it was a better me.

e-Don't get me wrong, the success stories ITT and others do give me hope of a sort it's just I've been stuck in this therapy/meds viscious circle for 16 years and it just seems endless.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

quote:

Taking care of myself feels pointless and every day is basically spent worrying about c-spam things and wishing I was back to pulling allnighters and drinking without ever feeling the least bit tired and being able to talk to people without any semblance of fear or anxiety. I loved my mania even when people told me it wasn't me, it was me and it feels like it was a better me.

this is one of the most bipolar sentences ive ever read

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I was born in Appalachia in 1979. This means I was not and will never be diagnosed with whatever broke brains you all have. owned. (give me pills i want to die)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

euthy posted:

I had suffered from undiagnosed depression my whole life, and even my mom's suicide in 2010 wasn't enough for me to take it seriously. Never stuck with a therapist or took any antidepressants. Then 2016 happened.

My mind was constantly racing, I was arguing with CHUDs in my brain, and got into screaming matches with work Trumpers. I finally broke down and HR sent me to hospital. Half a year later after partial hospitalization and 4 prescriptions for panic and depression, Headspace meditation, CBT and DBT, and finally relationship therapy for dealing with others, I finally feel like I am in a comfortable space.

I still read CSPAM religously, but not with so much anger. I find not knowing all the social media details scarier than reading it all - and it's much funnier on meds. It's easier to recognize the gaslighting, and I have tons of ammo to send to my centrist family. Even my Reagan, Thatcher and Bush (but not Trump) -loving father has been fascinated by what I have sent him - he says he never even heard of the term gaslighting before I told him.

It can get better, but a lot went right for me. I have reached out to my family and friends with emotional honesty. My relationship with MY WIFE is much better.

So... thanks death cult CHUDs, I finally got the help I needed.

another cspam success story :unsmith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

An insane mind posted:

I used lithium for the longest time, but I am now off it because of the autism diagnosis and because I haven't had a mania since they say I probably was never bipolar and was just dealing incorrectly with the autism. I am still on anti-depressants (mirtazipine) but even with them every day is a struggle to even get out of bed. Taking care of myself feels pointless and every day is basically spent worrying about c-spam things and wishing I was back to pulling allnighters and drinking without ever feeling the least bit tired and being able to talk to people without any semblance of fear or anxiety. I loved my mania even when people told me it wasn't me, it was me and it feels like it was a better me.

e-Don't get me wrong, the success stories ITT and others do give me hope of a sort it's just I've been stuck in this therapy/meds viscious circle for 16 years and it just seems endless.

have you ever tried lamotrogine (lamictal)? Lithium is the gold standard but it is a pain in the rear end to keep up with and if you screw up blood levels, electrolytes, etc. it can even make things worse.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Chokes McGee posted:

have you ever tried lamotrogine (lamictal)? Lithium is the gold standard but it is a pain in the rear end to keep up with and if you screw up blood levels, electrolytes, etc. it can even make things worse.

I have not, lithium was where it stopped for me because my manias ceased while on it, however I kept getting depressed and more depressed so I most have tried 5?-ish different antidepressants but all those do is make me miss my mania. I just want to go back to that, when I had them at least the depressions weren't that bad unless I was in them because there was another high around the bend. After a while I just started saying that the meds help because I just don't want to disappoint them anymore.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

i gotta look around, weed is legal in michigan now but i don't know how many dispensaries there are that aren't classified as medical dispensaries.

Have you tried edibles? You want to be careful with the dosage and only take one on a full stomach but they've helped me and I don't have intrusive thoughts about getting lung cancer.

Expensive to buy them though i make my own tinctures in a slow cooker, much cheaper

Also please try to use a mouth guard, I have the same problem and the first few nights with it in were agony getting to sleep. Now I don't like sleeping with out it, it helps my brain get into it's sleep mood and I don't have jaw aches the following day

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

An insane mind posted:

So reading this thread uhm...boy., is it ok if I say that I have basically become stuck in C-Spam? I switch between a few doomsday threads constantly and shitpost and I can't actually stop. I'm researching every little tidbit about Trump and Brexit and climate change deniers obsessively and it's making me feel paralyzed.
I tried stepping away from C-Spam for a bit, do meditation, walk outside or read a book and it's still in my head.

I feel bad when I'm not researching stuff, I feel horrid when I don't know the latest goings on and I feel utterly stupid and weak for sitting in a dark room unable to act on anything I read. I have meds, I take them religiously but I started harming myself again.

me too actually but replace "research" with "scrollin and trumpin"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Seriously I can't recommend microdosing thc edibles enough. I don't take them to get hosed up just buzzed. For the four or five hours I'm on them I feel normal. It's also helped me separate my work life and my personal life. For the few hours im high I know I can't get any of my responsibilities done. I tell myself this and it frees me to relax for a few hours.

Never take them on an empty stomach and always start small, I never get strong edibles and always subdivide them due to my weak thc tolerance. Tinctures in a dropper are easier to control just use the least amount possible and go up a little bit everyday until you find your sweet spot.

Sorry if this is rambling it's just something I've started that's helped my anxiety/depression/ocd :)

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
de

pre

ssito

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

An insane mind posted:

I have not, lithium was where it stopped for me because my manias ceased while on it, however I kept getting depressed and more depressed so I most have tried 5?-ish different antidepressants but all those do is make me miss my mania. I just want to go back to that, when I had them at least the depressions weren't that bad unless I was in them because there was another high around the bend. After a while I just started saying that the meds help because I just don't want to disappoint them anymore.

lamictal is a goddamn godsend for me. nothing worked for my crippling depression for years until I took lamictal and bam. it’s like someone flipped a light switch.

if your meds aren’t helping you have to say something. the wrong meds may make things a million times worse I.e. cause suicide risk increase.

Ssris should not be happening for bipolar unless your doctor is sure. Atypical antipsychotics are the go to, abilify is the most common I’ve seen. more than likely you’re experiencing mixed states due to bad med combos without realizing it.

you’ve got to talk to them though. you’re not disappointing them. if anything you’re giving them something interesting to solve

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twoday posted:

de

pre

ssito

this is how we do it down in cspamrito

I just want to hear you scream trumpito

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Feb 16, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Reminder that you can be depressed and not realize it, because you don't necessarily feel sad when you are depressed, but you might

- have little energy
- little interest in things you previously liked
- little desire for social interaction
- changes in appetite either way
- general bleh

Depression can refer to emotional depression, but deep-seated depression affects your metabolism and other aspects of your psyche. At some point on the spiral into depression you may stop feeling sad, because your brain isn't even producing enough dopamine to feel a strong sense of sadness anymore.

If you feel this applies to you, please talk to someone about it

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
cw: this is about suicidality and can be difficult to go through, but this helped me through a particularly rough patch over the last month and also made me bawl like a loving baby so maybe give it a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQNw2FBdpyE

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Getting therapy is a good idea

:therapy:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Zyla posted:

quick story:

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

"and this one!"

Happy post

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have like 200 words on Twitter muted. I decided about a year ago that while I like keeping up on all the political nonsense and climate change and poo poo, I needed to engage with it on my terms.

That is a really good way to put it. Engage with it in your own terms. Stealing that.

Dreddout posted:

Have you tried edibles? You want to be careful with the dosage and only take one on a full stomach but they've helped me and I don't have intrusive thoughts about getting lung cancer.

Expensive to buy them though i make my own tinctures in a slow cooker, much cheaper

Edibles all across California got nerfed hard by the latest legalization update. They added a bunch of safety rules about keeping them hard to open, and banning high concentrations, for fear of being mistaken for candy. It used to be I could go buy a $30 brownie with *6 GRAMS* of weed in it that would either last for months or otherwise is way too strong, enough to make like a dozen or two people have a nightmarishly strong trip for a full day. Well, thanks to businesses trying to take advantage of the new laws, you can still buy brownies for $30, but now they contain .06 grams. So the cost effectiveness went down by a factor of 100. Anyway don't get dicked over by that because chances are no one will warn you, and a lot of advice still assumes the products are like they were before.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
normal brain: sertraline
enlightened brain: weed
galaxy brain: mdma

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

lamictal is a goddamn godsend for me. nothing worked for my crippling depression for years until I took lamictal and bam. it’s like someone flipped a light switch.

if your meds aren’t helping you have to say something. the wrong meds may make things a million times worse I.e. cause suicide risk increase.

Ssris should not be happening for bipolar unless your doctor is sure. Atypical antipsychotics are the go to, abilify is the most common I’ve seen. more than likely you’re experiencing mixed states due to bad med combos without realizing it.

you’ve got to talk to them though. you’re not disappointing them. if anything you’re giving them something interesting to solve

I can vouch for lamictal. If you get on it and start getting the rash, though, don't gently caress around. Get medical help. It's extremely rare, but it can be fatal. When I say extremely rare, I've had doctors who have never seen it in any of the people they have prescribed to.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

normal brain: sertraline
enlightened brain: weed
galaxy brain: mdma

supercluster brain: dmt

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Dreddout posted:

supercluster brain: dmt

Adbot