Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tepig is really a critical hit of a name. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

galagazombie posted:

Wait I thought it was supposed to be a Kangaroo? Or is this an anime thing?

It's a kangaroo dinosaur mushroom umbrella thing and its arms extend when it punches. It mentions the extendo-arms in a few Pokedex entries but most in-game animations don't reflect this so yeah most people's exposure to Breloom's arms getting L O N G will be through the anime.

e:

SuperKlaus posted:

idk it's pretty...................tepid

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Brick Shipment posted:

I keep forgetting that Incineroar is supposed to be a wrasslecat because it just looks like inflatable and rubbery to me. Like I expect it to fight like Luffy in One Piece or something.

It's Sonic's Alolan Werehog form

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vinylshadow posted:

It's Sonic's Alolan Werehog form

No you're thinking of Zeraora

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

No you're thinking of Zeraora

That's Ash's Pokesona

Same cheeks and personality

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

SuperKlaus posted:

The whole Tepig -> Pignite -> Emboar name line is fantastic. Probably the best out of all the starters.

even if its the worst fire starter line

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vinylshadow posted:

That's Ash's Pokesona

Same cheeks and personality

his furs on a is obviously ash-greninja

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

galagazombie posted:

Wait I thought it was supposed to be a Kangaroo? Or is this an anime thing?

Nope. The Pokedex says that their arms are rubbery and can stretch at will. They kind of have to: it's pretty hard to punch with arms that are normally about four inches long.

oddium posted:

his furs on a is obviously ash-greninja

You got it reversed. Ash-Greninja is a ninja frog trying to look like an immortal ten-year-old.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ash-greninja came first, and was created by arceus from mew

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I can tell you exactly why 5th gen was the best; vending machines everywhere

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

limeicebreakers posted:

The whole Tepig -> Pignite -> Emboar name line is fantastic. Probably the best out of all the starters.

even if its the worst fire starter line

Typhlosion is far worse, and Emboar is considered better than both Delphox and Incineroar in singles.

Honestly Charizard is probably the worst fire starter if you discount its mega evolutions as well. Typhlosion and Charizard have identical stats and are both absolutely terrible Pokemon, in Typhlosion's case I think it actually wins out by sheer virtue of not being 4x weak to stealth rocks. Blaziken would also generally be worse than Emboar if it didn't have Speed Boost making it broken or the fact that it has a mega evo.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I played Black when I was very stressed out on top of being extremely sick and when I think about it, most of the game is like a fever dream to me. I'd like to go back and play it, but I know that it'd never live up to my barely remembered flu-addled memories.

This was Black 2 for me. I bought it when my condo flooded and the insurance company took everything to storage / remediation. I bought myself a 3DSXL and Black 2 to escape from the fact Mrs. Doctor, N+1th Doctor, and I had just moved into a tiny hotel room for what ultimately lasted 101 days.

Zedd posted:

Dartrix is tied with Braixen as best/sassiest middle stage.

Dartrix is mid 90's era Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

The Golden Gael posted:

I can tell you exactly why 5th gen was the best; vending machines everywhere
:yeah:
I think I had a gimmick of never using potions, only drinks in one of the Gen V-ers.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Ultima66 posted:

Typhlosion is far worse, and Emboar is considered better than both Delphox and Incineroar in singles.

Honestly Charizard is probably the worst fire starter if you discount its mega evolutions as well. Typhlosion and Charizard have identical stats and are both absolutely terrible Pokemon, in Typhlosion's case I think it actually wins out by sheer virtue of not being 4x weak to stealth rocks. Blaziken would also generally be worse than Emboar if it didn't have Speed Boost making it broken or the fact that it has a mega evo.

I was not talking about Emboar's stats.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Gen V had Volcarona and Scraggy, is the best Gen.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stats are dumb on pokemon. You should battle only using feelings and friendship.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hustlin Floh posted:

Stats are dumb on pokemon. You should battle only using feelings and friendship.

friendship is a stat

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hustlin Floh posted:

Yea-

Bongo Bill posted:

friendship is a stat

gently caress

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

:yeah:
I think I had a gimmick of never using potions, only drinks in one of the Gen V-ers.

It's just good sense if you can spare the grind. They're barely more expensive than Potions yet more efficient than Hyper Potions for the majority of a playthrough.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

if you ignore all the things that make a pokemon good, it's bad actually

weird

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
For fucks sake, I caught my shiny Rhyhorn 3 minutes after midnight and it’s nature is Rash instead of Adamant

Just end my loving life

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Soft drinks got debuffed in Gen 7 and Hyper Potions aren't hilariously overkill anymore either so it's not as exciting of a strat as it used to be. But I used to love stuffing my pockets full of Lemonade at my earliest convenience.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
^^yeah, from gen1 I never understood why anyone would buy a super potion when you could get 2.5 waters for the same price

Hustlin Floh posted:

I agree, I wish the whole stats aspect was a bit more fuzzy/variable so you could use whatever pokemon was your favorite - even in the metagame - and have at least an outside chance of your team not getting completely wiped

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

indigi posted:

^^yeah, from gen1 I never understood why anyone would buy a super potion when you could get 2.5 waters for the same price

Prior to Gen 5 you could only buy things from vending machines one at a time, plus it's not like you want run all the way to the one place each game with vending machines every time you needed to stock up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I will take the convenience of being able to buy 99 at once over cost effeciency every time

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Who needs potions when Lemonade and Moomoo Milk exist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

WrightOfWay posted:

Prior to Gen 5 you could only buy things from vending machines one at a time, plus it's not like you want run all the way to the one place each game with vending machines every time you needed to stock up.

yeah I just sat there and hit A constantly while watching DBZ and when it was over I had a hundred or so fresh waters

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

Who needs potions when leftovers and Rest exist

Seriously though, I don't think I buy items until victory road/the elite 4, then it's max options and elixers all day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vinylshadow posted:

Who needs potions when Lemonade and Moomoo Milk exist

Yeah, but Big Potion's money is in the League's and Poke Mart/Center's pockets, so most people aren't even aware of the far superior and cheaper alternative health products.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Moriatti posted:

Seriously though, I don't think I buy items until victory road/the elite 4

Max Repel tho

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, but Big Potion's money is in the League's and Poke Mart/Center's pockets, so most people aren't even aware of the far superior and cheaper alternative health products.

Potions Cause Pokérus

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Ariong posted:

Potions Cause Pokérus

I would like to formally retract myself from this bit now.

So, hey, Gen 8 announcement must be fairly soon. I'm thinking somewhere within the next three weeks.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's also the gross herb supplements that make your dudes hate you

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Crumbletron posted:

There's also the gross herb supplements that make your dudes hate you

My dudes. Leppa, Sitrus, and Oran berries.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Ariong posted:

Potions Cause Pokérus

This is why I only heal my Pokemon with Honey and MysticWater

I don't need any Liber Nurse and her Deep State Egg to tell me otherwise.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

if you ignore all the things that make a pokemon good, it's bad actually

weird

It's not the idea of ignoring the things that make Blaziken/Charizard good, but rather there being periods of time where Emboar has existed that Blaziken was a worse Pokemon (before the release of BW2), and also Charizard has been the worst fire starter (before X/Y).

Also designwise I like Emboar more than either Blaziken or Delphox, but that's pretty subjective.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I'd like it if the Gen 8 games did away with Pokemarts and you needed to scavenge/cultivate your healing items, which consists of mostly berries. It might also re-purpose some of the berries in the game that still don't have a use outside of making Pokeblocks/Poffins.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

I'd like it if the Gen 8 games did away with Pokemarts and you needed to scavenge/cultivate your healing items, which consists of mostly berries. It might also re-purpose some of the berries in the game that still don't have a use outside of making Pokeblocks/Poffins.

I feel like you could just cut out the middle man of beans and pastries and just give your pokemon some of those useless berries as the treats in Refresh.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

less laughter posted:

Max Repel tho

Super Repel is far more cost-effective though

Unless you are literally swimming in hundreds of thousands of dollars because you keep battling Gentlemen and Socialites with the Amulet Coin

I miss the VS Seeker

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/detpikachumovie/status/1096454157442048001?s=21

I was not ready for realistic Lickitung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

I agree, I wish the whole stats aspect was a bit more fuzzy/variable so you could use whatever pokemon was your favorite - even in the metagame - and have at least an outside chance of your team not getting completely wiped

I got to play a little Let's Go the other day and noticed it gave Pokemon overall "Combat Power" ratings like Pokemon Go does, besides real stat lines. Go has PvP leagues that place power level caps on the participating Pokemon and it helps some species otherwise considered poo poo see action. Does main line Pokemon competitive battling not have any points-value balancing or power level-based leagues like that?