Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I hope they publish it. It's been years since that ABC article which first mentioned the "lines of bodies stretching for miles" and I've never been able to forget it.

Countless people who died trying to find a better life have just loving vanished into a black hole and it just blows my mind.

They will tell us only in a way that serves their purposes. I suppose it's conveniently no longer a matter of national security

https://outline.com/ry8G3z

quote:

Earlier, Peter Dutton told of the trauma of Australian sailors pulling dismembered bodies of asylum seekers from the ocean as the government warns a new wave of boat arrivals is on the way.

The Home Affairs Minister made the comments on Sydney radio 2GB this morning as the government ramps up its attack on Labor over the refugee medical evacuations bill.

“It is going to see hundreds of people coming here quickly, it will be quite confronting and that’s the reality of the bill that they passed in the parliament,” Mr Dutton said.

“We have spoken to the sailors who pulled the kids out of the water, the half-eaten torsos. “Those sailors, members of Border Force, there are people still to this day with PTSD, they have never recovered and some never will.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/1095583701834952704

https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/1095631932124090368

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

tithin posted:

I'm in Victoria, - I tried looking on ethicaljobs.com.au for this sort of stuff but most of them start off by saying, oh we want you to have a certificate and 3 years of experience - for entry level stuff.

I'd love to get out of private enterprise and not having to worry about being for profit.

Just to clarify something, not for profits (as in companies and not public service) are still for profit. The difference is how they spend their profit, share holders as opposed to reinvesting in service delivery. They need to have fiscal sense to remain viable in a capitalist society.

So some orgs have kpis (outcomes is an often used word) attached to jobs because the government funding is structured that way. ie. 48 client outcomes per year per worker and the org is paid some to deliver and the balance when it hits its targeted outcomes.

Some orgs, like where I am now, are funded a big bucket of cash to provide a service. There are no metrics from the government, but the organisation implements kpis to ensure they are being as efficient with the money as they can be to a) maximise service delivery to the client group and b) make sure they win the funding when it goes up for tender again (not for profits are essentially forced to compete against each other when it comes to govt funding)

Finally there are those who don't have kpis. They're increasingly in the minority and are normally smaller orgs with CEOs and boards who haven't changes into 10 - 15+ years. Ultimately they lose funding as they aren't competitive in a tender process,, or the board and / or the ceo churns over and they start shaping up into a more "modern" organisation.

With all that said, the kpis mostly tend to be pretty easy. They're not like for profit kpis (except for a few exceptions). For the most part they're realistic and attainable, and they're used to develop and support workers towards that target if they're not hitting it. There are petty tyrants in the sector too who would use it just the same as kpis have been used at anz. So YMMV. Not for profit work is for people who want to align their personal values with their work.

Public service is different again, some of the others may expand on it if they want. My only advice would be avoid DoJ they're toxic internally.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
There should be a fair bit of hiring going on in the VPS over the next four years too, one of Andrews commitments was for every department and agency to cut the use of consultants on core business by 50%, as well as to establish an organisation that holds a bunch of subject matter neutral expertise (a lot of he admin roles) in the VPS rather than going to agencies, as well as looking to beef up the financial understanding in various areas of government

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh also don't be put off by " years of experience." At least 60% of the time that's put in there so that some dud internal who has been there 2 years doesn't apply, or they can easily reject for that reason. So apply anyway and highlight what transferrable skills you have that apply to the role.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/epa_victoria/status/1096147780219879424?s=21

SKM takes a huge proportion of metro Melbourne’s commingled recyclables by volume, two of their four MRFs (Hallam and Geelong the other two) being shut down is massive news.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Solemn Sloth posted:

There should be a fair bit of hiring going on in the VPS over the next four years too, one of Andrews commitments was for every department and agency to cut the use of consultants on core business by 50%, as well as to establish an organisation that holds a bunch of subject matter neutral expertise (a lot of he admin roles) in the VPS rather than going to agencies, as well as looking to beef up the financial understanding in various areas of government

hambeet posted:

Oh also don't be put off by " years of experience." At least 60% of the time that's put in there so that some dud internal who has been there 2 years doesn't apply, or they can easily reject for that reason. So apply anyway and highlight what transferrable skills you have that apply to the role.

I can tell you first hand that both of these are very true. Also VPS jobs usually offer flexible hours and accruable time leave.
https://careers.vic.gov.au/

The best move I ever made.

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://twitter.com/epa_victoria/status/1096147780219879424?s=21

SKM takes a huge proportion of metro Melbourne’s commingled recyclables by volume, two of their four MRFs (Hallam and Geelong the other two) being shut down is massive news.

Yeah there's a few demolishers getting hauled before the VBA over this right now

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 14, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Slugnoid posted:

I can tell you first hand that both of these are very true. Also VPS jobs usually offer flexible hours and accruable time leave.
https://careers.vic.gov.au/

The best move I ever made.

Yeah there's a few demolishers getting hauled before the VBA over this right now

I’m amazed the VBA is paying attention to anything other than cladding given the pressure from government right now tbh. The public has pretty much forgotten about the Corkman.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-14/nsw-stops-water-flows-to-lower-darling-river-menindee-weir/10808336

My comprehension is, draining all the water from the lakes as quickly as you can isn't really in the nest interest of the lakes or the river, but the NSW Government gets to say a few extra litres went to the environment?

As I understand the system is now completely hosed. There is no longer enough water in the system to meet actual need. The fact a "saving" from preventing evaporation is even considered as such tells you how bad things have become.

It really saddens me because the tools to manage this properly have existed for a long time.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m amazed the VBA is paying attention to anything other than cladding given the pressure from government right now tbh. The public has pretty much forgotten about the Corkman.

A major problem with the cladding issue is ongoing disputes between developers and the government. There are a heap of buildings that were built using flammable cladding which was legal at the time, but has subsequently been disallowed. The developers don't want to pay because it was legal at the time. The government doesn't want to pay because it should never have been used in the first place.

In some buildings, residents are just fundraising to get rid of it themselves, but obviously not everyone affected is able to do that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Whitlam posted:

A major problem with the cladding issue is ongoing disputes between developers and the government. There are a heap of buildings that were built using flammable cladding which was legal at the time, but has subsequently been disallowed. The developers don't want to pay because it was legal at the time. The government doesn't want to pay because it should never have been used in the first place.

In some buildings, residents are just fundraising to get rid of it themselves, but obviously not everyone affected is able to do that.

There’s still a pretty big question of whether it was legal to begin with. Some of the material could be legally used provided that other safety systems were in place to manage the increased risk it represented. In many cases it was an undocumented substitution of a combustible material for a non-combustible one.

Also owners corps have been criminally
inept in responding to what they have been aware of and I’m amazed that no one has taken them to task for it publicly yet.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dandrews is the hero that the country does not deserve

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Also what the f*** is up with the blood on Pauline Hanson's door wait straight up he just does that's me as blood on the door, he's going on fully old testament on her.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

There’s still a pretty big question of whether it was legal to begin with. Some of the material could be legally used provided that other safety systems were in place to manage the increased risk it represented. In many cases it was an undocumented substitution of a combustible material for a non-combustible one.

inept in responding to what they have been aware of and I’m amazed that no one has taken them to task for it publicly yet.

lol owners corps

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah to be honest, my view is that a class action lawsuit is going to be the best way to resolve it, but I have no idea if one is in the works or what.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Guys I'm going to get a VPS job too it sounds like a good way to stop permanent brain death. Good luck to everyone having a poo poo one as well, your old mate JBP is right there with you.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
acm and acp cladding is fine up to a certain height. It burns directly upwards but doesn't spread side to side, unless you completely entomb yourself in it like grenfell.

But yeah you dont want it over 15m.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Guys I'm going to get a VPS job too it sounds like a good way to stop permanent brain death. Good luck to everyone having a poo poo one as well, your old mate JBP is right there with you.

:hfive:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Slugnoid posted:

acm and acp cladding is fine up to a certain height. It burns directly upwards but doesn't spread side to side, unless you completely entomb yourself in it like grenfell.

But yeah you dont want it over 15m.

The big problem being that many buildings fire safety is designed with the intent that a fire doesn’t spread from one level to the next, and it gets really hosed when the external spread is allowed to infiltrate into the building at multiple points :toot:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

The big problem being that many buildings fire safety is designed with the intent that a fire doesn’t spread from one level to the next, and it gets really hosed when the external spread is allowed to infiltrate into the building at multiple points :toot:

Also most of the focus is on preventing fires spreading internally, with the usually quite reasonable assumption that fire isn't going to be trying to get into the building from outside several stories up.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hambeet posted:

lol owners corps

owners corpse

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

love all of these "pragmatic", level-headed opinion colomnists shaking their heads sadly about bill's soft hearted folly, definitely NOT rubbing their hands together anticipating boat people death and a glorious return to government for scomo

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
i'm really angry with how we somehow have a government that isn't governing, but hoo boy is it going to try and hold on to power for what purpose?? It doesn't make any sense

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Nine and Newscorp want ScoMo to win because a shambles of a government will sell a fuckton of papers.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Recoome posted:

i'm really angry with how we somehow have a government that isn't governing, but hoo boy is it going to try and hold on to power for what purpose?? It doesn't make any sense

nah they're trying to screw Shorten for his term as much as possible. reopening christmas island was much more of an invitation to people smugglers than the medevac bill ever was. they can play the "LABOR STARTED THE BOATS AGAIN" narrative and potentially get back in after one term of screeching about it from opposition. They already know they're going to lose. It's more a matter of trying to get back into govt as soon as possible.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

they got him this time for sure

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just told my boss to eat my rear end

(Nah it was all really nice and getting full support which owns)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DEFEATING SCOTT MORRISON AT EVERY TURN IS ACTUALLY GOING TO DEFEAT BILL SHORTEN.

ASL ME HOW

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

jesus loving christ

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
^^^
Why? I was having a perfectly nice morning till then.

You Am I posted:

I hate the fact that the ABC still has Ruddick and the drunken child killer Kate Carnell on The Drum occasionally
Might I remind you they have Amanda Vanstone pretending to be a well informed intellectual too?

The papers today are unintentionally hilarious. Yesterday was possibly the most dramatic and significant day in parliament in recent times. The press? Only the Tele bothered with a Shorten soft on BOATS piece that had basically nothing to do with the actual news. Even Pravda at the height of the Stalin regime was more open and factual. Free press my fat arse.

Obviously nothing about the noose that is tightening around M. Cash's neck. Does anyone in the AFP even care anymore that they are being made to look like the keystone cops in all this? The times we live in.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

No!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cartoon posted:

^^^
Why? I was having a perfectly nice morning till then.
Might I remind you they have Amanda Vanstone pretending to be a well informed intellectual too?

The papers today are unintentionally hilarious. Yesterday was possibly the most dramatic and significant day in parliament in recent times. The press? Only the Tele bothered with a Shorten soft on BOATS piece that had basically nothing to do with the actual news. Even Pravda at the height of the Stalin regime was more open and factual. Free press my fat arse.

Obviously nothing about the noose that is tightening around M. Cash's neck. Does anyone in the AFP even care anymore that they are being made to look like the keystone cops in all this? The times we live in.

herald sun is still harping on about the 'red shirt rorts' lmao.. its l,ike get over it, you lost. you lost so bad you had to sell your party headquarters

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Former Australian Taxation Office deputy commissioner Michael Cranston has been found not guilty of misusing his position to help his son.

Cranston, 59, was on trial in the NSW district court after pleading not guilty to using information he obtained as a deputy commissioner, and exercising influence in the capacity of his role, with the intention of dishonestly obtaining a benefit for his son Adam.

The jury returned not guilty verdicts on both counts on Friday, having retired on Wednesday following the three-week trial.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Amethyst posted:

love all of these "pragmatic", level-headed opinion colomnists shaking their heads sadly about bill's soft hearted folly, definitely NOT rubbing their hands together anticipating boat people death and a glorious return to government for scomo

OH NO WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T DO THIS AGAIN MR SHORTEN

I wonder if the media realise how far removed from reality and thus relevance to anyone NOT already voting for the Liberal or National parties they have become? It's like we have a national case of Principal Skinner Syndrome.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love news corp sidling up to Shorten pretending to be a friend warning him of disaster.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

JBP posted:

I love news corp sidling up to Shorten pretending to be a friend warning him of disaster.

That's a fairfax article

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Here's a balanced take from the communists at the ABC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amethyst posted:

That's a fairfax article

You're right, I should have said both, but ffax mouthpieces idiots too. News have been running basically the same opinion pieces verbatim.