Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

T99 was fun until I realized every single game was things go fine until suddenly 30 lines eat a dick.

What the gently caress even is a badge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Got my second #1 this morning in Tetris 99, this game is amazing.

The drama is like perfect, and the feeling of shrugging off 5 simultaneous attacks and launching them right back at them is fantastic. I think 'attackers' is the best strat - if you kill everyone targeting you then there will be no-one targeting you. Also loving up the early game helps, too

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

T99 was fun until I realized every single game was things go fine until suddenly 30 lines eat a dick.

Loot from killing other players that makes you stronger.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

Got my second #1 this morning in Tetris 99, this game is amazing.

The drama is like perfect, and the feeling of shrugging off 5 simultaneous attacks and launching them right back at them is fantastic. I think 'attackers' is the best strat - if you kill everyone targeting you then there will be no-one targeting you. Also loving up the early game helps, too
Attackers splits your garbage up though if there are multiple attackers, so you won't be KOing anyone

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

You get them from committing tetris murder. They increase how much garbage you drop. KOing people with badges lets you steal their badges. With badges even single line clears start to have an impact so they're super important in the endgame

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when I play fortnite I just hide in the bushes til the last 5 minutes
how do I do this in Tetris 99

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

By the time I get into the top 10 I just occupy myself with clearing lines or setting up a cleaner clear like two moves ahead at most. With a bunch of badges the single clears hurt a lot and things start to move so fast it's hard for me to do much else. At that point I'm pretty sure my own reflexes are a worse enemy than my opponents.

I got my first #1 and the number 2 guy died on his own while I was like 2 moves away from my own death thanks to the speed. Also that Rank 1 in 4th place :eyepop:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

homeless snail posted:

Attackers splits your garbage up though if there are multiple attackers, so you won't be KOing anyone

you do if you tetris more better

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waffle! posted:

The solution is to start a new game instead of hitting continue.

But I don't wanna start over... :p

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
So the announcement said Tetris 99 was free to play, but it looks like it's just straight up free (with the paid online thing of course) and there's nothing you can buy at all? Because hell yeah gimme more of these weird little experiment type games for free.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's probably better to try to snipe people who are close to losing but I have a hard enough time looking after myself so I set it to attackers at the start and hope for the best.

I actually want to get better at this game because I never would have imagined I wanted Tetris Battle Royale so much. The devs get major props for going with the most "this is so stupid it might just work" idea imaginable. Was this Alexey Pajitnov's true vision all along...?

Stan Taylor posted:

So the announcement said Tetris 99 was free to play, but it looks like it's just straight up free (with the paid online thing of course) and there's nothing you can buy at all? Because hell yeah gimme more of these weird little experiment type games for free.

Not even joking, this was the tipping point that made Nintendo's online subscription worth it for me. I was a little sore about paying for multiplayer that was still peer-to-peer but if there's going to be things like this thrown in, gently caress it I'll pay.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There have been multiplayer versions of Tetris before, where you're trying to last as long as possible while dumping garbage lines on other people. Is there something about this version that makes it uniquely BR-esque, or is it just a rebranding (and an increase of the player count) to try and capture that demographic?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Augus posted:

Get single lines only and don't ever even look like you're going for a Tetris

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

404notfound posted:

There have been multiplayer versions of Tetris before, where you're trying to last as long as possible while dumping garbage lines on other people. Is there something about this version that makes it uniquely BR-esque, or is it just a rebranding (and an increase of the player count) to try and capture that demographic?
The badges and the specific way the gravity ramps up are both new and direct analogs to standard battle royale mechanics

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

404notfound posted:

You get buffs for knocking people out that are powerful enough that I saw someone compare getting to the top 10 without any akin to making it to the end of a normal BR game with white rarity equipment. You have a bunch of ways of automatically targeting players offensively/defensively or even trying to snipe them yourself so you're not necessarily hoping your junk blocks go where they cause the most damage on their own. Also it speeds up progressively to force things to happen.

There aren't really many ways you can make Tetris BR-like though, and it's mostly a gimmick, but there's something about it I find really satisfying.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Augus posted:

There is no bush, only the well.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I wish I could spectate the boards of other people once I get KO'd

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Phone posted:

getting a guide seems dumb because it's just going to say to go to playonline.com on every other page

I just need you to know how much I loved and appreciated this.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ime just making sure your board's clean will get you around the halfway point, but to really push into higher ranks you need to set up and clear multiple lines both to attack and clear your own queued garbage

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Modus Pwnens posted:

I'm finding it's better to hang on to that tetris for defense, or until you can build up a back-to-back and then attack.

But if you're at the endgame and like 4 people target you at once, you're pretty boned no matter what

I like to hang on to two Tetris worth in the early game, but I fear that if I try to set it up later on, I'd get screwed over by other people before I can react.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BattleMaster posted:

I was a little sore about paying for multiplayer that was still peer-to-peer

I'm not stanning for the overall Nintendo Online experience but a lot of games, including fighting games, will always be better peer-to-peer. Dedicated servers are not intrinsically better and can often add unacceptable latency, and can never reduce it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not stanning for the overall Nintendo Online experience but a lot of games, including fighting games, will always be better peer-to-peer. Dedicated servers are not intrinsically better and can often add unacceptable latency, and can never reduce it.

If both players have good connections that's true but if one player has a poor connection then they're the only one punished for the lag.

It's probably not worth it for a 2-player fighting game but I'd love it for Splatoon so I don't have to deal with kids on McDonald's wi-fi or whatever.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I like to hang on to two Tetris worth in the early game, but I fear that if I try to set it up later on, I'd get screwed over by other people before I can react.

When I get to that point I'm basically just hanging on for dear life, but just from an armchair quarterback standpoint, by clearing that tetris without another line-clearing piece in reserve (like either a straight piece or an orange L), you were left without any way to defend. Even having a single or a double can give you breathing room. I'm not 100% sure but it feels like clearing a line delays the garbage from coming too.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

enojy posted:

The last time I turned it on was for Mario Odyssey, and the only other game I care about is Animal Crossing. Please Understand.

I understand, you want whatever cute design ends up on the Animal Crossing system. I’m just teasing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BattleMaster posted:

If both players have good connections that's true but if one player has a poor connection then they're the only one punished for the lag.

It's probably not worth it for a 2-player fighting game but I'd love it for Splatoon so I don't have to deal with kids on McDonald's wi-fi or whatever.

That's absolutely not how fighting game netcode works at all.

Now, if Smash had GGPR I'd be ecstatic but dedicated servers would not solve any meaningful problems.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://www.twitch.tv/kevinddr

Tetris GMs FRAGGING people in T99

https://clips.twitch.tv/PhilanthropicStupidGazelleChefFrank

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 15, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I like the detailed results screen in DxM. It's neat seeing detailed graphs on weapon usage/damage taken over the course of the level. I haven't really played other mech games like Armored Core to know if its a standard feature or not.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Uncanny Valley is terrible and assuming it hasn't been fixed from its original release is hilariously buggy.

It's a choice-driven game programmed so badly that it sometimes showed me the final part of a quest without me ever activating the beginning. The player character sometimes spawns in the wrong part of the room, it sometimes won't load your inventory screen, text boxes appear on top of each other and don't clear properly, the complete wrong animation sometimes plays when you try to do something, etc.

Thank you for this, I will be avoiding it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Everslain posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/kevinddr

Tetris GMs FRAGGING people in T99
Yeah better hope he's not in your game cause :lol: good luck

Just watched him crush a whole line of people god drat.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 15, 2019

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah better hope he's not in your game cause :lol: good luck

Just watched him crush a whole line of people god drat.

Every game he starts out targeted by like 10 dudes and he just sends a shitload of lines at them all.

e: ok this time it was only 4 :v:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How's the FFIX port? Are battles 15fps like the FFVII Steam port?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/yusuke8shimoto/status/1096212621995302912?s=21
I wonder if this has anything to do with why we haven’t seen anything of Bayonetta 3 yet.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Fun Times! posted:

How's the FFIX port? Are battles 15fps like the FFVII Steam port?

https://twitter.com/Yev162/status/1096214800177147904

It both looks and plays awesome so far. It is still FF9, but the turbo mode booster is nice. This is just a quick recording w/o turbo mode.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Thank you for this, I will be avoiding it.

I hope you get Cattails and then tell me about it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does T99 explain any of the new stuff anywhere? What do those options the right stick selects do? What are badges? What is a “Tetris”?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Unmature posted:

Does T99 explain any of the new stuff anywhere? What do those options the right stick selects do? What are badges? What is a “Tetris”?

A Tetris is when you clear four lines at once. Tetris 99 does not contain an in-game tutorial.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

A Tetris is when you clear four lines at once. Tetris 99 does not contain an in-game tutorial.

Nope I don’t think that’s right.

Anyway here’s a good tutorial from Kotaku if anyone else needs it. https://kotaku.com/tetris-99-doesnt-have-a-tutorial-so-heres-what-you-need-1832626364

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Huge Dead Cells overhaul today. Definitely going to try a few runs and see how it feels.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Unmature posted:

Nope I don’t think that’s right.

Anyway here’s a good tutorial from Kotaku if anyone else needs it. https://kotaku.com/tetris-99-doesnt-have-a-tutorial-so-heres-what-you-need-1832626364

quote:

... clearing four lines, a tetris, ...

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Is ff9 the mobile port version with the huge lovely menus that cover half the screen during battle