Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Der Meister posted:

yea but they saw movies about it and stuff

They think they're all gonna get to go live in a big mansion out in the country and discover a magical gateway in a wardrobe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

so, we need to talk, britain

now that america has successfully evaded a giga shutdown, the onus is now on you guys to gently caress up the world economy

I believe in you. you can do it!

it’d be fun to see a independent scotland and a united ireland happen at roughly the same time

you guys should make that happen

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

*Coping with Brexit by conjuring the Spirit of the Somme*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spirit of the Suez seems more appropriate

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my whole life ive been one of those american nerds who fantasized about buying a hobbit hole in some stupid village in the midlands full of gammons, swan rapists, and, uh, whoever else lives out there, but that is increasingly remote and implausible.

maybe after all the english are dead people from across the atlantic can recolonize the virgin, primeval land of albion

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Frog Act posted:

my whole life ive been one of those american nerds who fantasized about buying a hobbit hole in some stupid village in the midlands full of gammons, swan rapists, and, uh, whoever else lives out there, but that is increasingly remote and implausible.

maybe after all the english are dead people from across the atlantic can recolonize the virgin, primeval land of albion

Why do you want to heal the land of an infection only to replace it with an even worse one?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Brexit is real and it sank Atlantis

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

bitmap posted:

drat guys im starting to think that for some unfathomable reason there are a bunch of tories who want to rule over a loving wasteland with no eu regulatory oversight when it comes to human and worker rights

I kinda used to feel like "Hey the UK took a different route to modernity than France, without the bloody aristocrat killing revolution or five, and it all basically worked out in the end."
And um well.... thinking you guys should have been killing the aristocrats when you had the chance.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Frog Act posted:

What do we call it though?

New New England?
New Old England?
Old New England?
East Wales?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Grape posted:

I kinda used to feel like "Hey the UK took a different route to modernity than France, without the bloody aristocrat killing revolution or five, and it all basically worked out in the end."
And um well.... thinking you guys should have been killing the aristocrats when you had the chance.

lmao they had a republic in their grasp and they put the aristocrats back

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Frog Act posted:

Imagine wanting to live in a quaint homey countryside and wanting to do it in England but not Ireland.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dont be mean to me posted:

all they could conceive of was to make oliver cromwell king after a couple of years

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Imagine wanting to live in a quaint homey countryside and wanting to do it in England but not Ireland.

no

i won't

you can't make me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Its within a 74 county Ireland!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The moment one of you yank fucks sets foot here I will kill you and use your flesh to fashion a variety of pouches, belts and webbing.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regarde Aduck posted:

The moment one of you yank fucks sets foot here I will kill you and use your flesh to fashion a variety of pouches, belts and webbing.

:blastu:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

dont be mean to me posted:

Cromwell was a monster so he really screwed the pooch on that one shot, but his main crimes were murdering and ethnic cleansing Irish people, so you'd think the English would have loved that??

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grape posted:

Cromwell was a monster so he really screwed the pooch on that one shot, but his main crimes were murdering and ethnic cleansing Irish people, so you'd think the English would have loved that??

Didn't it really fall apart when Cromwell died and his failson took over?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

42 and not a single hitchhiker reference. smh.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Didn't it really fall apart when Cromwell died and his failson took over?

Straight back to the monarchy with hardly a pause in between.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

incoherent posted:

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” So said Douglas Adams.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

incoherent posted:

So Long, and Thanks For All The Fash.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Quicksilver6 posted:

I know there’s a lot of self delusion involved but I still can’t quite believe May’s behavior. It’s one thing to to hold on to the job by doing bullshit the tories think they want- it’s quite another to agree to burn the whole place down because not immolating everything would be unpopular.

Theresa May has less behavioural flexibility than an earthworm. If an earthworm is tunnelling happily away and encounters negative stimuli, it'll try to avoid it.

It's not even a joke. She genuinely seems incapable of realising she could just, y'know, take her hand off the stove

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wasn’t a parliamentary republic that arose from the civil war going to be an aristocratic republic?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Quicksilver6 posted:

why do they keep bringing up “spirit of the blitz” when they are not under attack by a foreign power and no one is blitzing anyone

stolen valor, op. Fat boomer idiots like to reminisce about cities being bombed to dust and exiling children to rural communities and Anderson Shelters and surviving on whatever food scraps made it across the atlantic, even though they weren't alive to experience any of it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

kecske posted:

stolen valor, op. Fat boomer idiots like to reminisce about cities being bombed to dust and exiling children to rural communities and Anderson Shelters and surviving on whatever food scraps made it across the atlantic, even though they weren't alive to experience any of it

So it's really C.S. Lewis' fault.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

The Netherlands will always be remembered fondly for its invention of De Kapsalon.

salad?? get this bullshit HSP knock-off out of my face

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
No no, it's mostly French fries and meat, the lettuce is decorative

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Frog Act posted:

You can buy a house in Sicily for a dollar if you promise to fix it up and live in it. The weather and food there are orders of magnitude better than England.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Nothus posted:

You can buy a house in Sicily for a dollar if you promise to fix it up and live in it. The weather and food there are orders of magnitude better than England.

Yeah, the pizza almost makes the pizzo worth it.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Nothus posted:

What, really? Where do I sign up?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Britgoon colony in Sicily couldn't do worse than Goon Island... surely.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

twoday posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn.com/travel/amp/one-dollar-home-sambuca-sicily-italy/index.html

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Theresa May has less behavioural flexibility than an earthworm. If an earthworm is tunnelling happily away and encounters negative stimuli, it'll try to avoid it.

It's not even a joke. She genuinely seems incapable of realising she could just, y'know, take her hand off the stove

The politicians and the media obviously wouldn't want to talk about it but I wonder how many of them are just worried about being assassinated by probrexit psychos. When was the last time an English politician was murdered before jo cox?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A Britgoon colony in Sicily couldn't do worse than Goon Island... surely.

They would 100% be sold on the Lybian slave market within weeks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

The politicians and the media obviously wouldn't want to talk about it but I wonder how many of them are just worried about being assassinated by probrexit psychos. When was the last time an English politician was murdered before jo cox?

a bit of googling makes me thing it was Andrew James Pennington, in 2001, who was killed with a samurai sword

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

coathat posted:

They would 100% be sold on the Lybian slave market within weeks

I fail to see a downside.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Brits do not have the skin to live too long on the Mediterranean. You folks turn into human lobsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

twoday posted:

Wouldn't get your hopes up. Those sorts of deals are pretty common publicity stunts and are always shitholes with strings attached committing you to investing in renovations.