Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

aegof posted:

Add Bladesinger to the list, the class that gets Wizard encounter powers as daily powers.

The Bladesinger is one of those classes that plays better than it reads. The ability to drop a point of damage and debuff anywhere is surprisingly useful, and a burning hands at +2 to hit and +5 damage absolutely is powerful enough for a daily. It's a little weird, but once they'd explored most of the standard AEDU design space it's one of the more interesting things they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

neonchameleon posted:

The Bladesinger is one of those classes that plays better than it reads. The ability to drop a point of damage and debuff anywhere is surprisingly useful, and a burning hands at +2 to hit and +5 damage absolutely is powerful enough for a daily. It's a little weird, but once they'd explored most of the standard AEDU design space it's one of the more interesting things they did.

Int/Dex is a pain, though

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Bladesinger is definitely bad, but it's technically functional, but also only mostly technically, and it's most certainly not a controller.

Most e-classes suffer bad from only really being designed around the first ten levels of the game, and even then only kinda being "designed." That's what hurts Hexblade so much. Once you leave mid-Heroic, they just...don't really get much of anything. Essentials is where we saw how bad Mearls' design chops would be, but is more importantly also where we saw just how loving lazy his design was.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A lot of Essentials classes have paragon levels where they're picking from the dregs of their level 1 options.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

The Crotch posted:

A lot of Essentials classes have paragon levels where they're picking from the dregs of their level 1 options.

Now glance back at the Battlemaster Fighter from 5e.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Anyone use Fantasy Grounds for 4e? I just realized I had this sitting in my Steam library for a few years and never booted it up. I clicked around for a few minutes and it looks like it is missing a bunch of the material. But some of the rules are supported.

I saw the ddi parser utility. I’m wondering if one one has used the offline builder to populate all of the powers/classes/races/items.

Regardless, is FG good for 4e even with minimal out-of-box support?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Short answer yes, it handles initiative, targeting and effects fine. However, there are tools that import all of the powers into the game, and that makes it by far the best way to run 4e online.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, aside from some little nitpicky issues with figuring out how to use features like Hunter's Quarry, it works very well.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I played in like a four year campaign on fantasy grounds for 4e. I'm not sure how it is for dms, but it was pretty easy to use for a player.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
I found a link to purchase a DDI subscription so I can grab the materials and use them for Fantasy Grounds. But after putting the 1-month subscription into the shopping cart and the site asking me to provide my WotC credentials it just hangs. I'm hoping there's maintenance or something going on with Digital River, and not something like access has finally been taken down.

Anyone recently re-up their DDI?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dremcon posted:

I found a link to purchase a DDI subscription so I can grab the materials and use them for Fantasy Grounds. But after putting the 1-month subscription into the shopping cart and the site asking me to provide my WotC credentials it just hangs. I'm hoping there's maintenance or something going on with Digital River, and not something like access has finally been taken down.

Anyone recently re-up their DDI?

I did a few months ago and it went fine.

EDIT: Fantasy Grounds has 1180 items of DLC and all I can find for 4E are two adventures. Is there a 4E PHB/DMG/MM selection that I'm missing?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 13, 2019

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

EDIT: Fantasy Grounds has 1180 items of DLC and all I can find for 4E are two adventures. Is there a 4E PHB/DMG/MM selection that I'm missing?

I don't think there's a licensing agreement for 4e, so that content isn't supported directly through FG. That's why I'm trying to grab the info with a 1-month subscription and load it into FG myself. I sent a support email to Digital River, the company behind the e-shop, since I'm now getting an error saying store.digitalriver.com isn't responding (and yet I can navigate there myself). Fingers crossed something wasn't pulled. Maybe Wizards just takes forever for their database to update and push with my new account info?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I also have custom tokens and maps for Slaying Stone if you want that, I dont have anything beyond that yet.

Edit: here it is http://imgur.com/a/tkKqLJA

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 13, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dremcon posted:

I don't think there's a licensing agreement for 4e, so that content isn't supported directly through FG. That's why I'm trying to grab the info with a 1-month subscription and load it into FG myself. I sent a support email to Digital River, the company behind the e-shop, since I'm now getting an error saying store.digitalriver.com isn't responding (and yet I can navigate there myself). Fingers crossed something wasn't pulled. Maybe Wizards just takes forever for their database to update and push with my new account info?

That store page doesn't appear to exist anymore, it just redirects to the main page.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Could someone else try to get to the purchase page for DDI? Here's the link:
http://gc.digitalriver.com/store/dndi/html/pbPage.wizards

Select 1-month subscription, and then when you get to the page that asks for your username/password, enter that. Please let me know if you can get past that page or if it hangs up.

Digital River hasn't responded, but Wizards Support is telling me it should be working.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Dremcon posted:

Could someone else try to get to the purchase page for DDI? Here's the link:
http://gc.digitalriver.com/store/dndi/html/pbPage.wizards

Select 1-month subscription, and then when you get to the page that asks for your username/password, enter that. Please let me know if you can get past that page or if it hangs up.

Digital River hasn't responded, but Wizards Support is telling me it should be working.

It's hanging for me too.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Dremcon posted:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Go to pinned messages in the 4e channel of my discord

Working on art+tokens but everything else is converted for use FG

Edit: Also, there are linked for the CBLoader offline Char Builder, and the offline compendium which is up to date and an invaluable tool.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 18, 2019

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Spiteski posted:

Cool poo poo

Awesome thank you. I’ll give this a shot later tonight. I’ve been in WotC Support hell with them trying to tell me it is a problem with my account, or saying that they have no record of my purchase (no poo poo, that’s what I’m trying to do).

Right now they transferred my help ticket to another team. Whatever the final outcome I’ll update the thread.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

See if you can convince them to update their software from Solverlight while you are at it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

To make sure I'm remembering correctly: it's suggested that you give out +1 to hit/tier, and +1 NAD/tier by default to the PCs, right? Any other math fixes I should be aware of?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

To make sure I'm remembering correctly: it's suggested that you give out +1 to hit/tier, and +1 NAD/tier by default to the PCs, right? Any other math fixes I should be aware of?

The usual fixes are:

+1 to Fort/Ref/Will defenses per tier

+1 to attack rolls per tier

give the "Melee Training" feat for free, which lets players use any different ability score they want to add to their Basic Melee Attacks, but only half of the modifier is added to the damage roll

and the Inherent Bonuses rule, if you want to use it:

Attack and Damage – All characters gain a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls at 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, 22nd, and 27th level. When characters score a critical hit, they deal an extra 1d6 damage per +1 enhancement bonus to their attack rolls.

Defenses – All characters gain a +1 enhancement bonus to AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will at 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th, 24th, and 29th level.

These bonuses stack.

If you have a magical item that provides an enhancement bonus to attack, damage, or defenses, you may choose to use that bonus, or the enhancement bonus you’re receiving from this rule (unless otherwise noted). You may use a magical weapon to attack with a power but use your enhancement bonuses to attack and damage – if you do so you may still use the critical bonus and properties of the weapon.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The usual fixes are:

+1 to Fort/Ref/Will defenses per tier

+1 to attack rolls per tier

give the "Melee Training" feat for free, which lets players use any different ability score they want to add to their Basic Melee Attacks, but only half of the modifier is added to the damage roll

and the Inherent Bonuses rule, if you want to use it:

Attack and Damage – All characters gain a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls at 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, 22nd, and 27th level. When characters score a critical hit, they deal an extra 1d6 damage per +1 enhancement bonus to their attack rolls.

Defenses – All characters gain a +1 enhancement bonus to AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will at 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th, 24th, and 29th level.

These bonuses stack.

If you have a magical item that provides an enhancement bonus to attack, damage, or defenses, you may choose to use that bonus, or the enhancement bonus you’re receiving from this rule (unless otherwise noted). You may use a magical weapon to attack with a power but use your enhancement bonuses to attack and damage – if you do so you may still use the critical bonus and properties of the weapon.

Inherent bonuses is almost the most important thing to do, because it shuts off and elegantly replaces the very bad item treadmill system.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah I was already doing inherent bonuses and the basic attack thing, so cool. Thanks! Just wish it was easier to implement the other math fixes in the CB

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

There is, though. Have everyone take two extra feats: Improved Defenses and an appropriate Implement or Weapon Expertise (or one of the more powerful ones from Essentials if you're feeling more generous).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A fun way to deal with the gaps between high non-AC defense and low non-AC defense at high paragon/epic tiers is to change how ability score increases work: you just always give people +1 to each score at every increase, rather than doing +1 to two at levels ending with 4 and 8 but +1 to all at levels ending with 1. That way a starting array of 18/14/11/10/10/8 (before racial bonuses) becomes an array of 26/22/19/18/18/16 by the end of the game, and the spread between your defenses doesn't get huge. Under this schema you might want to disallow those epic "just take a +4 untyped bonus to an NAD of your choice" feats since I think they were supposed to fix this issue and could make PCs impregnable.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Can someone just put this in the OP at this point?

I know I've asked at least twice off the top of my head. I love this game but it's got so much fiddly addition bullshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

Can someone just put this in the OP at this point?

I know I've asked at least twice off the top of my head. I love this game but it's got so much fiddly addition bullshit.

dwarf74 posted:

All good things must come to an end (because WotC is bad at internet), and DDI is no longer accepting new subscribers as of December, 2015. Fear not, however! Forum hero gradenko_2000 has put together a very nice must-have list for a post-DDI world, now that basically everything 4e is up on dndclassics. Check it out!

It technically already is in the OP.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well then I'm just a big dumb idiot who's been subscribed to this thread for too long so I forgot what the OP even looks like.

Sorry.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Dremcon posted:

Right now they transferred my help ticket to another team. Whatever the final outcome I’ll update the thread.

Wizards Support Team Update - they have gone completely silent. After saying they were transferring me to an escalation team, I have heard nothing from them. I’ve pinged them every couple days, getting terser each time (but staying polite in case they drop my help ticket for being inappropriate/rude) and still nothing.

What a lovely service. If DDI is dead just say so you fucks.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Question about Bards. If I'm leading a party of Agile Opportunist characters, and we're using pre-errata Agile Opportunist, which is better to do? Virtue of Cunning to get the slides more often and trigger their Agile Opportunist more often, along with Entrancing Mystic as a thing sorta fitting the character concept, or Virtue of Valor, and go War Chanter to give allies a meaty +con bonus to hit and damage on the turn I slide them with powers?

Also is it possible to just go Valor/War Chanter and then just use a staff + ranged powers anyways, just to get War Chanter for the action point ability?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm not sure what Agile Opportunist was like pre-errata, but to answer your latter question: yes, but remember that you need to be within 5 squares of allies to trigger your Virtue of Valor trait, and most Valor-tagged powers are going to be melee or close. Not saying you can't do it, just that it limits your options somewhat. You could use a rhythm blade dagger or two-hand the staff implement as a quarterstaff to be able to make use of those powers, though, so you could make it work.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

pre-errata, Agile Opportunist made allies take an opportunity action instead of making them take an immediate interrupt.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I just thought of a bunch of duelist for every house and nation in Eberron... Are their dueling rules? Assuming not, does anyone have suggestions on a story that might involve a bunch of duelist?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dueling is historically a vice of nobles and military officers. Any campaign where the PCs are footloose ex-soldiers or non-inheriting nobles can accommodate that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm starting a new game of 4e this weekend and I'm super excited about it. It's been years since I've gotten to play D&D (my last group died and all my attempts at putting together new ones flopped), and one of the players is new and super fuckin' hyped to play, and it's rubbing off on me and getting me more and more excited to start. :dance:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vandar posted:

I'm starting a new game of 4e this weekend and I'm super excited about it. It's been years since I've gotten to play D&D (my last group died and all my attempts at putting together new ones flopped), and one of the players is new and super fuckin' hyped to play, and it's rubbing off on me and getting me more and more excited to start. :dance:

Hell yeah, dude!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Vandar posted:

and one of the players is new and super fuckin' hyped to play, and it's rubbing off on me and getting me more and more excited to start. :dance:

What's the hype dude playin

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What's the hype dude playin

Drow monk. :v: I was flipping through PHBs showing him races and he immediately latched onto the drow. It’s okay though, I’ve got some ideas for that.

The other two players are a Shadar-Kai Swordmage and a Human Cleric. I think it’s going to be a fun group.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Emo Squad and The Reverend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Those are pretty fun, you may wish to give a lot of environmental options for extra damage here or there, since that crew runs the potential for low output, thus long fights.