Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Until they’re named and provide something other than hearsay, bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Lightning Knight posted:

Until they’re named and provide something other than hearsay, bullshit.

Already being denied by the police, and by 20th Century Fox.

https://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/ny-ent-jussie-smollett-empire-attack-20190214-story.html

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I don't know if that report is accurate. Getting conflicting signals from all over twitter.

Of course, I got probated for a week for even wondering if this might be a possibility, so I should just shut up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Oh Gods why did I get probated for suggesting a queer black man lynched himself the same week a famous white man admitted to prowling the streets with intent to commit a hate crime in this month designated for black history? no it is the mods who are wrong

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wasn't that the "Why would these people looking for a black man to lynch also be carrying bleach?" thing?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Koalas March posted:

Oh Gods why did I get probated for suggesting a queer black man lynched himself the same week a famous white man admitted to prowling the streets with intent to commit a hate crime in this month designated for black history? no it is the mods who are wrong

In their defense, it certainly is suspicious why two people would be just out on the streets wearing ski masks in the middle of a Chicago winter on one of the coldest nights of the year.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
https://twitter.com/RobElgasABC7/status/1096217469105172480?s=19

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

Don’t know if this was official yet, but Amazon is definitely out of NYC

https://twitter.com/jdavidgoodman/status/1096087641953632258?s=21

I'm impressed.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BristolSOF posted:

The US National debt surpassed 22 trillion for the first time.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/13/tha...national%20debt

Meh. The debt is just the accumulated deficit and except for a few years following the 2007 housing market collapse, the deficit and GDP have been within a few percent of each other since the end of WW2. That's not a coincidence.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Best part is all the people that used insider information to speculate on snapping up housing are taking it on the chin with this. Hope they go loving bankrupt and a homeless person gets their property.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I only watched the first season and a half of Empire (I have two brothers of my own and couldn’t stand watching the ones on TV continually stab each other in the back) but how in the gently caress do you write out one of the sons and major characters of a show centered around being a family drama? This isn’t loving Game of Thrones here.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's either that or people having to admit that they benefit from oppression, and I'm just rolling on the floor laughing, if you think these people are capable of that.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Koalas March posted:

In this case you were though

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Koalas March posted:

No, I was the one who was wrong. I admit it, and I served my time and I deserved it. I'm not sure why I posted. The incident just seemed so, I don't know, stereotypical. Too perfect of a story, with every hateful box checked. Like a movie script written by an 8th grader.

I do not ever want to downplay the seriousness of that crime, or of the societal problems that people of color and gay people both face. I don't want to pretend that things like this don't happen, because of course they do. I don't want to claim that white people like me don't take them seriously enough, because of course we don't. I intended none of those things, but I see how I did them anyway.

I don't know what I was thinking. I hosed up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

predicto posted:

No, I was the one who was wrong. I admit it, and I served my time and I deserved it. I'm not sure why I posted. The incident just seemed so, I don't know, stereotypical. Too perfect of a story, with every hateful box checked. Like a movie script written by an 8th grader.

I do not ever want to downplay the seriousness of that crime, or of the societal problems that people of color and gay people both face. I don't want to pretend that things like this don't happen, because of course they do. I don't want to claim that white people like me don't take them seriously enough, because of course we don't. I intended none of those things, but I see how I did them anyway.

Shockingly, bigoted shitlords tend to lack imagination. Like if your bigoted view of people is cliched and stereotypical, big surprise that your actions are, too.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
46 Indian soldiers killed in Kashmir. I will be surprised if Modi restrains himself to just diplomatic and economic sanctions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-india-47249133

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

predicto posted:

a lot of people think it is fake, no one wants to take the brunt the same bullshit you are taking right now. It's why the police and the Chicago news are doing the back and forth dance right now, the police are looking into it and the media think that is the story but no one wants to be called out on it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1096434491797721088

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, what can congress do about a declaration of national emergency?

Or hasn't it ever come up before?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, what can congress do about a declaration of national emergency?

Or hasn't it ever come up before?

They can vote against it, and may soon. However, Trump can veto that.

The house could then try to sue. However, there's a good chance they won't have standing.

That is fine though, because plenty of people and entities who undoubtably do have standing are going to sue and tie him up in court through the 2020 elections.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It's also not in the Republican's best interests to let this happen.

They don't have a great record on Presidential elections, and have a much more solid grip on the Senate. Taking power away from them and giving it to the White House is not a great long term plan.

Also:

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1096443896245219330

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Under the National Emergencies Act, or NEA, both chambers of Congress can pass a resolution terminating any presidentially declared national emergency.

But McConnell will kill the senate version through a parliamentary maneuver to avoid members of his caucus being forced to go on record.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If it passes the house, McConnell apparently can't block a vote. Pelosi is going to jam the Senate into voting yes or no on the emergency declaration

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The Senate makes their own rules, and nothing a prior Senate passes is effectively binding on them. I'm not really sure it's possible to make the Senate vote on something if both the majority and the Majority Leader don't want to bring it to a vote.

You can try to frame killing it as greenlighting the policy, but Republicans have a lot more rhetorical room to maneuver there.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Senate makes their own rules, and nothing a prior Senate passes is effectively binding on them. I'm not really sure it's possible to make the Senate vote on something if both the majority and the Majority Leader don't want to bring it to a vote.

You can try to frame killing it as greenlighting the policy, but Republicans have a lot more rhetorical room to maneuver there.

This is not a mere rule which is going to force the Senate into a vote. It is a law.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Senate makes their own rules, and nothing a prior Senate passes is effectively binding on them.

Something that a prior Congress passes which is signed into law is binding on them though.

Like the Senate can't just decide to ignore the Stop Trading On Congressional Knowledge Act because the Senate can set its own rules of parliamentary procedure. (Unless the Senate and House pass a new bill which becomes a law to let them)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 15, 2019

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Something that a prior Congress passes which is signed into law is binding on them though.

Like the Senate can't just decide to ignore the Stop Trading On Congressional Knowledge Act because the Senate can set its own rules of parliamentary procedure. (Unless the Senate and House pass a new bill which becomes a law to let them)
You're conflating the ability to make individual Senators do things versus the ability to make the Senate as an institution do things. Senators can't murder and blackmail at will because they're above the law, but you also can't pass the "The Federal Death Penalty is Hereby Repealed and the Senate is Forevermore Prohibited From Voting to Reinstate It Act of 2020" even if both houses vote in favor of it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

You're conflating the ability to make individual Senators do things versus the ability to make the Senate as an institution do things. Senators can't murder and blackmail at will because they're above the law, but you also can't pass the "The Federal Death Penalty is Hereby Repealed and the Senate is Forevermore Prohibited From Voting to Reinstate It Act of 2020" even if both houses vote in favor of it.

Preventing a vote is obviously unconstitutional because it would violate Article 1 because all legislative power is specifically granted to Congress and a law can't take that away.

Nothing about forcing a vote would violate Article 1.

E: you could make the argument that the phrase "each House may determine the rules of its proceedings" supersedes the law, but it's not clear-cut. Presumably the Senate rules couldn't, for example, authorize duels to the death on the Senate floor. One possible interpretation is "each House may determine the rules of its proceedings without needing to pass them into federal law". Another possible interpretation is "each House may determine the rules of its proceedings regardless of federal law". I'm not aware of any judicial rulings on the subject, but the second interpretation would lead to obvious problems (for example wrt to federal dueling bans among other things)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 15, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

Under the National Emergencies Act, or NEA, both chambers of Congress can pass a resolution terminating any presidentially declared national emergency.

But McConnell will kill the senate version through a parliamentary maneuver to avoid members of his caucus being forced to go on record.

Don't forget that a resolution is just another bill passed by Congress and Trump will be able to veto it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget that a resolution is just another bill passed by Congress and Trump will be able to veto it.

And he almost certainly will, but the damage to Senate Republicans that they care about will have been done by that point. As soon as pissbaby president signed the emergency declaration he ripped off Turtle McFuckface's shell and gave him nothing to retreat in to. He can't just bottle this one up and refuse to acknowledge it. As soon as the house passes that resolution against the declaration every last one of them has to do the thing that a lot of them have been dreading since day one, a no-bullshit up-or-down vote for or against their base's strong-daddy leader.

The ones in ruby-red MAGA central are cool with that, they'll vote against it and the CHUDs will love them for it. Everybody else that had any worries about 2020 just got a loving boat anchor tied around their necks. Say no to the glorious leader and be ripped apart by ravenous right wing wolves or say yes to his actions and write every last attack ad against them for the next two years.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 15, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

VitalSigns posted:

Preventing a vote is obviously unconstitutional because it would violate Article 1 because all legislative power is specifically granted to Congress and a law can't take that away.

Nothing about forcing a vote would violate Article 1.

E: you could make the argument that the phrase "each House may determine the rules of its proceedings" supersedes the law, but it's not clear-cut. Presumably the Senate rules couldn't, for example, authorize duels to the death on the Senate floor.

Since Ted Cruz isn't lying dead in a pool of his own ichor within the well of the Senate, duels to the death are clearly beyond the power of the Senate.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

If it gets to the President's desk, the damage is already done. McConnell will do everything in his power to keep it from going that far. If nothing else, he'll kill consideration of it on a voice vote.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dead Reckoning posted:

If it gets to the President's desk, the damage is already done. McConnell will do everything in his power to keep it from going that far. If nothing else, he'll kill consideration of it on a voice vote.

i don't think he can even do that with this.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

Any senator can demand (and get) a roll call vote after a voice vote.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Random Stranger posted:

There is always value in forcing the President to veto poo poo. There's always the chance he doesn't have the spine to do it, and if he does it still hurts him.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The dumbest man alive

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yo do have to hand it to Donny, nobody else ducks up surefire executive acts like him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1096443896245219330

Is this on tape?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 16, 2019

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

It was a live news conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

"I didn't need to do this" clip seems like it would be the centerpiece of any number of campaign ads for 2020.