Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

rolleyes posted:

Funnily enough that's one I was considering but I decided to go with the Canon for the extra 2mm at the wide end, which is a much bigger difference than it sounds.

They're close otherwise though. From reading reviews (pixel peeping links below) the Canon has marginally better image quality and greater range, at the cost of narrower apertures. The Sigma wins on aperture and, as you say, is significantly cheaper.

Canon: https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/465-canon_1585_3556is

Sigma: https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/517-sigma1770f284osapsc
For how much the 15-85 costs, I'd rather have the 24-105L f/4 or the 24-70L f/4, honestly. I don't often need the ultrawide <24mm setting walking around, but if you do, yeah, that extra 2mm is a fair amount of difference.

The 17-50 f/2.8 is the sweet spot for me. I rarely need more reach than 50mm on a crop sensor, 17 is very wide, and the lens is nice and light, which is the biggest pro in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Yeah to me the extra range at the wide end is useful. I mostly do outdoor stuff - landscapes and nature, but that often includes close-in detail shots so the extra magnification at the long end is also useful.

I could carry two smaller lenses to cover the same range. They'd probably be sharper and would definitely have better aperture options, but they'd also be heavier and having to change between them would be a hassle particularly in poor weather. Having a single lens that can do all of that "well enough" is useful to me when I'm out hiking or traveling, and then I can use primes for other situations.

As always, everything's a trade-off or compromise in the end.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

hope and vaseline posted:

If you want to compromise with a little less on the long end, there's also the Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4, and it's $300 less (new) than the canon. This has been my walkaround lens for a little under a year now. Good sharpness, though not quite as good as the Sigma 17-50 2.8, and has a little bit of a weird distortion at 70mm, but otherwise I really like it.
The 17-70 also has a pretty decent Macro ability, even at 17mm. You can get some pretty interesting results with it.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I looked in a few forums and threads but I didn't see any better suited place for this question, and since I've been on this thread for years, I thought why not?

A friend of mine is going around the world with his family (wife and two girls), for a year, starting in a few weeks. He's set up a site (WP) to blog and document and to share the trip with his other family as happens.

He has a Lumix (not Canon!) camera and it takes 13MB photos. I'm helping him pick out two sturdy/rugged external 2.5" drives for storage (2 1TB drives I figure). He and I figured he will have to sometimes wait up to 3 weeks to get to 'civilization' to be able to deal with the Internet and uploading, and so I'm going to suggest he have 4x 32GB storage cards for this camera. That'll give him about 600 pics a day for 3 weeks, (which includes some short movies).

But his other question to me was - what service for hosting photos for his WP, for ease (and cloud backup), should he choose? I believe he has used G-Drive fairly extensively previously. But what about 'photo' specific services? Pro's & cons? What's best? How much? I don't know much about them. Definitely not any first hand knowledge in 2019. Also, what am I forgetting or not considering (regarding storage/services)?

Thanks goons, in advance! :tipshat:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I'd say the main other consideration is that, even in "civilisation", uploading 128gb of photos is going to take him a long, long time. Backing them all up if the intervals really are that infrequent may not be practical.

In terms of cloud storage, of he pays for Flickr Pro then it's basically unlimited. Amazon Prime also includes some level of cloud photo storage but I've no idea how much.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

rolleyes posted:

I'd say the main other consideration is that, even in "civilisation", uploading 128gb of photos is going to take him a long, long time. Backing them all up if the intervals really are that infrequent may not be practical.

In terms of cloud storage, of he pays for Flickr Pro then it's basically unlimited. Amazon Prime also includes some level of cloud photo storage but I've no idea how much.

Flickr is probably the best for combination "backup" and web-hosting. Things like GDrive/Amazon/Dropbox/Onedrive are all fine for backups, but would probably more of a hassle for embedding them on a blog.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have 1,000 photos on my Flickr and can't upload anymore because of their new limit for free users :shepicide:

I had like 1,300 but I had to delete a bunch to be at the limit.

I could pay for Flickr Premium, and I have before years ago, but truth be told I haven't done much with photography lately and it wouldn't be worth it to me right now.

I'm still using a T2i and I'd like to upgrade to an 80D one of these days if I'm able to, because my current camera is almost a decade old lol. It's showing its age, too. The built-in flash no longer works and sometimes it spits error codes at me and I have to turn it off and back on again to use it.

Maybe if I ever upgrade to the 80D, that'll get me off my rear end to do more with photography and I'll pay for Flickr Pro then. I've been using the site for like 9 years and it really is an excellent way to display photos you've taken. It's sort of like a digital scrapbook for me.

It sucks that there's a cap on how many photos free users can upload now, but I guess that was inevitable. I don't even remember what the benefits to Flickr Premium used to be when I had it. That was a while back and feels like a lifetime ago.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Djimi posted:

I looked in a few forums and threads but I didn't see any better suited place for this question, and since I've been on this thread for years, I thought why not?

Thanks goons, in advance! :tipshat:

Video will take up much more storage, he should look into SD/CF cards bigger than 32gb (64+ IMO for that work), and Flickr is definitely the storage choice for online. Pro is like $50/year for backup that also has pretty solid sharing functionality.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rolleyes posted:

Amazon prime storage is unlimited, and it’ll accept raw files. You’re right though—it does take forever to upload. If you’ve got access to fast wifi it’s not too heinous, but any cheaper services will be painfully slow. When we were staying with my in-laws over the holidays it’d take a handful of hours to upload <100 raw files. 128 gb worth of photos could hypothetically take days.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
People have covered the photo backups solution. For the hard drives, I suggest going with a reputable SSD and sticking them in a 2.5" enclosure. They're much more affordable lately. G Drives are nice, but there's only so much you can do to protect something mechanical that'll travel around the world. (and I'd assume their SSD variants are probably significantly pricier)

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. He seemed to not want to go with Flickr for some reason (a past experience). He's looking at Cloudinary and PCloud (there's a lifetime one-time payment) because they have some WP functionality.

I will pass along the physical storage ideas to him as well. He leaves later than I thought, July. So he has time to get more educated.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Just to illustrate the scale of the uploading challenge, I'll do some quick maths. Let's say you're extremely fortunate and have a connection allowing you to upload at 1MB/s (that's 1 megabyte per second).

32GB = 32,768MB so takes 32,768 seconds (545 minutes, 9.1 hours) to upload with a 1MB/s connection.

Now let's be more realistic and say you can achieve a constant 100KB/s upload rate, ten times slower. That's now 91 hours of continuous, uninterrupted uploading to shift 32GB to the cloud.

In short, duplicates on local physical storage might be a better option, such as the SSD suggestion above.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Storage and backups are going to be important, but he can help himself a lot by doing as much filtering as possible before he gets to the stage where he's uploading anything at all. With my 70D shooting RAW, I get about 3000 images on a 64GB SD card. On the couple of occasions where I have actually filled a card in a single session, I most definitely did not have 3000 keepers. Being strict with self-editing will make his life a billion percent easier and will massively reduce the amount of storage or the scale of uploads required.

Ain't nobody going to sit through 32GB of 'Here's me and my kids in front of a tree! Here we are in front of a different tree! Here's 400 shots of some random temple!'

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I ended up buying the Sigma Art 18-35mm 1.8 and boy howdy the stupid thing should come with the USB dock. Mine needed calibration on basically every focal length and distance which was a fiddly pain in the rear end. Now that it's finally set up I'll give it a real trial run this weekend. I'm honestly a little underwhelmed at the moment, though the super short minimum focal distance should be fun. We'll see, though. I also got a Tamron G2 150-600mm that was great out of the box (though I bought the dock for it as well). I enjoy food, landscape and wildlife photography the most so these two lenses should be good additions for those genres.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Is the 5D mkii still a good choice as a B-Cam to my C100? I was reading about how the mkii was used on Breaking Bad and it got me thinking. It'd be mostly used for video, but occasional stills. Was also considering the 80D for DPAF and flip-out screen, but I'm learning that I need something to step in for low light gigs for when my GH5's tiny sensor struggles in the dark.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The cutest 70-200 ever.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Is this lens compression?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Somebody made a Choro-Q lens, my goodness.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

EOS RP: Canon gonna Canon
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-rp

No silent mode outside of a Auto-only scene mode, slower continuous FPS than a 80D, gimped video.

Guess when I finally make the jump to a FF body it's gonna be Sony.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I was interested until I saw the FPS. The price is good but that's a hard no-sale.

Pure landscape types won't give a poo poo but I like doing moving stuff too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

charliebravo77 posted:

EOS RP: Canon gonna Canon
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-rp

No silent mode outside of a Auto-only scene mode, slower continuous FPS than a 80D, gimped video.

Guess when I finally make the jump to a FF body it's gonna be Sony.
If I use only really use my camera for landscape stills, don't shoot sports and don't need a silent mode, why shouldn't I get this and a mount adapter over an 80D when I decide to upgrade?

I don't have the money to upgrade now and probably won't for a while (lol), but I was researching various upgrade options for a few hours last night after reading about the RP announcement. I'd be coming from an old T2i, so anything I upgrade to would probably be a significant upgrade at this point. But the 80D has the DIGIC 6 processor while the RP has DIGIC 8, and it seems like I'd want the newest processor available. Also, EVFs look a lot more useful than optical viewfinders to me.

I know about the not so great battery life, but I could just get a couple extra batteries to carry around with me.

It just seems like mirrorless is the future, and a mirrorless full frame would be two big steps up from my 9 year old APS-C DSLR. The other full frame option in this price range would be a 6DmkII, but that has the DIGIC 7 processor, so also not the newest one available, and I'd still have to get a mount adapter to use my one and only zoom lens (the EF-S Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC). Plus it's still a few hundred more expensive.

Of course, this is all just theoretical for me at this point. By the time I have the money to upgrade, there might be a successor to the 80D with the DIGIC 8 processor (or better), and if that's the case then I might just get that haha

But for about the same price or a little more, I could have a mirrorless full frame...

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 15, 2019

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It seems like a decent enough budget option for making the jump to full frame (assuming you don't care about the burst rate), especially if you already own EF glass?

Unrelated to the RP, but I ended up buying an EOS R a few months ago and have been using it a lot more than my 5D3 lately, to the point where I'm actually considering selling the 5D3+24-70L in favor of the new native RF one w/IS. Sony's body's are obviously still way ahead of either canon's RF options, but Canon's RF stuff has worked well enough for me as far as 'get the perks of mirrorless without needing to invest in a new lens system' goes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

astr0man posted:

It seems like a decent enough budget option for making the jump to full frame (assuming you don't care about the burst rate), especially if you already own EF glass?

This really seems like what they’re going for with the EOS R and RP. Instead of going up to full-frame DSLRs or 80Ds, I feel like within five years they’ll have people who enter with EOS-M and have to move up to EOS-R instead of picking lenses for their Rebels that they can move up with.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One of the downsides to adopting the RF system if I did that would be that the cheapest lens looks to be $450 (a 35 1.8 Macro) and they go way up in price from there. There's only a few available, too, and one of them is over double the price of the RP body.

They announced a few new lenses to go alongside the RP launch, but they're almost all L glass, meaning none of them will be affordable for me. There's no nifty fifty type lens for the R cameras.

Of course, if I had the mount adapter, I could just keep buying new EF/EF-S lenses, but I'd never have the control ring of the RF lenses. I guess that's not super necessary to have, but it seems like it'd come in handy for sure.

The RF system seems relatively new, though, so they'll probably continue releasing new lenses in time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The adapter is compulsory, it brings the up front cost for getting into Canon mirrorless wayyyy down, and is the only way an average joe is going to be able to afford it (unless they start unloading 30 years of lenses on the secondary market).

As a consumer, the safest option right this moment is to keep using EF/EF-S lenses because you don't want to get stuck with a doorstop if RF dies. Which it probably won't but some caution is never totally horrible when backwards compatibility is readily available.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

One of the downsides to adopting the RF system if I did that would be that the cheapest lens looks to be $450 (a 35 1.8 Macro) and they go way up in price from there. There's only a few available, too, and one of them is over double the price of the RP body.

They announced a few new lenses to go alongside the RP launch, but they're almost all L glass, meaning none of them will be affordable for me. There's no nifty fifty type lens for the R cameras.

Of course, if I had the mount adapter, I could just keep buying new EF/EF-S lenses, but I'd never have the control ring of the RF lenses. I guess that's not super necessary to have, but it seems like it'd come in handy for sure.

The RF system seems relatively new, though, so they'll probably continue releasing new lenses in time.

They sell an adapter with the control ring built in, but yeah, the “lots ‘o L lenses” roadmap is a reason I was turned off by where the R mount is right now.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The canon EF->RF adapter works really well, I've never noticed any autofocus delay on any of the lenses I've tried (EF 24-70 II, 70-200II and the sigma 50 art) on the EOS R w/adapter vs the 5D3. You can definitely get away with just buying the adapter and whatever EF glass fits into your budget.

They make a version of the adapter with the new control ring so that you can have the ring with EF/EF-S lenses. I have it, but in hindsight I would say just go with the cheaper adapter without the ring because I personally don't use it for anything. But I guess depending on how you shoot the ring can certainly be nice to have.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

But the 80D has the DIGIC 6 processor while the RP has DIGIC 8, and it seems like I'd want the newest processor available
The newest processor is only an upgrade in so far as it allows for better features, and if canon's cutting those who gives a poo poo what the number is. For all you know there's only an 8 in there because it's FF+EVF, which the older cores probably can't manage.

If you don't have money for upgrades then just focus on shooting, and when you do just get the best bang for the buck. This probably won't be canon if you want mirrorless.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 15, 2019

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

For people thinking about the RF.

Highly recommend getting something like the sony a7iii/a7r3 or even a7r2 and a sigma mc11.

Since you are going to end up using an adapter anyway and you gain the better quality sensor, proper 4k video and better autofocus due to eyeAF.

Best part is you get in body stabilization vs being charged for the IS repeatedly for every lens.

ama having a bunch of L lenses and dual wielding both a canon and sony body

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How fast do you swap out batteries in freezing temps with the Sony? :v:

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

It's not too bad on the a7r2 and you get used to always walking around with a few batteries :v: It's also good practice to keep on swapping the warm ones in your pocket with the cold one in the camera every so often so the battery doesn't get too cold and can't discharge properly.

They supposed to have increased the capacity by a lot in the a7iii and a7r3 though.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
What's the consensus on a used 5 dsr for 2k? This is for someone who normally shoots a mkiii with a bag of L lenses. Primary shots are landscapes and portraits with some street and wildlife thrown in with the odd event and occasional product shoot. It would a gift to a very experienced shooter who sells lots of large prints. Thanks Canon thread!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The Canon Thread: Just buy a Sony and and mc-11 adaptor

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Pretty much :v:

King of Bees posted:

What's the consensus on a used 5 dsr for 2k? This is for someone who normally shoots a mkiii with a bag of L lenses. Primary shots are landscapes and portraits with some street and wildlife thrown in with the odd event and occasional product shoot. It would a gift to a very experienced shooter who sells lots of large prints. Thanks Canon thread!

The 5Ds R has great resolution for shooting on tripod with live view/mirror lockup. Otherwise the extra megapixels are wasted on the lack of in body stabilization and mirror shock
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/9

It also has similarly bad dynamic range as the 6DII due to having the old ADC setup, to the point even the 5D IV beats it by a large amount
https://www.dpreview.com/news/3229755227/canon-5d-mark-iv-brings-dramatic-dynamic-range-improvements-to-the-5d-line

If you are set on canon then the 5D4 is probably a better buy, otherwise the a7r2/3 would work really well with stills and portraits. Not to mention the extra dynamic range for landscapes. And you can use your existing bag if L lenses on it with an adapter!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

King of Bees posted:

It's got garbage dynamic range, like most not-recent canon sensors.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks again, Ill keep looking. I didn't mean to give the impression it's for me, a bunch of us are pooling money for a new body as a gift to a family member. She talks about a med format but drat that's getting expensive. I thought maybe a big rear end sensor might bridge the gap until a med was more doable. Oh well.

E. I'm tired and not communicating well.

King of Bees fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 18, 2019

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A7R2 with MC-11 adapter would be about $2000. There's a lot to be said for Canon color rendition and ease of editing & managing .CR2s (at least compared to how my computer deals with a6000 and xt2 raws), but even ignoring all the sensor performance gains of the Sony, the lack of a mirror to move around and the addition of IBIS will be significant boons to a landscape shooter.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

King of Bees posted:

Thanks again, Ill keep looking. I didn't mean to give the impression it's for me, a bunch of us are pooling money for a new body as a gift to a family member. She talks about a med format but drat that's getting expensive. I thought maybe a big rear end sensor might bridge the gap until a med was more doable. Oh well.

Medium format analogue can be done fairly cheaply and still be good. Check eBay or your local second hand gear reseller of choice for a Hasselblad 500 system. A good one with a lens and a couple of film backs will come in at around a grand or so. There's the cheaper option (without playing the dead camera lottery) of the Arax 88 which is a Ukrainian camera based on the Hasselblad, but it's new, comes with a warranty and a bunch of accessories too. You can even get one with a funky covering and her name engraved on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just spoke with her and asked about Sony on the sly. She's not a fan of the colors compared to Canon or Fuji. So maybe a gfx 50r? Have to dig a bit deeper for one of those. poo poo....