Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I had a system crash while playing the game last night, almost definitely due to my system which has been extraordinarily crashy and not the game. Upon rebooting I got a blank screen after the Failbetter. I googled it and found it was a known bug after a crash, and they suggested I email my saves. I did, and also told them upfront that some of the insane values were because I had been editing the save in notepad++. They sent it back to me fixed the following morning thanking me for my honesty and telling me to be careful with save game editing because it could potentially cause some instability.

Company rules, game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Are they going to open up the game for modding later?

I noticed the game don't have the same folders with json files in the %appdata% folder, unlike Sunless Sea.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Turin Turambar posted:

Are they going to open up the game for modding later?

I noticed the game don't have the same folders with json files in the %appdata% folder, unlike Sunless Sea.

I emailed them about the same and got a generic response. I’ll be really sad if they don’t.

The thing is, I took a look at the .bytes files that get generated in the %appdata% folder, and they’re clearly serialized versions of the old json. Edits to those files don’t change the game, however.

The base game files themselves are in the assets.resources standard Unity files in the main game folder. You can actually search through all the text there, but the quality numbers aren’t available to edit. I tried editing the text and it just caused a game crash, so modding right now would need a different approach than just text file editing. Maybe an unpacker for Unity resources?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Taear posted:

I've got a roll to become an MP that I've got a 70% chance to succeed at.
So far I've failed thirteen times, I'm cursed and the odds must be TINY for that.

I swear to god that roll is cheating on me. ive got 40 percent and have failed it 10+ times.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
ahahahahah holy poo poo, fairly deep, may be insane but cool as hell if so

Achlys + Clockwork Sun. if you haven't gone through the major stories there... probably skip this bit

Midnight's take on the Liberation hides something cool as hell with implications for the poor, doomed Clockwork Sun.

"What are the Judgements, if not damned to burn brighter and longer than any in the carrying out of their laws? The pain of a sun is a mighty engine."

they didn't build the Clockwork Sun wrong. they overclocked it. and the price of building a sun that burns twice as hard is that it burns much less than half as long. the old truths of the Red Science apply: descent must match ascent. an exchange that is monstrous, but scrupulously fair. congratulations. Dawn's Law may silence all other Judgements. until it dies. and then...

well, what lies on the other side of Judgement.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

what lies on the other side of Judgement.

That's almost as ominous as a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
God drat is the Truth ambition the best thing in the game.

Well, the ending bit anyway, before then it's pretty much just a mass of accumulating incredibly hard to get and or expensive stuff.

The best choice is choosing to tear down the barrier between life and death.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

NewMars posted:

God drat is the Truth ambition the best thing in the game.

Well, the ending bit anyway, before then it's pretty much just a mass of accumulating incredibly hard to get and or expensive stuff.

The best choice is choosing to tear down the barrier between life and death.

I found it was much more satisfying to save your friend via a trip to prison

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Sinner Sandwich posted:

I found it was much more satisfying to save your friend via a trip to prison

Well.

Their last thoughts were basically "DO IT TO JULIA" (me being Julia). They were an utter disgrace to the Liberation.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

NewMars posted:

Well.

Their last thoughts were basically "DO IT TO JULIA" (me being Julia). They were an utter disgrace to the Liberation.

Says the woman who made the conscious decision to do it to the Earnest Friend.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Says the woman who made the conscious decision to do it to the Earnest Friend.

Well, they weren't being very Earnest when they told me that they would let me do it if they could. :colbert:

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
so whatever they patched today completely erased my journal. cant see my active quests, cant see new ones i start. lmao

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bobz0r posted:

so whatever they patched today completely erased my journal. cant see my active quests, cant see new ones i start. lmao

If you want, maybe try to see about contacting Failbetter? They've apparently been very responsive / helping people fix saves via email.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bobz0r posted:

Same for me. I bug reported it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

bobz0r posted:

Lol. This is why in consoles they have a stricter Q&A and certification systems... some indies seem to change code, press the build button, test it for maybe one or two days (with luck, others just a few hours), and up there to Steam it goes! It makes for quick iteration yeah, but sometimes it's out of control.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

it seems to be fixed now but i do agree with your point.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Just started the game up for the first time in a while and my character portrait is different??

Has anyone else had this bug?

It's a shame, I really liked my old portrait and the new guy looks like a bit of a goober :(

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ThaumPenguin posted:

Just started the game up for the first time in a while and my character portrait is different??

It's a shame, I really liked my old portrait and the new guy looks like a bit of a goober :(

I had the same thing happen, but fortunately that Captain is pretty close to finishing his ambition anyway so I decided to just ignore it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have an old backup save with the original portrait, I'll send a support message with both of my save files attached and ask if they can do a face transplant

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I spent most of yesterday just bouncing around the Reach, workin on different stories and making sick bank off cutting up trees for prospects. I think I’m close to the end of what port storylines I have left, and also I got a new locomotive (the more combat-focused seeming 3500 sovereigns one).

Still no sign of the Weregild or of Simons’ Nest, tho.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

i went to Albion from the reach and holy gently caress it is so much emptier and kind seems bigger for some reason

bobz0r fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 17, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

am I missing something or is there like, loving nothing in New Winchester? I have yet to be able to find a single thing to do there other than take prospects and fix my spacetrain, it seems totally empty of actual stories. I can't even find a way to reduce terror there or anything.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Yeah, there aren't really any stories there but you'll get opportunities now and then. Also note that there are two auxillary docks just north of town even though those don't have much either.

Terror reduction happens automatically when you dock. Maybe once every 15 days IIRC?

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

go to magdalenes in the reach to reduce terror. port avon will have some options to do that too. also go by the rat wonder on your trips to port prosper, thats good for 10% anytime you pass by

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

cock hero flux posted:

am I missing something or is there like, loving nothing in New Winchester? I have yet to be able to find a single thing to do there other than take prospects and fix my spacetrain, it seems totally empty of actual stories. I can't even find a way to reduce terror there or anything.

It's got the tackety stuff!
I think what killed my interest in the game was winning for the tacketies, leaving the Reach and then it'd basically reset when I came back. I dunno why that annoyed me so much.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

What's everyone's favorite ship? I've been driving the Moloch-class Liner because it looks the coolest, but I'm curious if I should try something else.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I tend to aim for getting all three of assaying, canning and mining so I use the Outrider (3 aux slots) or the Agravain (2 aux + 2 plating, there's a plate-slot assaying device that requires 75 hearts).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BBJoey posted:

I tend to aim for getting all three of assaying, canning and mining so I use the Outrider (3 aux slots) or the Agravain (2 aux + 2 plating, there's a plate-slot assaying device that requires 75 hearts).

You can have all three with the Moloch-class Liner (Carmilla, Proserpina' Superior Mining and Smelting Array (or one of the other drills), and The Watchers in Azure).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I find Outrider to be the best train by far. Affordable price, excellent handling, spacious hold and you can use all three gathering skills early enough for that to matter.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What's everyone's favorite ship? I've been driving the Moloch-class Liner because it looks the coolest, but I'm curious if I should try something else.
It's called Liner because it only goes in a straight line. I think Moloch is the only engine that can get trivially outmaneuvered by a dreadnaught.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What's the best way to get Moments of Inspiration? I need like three right now

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Turns out the character portraits are saved as jpegs, so I just needed to copy the jpeg from my backup save to my current one :toot:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I like the Outrider because it looks real good and is also pretty maneuverable. It actually goes in reverse nearly as fast as it does forwards, which is pretty useful in combat.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's the best way to get Moments of Inspiration? I need like three right now

You can trade visions of heaven for them in Eleutheria using Griever corpses

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is there anything else I could have done with the Presumptive Heiress? I felt kind of bad bringing her back to her horrible mother, but I wasn't sure of what else to do with her. Also, what the heck is going on at Perdurance? It seems like there's something creepy going on I can't quite figure out (creepier than the obvious stuff like holding kids hostage I mean).

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Perdurance: I think it's just meant to be a gilded police state complete with informers (some of the masked guards are dilettantes)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really liked my second ship, the one you get at Winchester with the slightly larger cargo hold.
Moving on to the one that looks more like a "real engine" in London, the one that's a step below Moloch actually felt like a bit of a downgrade because it's so hard to turn around!

Isn't Moloch just "the best" though? It being gold was a bit off putting.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Taear posted:

I really liked my second ship, the one you get at Winchester with the slightly larger cargo hold.
Moving on to the one that looks more like a "real engine" in London, the one that's a step below Moloch actually felt like a bit of a downgrade because it's so hard to turn around!

I spent most of the game in the Agravain, only upgrading to the Moloch shortly before retiring. The Agravain dodges surprisingly nimbly, and having two plating slots was decent for both smuggling or general use.

I haven't tried the Medea or the Outrider yet (retired with the Moloch so just letting that ride). As long as I can smuggle 11 slots worth of stuff and still have 30+ hold slots to work with, I'm fine with almost all the engines. You only need to equip Hidden Compartments right before going through the relays anyway.

The Moloch is such a turd when it comes to combat though.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Taear posted:

The Medea and the Moloch are tied for the 'best' engine. The Medea is essentially the best combat vessel, whereas the Moloch is the best at trading. In practice, this means the Medea is better if you have very high stats and are at the 'endgame' (where the main problem is dying), whereas the Moloch is better for the early and mid game where cash generation is more of a focus.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I like to imagine that other Captains seeing a Moloch are reacting the exact same way I react to seeing a Golden skin in MWO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Okay, 80 hours in and I just now thought to check for a thread. I finished Wealth and Fame pretty easily by about 50 hours, and I've been really taking my time with Truth since I had only explored about 2 and 1/2 of the regions by the time I finished the first two ambitions. So far it's pretty loving incredible, though it's significantly less deadly than I expected going into it. I haven't had a Captain die yet, and don't really expect to unless things get really bonkers (which, y'know, hopefully).

I just finished the Incognito Princess' story, and uh. Man.