Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ad copy from the past is so bizarre, I have to think to myself "Did people really think or talk like that"
https://twitter.com/decafjedi/status/1096243342680178689?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

old verbose comic stuff makes me think of the spicy keychain comic

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how could you give your old pal donkeykong the spicy keychain

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have an oddly specific question.

Have any of you ever tried reading through a book or game or something else that is text heavy but in another language that you don't understand so you are cross-referencing the text with a translation book or whatever in order to understand it?

Did you have any fun doing that? Like, at all? There is a book series I would love to get into reading but it is written in French and all of the knowledge I have from having taken so many French classes has fallen away and I just remember some basic grammatical poo poo and some verbs, so I could sorta kinda read and puzzle out French stuff. I'm just not sure if it would be worth trying to read a whole book in a language I don't understand meaning I'd have to keep going back and forth from the book to a translation dictionary over and over again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i play pokémon and ftl in german and it’s good and fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crackdown 3 is quite good fun but laffo if you bought this in store instead of just getting gamepass.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm spending entire days editing heraldry in Crusader Kings 2's mod files.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Crackdown 3 is quite good fun but laffo if you bought this in store instead of just getting gamepass.

The future of games is half assed crap you wouldnt pay for unless the same fee got you access to games from before the industry hosed itself completely

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I imported and played a bunch of Yakuza 5 in Japanese and then they announced the localisation like a week later

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You still had to wait like 18 months for them to actually release it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Have any of you ever tried reading through a book or game or something else that is text heavy but in another language that you don't understand so you are cross-referencing the text with a translation book or whatever in order to understand it?

Did you have any fun doing that? Like, at all? There is a book series I would love to get into reading but it is written in French and all of the knowledge I have from having taken so many French classes has fallen away and I just remember some basic grammatical poo poo and some verbs, so I could sorta kinda read and puzzle out French stuff. I'm just not sure if it would be worth trying to read a whole book in a language I don't understand meaning I'd have to keep going back and forth from the book to a translation dictionary over and over again.

That was me and Paradise Lost but with a dictionary instead and no, it wasn't fun and I quit 20 or 30 pages in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

The future of games is half assed crap you wouldnt pay for unless the same fee got you access to games from before the industry hosed itself completely

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Its a complete game, everything works well, all the underlying mechanics work appropriately, its just a truncated experience versus what people might expect from a $60 game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

It sucks tremendously and isn't a great way to learn the language because so much time is wasted on three separate tasks your brain is attempting to learn, likely including nuances of writing style.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Its a complete game, everything works well, all the underlying mechanics work appropriately, its just a truncated experience versus what people might expect from a $60 game.

So...Crackdown

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I went through Ocarina of Time using a combination of a dictionary and my dad translating more difficult stuff and it was great

Barudak
May 7, 2007

axelblaze posted:

So...Crackdown

No no, this one has a 3 at the end of it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Barudak posted:

It sucks tremendously and isn't a great way to learn the language because so much time is wasted on three separate tasks your brain is attempting to learn, likely including nuances of writing style.

yeah, i've never tried but it sounds like a good way to learn a language poorly and play a videogame poorly

that said i used to play untranslated japanese snes games back in my misbegotten youth. there was no attempt on my part to learn japanese though, just ignored all the text in those cases.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

You still had to wait like 18 months for them to actually release it

yeah but I waited anyways because I know like three words in Japanese

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Barudak posted:

Especially if it's an older text and using words that aren't common anymore and now haha, they're not in your dictionary. Or idioms that won't be in your dictionary.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
books are probably the worst thing to (re)learn a language with, because it's just flat text. poo poo like video or even comics give you at least some context to the words which makes things much easier for your brain to connect, a book is just a bunch of gibberish with nothing to point you to its meaning.

all you'll be doing is reading the dictionary

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are books made for this kind of stuff, featuring stories with simple language and with a glossary at the back for the harder words

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah every multilingual person I've seen talks about picking up their third language from just watching movies or soap operas and stuff.

I've been thinking about using the Language Learning with Netflix extension

The useful books for language learning are the dual ones where it's one language on one page and the facing page is the other language

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

ariga buddy think one of these names might need a redo

He wasn't the only one to have this idea.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Random question:
https://twitter.com/axleblazeSA/status/1096423022829944832

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phantasium posted:

where is Bladest Man

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

e) Weezer

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

e) Weezer

I was gonna put "bland" as an option but I didn't think anyone would pick that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spiteful

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Can you tell us what the results are when it is finished?
I do not have twitter and it will not let me sign without signing in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

never noticed the "if we're lucky enough to see a megaman 6 from capcom" before, oh the naivete of the 90's

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Can you tell us what the results are when it is finished?
I do not have twitter and it will not let me sign without signing in.

I don't have many followers so it won't be a comprehensive survey (this is not me subtly asking for follows...I really don't care about that) but sure, I'll keep you posted

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the “haha I am too cool for this” cover is literally The Worst and you should go 100% into capturing the original spirit of the song.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Ten years ago today my college roommate and I loaded his old FF7 save and beat Emerald and Ruby Weapons. I only know this because I posted about it on Facebook at the time.

That was a good day.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

covers make me feel old, but not in the way of "oh those darn kids touching these sacred musics" but in the "wait did that always sound like that, i don't remember anymore" way.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the high here today is 89, but it's okay the climate is just fine because the temp was 33 a couple days ago

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's been in the 30's all week but it was supposed to shoot up to the 60's today except now it only looks like it's going to hit the mid 40's and you can bet your sweet bippy i'm upset that the planet isn't dying harder so i can be warm

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It was almost to the 60s yesterday. Today it's in the teens and also snowing and we're supposed to get 5 inches.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I think the “haha I am too cool for this” cover is literally The Worst and you should go 100% into capturing the original spirit of the song.

I feel the ideal, like with any remake, is having the person respect the song but also wanting to put their own spin on it and possibly best it.

The second best for me is the cover that doesn't respect the original, but also seeks to best it (though this is probably the rarest kind)

After that I like ones that are outright mocking the song. Not because they feel they're too cool but because they just feel something needs to be done. I will admit this is still rarely good but when it comes together with the right attitude and a bad enough song [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmYfVCH2UA]it can be sorta magical.

After that I diverge from what people like and I love completely disrespectful covers. Not mocking but more just do not seem to give any sort of poo poo for the original and barely even has an interest in sounding like the originals.

The worst covers for me are ones where you hear them and go "this sounds off" and the vocals kick in and you realize that this is just the exact song as the original but worse (but once again, I didn't think anyone would actually pick Weezer)

I have spent too much of my time thinking about covers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fregObNcHC8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you for the responses everybody. I greatly appreciate them!

I've just been wanting to read the Ice Company series and only the first of that 62 book series (not including the spinoff stuff) has been officially translated and I wasn't entirely sure how the experience would go so I wanted to know other peoples' thoughts and experiences.