Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Whole lotta people lately insisting, loudly and repeatedly, that they don’t remember Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I genuinely dont remember much about avatar except for the metal named unobtanium and only because its so dumb

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ahem would Disney have built a whole Avatar theme park that opened in 2017 if it hadn’t had a lastin cultural impact?!

I was waffling about whether to see this but I think it’s getting good enough reviews to deserve it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Avatar is still around as a cultural item but it rarely comes up. There just hasn't been anything to remind us of it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What I remember of Avatar where people outside the first world recognizing their struggles in it, to the point you had PAlestinians dressing up as Na'Vi at protests.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I do remember that Na'vi jam their ponytails together to gently caress.

Then they jam their ponytails into animals to make them do their bidding.

Then they jam their ponytails into trees to commune with their ancestors.

Pretty hosed up really.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Mirage posted:

I do remember that Na'vi jam their ponytails together to gently caress.

Then they jam their ponytails into animals to make them do their bidding.

Then they jam their ponytails into trees to commune with their ancestors.

Pretty hosed up really.

Hey don't kink shame!

Rude!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Avatar is still around as a cultural item but it rarely comes up. There just hasn't been anything to remind us of it.

Yeah, it's as forgettable as any singular blockbuster people saw as an adult and didnt rewatch a billion times as kids. Only difference is that, unlike recent blockbusters, there aren't sequels to remind people of the first film or comvince them to rewatch it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darko posted:

Yeah, it's as forgettable as any singular blockbuster people saw as an adult and didnt rewatch a billion times as kids. Only difference is that, unlike recent blockbusters, there aren't sequels to remind people of the first film or comvince them to rewatch it.

ID4 was a thing forever and nobody I know even saw the sequel, but somehow people would still scream "Welcome to Erf!" and go apeshit over the monologue, even 15 years later.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 11, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Toshimo posted:

ID4 was a thing forever and nobody I know even saw the sequel, but somehow people would still scream "Welcome to Erf!" and go apeshit over the monologue, even 15 years later.

That's because a racist Internet meme was made from it (Will Smith clearly says "Earth").

That's kind of like how THIS IS SPARTA became a thing even though nobody remembers actual 300.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Toshimo posted:

meme =/= zeitgeist

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

teagone posted:

meme =/= zeitgeist
i remember more ID4 lines from Randy Quaid alone than from all of avatar. it was created in a lab to make money internationally while being totally inoffensive and immediately forgettable.

poo poo, i remember more lines from “Data-choked-by-an-alien” than all of avatar

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr Christmas posted:

Whole lotta people lately insisting, loudly and repeatedly, that they don’t remember Avatar.
Even at the time I thought it was tremendously depressing how everyone walked out of it and was immediately like 'lol of course they're all going to get bombed, by those cool marines!' I mean, gently caress.

Curiously I don't think Alita has the meat to really justify a contrarian take like that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nessus posted:

Even at the time I thought it was tremendously depressing how everyone walked out of it and was immediately like 'lol of course they're all going to get bombed, by those cool marines!' I mean, gently caress.

Yeah, it's no wonder colonized and oppressed people saw themselves in the movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so they kept Koyomi, but she's not a baby

this ruins basically my favorite little touch in the entire manga and I'm kind of annoyed

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I loving loved the movie. Holy poo poo please let there be a sequel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That was super fun. Rodriguez really knows his stuff when it comes to spectacle, and I thought everybody was pretty solid.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Looking forward to the sequel:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Toshimo posted:

Wonder how likely that is. Everybody seems tripping over themselves to declare it a flop.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I caught it too. I thought it was pretty good. If nothing else, its a loving spectacular tech showcase. I'm ok with how Cameron reassembled the manga elements into his own thing the one thing that I found weird is how lively and... ok the populace seemed. It felt like a fairly livable society all things considered, a far cry from the bleak hellscape of the manga.

One thing I wish he did keep that I understand why he didn't is the labrinthine Frankenstein's monster of a city that the manga's world was. The Makaku fight in the sewage world was what really sold the manga for me, but the movie didn't have anything quite as spectacular as that, just a derelict subway fight.

The bar fight was pretty great though. The context was kinda different but I think they pulled that fight off really well.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Toshimo posted:

Certified Fresh

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Reposting from the CineD thread:

I saw it! Going in as someone really skeptical from the trailers, I soon found myself not noticing Alita's weird giant eyes so much. The romance with Hugo wasn't as hackneyed as your usual teen sci-fi postapocalyptic dystopia movie, and feels like it fits with the arc of the story.

It seems like they mashed together a bunch of the plots of the first 3 books, and the OVA, butit was fine, it hit all the high points - if a bit dense. Like the pacing is really fast, and it seems a bit breathless at times. The scenes lifted frame-to-frame from the manga are all super recognizable and the action is great, with lots of cool cyborg fights. Desty Nova makes some cameos and it ends at a point where it seems to very strongly hint at a sequel, because the main large developed plot doesn't seem to be fully resolved.

Overall, I think it was a good adaptation. The only thing I wish it had was a bit of a stronger plot payoff/resolution of the various arcs. It felt a little bit like lurching from one point to another without a strong rising climax/denouement structure. But overall a lot better than most other manga-to-live action adaptations. As someone who followed the comic since he was 14, I mightily enjoyed this movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think it had been commented on before in thread, but there were a bunch of what appeared to be people in the 50+ age range in the theater today.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
they should have left nova out completely and made it more of a man vs society story. because there's no way this is getting a sequel, and ending on a cliffhanger sucks balls. leaving out hugo's breakdown and knowledge about the way to get to zalem was a mistake as well

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Relin posted:

they should have left nova out completely and made it more of a man vs society story. because there's no way this is getting a sequel, and ending on a cliffhanger sucks balls. leaving out hugo's breakdown and knowledge about the way to get to zalem was a mistake as well

Honestly, I feel like the Nova stuff worked. The beginning of the manga is pretty episodic, and the Nova stuff and motorball were essentially a way to glue all the little episodic plots together and give them structure.

Also, you're forgetting that this is James Cameron's baby and that he's willingly set millions of dollars on fire just to play with underwater cameras. Unless this, like, hilariously bombs it's getting a sequel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I feel like the Nova stuff worked. The beginning of the manga is pretty episodic, and the Nova stuff and motorball were essentially a way to glue all the little episodic plots together and give them structure.

Also, you're forgetting that this is James Cameron's baby and that he's willingly set millions of dollars on fire just to play with underwater cameras. Unless this, like, hilariously bombs it's getting a sequel.

Yeah. There's no common thread other than 'Alita does stuff' in the beginning and I've already seen critics claim (wrongly) the movie 'has no beginning and no end.'

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Does anyone have the deluxe edition box set? I have two of the individual releases of the deluxe edition and was wondering if just buying the box set was worth it for the extra chapters and other goodies

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ashtarath posted:

Does anyone have the deluxe edition box set? I have two of the individual releases of the deluxe edition and was wondering if just buying the box set was worth it for the extra chapters and other goodies

I don't. I bought each volume release individually. But from what I've seen, the included 3 lithographs and the supplementary hardcover that has short stories that were never published in english are worth it. It's out of stock right now on Amazon, but I remember seeing it originally listed at $150-$180, then it went down to $120 for a little while. Looks like it's down to $108. At that price, it's more than worth it imo. I might just buy it and keep it in the plastic wrap.

[edit] Just put on order for when it comes back in stock, comes out to roughly $120 after tax. Here's an unboxing video so you can see what you get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMMqZBJzEmk

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 17, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just got back from seeing it and I'm really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently its doing ok at the box office in the states. If it does well in asia then you can probably expect a sequel

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

My biggest complaint that they removed most of Desty Nova's personality to make him into generic villian man.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

My biggest complaint that they removed most of Desty Nova's personality to make him into generic villian man.

I kept waiting for him to break out and give us all a good kyahaha! Well, hopefully if they do make a sequel, they'll be able to characterize him a bit more. Edward Norton can ham it up like that, can't he?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 17, 2019

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

at what point does Last Order stop using the absolute ugliest photoshop gradients and lens flares on literally every single page

it's intensely upsetting watching someone ruin their art by smearing garbage all over it

there's a one-shot from 1989 at the end of this omnibus and it looks far better than 90% of the first 3 volumes of Last Order despite pre-dating them by 11 years

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 18, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
turns out i got over the weird eyes faster than the bad exposition and clunky dialogue

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ruggington posted:

at what point does Last Order stop using the absolute ugliest photoshop gradients and lens flares on literally every single page

it's intensely upsetting watching someone ruin their art by smearing garbage all over it

there's a one-shot from 1989 at the end of this omnibus and it looks far better than 90% of the first 3 volumes of Last Order despite pre-dating them by 11 years

Welcome to the late 90s/early 2000s, when digital art was still new and everyone was getting in and figuring out what to do. LO stops being weird artwise after like volume 4 or so. If you thought that was bad, you should check out some of the 3d renders Kishiro did during the middle 90s, they are almost laughably bad. I take them as a guy trying to expand his horizons, though.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」
To Kishiro's credit, he did treat it as experimental and didn't use it long-term unlike, say, Masamune Shirow.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

DrSunshine posted:

I kept waiting for him to break out and give us all a good kyahaha! Well, hopefully if they do make a sequel, they'll be able to characterize him a bit more. Edward Norton can ham it up like that, can't he?
When he said "in Zalem putting my feet up" I was so hoping he would follow up with "eating flan" but he did not.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Didn't see enough of him yet to have a character. He's only "the guy behind the scenes causing the trouble" in this movie and you only see him at the very end.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Him just kind of nonchalantly going "hmph, well, that looks fatal" after Alita stabs Vector while he's meat-puppeting the latter made me laugh out loud. Honestly, for as little as we saw of Nova, he seemed fairly on target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Welcome to the late 90s/early 2000s, when digital art was still new and everyone was getting in and figuring out what to do. LO stops being weird artwise after like volume 4 or so. If you thought that was bad, you should check out some of the 3d renders Kishiro did during the middle 90s, they are almost laughably bad. I take them as a guy trying to expand his horizons, though.

yeah i hit volume 4 and there's an immediate improvement in the use of the digital art, even if it still doesn't look nearly as good as the inked stuff

the amount of flat gray being used to fill lines is still a bummer compare to how good all of the pre-digital stuff looks, but the progress is at least noticeable and im sure was way way more time-effective

also zazie loving owns

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 19, 2019