Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sab0921 posted:

I got pretty sweet lawyer privilege this week. Had a traffic ticket, went in to see if I could just delay it for a day, the judge asked if I was a lawyer, I said yes - but not that kind, she said that wasn't the question. I said yes, got to skip a line of maybe 20 people and have a nice muni court judge call me counselor.

Being a litigator seems pretty sweet. I should probably switch to practicing in traffic court.

I hear there's an opening in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

I hear there's an opening in Texas.

Yeah, are you a Texican or a Texican't?

Anyway, I'm reading about an interesting development back home. One of the largest cities in the country (not that that's saying much) just got slapped with a P1-1 violation (violation of the European Convention on Human Rights protocol one article one) which protects the much neglected and often surprising human right to private property, for the city's crappy job regulating their living area in an overly restrictive fashion. The slapper is the civil ombudsman (sort of a direct envoy of parliament) and now also the municipal court.

I am loving it. I have been arguing for loving years that P1-1 has a bunch of important implications for our municipal practices and I've tried in vain to argue from this ruleset, but old curmudgeonly judges and lawyers weren't having it. Well, this is a great example of ECHR actually loving Mattering like it's supposed to and it gives me some actual hope for the utility of the convention in the future.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Sab0921 posted:

I got pretty sweet lawyer privilege this week. Had a traffic ticket, went in to see if I could just delay it for a day, the judge asked if I was a lawyer, I said yes - but not that kind, she said that wasn't the question. I said yes, got to skip a line of maybe 20 people and have a nice muni court judge call me counselor.

Being a litigator seems pretty sweet. I should probably switch to practicing in traffic court.

How did they know you were a lawyer? Just because you had a suit?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Pook Good Mook posted:

The dead, lifeless eyes probably

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pook Good Mook posted:

That's typically the giveaway.

In my part of Florida it's pretty routine to let private attorneys cut in line all the time. The PDs and SA are going to have to be there the whole time regardless. Some judges even put out sign in sheets.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pook Good Mook posted:

forgot to file his horns down

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
nervous about that post bc i cant remember if thats an antisemite thing or not but im sticking w/ it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soothing Vapors posted:

nervous about that post bc i cant remember if thats an antisemite thing or not but im sticking w/ it

:lol:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is there a Puff Daddy song about horns now?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Had a trial today, swore in the jury, went through voire dire, and then the city dismissed the case because their shitheel cop didn't show up.

I have presentation blue balls

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Had a trial today, swore in the jury, went through voire dire, and then the city dismissed the case because their shitheel cop didn't show up.

I have presentation blue balls

Nice of the prosecutor to poo poo their credibility and good will down their leg for you.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

All about the Benjamins!!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

gonna AIPAC deez nuts into that mouth

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

forgot to file his horns down

Yuns will be by shortly to make sure you cool it with the anti-Semitic remarks.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Getting in my car today (wearing my coat and tie) and some college kid in a hoodie yelled, "DOWN WITH THE ELITIST PIGS" at me, so its nice to know I've finally made it, lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Getting in my car today (wearing my coat and tie) and some college kid in a hoodie yelled, "DOWN WITH THE ELITIST PIGS" at me, so its nice to know I've finally made it, lol

Someone should buy that kid an account.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Yuns will be by shortly to make sure you cool it with the anti-Semitic remarks.

:(

blarzgh posted:

I bet i'm friends with him on twitter

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blarzgh posted:

What kind of car do you drive?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What kind of car do you drive?

a 7 year old honda coupe

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Just claim it was an Aggie/Longhorn joke.

I came from work and was in a suit so they asked.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

blarzgh posted:

a 7 year old honda coupe

bourgeois pigdog gently caress!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

Vox Nihili posted:

Someone should buy that kid an account.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=185100

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Oh so thats where Hot Dog went.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Another job interview Monday. This is my first with a state agency that turned me down last year. They have a vacancy that needs to be immediately filled, though, so maybe this time I'll land it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
What's the job?

Also, are Hot Dog and msm dead?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the job?

Also, are Hot Dog and msm dead?

General counsel office for worker's comp.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh no

No no no no no

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GrandmaParty posted:

Oh no

No no no no no

Finally found the posting from last year:

quote:

Represent the Department of Financial Services, Division of Workers' Compensation, in various areas of division oversight and responsibilities, including the Office of Medical Services, the Special Disability Trust Fund, the Bureau of Monitoring & Audit, and the Bureau of Compliance. Handle administrative and appellate litigation, and provide guidance and legal opinions to the division as requested.

The current opening does not have a posting yet, but it's in the same department and I'm interviewing with the same people.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

lol :rip:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
we need to set up a pool on time to first regretpost

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Regretpost? I'll take the Price is Right approach. 1 day.

Better pool is how many days until he quits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Discendo Vox posted:

we need to set up a pool on time to first regretpost

I regret everything already, but paychecks are nice and I can't go to grad school for something useful until the fall anyways.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Regretpost? I'll take the Price is Right approach. 1 day.

Better pool is how many days until he quits.

poo poo, man. lemme get hired first.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lon, the bloody god of education, demands further sacrifice.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

poo poo, man. lemme get hired first.

:lol:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
I'm not too sure what to say about this.

Supreme Courtship: Comedy, Adventure, JUSTICE!
Order in the Court! This comedy visual novel puts YOU on the Supreme Court! Befriend the Justices, argue cases, and solve a mystery!

:actually:

Oh who am I kidding I loving love it

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 15, 2019

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

The gently caress.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I really don't know what to say about that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005