Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

That post is from 2017 ?

Noooo? Don't scare me like that, it's a brand new post. The Paradox dev joined in 2017, that dev diary is from today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

Noooo? Don't scare me like that, it's a brand new post. The Paradox dev joined in 2017, that dev diary is from today.

Yeah, you are right. Sorry

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Skypie posted:

I'd like to formally blame Honky Dong Country for making me give it a shot

*In a sibilant voice coming from the Satanist goatskull*

Yes...yes good...welcome to the fold.

As for the feudal transition yeah if you have good strong retinues you'll prolly be okay. Other than that all I can say is I'd wait to do it until at least the majority of your vassals are of the reformed faith. Old Germanic vassals aren't very fond of you, for one. Two, they won't go feudal iirc. You kinda need your vassals to trade in their huts for castles pretty soonish to get vassals levies where they should be.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Honky Dong Country posted:

*In a sibilant voice coming from the Satanist goatskull*

Yes...yes good...welcome to the fold.

I only have a couple of the DLCs tho so I'll have to wait for em to go on sale again

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Goon Danton posted:

Well, let's see:

You're off to a great start!

As for your wife, think like Henry VIII here. Nobody will mind if you imprison someone who has "acted dishonorably towards you." Throw her in jail, and then either execute her if nobody would care, or toss her in the oubliette.

Edit: there's more than one way to skin your wife

The Something Awful Forums > Games > CKII: there's more than one way to skin your wife

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary surprised me. I thought CK2 is basically 'finished' after the last expansion. I saw pyramids and thought it must be I:R dev diary. Maybe they will release few minor DLCs?

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 15, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

GHOST_BUTT posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Games > CKII: there's more than one way to skin your sisterwife

:colbert:

E: god that reminds me I had an heir once I married to two different geniuses, both of whom he had murdered because he was relentlessly loving his cousin who he eventually married. Well, I guess the cousin could've been the murderer, I don't know. Both of the geniuses had that died under suspicious circumstances thing.

And I'm just sitting there like duuuuude come on

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 15, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

:colbert:

E: god that reminds me I had an heir once I married to two different geniuses, both of whom he had murdered because he was relentlessly loving his cousin who he eventually married. Well, I guess the cousin could've been the murderer, I don't know. Both of the geniuses had that died under suspicious circumstances thing.

And I'm just sitting there like duuuuude come on

That's most likely the most accurate description of a healthy relationship CK2 can offer.

Speaking of incestuous murder, recently I was in the admittedly awkward position that I was hiding my true religion from all of my lieges, founding a society to spread it, which I managed to do very slowly and with ver, mixed results, as the conversion takes forever for each character.
What's the best way to do that and when's the most advised moment to come out of hiding?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Honestly there's not a terrible lot you can do. Convert all your kids to the best of your ability. It's also worth taking a shot at your lieges imo. The conversion events are still pretty obtuse to me and they don't always work. But if you can get them to secretly practice your faith don't worry about them not joining the society. Odds are their new secret faith will bring them in eventually of their own accord.

But don't go too crazy on trying to convert people because what you really want is to set up secret communities in all your lands, which isn't cheap on the secret cultbux. You do this by right clicking on the county crest. Every place with a secret community will instantly flip it's religion when you finally come out of the theological closet.

As for coming out, you need to wait until you're strong enough to stand on your own not only against your neighbors but also to deal with possible internal strife. When you do come out so will every member of the cult (assuming you come out using that ability as the head of the secret cult, which you should.) Hopefully that'll include a decent amount of lords. Those that don't flip, you need to open up the purse and so on. Bribe them, give them honorary titles, that kind of thing. Whatever it takes to get them to bend to demands for conversion. Hopefully your vassals already like you pretty well!

As for the hard knots that won't convert...that's what religious revocation laws are for. Be prepared to fight a civil war.

It's spreading the cult that's hard though imo. The AI seems to be pretty good at it. Hopefully you'll get lucky and get a few people, including your kids (which is the easiest), and they start spreading it around.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 15, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Honestly there's not a terrible lot you can do. Convert all your kids to the best of your ability. It's also worth taking a shot at your lieges imo. The conversion events are still pretty obtuse to me and they don't always work. But if you can get them to secretly practice your faith don't worry about them not joining the society. Odds are their new secret faith will bring them in eventually of their own accord.

But don't go too crazy on trying to convert people because what you really want is to set up secret communities in all your lands, which isn't cheap on the secret cultbux. You do this by right clicking on the county crest. Every place with a secret community will instantly flip it's religion when you finally come out of the theological closet.

As for coming out, you need to wait until you're strong enough to stand on your own not only against your neighbors but also to deal with possible internal strife. When you do come out so will every member of the cult (assuming you come out using that ability as the head of the secret cult, which you should.) Hopefully that'll include a decent amount of lords. Those that don't flip, you need to open up the purse and so on. Bribe them, give them honorary titles, that kind of thing. Whatever it takes to get them to bend to demands for conversion. Hopefully your vassals already like you pretty well!

As for the hard knots that won't convert...that's what religious revocation laws are for. Be prepared to fight a civil war.

It's spreading the cult that's hard though imo. The AI seems to be pretty good at it. Hopefully you'll get lucky and get a few people, including your kids (which is the easiest), and they start spreading it around.

Ah drat, I completely forgot about the secret communities. So does this mean the society is in general able to grow without me doing all the recruiting?

I'm playing as a hellenic Roman in Italy, literally next to the pope, so I admit I'm not in the strongest position here, also merely a Duke under the king of Italy, so it's a long way up.
I do like the general idea of those hidden religions though, it adds a really nice touch and makes it actually playable to be a non-catholic ruler in very catholic Europe.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah all the members of the society are using the abilities made available by it. You'll notice when you get a few people others will start to show up on the roster that you didn't bring in yourself. Don't worry about being near the Pope, he a bitch. The biggest threat to your safety is your liege and his court chaplain. Definitely try to convert those two if you can. They won't burn you at the stake if they're secretly the same religion as you even if they don't join the society. After those two, you need to focus on secret communities. Once all your lands have one set up then all those delicious cultbux are free to get spent on attempted conversions.

Also take suspicion seriously. When you get the message that people are starting to suspect you, knock it off for awhile and let the heat die down. The suspicion shows up as a modifier on your character sheet. If you get conclusively found out and/or excommunicated, there's a good chance your liege is gonna turbofuck you and take your lands.

Trust me, if you think you're walking a tightrope with your current situation, go be Jewish Semien among Miaphysites with the Abbasid blob storming down from the north lol.

E: oh and if you die with an heir that isn't part of the faith, don't worry. As long as the society is still going with somebody in it they'll likely get around to trying to convert you, just go along with it and boom you're back in the fold. What really sucks is when some NPC is the head of the cult and decides to come out about the faith waaaaaay too early. When that happens I just immediately go NOPE, falsely convert and refound a new cult lol. It sucks but it's better than getting steamrolled.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2019

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone else noticed semi-serious lag when a lot of portraits are on screen? It began with Holy Fury. Dynasty view, plots with lots of participants, peace negotiations with large coalitions- these are a few of the instances where it's very noticeable.

I'm wondering if it's just particular to me/my hardware, or if anyone else has noticed something similar.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Skypie posted:

I only have a couple of the DLCs tho so I'll have to wait for em to go on sale again

Everything is 75% off right now on the Paradox store. This gives you Steam Keys. Now is the time to buy.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well the issue with my half-brother seems to have resolved itself. My plot to kill him never fired despite being at 130% for several years. But I ended up spying on him and learning that he was poo poo-talking me so I exposed him, successfully imprisoned him, and now I've dumped him in the oubliette til he dies and I inherit the county

doingitwrong posted:

Everything is 75% off right now on the Paradox store. This gives you Steam Keys. Now is the time to buy.

whoa, I'll check this out, thanks for the heads up!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

doingitwrong posted:

New Dev Diary. They’re adding Wonders of the World to the game. You can take generations to build a Cathedral. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-112-wonderful-news.1152921/

If you're interested, go there and give an upvote to the Canal of the Pharaohs as a wonder. So we can get the Suez Canal mod integrated into the base game :getin:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vengarr posted:

If you're interested, go there and give an upvote to the Canal of the Pharaohs as a wonder. So we can get the Suez Canal mod integrated into the base game :getin:

This needs to be added to the base game so badly.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Argh my purchase keeps failing on the Paradox store. :( keeps telling me payment didn't go through.

Guess I'll have to try tomorrow or something and contact their customer service if it keeps falling

e: seems that the problem is most likely my bank declining international purchases and their customer service lines are closed. And I don't have PayPal so I guess I'm stuck waiting for the next steam sale :v:

Skypie fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 15, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

binge crotching posted:

The gap between holy fury coming out and a suez canal mod being updated for the patch was horrible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

Oh man yes. One of the big things that contributes to India feeling separated from Europe is the fact that you can't sail there. It would help the connect the map so much if you could build a medieval Suez canal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Oh man yes. One of the big things that contributes to India feeling separated from Europe is the fact that you can't sail there. It would help the connect the map so much if you could build a medieval Suez canal.

There's a mod for it, so it's not something you need to be hypothetical about. I'll never play without it, because it does make the map feel so much smaller. I love getting a huge norse empire and giving my raiders a nice break from the Mediterranean by sending them on vacation to the Maldives.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So I've been continuing my Venice run and my current rule, the Most Serene Doge Giovannia II the Able is another in the long line of Hermetic/Satanist-turned-pious Dominicans I've been playing. Like all the others, he's turned into one hell of a ruler. drat good stats, True Christian Knight modifier, good relations with the clergy. The crusades kick off to push the Rahmanids (the Umayyads got owned by decadence) out of Aquitaine. I throw the full weight of the republic behind it to the tune of about twelve thousand men at arms, not a one of them a mercenary. The crusade is won, netting me a tidy pile of money, a fancy Italian Crusader Axe, and a county for one of my daughters (being a republic I didn't want a male getting any land, nor did I want to be the recipient of all of Aquitaine and have to deal with that mess). Things are going good. My dude's the leader of the Dominicans, one pious son of a bitch, a hardened crusader general, and on top of that he's smart enough to continue using the three Magnum Opuses in the treasury even after leaving the Hermetics. So I start working on forging a bloodline, since my ruler's getting old and things are running smoothly.

Then things change. A bunch of kids get fed up with us layabout lords of Christendom and unite under a pious Carantanian lad named Miljen, only ten years old, and march off to war for the Holy Land. I've seen the Children's Crusade even fire before so I was like oh cool, nbd. The only thing I notice that's different is being zealous, my canned response to it different. Then after that I start getting correspondence from Miljen, updating me on the problems of the crusade and giving me options to support it. So, being a good Christian doge I put everything I've got behind it. Money, troops, even prestige to reinforce Miljen's authority among his army. The whole time there's no troops showing on his character panel or anything like that. So I'm thinking okay this is gonna end disastrously of course, and I'll either get rewarded for backing it or poo poo on for egging on the catastrophe. Then I get another message once Miljen's army reached Nikaea that had the option of "I shall join you in battle!" Now I'm really starting to wonder. This has been going on for a few years, Miljen is even 13 now. I'm still expected the disaster to come any moment. But holy gently caress was I wrong. Suddenly, this is the real deal. Miljen has declared war to take Jerusalem. I'm automatically an ally, which is fine since I'm plenty prepared and willing to go to war for this. The scary part is Miljen doesn't loving need me in the least.

loving take a look at THIS

I'm still going to send my armies. But gently caress me this kid means business. He's got enough troops to beat the poo poo out of any one nation on the map. Even the massive Rasulid blob (the Abbasids got owned by decadence too) can only muster about forty thousand men.

E: Alright, I found a downside to this already. Despite all the updates of his army getting closer and closer to the holy land, those troops all spawned in Transylvania, so attrition is gonna put a beating on them. Oddly enough Miljen has already picked up the Crusader trait though. Once I'm done beating on Serbia I'm sending every soldier I've got and prolly a shitload of mercs/holy orders too. We'll see how this goes.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 17, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Welp, Miljen made it to the holy land with about 62k troops. I arrived with about 17k and promptly got my rear end kicked, but the war was over almost as fast as it started. Behold, a successful Children's Crusade!

He flooded the enemy territory and sieged it down so fast it was insane. Even though I took a good beating when my troops landed I at least was able to help by conquering Aruf. I'm also kind of disappointed that I didn't actually get anything out of this beyond it being cool that it succeeded. I'm not even an ally of the child King of Jerusalem (though I did immediately betroth him to a daughter to remedy that lol). Mostly I just want to see this kingdom stick around and since he didn't seem to keep any of his event troops, I'm willing to ally up and help preserve his kingdom. Long live King Miljen of Jerusalem, Page of Our Lord!

E: I'm gonna be real disappointed if when this kid dies in a few decades he doesn't get canonized due to how loving random sainthood is :colbert:. Like godamn, every doge I've had has turned into a model catholic by their death and even above them, if anybody deserves sainthood in this loving playthrough it's this kid and also my current ruler for getting his Jesus-hearing rear end to the holy land and giving him money and troops and poo poo drat it. I mean gently caress by the age of fourteen this kid carved the Kingdom of Jerusalem out of the heart of Islamic power in the world. And he did it pretty much entirely on his own! This wasn't mechanically treated as a proper crusade with all kinds of christians jumping in. It was his own giant stacks of troops and my mere 17k.

Oh and some other highlights of this playthrough: Germanics reformed under Saxony but are still suffering under the yoke of gavelkind/tribalism and thus haven't solidified their hold yet. Mali has become a decent sized power in Africa. Despite it being the year 912 in a Charley start they're still hanging on and control all of Mali and Kanem-Bornu, but they haven't reformed so unless Islam utterly shatters they're resigned to a slow doom. The Karlings are already either mostly dead or out of power. The territories comprising the empire of Francia are divided among three dynasties, none of which are Karling. Ireland is the dominant power in the British Isles, under the rule of a queen! Bulgaria became a major power before splintering somehow. The steppes, Tibet, and India are all a shattered mess rather than the usual kingdoms/blobs forming. Miraculously the Western Protectorate holds sway over almost none of them (though they had Uyghur for awhile.)

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 17, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ooh, 2K troops. That'll stand up real well against a whole united Arab Empire. It's always a shame to see a comically small state result from a massive crusade. The whole "only fight one enemy target" and "only take the pre-declared target territory" legalistic approach makes sense for working within a society that shares the same set of rules, but it turns up pretty disappointing results for rampaging armies that don't give a poo poo about local laws.

I mean compare:

Maybe they could take some of the extra crusade beneficiaries and turn them into adventurers taking nearby counties or duchies? It'd let them use defensive leagues to stay alive a little longer, but they'd be without too absurd offensive power. It'd also leave crusader players with a better environment to diplomatically maneuver in rather than having to comb Europe for wives and alliances.

Maybe also put a flag in the AI so that the Byzantines get the hint to use the crusades to make their own conquests.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I actually have no idea how he only got like 4 counties out of the whole thing when the target appears to own the whole of Jerusalem. Normally the entire kingdom gets handed over.

And the Kingdom of Jerusalem is exempt from de-jure drift so it can't be that either.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've always wondered why crusades don't have some of the invasion logic in there, where any occupied territory gets annexed by the occupier at the end of the war, even if it's outside the target kingdom. That's basically what a lot of crusaders actually did - just capture some town somewhere and decide to settle there and rule.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

He only got that small territory because it had somehow broke away from the larger blob on its own and that's what he targeted because it's Jerusalem. If that hadn't broken away on its own hr'd have gotten the whole kingdom.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
cool to compare this against ck2 trading posts

https://twitter.com/incunabula/status/1097049515025199104

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

He only got that small territory because it had somehow broke away from the larger blob on its own and that's what he targeted because it's Jerusalem. If that hadn't broken away on its own hr'd have gotten the whole kingdom.

I figured it'd be something like that. Summon a huge fuckoff army, and then the AI chooses the weakest little target it can. I know it'd be frustrating as hell to play against, but I really wish that they had more mechanics to bust up the big fuckoff empires.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With CK2+ still not out, I've been messing around with HIP for the first time. I like the map, but I wish they didn't cut India off.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok so after dealing with my DLC issue, I picked up a few and started over. Same September 1066 start, same petty king of Mumu. This time went pretty well. King Briain lived to the ripe old age of 72, had a few sons. He claimed three new counties for the dynasty, joined the Benedictine Order, even participated in the Crusades. One grandson was married to the princess of Sweden, and another was married to a countess in Hull. In fact, King Briain participated in a crusade and his grandson in Hull landed himself a title to a county near Jerusalem! Then poor Briain bought the farm.

King Briain II inherits a relatively wealthy and fairly stable kingdom at age 51. He's not super skilled, but it's peace time anyway because I'm waiting for his younger (grand)sons/daughters to mature or come into their marriage arrangements so I can see who might inherit what. I had some worries about losing a county upon succession because a younger half-brother had it so I got the council to vote for title revocation laws. I accidentally granted a landed title to my idiot son instead of my smart, cool, strong one but not a huge deal. Then at age 57, Briain II thought of ants and died. :rip:

This brings me to King Murchad, the grandson who inherited holy land. He's young-ish, in his mid 40s or so. He's got tons of traits from being a crusader, he's got a few sons. I'd hoped his father would rule longer, but no big deal. Under Murchad, I realize I have causus belli to invade and claim a county to the north. So I get to work on it. It's all going pretty well, but then...Murchad is wounded in combat and develops an infection. Just as I enforce the peace deal to claim the county, Murchad dies of his wounds AND his grandmother usurped the county I won in the war so it was all for naught.

Now I'm stuck with Murchad's idiot neckbearded failson, Blaccmath, who has absolutely no fuckin useful traits at all. His first wife died of smallpox, his second wife almost died of the flu, and he only has one daughter. He joined the Dominicans, almost turned gay for his buddy in the organization, and if he doesn't have a son, I need to hope he survives a bunch of murder/coup attempts long enough to switch inheritance laws so his daughter gets everything. Additionally, my holy land is basically a lost cause because the Muslim caliphs are a revolving door of jihad right now.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The only good thing about constantly being jihaded in the holy land is they cough up pretty good money when you beat their rear end and they lose.

E: oh I read that wrong, the only thing you're getting is grief lmao

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 17, 2019

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The only good thing about constantly being jihaded in the holy land is they cough up pretty good money when you beat their rear end and they lose.

E: oh I read that wrong, the only thing you're getting is grief lmao

I started actually just shunting troops to Kerrak every time since like 20 countries were always chomping at the bit to spill the blood of the enemy and made a pretty fair amount of cash from enforcing my peace demands.

Anyway Blaccmath died after his physician tried to treat consumption by hacking off a leg, but his daughter survived regency and got a matrilineal marriage with some Russian prince. She's pretty good at most things and thanks to her education, my demesne limit is the largest it's ever been. I'm only holding 1/5 cuz the council gets lovely if I try to revoke one. I'm taking Queen Ingjerd into the current crusade so hopefully I get something good here. When it's all said and done, I'm just hoping she has a son. :v:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Randaconda posted:

With CK2+ still not out,

Yeah, there were a LOT of changes and a lot of people on the team either busy IRL or burned out with CK2 or both, so progress has been slow. I don't know what the lead has been saying on the Paradox forums (since I don't go there) and I can't give an ETA yet but we are working on it (mostly because patching event files is more fun than packing for my move.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, there were a LOT of changes and a lot of people on the team either busy IRL or burned out with CK2 or both, so progress has been slow. I don't know what the lead has been saying on the Paradox forums (since I don't go there) and I can't give an ETA yet but we are working on it (mostly because patching event files is more fun than packing for my move.)

No worries, friendo, it'll be out when it's out. Besides, HIP isn't terrible, though I haven't messed around with it very long. The "Lucky Rulers" thing is pretty neat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

baw posted:

cool to compare this against ck2 trading posts

https://twitter.com/incunabula/status/1097049515025199104

This is amazing. Be sure to post it in the Politically Loaded Maps thread in D&D.

I wouldn't mind a slightly larger map for CK3.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I have kind of a silly question. When a country changes color on the map, does it mean anything significant? I'm playing as the Sultan of Yemen, and after taking some land from the kingdom of Abyssinia they turned a rather brown color on the map. Also, when I took the decision to found my own empire, my map color went from yellow to a sort of off-white color. What causes this?

Also, side note, this is probably the best game I've ever played. Ironman mode can make things more fun sometimes.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Every title has a color associated with it, so if your primary title changes, so does your color on the map.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

trapped mouse posted:

I have kind of a silly question. When a country changes color on the map, does it mean anything significant? I'm playing as the Sultan of Yemen, and after taking some land from the kingdom of Abyssinia they turned a rather brown color on the map.

It means they switched their primary title. The AI usually does this based on their culture -- French characters will prefer France while Occitans prefer Aquitaine, for example.

quote:

Also, when I took the decision to found my own empire, my map color went from yellow to a sort of off-white color. What causes this?

I think when you take the "form custom empire" decision the game tweaks one of the RGB values for the kingdom title it's based on in order to differentiate it. If you weren't on Ironman you could change it in the uncompressed save file, or just load up a save and try again.

quote:

Also, side note, this is probably the best game I've ever played.

:yeah:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I know that war is kinda meant to be this game's last resort so I assume the primary way to expand territory is by jockeying around your descendants so you eventually have an heir or claim?

Like I married one of my grandsons to a countess in England, and when she died, the county fell under to an heir in my dynasty so it changed to my color. Since fabricating claims takes decades, presumably that is how I'm meant to expand further and further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skypie posted:

I know that war is kinda meant to be this game's last resort so I assume the primary way to expand territory is by jockeying around your descendants so you eventually have an heir or claim?

Like I married one of my grandsons to a countess in England, and when she died, the county fell under to an heir in my dynasty so it changed to my color. Since fabricating claims takes decades, presumably that is how I'm meant to expand further and further?

That depends. If you have infidels next door, you can use holy wars to conquer one duchy at a time, limited only by the truce timer. If you have special combinations of religion/culture/government, you can use the powerful invasion casus belli.

If you're Christian in a mostly Christian Europe, then you are indeed best served by the marriage game. Marry your heir to somebody with an inheritable claim to a kingdom, press the claim to the kingdom once you play your grandson.