Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

infernal machines posted:

It raises some questions about the timing of the amber alert as well. It was hours after she was reported missing, but evidently before they checked his residence? I'm unclear on the timeline for this, or I probably have some details confused.

3 pm Daughter gets dropped off to her Dad at a gas station in Mississauga
7 pm Mom alerts the police that Dad is saying scary things/threatening to kill Daughter.
11 pm Amber Alert is issued after police do preliminary investigations.
12 am Police find Daughter's body at around midnight in Brampton duplex that was probably rented by Father, suggests CTV news.
- Father was caught in Orillia based on tips from the Amber Alert.

Yeah I mean, it sounds like it was too late to change anything. But they got the guy. It just is a matter of how much convenience you're willing to give up for security, but I think maybe police were irresponsible about calling the Alert/not finding his residence fast enough.

E: forgot that pm turns to am at 12

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So they triggered an amber alert but it was actually just a very public APB.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

There's a lot of people shouting past each other in this thread. Can we agree that the system is incredibly useful and saves lives but also there could be some minor tweaks that can make it less disruptive without reducing its effectiveness?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It might save lives, so far it's not actually doing so well on that front.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the disruptiveness, I'd just prefer it if the CRTC and local law enforcement were on the same page about how and why this mandatory alert system is used.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

So they triggered an amber alert but it was actually just a very public APB.

To me it reads like they were on the way to the Brampton residence/getting a warrant or something to get in while the Alert was being issued so yeah. It's hard not to get that kind of feeling.

Actually the globe has more specific times that say police issued the alert at 11:30 and found her body at 11:50, twenty minutes later. They were about to find her and issued the alert anyways probably in anticipation of the manhunt or not finding her. It's something to think about at least.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4964199/amber-alert-peel-police-mississauga/

Yeah and a very public APB is not appropriate really.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My phone was on silent and I didn't get an audible alarm, although I did get a popup while chatting on discord. And I do have an option on my Pixel 3 to turn off emergency/government alerts as well, but no idea if that works or not (I'm keeping it on).

There's criteria before they can send out an alert and if all those boxes are checked then it's pretty goddamn horrible to get angry about it. It's a loving kid.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

acumen posted:

My phone was on silent and I didn't get an audible alarm, although I did get a popup while chatting on discord. And I do have an option on my Pixel 3 to turn off emergency/government alerts as well, but no idea if that works or not (I'm keeping it on).

There's criteria before they can send out an alert and if all those boxes are checked then it's pretty goddamn horrible to get angry about it. It's a loving kid.

That's the disconnect though, AMBER Alert and the Emergency Cell Alert System are two different things right now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Why isn't anyone thinking of the children?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Why isn't anyone thinking of the children?

Because I HATE the children :v:

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Arivia posted:

No, I’m not. They used the emergency blaring alert noise that’s guaranteed to get your attention and stress you out. This noise cannot be muted or turned down. They used this noise late at night when most people are sleeping or getting ready to sleep - and are certainly not looking out for vehicles on the 401.

As someone with multiple sleep disorders, I was lucky to only be preparing to sleep when the messages came through. I was winding down and could settle after the alerts. Had I been asleep, I woulda have had my sleep for the night ruined. It would have taken me multiple hours to get back to sleep. If I can. In the worst case scenario, not just my sleep but my sleep schedule would be ruined for weeks, and would take incredible effort to restore to a normal pattern. So one message - just this one message - can ruin my life for weeks.

And I’m just one person. What about swing shift workers? There are a multitude of people who already go to great lengths to protect their health, to guard precious sleep against a million things in our society that would injure their health. It’s very easy to say that this was minor, but there are a shitload of us trying to live our lives for which an emergency signal like this is extremely deleterious.

This emergency message power by the police is new. They should have some understanding of the effects it can cause, and the responsibility they have. But ACAB anyway so lol. They could have sent out a silent message.

The world doesn't cater to you or anyone. Your demand for perfect execution is fucktardy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Big Changus wants to bring the pain re: Sidewalk Labs' latest attempt to take over the Toronto Port Lands

quote:

“This looks like it was set up through back-room channels and I think we need to definitely stop this project now on its tracks and get some accountability,” Angus said, adding when the Google lobbyists showed up as his door they made it seem like the project was going to be fun. “They presented to us a really neat little project, a little experiment. They never came clean about the overall picture, which is turning over to a massive American corporation, public revenues, public oversight of some of the most prime real estate in the world,” Angus said. “Google has gotten away with it because they have a very very comfy, cozy relationship with all the senior representatives, at least in the Liberal government, and the two other levels of government, we need to see some accountability as well.”

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
What the gently caress is wrong with some of you people?

Turn off your goddamn phone or turn off the cellular link if you need your goddamn sleep timers.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The alert system is dumb when people who live thousands of kilometers away are getting bothered by something that has no effect on them. It leads to people ignoring and dismissing them, which is a problem when a real emergency happens. It would be pointless to use it for emergencies in Dallas TX, but they're closer to here than where this one came from.

Not using the maximum priority, nuclear war is commencing, tier is probably a good idea too. I think the other alert tiers are supposed to utilize less offensive notifications, so of you're sleeping you'll at least see something when you wake up and you'll keep an eye out for it on your morning drive. The 853+960hz tone is actually made to be as unsettling and unnerving as possible, so I'm not surprised about people being upset about it. This is the kind of thing that ends up having the opposite effect later on down the line, imo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Where are you that's more than 2000KM from Toronto and also received this alert?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm on Telus with a Pixel 3, had it on DND mode and silent, and there was no alarm. My girlfriend's iPhone 6 on rogers, also on silent mode, did not make a noise either. So, ymmv.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I've never gotten an amber alert before so it was kinda novel. I read it, then dismissed it, because I don't care. Calling people a monster for being pissed is pretty funny considering the people doing the calling out, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Where are you that's more than 2000KM from Toronto and also received this alert?

It was sent across Manitoba, which would take a car driving way over the speed limit and through multiple US/Canada border crossings to get here in less than two days.

I'm not really upset about the annoyance of it, but more that it's being utilized poorly and will end up with people ignoring them on reflex, which is exactly what you don't want to see with such a useful system.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

http://i.thinimg.com/img/7a8v.jpg

It used the presidential alert setting (my phone is not running Canada specific ROM) rather than the Amber alert.

And yes I'm a monster who doesn't want them because I don't leave my apartment and am a sad sack so gently caress of with judging me for not giving a poo poo about kids tia.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

It was sent across Manitoba, which would take a car driving way over the speed limit and through multiple US/Canada border crossings to get here in less than two days.

I'm not really upset about the annoyance of it, but more that it's being utilized poorly and will end up with people ignoring them on reflex, which is exactly what you don't want to see with such a useful system.

Oh geez.

That's loving ridiculous. I thought it was Ontario only.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I remember the first amber alert caused my soul to leave my body and I was a ghost temporarily. I'm not opposed to the idea of them but I think they can be implemented better. I think a text message or something along those lines would be better since they could attach a photo of said child. So people who are awake will see it and can keep an eye out and people who are sleeping will not be jarred awake before immediately going back to sleep anyways. I don't think the people being irritated by the system scaring the poo poo out of you while trying to sleep are monsters or anything. I know some people who have crazy insomnia and being taken out of your sleep can be very infuriating and stressful.

Let's all love each other everyone :)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This ties in to something else I've been thinking about since I moved to downtown Toronto. There are so many fire trucks and ambulances at all hours of the day that the sirens are basically background noise. I can't pay attention to them all, because there are so many at a time, and the siren is rarely actually near me. If you overuse the national alarm system, then people will just tune them all out. Since I have a rooted phone I can actually just disable them, which I did after the last one, and I didn't get this one!

In my experience as a lovely tech bro, who has a pagerduty rotation, alerts need to be actionable. Sending it to people who can't act on it is effectively spam, and abusive because it undermines the system for the actionable things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had some friends visiting some family somewhere in south asia, I want to say Indonesia, and their relatives phone was constantly blowing up with official government alerts. BEEP BEEP terrorism alert! Suspected bombing in a town hours away from you! BEEP BEEP BEEP curfew in effect on some town on a whole different island. BEEP BEEP crime alert everyone be on watch for these suspected terrorists! BEEP BEEP missing children 500km away! You're not supposed to disable them, but most people do due to the very real danger of alarm fatigue. It's a huge problem in hospitals and things where liability concerns means every single loving computer screen and piece of equipment is barfing dozens of CRITICAL WARNINGS at you at all times so people end up tuning it all out, disabling them, and thus miss the rare important ones.

I've never gotten any sort of alert on my phone. It once made a terrible sound and was just a test of some tsunami warning system. I think we're a long way aways from worrying about some sort of alarm slippery slope where we're getting an air raid siren every time there is a crime anywhere in the province, but all it takes is a few false alarms or situations where people feel the system is being overused and they'll do what they can to shut them off, and then miss the rare relevant ones.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Isn't there a way to select which cell towers send out the message? I'm in Brandon, Manitoba and it was weird to get an Amber Alert about a car heading East out of Toronto

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think they have rather broad geographical regions they can choose, but choosing Manitoba is just bizarre. Did they alert Quebec too? At least that would have made some sense.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Isn't there a way to select which cell towers send out the message? I'm in Brandon, Manitoba and it was weird to get an Amber Alert about a car heading East out of Toronto

There is, but I think that utilizes the Wireless Emergency Alert protocol that's baked into modern phones. Whoever's in charge of the Canadian implementation doesn't like the fact that you can opt out of lower priority alerts, so they blast everything out as a Presidential Address.

I don't think the kind of person who opts out of those for whatever reason is going to be on the lookout for whatever the amber alert is intended for, so it honestly ends up doing more harm than good in the long run.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e due to wrongness

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I didn't realize that was going on in Toronto. I skimmed it and read "east" so I assumed it happened in Saskatchewan.

Maybe, uh, what's the word? Pinpoint the locations to send the alert to a little better as well.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

xtal posted:

e due to wrongness
Welp. Way to ruin a joke

3000KM west, and uh, 500km east. For a car last seen eastbound.

Brampton's finest.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 15, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was kind of surprised that they used the "incoming nukes; make peace with your loved ones" alert level for an amber alert and also the amber alert cancelled followup an hour later. It woke me up twice but I actually forgot about it until I read about it in this thread, lol.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Welp. Way to ruin a joke

3000KM west, and uh, 500km east. For a car last seen eastbound.

Brampton's finest.

Sorry, I read an article about a different one: https://globalnews.ca/news/4457335/manitobans-have-mixed-reactions-to-overnight-amber-alert-cell-phone-notification/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I think there are a few issues here:

1) The alert was not well-targeted
2) Based on the current timeline of events, it would have been vastly more likely to be helpful if sent earlier

The use of this system to send the alert, though, seems quite reasonable, as does the inability to opt-out. You can slippery-slope this poo poo all you want, but the truth is that the Amber Alert system and the emergency alert system in general are not currently and have not in the past been abused.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I was kind of surprised that they used the "incoming nukes; make peace with your loved ones" alert level for an amber alert and also the amber alert cancelled followup an hour later. It woke me up twice but I actually forgot about it until I read about it in this thread, lol.

Right? It was seriously the MAJOR EMERGENCY noise. Actual nuclear war or a horror movie asking for nuclear war.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

AMBER ALERT: You have no chance to survive make your time.

PT6A posted:

The use of this system to send the alert, though, seems quite reasonable, as does the inability to opt-out. You can slippery-slope this poo poo all you want, but the truth is that the Amber Alert system and the emergency alert system in general are not currently and have not in the past been abused.

There's no slippery slope, just be honest about what it's going to be used for. If local law enforcement ends up scope creeping it outside of the original mandate then the CRTC should either prevent that or explain to the public what has changed and why.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 15, 2019

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I think there are a few issues here:

1) The alert was not well-targeted
2) Based on the current timeline of events, it would have been vastly more likely to be helpful if sent earlier

It's not reasonable to send 2 blaring alarms to people in the middle of the night for something happening literally thousands of kilometres from them.

Even if the idea is ok, the execution was completely botched, which means people are going to be more inclined to disregard messages that could be lifesaving in the future.

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 15, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Typical Goon posted:

It's not reasonable to send a blaring alarm to people in the middle of the night for something happening literally thousands of kilometres from them.

Even if the idea is ok, the execution was completely botched, which means people are going to be more inclined to disregard messages that could be lifesaving in the future.

Have literally any of these alerts ever gone off correctly here? All of them have been badly targeted, not worked, missed Quebec, whatever.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/VassyKapelos/status/1096421274694369286

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think they have rather broad geographical regions they can choose, but choosing Manitoba is just bizarre. Did they alert Quebec too? At least that would have made some sense.

I didn't get an alert way up in la belle province so there's one data point.

But I did get that test message months ago which scared the poo poo out of me even though I knew it was coming.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wait, so a whimsical "what if an ordinary thing but with computers" idea dreamed up in SV was poorly-conceived, expensive and riddled with security holes?

Well I never.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some crazy selfish takes in the thread on the whole amber alert system. Holy poo poo, I know the siren is annoying but if it has a chance of saving a kids life or capturing a kid killer, lets keep them going.

I think everyone agrees the system could be more finely tuned though. Manitoba should not have gotten that alert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Wait, so a whimsical "what if an ordinary thing but with computers" idea dreamed up in SV was poorly-conceived, expensive and riddled with security holes?

Well I never.

Also, absolutely everyone involved has been lying to each other and the public since day one, and the company has no ability to actually implement any of the promised features any way.

10/10 SV startup pitch

zapplez posted:

or capturing a kid killer, lets keep them going.

Mob justice, when we use technology it's good!

e: To be clearer, this is emphatically not what the amber alert system is for.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 15, 2019