Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Honestly the only thing keeping me from getting an Apple Watch, apart from the cost, is that I like having a real watch, and I think Apple watches are kinda ugly. I thought about getting one and putting a clip on it to make it a sort of pseudo-beeper for when I feel like leaving my phone at home, but I figured that wasn’t enough to justify the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A real watch will work in 10 20 or 50 years. Guaranteed an Apple Watch will not even tell the time in five years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jerry Cotton posted:

A real watch will work in 10 20 or 50 years. Guaranteed an Apple Watch will not even tell the time in five years.

a rotary phone will work in 100 years. what's your point?

Rolo posted:

If you don’t want them don’t get them. Cords are fine. I like not having my phone on me when at the gym, running, biking and cooking. My music streams off my watch into my AirPods and I’m good to go. I leave my phone in my bag when I’m backpacking and I can leave it in my center console when grocery shopping. Accelerometer controls mean I can skip songs by tapping the back on my hand to my ear while cooking/cleaning and I really like that.

How's the watch music streaming on battery life (especially when using GPS)?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's no way that people who buy apple watches are going to be wearing the same model in five years anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

a rotary phone will work in 100 years. what's your point?

No it won't.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The HDD died in my Xbox One X which is 2 months out of warranty so I gutted it open and put in a SSD.

Also got this idiotic purchase, the Elite Controller. But holy poo poo is it the nicest controller ever. It has an awesome weight to it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tim Whatley posted:

The HDD died in my Xbox One X which is 2 months out of warranty so I gutted it open and put in a SSD.

Also got this idiotic purchase, the Elite Controller. But holy poo poo is it the nicest controller ever. It has an awesome weight to it.

I really want one of those but I don't play games enough to justify it. But man they seem awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RE: Headphone chat -

I hate earbuds. Always have. They don't fit in my ears properly, so I've always preferred over the ear headphones.

I have the JLab Neons for Bluetooth headphones and they rule. I got 'em for like $20 when they were on sale at Best Buy. They're a lot more comfortable than my previous couple pairs of Bluetooth headphones. They sound good for both podcasts and music, and the battery life is insane. I don't use them every day and I turn them off after I'm done with them, but normally I'll listen to a few hours worth of podcasts a week with them and not have to charge them at all after a week (though I still do just to be safe). Also they fold so they barely take up any space.

Would definitely recommend, especially if you don't have a few hundred dollars to blow on something like the Beats Studio or Bose QuietComfort. I mean I'm sure those are better somehow (probably more noise cancelling?) because they're more expensive, but the JLab Neons are totally fine and comfortable for everyday use. They don't feel seriously lacking in a certain department, which rules for $30 headphones.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bottom Liner posted:

How's the watch music streaming on battery life (especially when using GPS)?

I almost never use the GPS on it but I stream music off it every day, sometimes for several hours at a time and I never have to plug it in before I go to bed.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Coffee And Pie posted:

Honestly the only thing keeping me from getting an Apple Watch, apart from the cost, is that I like having a real watch, and I think Apple watches are kinda ugly. I thought about getting one and putting a clip on it to make it a sort of pseudo-beeper for when I feel like leaving my phone at home, but I figured that wasn’t enough to justify the money.

I know everyone's use cases are different, but speaking as someone who owns basically every apple product and also thinks apple watches are ugly, I'd recommend skipping it. I wear mine when I'm in the office or running errands where I don't care about my appearance or am exercising, and wear a normal watch otherwise. And not once have I ever thought "wow I wish I had my apple watch" in the times when I'm wearing a regular one. To be honest the only time I've been actively happy that I've had my apple watch is when I'm cooking and want to set a timer and left my phone upstairs and can just use siri on the watch. The apple watch mostly just feels like a shittier version of my phone, which I'm gonna have anyway. If I'm getting messages or whatever, I either don't care and don't need them on my wrist, or I do care, and I'm going to have to pull out my phone anyway.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tim Whatley posted:

Hope you got it from Costco or used an Amex for an awesome warranty. They seem to break right around the time the warranty ends (6 months? Iirc?) and at that point you can’t even pay to have it fixed.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Etrips posted:

Hope you got it from Costco or used an Amex for an awesome warranty. They seem to break right around the time the warranty ends (6 months? Iirc?) and at that point you can’t even pay to have it fixed.

90 days, lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I am incredibly jealous and mad they aren't coming anywhere near me.

Tim Whatley posted:

If you got it on a major credit card they may extend the warranty for you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Edit: quote != edit. whoops

For content, I bought a 10TB Easystore for $170.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I particularly like my Airpods for the gym, because the wires don’t get in the way and they don’t get uncomfortably hot like over-ear models. These are not shopping channel problems, both used to irritate me a lot. They’re also great for doing stuff around the house - been doing a lot of painting while listening to podcasts recently. For those use cases alone they’ve been worth it for me.

I still use my QC35s when I’m on a plane, need to focus on work, and so on. Was a bit iffy about owning both but so far I don’t regret the decision.

I also like my Apple Watch a lot, particularly the fitness functionality. I even do the challenges.

And yes, I am a stereotype. But I didn’t light a candle outside Apple Store when Steve ascended.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

mystes posted:

It just seems like people who use airpods are amazed that they "just work" but I've never had problems with wired earphones not working or requiring any sort of setup. They don't need to be recharged, either.

There are companies selling $90 shirts that are designed to not be tucked into your pants. Wireless earbud companies are still running ads of people oww oww oofing with their wired headphones.

People are people

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also google's response to the AirPods loving blows with a tremendously lovely and intrusive wire that absorbs every milliliter of sweat and an incredibly fidgety charging case that needs the charging bits to be perfectly aligned on an atomic level to take
True wireless earbuds are the future grampa, especially if you work out with them

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My one complaint about AirPods: limited gestures. You can tap twice on either bud to do something you set it for. I wish it were more like the EarPods controller where one tap pauses, two skips forward, and three skips back. Now I have it set up with one to pause and one to summon Siri, which is the best I can get I guess, since I can use her to skip.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I need headphones for running so this is very timely chat.

The things I like about wired in ear headphones: they don't fall out. (Only a specific super cheap Panasonic model)
The things I hate about them: sound travels through the wire as it brushes against anything.

So I need to replace them with Bluetooth ones for running and biking.

Would the airpods fall out if you ran with them?

E:. After some googling I found out they do not fall out.

bobmarleysghost has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Feb 15, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My lady got me a Garmin vivofit and some Bluetooth headphones I specifically asked for Christmas 2017. Now I want an Apple Watch and AirPods but don’t to make her saaaddd. :(

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

This depends entirely on the anatomy of your ear. I would test some out first.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

This depends entirely on the anatomy of your ear. I would test some out first.

Yea I watched some video of a guy headbanging and they didn't fall out. Then watched another one where the guy bent over and the pod fell out.

Definitely need to try first.

They're also $219 CAD drat, gotta do more research to see if they're worth it over the rest of the competition.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
To all wondering, you can test sealed, clean AirPods in the store. They ship them out for whatever kind of sterilization or refurb is required after each person tries them.

I have insanely sensitive ear skin and these fit beautifully and never ever fall out or press on any part of my ear. YMMV.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm used to these mind you - https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008 - so I'm no audiophile and I think these sound passable (to my untrained ear).

I'm gonna go to the apple store to check them out

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bobmarleysghost posted:

They're also $219 CAD drat, gotta do more research to see if they're worth it over the rest of the competition.
Oddly enough, they’re one of the least expensive name brand “true wireless” headphones out there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have the Jabra 65 active earbuds, they're pretty nice so far. Not as sleek as the airpods but functional for us android havers.

As for purchases, just bought a membership to a boxing/Muay Thai gym. Oh god my abs.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MA-Horus posted:

I have the Jabra 65 active earbuds, they're pretty nice so far. Not as sleek as the airpods but functional for us android havers.

As for purchases, just bought a membership to a boxing/Muay Thai gym. Oh god my abs.

Is that like a monthly thing? And how much?

I’ve felt the need to fight/wrassle and a martial art seems like the best way of going about that while also being maybe less fat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm used to these mind you - https://www.amazon.ca/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008 - so I'm no audiophile and I think these sound passable (to my untrained ear).

I'm gonna go to the apple store to check them out

Future victim of Da Froot Stand

colas
Feb 14, 2007

mystes posted:

I've never had problems with wired earphones not working or requiring any sort of setup. They don't need to be recharged, either.

I didn't have problems with wired headphones working AND THEN my phone started getting weird, the headphone icon would change to the headphone with mic icon, and google would "boop beep" and prepare for a question. Really, really annoying. I've never used wired headphones with a mic.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

ReidRansom posted:

I use those Trekz bone conducting ones for this exact reason. I bike to work when weather permits, and I need to hear the world around me. They're great.

How are they? I've waffled about getting them for what seems like years now.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

colas posted:

I didn't have problems with wired headphones working AND THEN my phone started getting weird, the headphone icon would change to the headphone with mic icon, and google would "boop beep" and prepare for a question. Really, really annoying. I've never used wired headphones with a mic.

That's a problem with something in the headphone jack. Blow it out real well and clean it - something's causing the jack to detect a microphone and it's usually corrosion or dirt.

Glottis posted:

Same here. I listen to podcasts pretty much all the time, but being cut off from the world with headphones has its disadvantages sometimes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bobmarleysghost posted:

So I need to replace them with Bluetooth ones for running and biking.

E:. After some googling I found out they do not fall out.

Just to +1 the AirPods chat, they are pretty friggin amazing. Listening to them while at work right now, and just tried whipping my head around, holding it horizontal, and the AirPods only started to work loose after shaking my head so hard I got dizzy and my brain hurts.

I was chief among critics of the iPhone 7 ditching the audio jack, thinking it was the dumbest thing in the world, and now I’m fully on board with wireless headphones and a cheap lightning adapter for car aux is the future.

And speaking of how great cordless battery poo poo is, I just bought a Dyson v10 vacuum cleaner because I hate dragging around the Miele upstairs and downstairs for small stuff:

Also bought the Justin Guitar intermediate level course:

And an Anker Mars Projector to replace the dead TCL tv in the bedroom, and take on vacations because hotel TVs are dumb and have started locking the HDMI input port to the cable box, so goodbye hooking up a chrome cast or laptop to watch anything besides lovely cable TV:

Also, technically last week, but bought a bunch of great food and booze in Chicago, along with city passes to see the museums, because Chicago is dope :D

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My therapy appointment for today got cancelled, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're one of my all-time favorite bands. I've seen them before but only once and it was a decade ago on the Narrow Stairs tour.

The setlist for that show was loving excellent:

I'm not expecting to like the setlist for this upcoming show as much because I wasn't a fan of their newest album at all. I'm gonna listen to it more before the show and try to give it another chance, though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Glottis posted:

Queen Combat posted:

Same here. I listen to podcasts pretty much all the time, but being cut off from the world with headphones has its disadvantages sometimes.

I like them. Great at the gym and while out biking. They're not going to match up against a great set of ear buds or over-the-ear headphones, but they really do sound a lot better than I had expected. I have the older ones, Trekz Titanium, but here's Techmoan reviewing the newer Air model, which I also bought for my partner. Lighter than mine, and still sound just as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a27T7ldoLdE

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They're one of my all-time favorite bands. I've seen them before but only once and it was a decade ago on the Narrow Stairs tour.

This made me chuckle a bit as I got free tickets to see them nearly a decade ago and discovered I did not like this band at all. (Given you also just bought tickets I am extremely jealous of.) We did however discover Tegan and Sara at that show which my wife likes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Saw Death Cab at Clemson in 2006ish and it was an incredible show. The must have played for 2 1/2 hours. Setlist was A+ and they had a super impressive stage and lighting setup that I was no expecting at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

H110Hawk posted:

This made me chuckle a bit as I got free tickets to see them nearly a decade ago and discovered I did not like this band at all. (Given you also just bought tickets I am extremely jealous of.) We did however discover Tegan and Sara at that show which my wife likes.
Tegan and Sara rule. Or at least they did over a decade ago. I kinda fell off with them after that, but I've seen a couple live videos of theirs on YouTube here and there in the last few years and it seemed like their sound had changed dramatically from the one I fell in love with when I was like 15 or so.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

ReidRansom posted:

I like them. Great at the gym and while out biking. They're not going to match up against a great set of ear buds or over-the-ear headphones, but they really do sound a lot better than I had expected. I have the older ones, Trekz Titanium, but here's Techmoan reviewing the newer Air model, which I also bought for my partner. Lighter than mine, and still sound just as good.

Second this about the titaniums, I never use them for music, just audiobooks and podcasts while on my bike but they're perfect for that. Took some time to get used to them for me but now they feel fine.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Finally got a Caligula coin to finish my set of the five bad emperors (along with my set of five good emperors).

Been a while since I played an old school style no nonsense first person shooter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ChocNitty posted:

Been a while since I played an old school style no nonsense first person shooter:

It's like STALKER 2 so far! It's scaring the poo poo out of me and I love it :swoon: