Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s what it says Here on this card. Seems a little harsh to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's the only way I can get aroused. Don't kinkshame me.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sunswipe posted:

Is there a Cliffs Notes version of who Kate Beaton is and why I should care?

I mean I'm not sure I'm invested in ensuring whether you care, y'know?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Aramoro posted:

People constantly wanted to bury her in a chest? That seems weirdly specific.

Juniji Ito's Tomie but for doubloons and jewels, precious jewels!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slippery posted:

I mean I'm not sure I'm invested in ensuring whether you care, y'know?

You're the sort of person who'll actually phone the "Don't know" option on a newspaper's phone poll.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Is there a Cliffs Notes version of who Kate Beaton is and why I should care?

kate beaton is a moderately entertaining cartoonist who makes comics where old timey historical figures do stupid things with silly facial expressions

she's notable for having once come to SA, where she was run off by big weirdos being creepy and/or hostile and then run off even further by the enormous horde of different weirdos who swamped her in a continuous deluge of apologies about it for years

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also she is a big fan of james joyce

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No, she left because we were boring / Every time her name comes up it's the exact same series of posts / Including a post pointing out that fact now lol / Achewood

Are you sure you want to keep going down this road? I mean really?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

goons like to think they leave a bigger impression than they actually do (aside from the one in the couch cushions)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
  • 2009 Doug Wright Award for Best Emerging Talent
  • 2011 Harvey Award for Best Online Comics Work
  • 2011 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Online Comic
  • 2012 Harvey Award for Best Online Comics Work
  • 2012 Harvey Award Special Award for Humor in Comics
  • 2012 Harvey Award for Best Cartoonist
  • 2016 Eisner Award for Best Humor Publication

cock hero flux posted:

moderately entertaining cartoonist

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Kate Beaton is actually a major inspiration for the Hamilton musical, there's a line from one of her eeeaaarrrly comics that gets quoted as a power line during one of the songs.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Kate Beaton is the Eternal Queen of Canada, and I will hear no more of this non-sense.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Squidster posted:

• 2009 Doug Wright Award for Best Emerging Talent
  • 2011 Harvey Award for Best Online Comics Work
  • 2011 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Online Comic
  • 2012 Harvey Award for Best Online Comics Work
  • 2012 Harvey Award Special Award for Humor in Comics
  • 2012 Harvey Award for Best Cartoonist
  • 2016 Eisner Award for Best Humor Publication

She may have won a bunch of stuff but I still don't get the goon love for her

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I’m walking a fine line here. On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I’m struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer. What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me — but it’s not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control. Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It’s like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective. To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and — most important — respect your audience. So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I’m concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone’s web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you’re not going to like this much, but guess where I am. " I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I’m making this request. Please send my "kids" home. I’ll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Kate Beaton is actually a major inspiration for the Hamilton musical, there's a line from one of her eeeaaarrrly comics that gets quoted as a power line during one of the songs.

Which one?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Len posted:

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I’m walking a fine line here. On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I’m struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer. What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me — but it’s not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control. Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It’s like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective. To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and — most important — respect your audience. So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I’m concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone’s web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you’re not going to like this much, but guess where I am. " I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I’m making this request. Please send my "kids" home. I’ll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

Has this dumbass ever posted an update since 1997 or whenever he wrote this?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Has this dumbass ever posted an update since 1997 or whenever he wrote this?

Dunno but for some reason that's the only person goons have respected the wish of and his comics don't get posted here

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gary larson has no hold over me

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
No one over 30 even knows who the gently caress Gary larson is because he has zero digital presence.

Good job loving yourself, Gary.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It looks like he was asking for sites not to host entire archives of his work anyway, not what happens here.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
One day they will find a way to monetize comic jpegs!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cock hero flux posted:

kate beaton is a moderately entertaining cartoonist who makes comics where old timey historical figures do stupid things with silly facial expressions

she's notable for having once come to SA, where she was run off by big weirdos being creepy and/or hostile and then run off even further by the enormous horde of different weirdos who swamped her in a continuous deluge of apologies about it for years

Thank you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wendell posted:

It looks like he was asking for sites not to host entire archives of his work anyway, not what happens here.

Except it's used to be common for someone to go "hey guys he requests us not post his comics" and in the past the post would just get edited with a "sorry Gary!"

Looks like that may be over since nobody has complained the last couple times cow tools came up

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Who's Gary johnson and what does he has to do with Kate Beaton?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're running for president in 2020. Please vote for Beaton/Johnson.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Len posted:

Except it's used to be common for someone to go "hey guys he requests us not post his comics" and in the past the post would just get edited with a "sorry Gary!"

Looks like that may be over since nobody has complained the last couple times cow tools came up

No, I know, I’ve just always felt that is what he meant and never got to say it!! Sweet release.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Johnny Aztec posted:

No one over 30 even knows who the gently caress Gary larson is because he has zero digital presence.

Good job loving yourself, Gary.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/gary-larson-net-worth/

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sunswipe posted:

You're the sort of person who'll actually phone the "Don't know" option on a newspaper's phone poll.

I'm uncertain as to whether I'd do that, to be honest

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slippery posted:

I'm uncertain as to whether I'd do that, to be honest

Well there's only one way to find out:
https://www.strawpoll.me/17438304

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well there's only one way to find out:
https://www.strawpoll.me/17438304

Hey, that's really neat and made me laugh, thank you :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

Her comics are widely considered to be highly amusing. "Goons" are a fairly unremarkable cross-section of the population with regard to their appreciation of her work. Hope this helps.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
She is the best. Haters gonna hate. The end.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

what the gently caress, this is horrifying

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Retired at 45, that's pretty impressive.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

Her comics are widely considered to be highly amusing. "Goons" are a fairly unremarkable cross-section of the population with regard to their appreciation of her work. Hope this helps.

Sorry for being too specific.

She may have won a bunch of stuff but I don't get it because I don't find her that funny.

Better? But it's okay to not like things because humor is subjective and I understand my taste is broken. Hope this helps.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

goon project: let's gold-dig gary larson

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

This had a very sweet follow up:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

Retired at 45, that's pretty impressive.

He didn't want to be one of those newspaper comics who went long past the point they were funny.

Same with Bill Watterson.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Which line from Beaton is in the Hamilton musical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"Hark! A Vagrant," from the song of the same name