Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Cats that don’t get socialized, raised, or otherwise treated like a pet. They’re standoffish weirdos by nature, but they get along with humans with a bare minimum of effort and why the gently caress would you own one if you don’t like or want a cat and the responsibilities it brings? They’re less high-maintenance than dogs but if you want a pretty decoration get a loving corn snake.

There is a mean rear end cat that embodies this trope at work rn and OF COURSE his name is I poo poo you not “Prince Prettyboy.”

Tell him I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

Tell him I love him

Much like oldpainless posts, he’s huge and genuinely pretty

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Cats that seem to know I am allergic to them and become overly friendly are my sort-of peeve. Not only do they make me sneeze 30 times a minute, when you give in and pet them they show you the rear end. I'm making a sacrifice here, is that really necessary?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They’re standoffish weirdos by nature.

The man knows his cats.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In perfect posting harmony, Prince Prettyboy scractched a gnarly wound in my lower arm today as I tried to feed him. It’s bad enough to get 911 called but I’m fine. I hate Prince Prettyboy more than ever.

Also the scar will definitely look like I tried to commit suicide

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In perfect posting harmony, Prince Prettyboy scractched a gnarly wound in my lower arm today as I tried to feed him. It’s bad enough to get 911 called but I’m fine. I hate Prince Prettyboy more than ever.

Also the scar will definitely look like I tried to commit suicide

Suicide by cat is all too real.

I'm pretty sure that's how my roommate will go

my cat is socialized, she just likes to remind my roommate that she's in charge

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I've got a couple of friends that I group chat with all the time and they have the weirdest loving texting style.

Like I'll send a hilarious animated gif and they'll say, "Laughed at an image."

Or maybe I'll say something, like, "That was a good movie" and one of them will respond, "Emphasized 'that was a good movie'." Or sometimes it's not emphasizing, it's liking or disliking or whatever.

I assume it's an automated thing, but it's weird and I don't like it. Just say haha or LOL, christ. I've never seen anyone else do this.

This is a peeve because I'm the old fart in the group, isn't it. :(

ETA Oooh ooh one of these people also constantly sends pictures of her chat logs. I love her to death but I also hate this. At least there's usually some joke that somebody made that she wanted to share, but she just sent a super long one that's her and another friend talking about whatever and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be getting out of this, aagggh

artsy fartsy has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Feb 16, 2019

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

artsy fartsy posted:

I've got a couple of friends that I group chat with all the time and they have the weirdest loving texting style.

Or maybe I'll say something, like, "That was a good movie" and one of them will respond, "Emphasized 'that was a good movie'." Or sometimes it's not emphasizing, it's liking or disliking or whatever.

I assume it's an automated thing, but it's weird and I don't like it. Just say haha or LOL, christ. I've never seen anyone else do this.

I think this might be an iPhone thing or something because I have a friend who does this too and it’s all Liked this after every text anyone else sends. Thank god she’s the only one I know who does it because I hate it

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is it some kind of speech-to-text system screwing up perhaps?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

it sounds like they're probably using some kind of enhanced messenger and that's just what gets sent back to you.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
Sorry to say it, but you’re friends with a chatbot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It bothers the crap out of me when I get pizza and the cheese has just melted enough together that pulling off a slice results in a handful of crust and a pile of cheese on the box.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

artsy fartsy posted:

This is a peeve because I'm the old fart in the group, isn't it. :(

Oh man same here for sure. I can't figure out if they are typing Liked an image or if it's a weird translation of some emoji or what the hell, it drives me nuts. is it an iPhone thing or what

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

as a phone user with a terminal case of owning Android phones I'm pretty sure the iPhone messaging app has features beyond standard SMS and that's what gets sent to anyone not in the exclusive walled garden of liking text messages Apple has built

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

as a phone user with a terminal case of owning Android phones I'm pretty sure the iPhone messaging app has features beyond standard SMS and that's what gets sent to anyone not in the exclusive walled garden of liking text messages Apple has built

Yup, iMessage allows you to react to messages.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
E: lol, yeah ^^^ that

On an iPhone, if you double tap or long-press a message, you get a pop up with about six canned replies. If you choose one, it’ll show a bubble with your reply if the other person is using a newish iPhone. If not, it “translates” it.

What (almost certainly) happened to artsy fartsy is they sent an image, the other person long-pressed and chose the “Ha Ha” icon, and it sent “laughed at an image”.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People "above" you at work who don't dismiss you when they are done with you. At least wave your hand toward the door, I don't care how insulting it is, just tell me somehow that I am free to leave, otherwise I'm going to keep standing there. I've tried guessing when it's OK to leave before and it never ends well. I'm always wrong. I need the formal get out of here treatment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Pixel phones have enhanced texting now too.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

E: lol, yeah ^^^ that

On an iPhone, if you double tap or long-press a message, you get a pop up with about six canned replies. If you choose one, it’ll show a bubble with your reply if the other person is using a newish iPhone. If not, it “translates” it.

What (almost certainly) happened to artsy fartsy is they sent an image, the other person long-pressed and chose the “Ha Ha” icon, and it sent “laughed at an image”.

interesting, thanks, I didn't know that!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slippery posted:

interesting, thanks, I didn't know that!

Yeah my roommate does this all the time and it’s irritating as an Android user because it treats it as a separate message.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm honestly amazed at the number of people that still send SMS' with a different experience depending on platform. I only ever SMS my mother-in-law, and message everyone else on Signal, which is the same on everything.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The gently caress is Signal?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector 34 posted:

It's an open source messaging app. It has Android, iOS, windows, Mac and Linux versions that all work essentially the same. My friends and I looked into a bunch of them and decided on it for infosec reasons I don't really understand, but people I trust do.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Interesting, I doubt I can get many friends to jump on it but it might be good for staff messaging if it allows us to text each other without sharing phone numbers.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Liked a post.

I am glad you explained this--I mean I figured it was some iPhone thing but I didn't realize they weren't seeing the same text I was, and I was gonna start doing it back to them...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector 34 posted:

Interesting, I doubt I can get many friends to jump on it but it might be good for staff messaging if it allows us to text each other without sharing phone numbers.

That's actually its #1 issue - your identity on it is tied to a cell number. Being able to have an email-based account has been their top request for more than a year now. It doesn't affect me because I'm only texting friends and family.

Have you checked out Slack? I'm on that for work and professional groups, might be what you're after?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've never actually checked into any of these kind of services/apps but I guess now I'll check out Slack as well.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I use signal as my sms app because the default one suddenly stopped giving me notifications and only one of my friends also has it so for him I need to be on wifi or nothing ever sends or receives, because when you both have signal it encrypts your messages. Actually slightly annoying because I don't have data but as a normal sms app it's fairly nice.

I miss putting custom backgrounds in my conversations though. Maybe I'll start a fork of signal just for that

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Inspector 34 posted:

This is only funny to me because I'm picturing someone like, chilling at a diner having a burger while some nearby folks chat and then when one of them mentions Signal in passing they get the above response.

All jumping up from the counter spilling a drink and startling the waitress, Kramering over agitated about an app

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah my roommate does this all the time and it’s irritating as an Android user because it treats it as a separate message.

Yep, and honestly I thought they were hand-typing it every time and I was like, what are you doing, is this some posting persona with which I'm not familiar

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Region protections. I still use a physical bluray/dvd rental plan with netflix and most of the things I get work, but the movie I got today came up with a big "this can only be played on Region A players" or whatever. I did buy my PS4 in europe but I'm using it in the US, i'm a US citizen, what's the point in not letting your stuff play? Region protection should work based on your internet connection location, not where the player was made. You could say "well you could just use a VPN then", but as I found out when I couldn't VPN to other countries with better netflix content anymore, they are pretty good already at blocking those.

I just want to watch the movie I paid for.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I did buy my PS4 in europe but I'm using it in the US, i'm a US citizen, what's the point in not letting your stuff play?

The point is making you buy a new DVD player and/or replace a bunch of your old DVDs.

Well, the main point is preventing people from importing DVDs from other countries where they're cheaper and/or came out earlier, but making people re-buy stuff is a nice bonus.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Warhammer poo poo has the insanest regional pricing of all and the dumbest part is that since it’s all plastic toys there’s no way to region-lock it. If you’re not british or north american afaik it’s cheaper to pick whichever is closer and just pay the exorbitant shipping to buy direct from the US/UK.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People in crowded parking lots that hold everyone up because they want to back in to a spot instead of parking like a normal person. Especially if they suck at it and have to do like 10 forward/reverse switches. I don't even get it. I guess it's slightly easier to pull out? But you spent like 10 times as long parking so what's the benefit in the end?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People in crowded parking lots that hold everyone up because they want to back in to a spot instead of parking like a normal person. Especially if they suck at it and have to do like 10 forward/reverse switches. I don't even get it. I guess it's slightly easier to pull out? But you spent like 10 times as long parking so what's the benefit in the end?

Oh my God yes! I parked, got out, got a cart, and was halfway to the store by the time this one guy backed his thousand foot long pickup into a spot

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Can people stop saying hella please?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

I concur with this gripe. I don't like to inconvenience others so I sometimes wish folks would just pull in and get on with their lives

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

I knew a girl who said hecka instead and it was so much more annoying.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Inspector 34 posted:

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

Oh my God yes! I parked, got out, got a cart, and was halfway to the store by the time this one guy backed his thousand foot long pickup into a spot

It’s always people with giant pickups doing that I swear