Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

http://shooterfiles.com/2015/07/7-habits-of-boring-street-photography/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Guys rate my street photography setup

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I rate it Bruce Gilden out of 10.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Nah Bruce Gilden attacks with flash in one hand, camera in the other.

Good critique of all my photos in the article linked 2 posts up.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Guys rate my street photography setup

Didn’t know Eric Kim was a goon.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZmCp7NocMA

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'm going to be in Tokyo for a couple of weeks at the end of April and I'm hoping to get some street fashion shots while I'm there.
I know there were a couple of Dorkroomers in Japan a while back, are you guys still around?

If so, any suggestions for locations? I'm assuming Harajuku for fashion and Shibuya for that extra touristy fifty five shots of the gaijin storage dog statue.

Also, my Japanese is maybe a step above weeaboo grade, is there some more natural say of saying すみません、きみの写真を撮ってもいいですか。

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It’s not a trip to Tokyo unless you take a photo of the shibuya crossing from the Starbucks

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Wild EEPROM posted:

It’s not a trip to Tokyo unless you take a photo of the shibuya crossing from the Starbucks

Yeah, I mean, I HAVE to obey the proper tourist photo protocols.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

squidflakes posted:

If so, any suggestions for locations? I'm assuming Harajuku for fashion and Shibuya for that extra touristy fifty five shots of the gaijin storage dog statue.

I think Sunday is the day that all the cosplayers go to have their photo taken on that bridge that connects harajuku and yoyogi park. Should be some cool stuff to snap there.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I think Sunday is the day that all the cosplayers go to have their photo taken on that bridge that connects harajuku and yoyogi park. Should be some cool stuff to snap there.

The problem is that Sunday is also the most popular day to visit so the whole area is just mobbed with people. I always found Harajuku way too crowded for much photography on weekends. Fortunately you can always go twice...

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'm going to be there for two weeks so I imagine there will be at least a couple of opportunities. Its also going to be Golden Week so I imagine the mob of people is going to be that much more intense.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Go to nakano

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

Go to nakano

This, there's approximately forty trillion places to take cool shots in Nakano Broadway.

I also went to Harajuku and while there are some fashion people there, it's loving packed with so many people you'd never be able to get a good fashion shot. You can get some good non-fashion shots though.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, this was Harajuku on the weekend we visited.

This is as close as we got.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

squidflakes posted:

I'm going to be there for two weeks so I imagine there will be at least a couple of opportunities. Its also going to be Golden Week so I imagine the mob of people is going to be that much more intense.

Considering that it’s like New Years, Christmas, Labor Day, and Memorial Day rolled into a single week of wall-to-wall train cars and shoving crowds? Yes, most definitely more intense.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Yeah, I wish it had worked out differently but WHELP!

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Goes 2019 by roland luijken, on Flickr

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
P1151307005 by Cody P, on Flickr

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hallways and lobbies are kind of like streets, in a way.

Japan-20181205-0171 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Japan-20181205-0174 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Japan-20181205-0158-2 by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Much like streets they're mostly boring

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

I like this one a lot.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

tau posted:

I like this one a lot.

Are you a local? The heat is killing it right now in the Philippines.

---

I went to Taiwan last month!

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Schneider Heim posted:

Are you a local? The heat is killing it right now in the Philippines.

No, I was there last year at the end of January. It was pretty oppressively hot and humid then, too.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Bergen op Zoom by roland luijken, on Flickr

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Help me decide, street thread. I like the context given by the vertical crop but also like the focus on the subjects in the landscape orientation.

And the street thread in one voice unto me posted:

Neither.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Help me decide, street thread. I like the context given by the vertical crop but also like the focus on the subjects in the landscape orientation.

horizontal or neither

Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I like the landscape orientation. Very nice shot.

I left the house a few minutes early this morning to try to take advantage of the morning light.

edit: link here in case the pic above isn't showing up for some reason

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 2, 2019

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

("I wish for being healthy. Woman - 87")

From December. Looking for input - after a few months I'm still reasonably happy with the shot, but I'm also super new with photography in general so I only halfway trust my gut.

Cuntpunch fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 2, 2019

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cuntpunch posted:

From December. Looking for input - after a few months I'm still reasonably happy with the shot, but I'm also super new with photography in general so I only halfway trust my gut.

Perhaps you should say what sort of input you're looking for.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

alkanphel posted:

Perhaps you should say what sort of input you're looking for.

Sorry, I didn't realize that was too vague. I'd like to improve and in order to do so I feel like I could use critical feedback, positive or negative, about what works and what doesn't.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Cuntpunch posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize that was too vague. I'd like to improve and in order to do so I feel like I could use critical feedback, positive or negative, about what works and what doesn't.

Incoming effort post

I think alkanphel is asking because you've posted one pic and then asked for feedback with regards to a whole genre that I'm not really sure the pic fits in to.

This photo maybe ticks the street photography box of 'tells a story' but usually this is given to mean that human elements in the photo are telling the story. But your photo is basically the equivalent of taking a picture of a newspaper article and calling it street photography because it tells a story. 'Show don't tell' applies strongly here.

These days the definition of 'street photography' is being stretched all over the place. I've been thinking about this for a while so I'm going to take some time to detail the major sub-genres as I see them today. Hopefully this will help give you some ideas of the boundaries street photographers are operating in.

Journalistic / reportage style

Joel Meyerowitz, Martin Parr, Robert Frank etc.

Seen as somewhat 'old school' these days, this is the 'F8 and be there' tradition. Interesting and notable things are happening in the frame. Usually accompanied by some sort of skilled compositional element arrangement. Often the photographers integrated themselves into communities to be able to get these candid moments.

'Characters'

Bruce Gilden and his associated acolytes.

Mostly shot without consent, this genre is basically 'taking pictures of weird people who are on the street'. Tricky to pull off without being punched, ethically questionable and hard to do right, but, undoubtedly impactful. The cousin of this is the 'street portrait' which is the above but with consent.

The painterly street photo

Saul Leiter, Joshua K Jackson

Composition, colour and lighting play a bigger role here than people or telling stories. Big on beauty; light on story.

Chiaroscuro (aka the interplay between light and shadow or 'most B&W street shooters on Instagram')

Fan Ho, Alan Schaller

At it's best, this style uses contrasting areas of black and white to create an atmospheric, evocative image. At it's worst, it amounts to a photographer waiting for a member of the public to walk into a patch of bright light and then slamming the white/black sliders in Lightroom. 'Look at the juxtaposition of this dark figure in a bright section of the frame' they say. But that is all there is to say. 99% of shots in this style are lazy IMO but the style is also wildly popular so, whaddaIknow.

Should never have been uploaded

p much everyone

NB photo below is one I shot and rejected

This is something that doesn't get talked about enough IMO - why images hit the cutting room floor. It may seem that the titans of street photography shat out masterpieces every time they went out shooting but that just isn't true. Gilden, for example, said that his decades of experience have allowed him to maybe achieve a 1/100 rate of good to bad shots. That's after about 40 years pounding the streets.

Let's take my image above. This guy was wandering around chinatown in the rain trying to get people to buy a balloon and it wasn't going very well. He looks a bit sad! He's wearing funny clothes! Incoming street photo slam dunk you might think.

But no. This picture is bad. Why? Reasons:
1. He looks a bit sad but not that sad. If you don't know the backstory you wouldn't be inclined to recognise a maudlin expression.
2. See above where I had to set the scene with text? A good photo doesn't need that.
3. It is compositionally poor. The balloons are cut off on the bottom left. The impact of his red clothes is significantly lessened by the red street light to his left.
4. The frame is super cluttered. It was shot at f2 so there's a bit of blur but all the other people in the street are distracting.
5. It doesn't tell a story. It is simply a photo of a thing. A slightly unusual thing but not notably unusual.

The best thing I ever did to improve as a photographer is to start examining why my photos didn't work. With regards to street, a big part of it was that I thought that all I needed to do was get over my fear of photographing people. Don't get carried away just because you overcame that barrier. Yes you need that, but then you also need subject interest, storytelling and composition. Editing in all its various forms can take an image from an A to an A* but you can't polish a turd.

To a certain degree, street photography is a numbers game (perhaps excluding the chiaroscuro style) and you've got to be ready to throw a lot in the bin.

Here endeth the effort post. NB I am aware I didn't drop the big daddy, Mr HCB, into any of the categories as I feel he encompassed many styles but for anyone interesting in learning from the master: check out Cartier-Bresson.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about and have probably never taken a truly good photo.

* BONUS CONTENT *
My pet theory on the rise of bad street photography is that people feel under pressure (via Instagram etc) to post something every day. That's 365 good photos every year. I don't think you'd find a professional street photographer on earth who would claim such a hit rate. The masters of the genre that we fawn over developed their back catalogue over many decades and would be lucky to have produced even a handful of iconic shots in their lifetime.

Incidentally, I think this also explains the rise in the chiaroscuro school - it is relatively easy to create an image that is pleasing to the eye this way and there is basically no requirement for characters or stories to be present. Below is one of my most liked Insta posts. I personally think it's pretty crap - nothing more than a bit of ephemeral eye candy created with the most basic juxtaposition of light and shade. It tells no story whatsoever. It doesn't even document a notable moment or location. Perhaps it is as simple as the fact that these types of images are very easy to digest as someone flicks through their Instagram feed. On the surface it meets some kind of 'yes, this is art' test but, in my eyes, totally fails as a 'good photo'.

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 3, 2019

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Cuntpunch posted:

This is still super vague. In addition to Nigel Tufnel's excellent post above, I'd ask you, what are you trying to do with this photo? What do you think worked and didn't work? Why did you think this subject was interesting enough to capture and ask for feedback on?

Without that context, it's hard to give feedback on a photo that doesn't really stand out on it's own merits.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

To follow up on Nigel Tufnel's great post, before you ask about improving your own photos, do look at good photos and good photobooks. Some examples have been shared by Nigel but it is just a starting point and your own tastes will dictates who and what you will look at. You may be tempted to copy them as a way of improvement, and it is valid at the beginning - but the start of finding your own voice is really straddling that fine balance between copying and creativity.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Incidentally, I think this also explains the rise in the chiaroscuro school - it is relatively easy to create an image that is pleasing to the eye this way and there is basically no requirement for characters or stories to be present. Below is one of my most liked Insta posts. I personally think it's pretty crap - nothing more than a bit of ephemeral eye candy created with the most basic juxtaposition of light and shade. It tells no story whatsoever. It doesn't even document a notable moment or location. Perhaps it is as simple as the fact that these types of images are very easy to digest as someone flicks through their Instagram feed. On the surface it meets some kind of 'yes, this is art' test but, in my eyes, totally fails as a 'good photo'.

this was a really good post. instagram has had a huge impact on how we consume art, and especially photography. I read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message and I think instagram is a great illustration of what McLuhan was talking about - the small screen, feed, and liking function encourage or even force shallow readings of the content of a photo. that's why I think the minimalism look is so big, it's purely aesthetic and easy to consume. it's also easier to produce that kind of photography, so it fits into the "just post" attitude of most accounts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just went to a really good show of Garry Winogrand’s color slides [and a few prints] at the Brooklyn Museum. One thing they bring up is how he got less into storytelling over his career, to the point that he was actively avoiding it in his work.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

qirex posted:

I just went to a really good show of Garry Winogrand’s color slides [and a few prints] at the Brooklyn Museum. One thing they bring up is how he got less into storytelling over his career, to the point that he was actively avoiding it in his work.

Just in time for this, PBS has a documentary about the man this thread might find interesting:

https://www.pbs.org/video/garry-winogrand-all-things-are-photographable-tdq83s/

( Available until 2019-05-17, go see it now. )

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yond Cassius posted:

Just in time for this, PBS has a documentary about the man this thread might find interesting:

https://www.pbs.org/video/garry-winogrand-all-things-are-photographable-tdq83s/

( Available until 2019-05-17, go see it now. )

Thanks for the heads up, this was worth watching. It’s definitely more about the person than his photos but he was a pretty interesting guy so that’s not a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004