Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Not a particularly novel answer but I adore Jubilee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

corn in the bible posted:

What are peoples' favorite Big Finish stories?

Chimes of Midnight is excellent and often pushed as a good listen, though I think it benefits from some familiarity with the 8/Charley dynamic first. Similarly Scherzo is a fantastic arthouse/experimental piece that is probably the all time best Big Finish audio I've ever heard but it also requires a little bit of familiarity with the two characters, though they do attempt to lay it all out to a first time listener. Neverland has the same issues, it's a great story but reliant on familiarity with the characters.

One of my all time favorites is Year of the Pig, which is a 6/Peri story. It's audio honey, I absolutely adored listening to it. Also, it's an extremely early audio but I really dug The Fearmonger with 7/Ace, which feels like comes right out of (the good part of) his television run. The Kingmaker with 5/Peri/Erimem starts rough but by the halfway point it starts improving and by the end of episode 3 it descends into glorious comedy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dabir posted:

not everyone is aware of the same things you are

People who are aware of things posted on GallifreyBase enough to be annoyed by them probably should be aware of this

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The David Tennant podcast with Jodie Whitaker was a good listen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Harlock posted:

The David Tennant podcast with Jodie Whitaker was a good listen.

Link?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://play.acast.com/s/davidtennant

And other places podcasts are sold

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Awesome, thanks!

Edit: The King Ralph story is incredible.

"Fiiiiine, tell me about Laurence of Arabia then."
"Have you seen it?"
"Nope! :haw:"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 13, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/hostproductions/status/1095381507617837056

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm ready for this version of The Two Doctors :allears:

E: that reminds me, I did a rewatch of Blakes 7 recently, and CBakes was pretty awesome as Bayban the Butcher. He chewed just the right amount of scenery with his performance. :black101:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 13, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Harlock posted:

"Do you want headphones?"
"Yeah I do, because I like the sound of my own voice 'cause I'm a narcissist."

Starts off perfectly

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

DoctorWhat posted:

If you're not mad about Gareth Roberts' virulent transphobia I don't trust you.

Roberts is a total right-wing shitlord and has been for many years, so him branching out into transphobia doesn't surprise me at all sadly.

This was him in 2003 defending the politics of the most mean-spirited, anti-liberal story in the show's pre-revival history, which he also uses as an excuse to have a go at the Muslims.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Harlock posted:

Olivia Colman brought her dog along :3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I had forgotten about that terrible Dominators article, christ. Mods, change my name to Fairytale Peacenik Drivel.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

"Do you want headphones?"
"Yeah I do, because I like the sound of my own voice 'cause I'm a narcissist."

Starts off perfectly

The whole thing is incredible really, and amongst all the jokes she has some really interesting things to say about the pitfalls of fame (and especially the difference between wanting to be an actor and wanting to be "famous"), how she had to stop second-guessing the way she chose to perform the role, her fears about her friends and family being dragged into the spotlight etc. Really can't recommend it enough as a great listen.

Also she got offered the chance to audition by Chibnall when they met for lunch and her only ulterior motive was hoping he might cast her as an alien in an episode somewhere along the way :3:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DWOnThisDay/status/1096006220861853696

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So much for the long game payoff of Gorman being revealed as the 15th Doctor, traveling back through time fighting The Great Intelligence's Great Grandson, dammit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Just saw Resolution in a Berlin cinema because they were showing it today for reasons(?). Looked good on the big screen, nice mix, still funny. Weirdly, the audience (filling maybe 1/3rd of the place) barely reacted to anything though, which may just be Germans generally.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

That reminds me, not only did I recently find out that they're making a tv series version of What We Do In The Shadows (if you haven't seen that movie, check it out, it's incredible), but Matt Berry is playing one of the vampires. It's going to be fantastic.

If you haven't seen it you should check out the first WWDITS spinoff Wellington Paranormal which was made by a lot of the original crew and is a COPS style show about the police officers from the movie investigating paranormal poo poo in Wellington. One of the episodes is directly about the young vampire from the movie.

Edit: if we're talking dream "Master wants to be good and is trying hard but completely doing it wrong" dream casting I would like to suggest Emma Watson.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Just saw Resolution in a Berlin cinema because they were showing it today for reasons(?). Looked good on the big screen, nice mix, still funny. Weirdly, the audience (filling maybe 1/3rd of the place) barely reacted to anything though, which may just be Germans generally.

Can I make a "Maybe they were rooting for the Dalek" joke?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"Ha ha, yeah right 73 ro-"

quote:

Guard / Technician / Cyberman / ...
- Attack of the Cybermen: Part Two (1985) ... Cyberman (uncredited)
- Attack of the Cybermen: Part One (1985) ... Slave Worker (uncredited)
- The Caves of Androzani: Part One (1984) ... Soldier (uncredited)
- Enlightenment: Part Two (1983) ... Grogan (uncredited)
- Enlightenment: Part One (1983) ... Grogan (uncredited)
- The Keeper of Traken: Part One (1981) ... Foster (uncredited)
- Warriors' Gate: Part Three (1981) ... Gundan (uncredited)
- Warriors' Gate: Part Two (1981) ... Gundan (uncredited)
- City of Death: Part One (1979) ... Thug (uncredited)
- The Armageddon Factor: Part Six (1979) ... Pilot (uncredited)
- The Armageddon Factor: Part Four (1979) ... Pilot
- The Armageddon Factor: Part Three (1979) ... Pilot
- The Ribos Operation: Part Four (1978) ... Kro (uncredited)
- The Ribos Operation: Part Three (1978) ... Kro (uncredited)
- The Invisible Enemy: Part Four (1977) ... A Medic
- The Invisible Enemy: Part Three (1977) ... A Medic
- The Invisible Enemy: Part Two (1977) ... Medic (uncredited)
- The Deadly Assassin: Part Two (1976) ... Chancellary Guard (uncredited)
- The Deadly Assassin: Part One (1976) ... Chancellory Guard (uncredited)
- The Masque of Mandragora: Part Four (1976) ... Brother (uncredited)
- The Masque of Mandragora: Part Three (1976) ... Brother (uncredited)
- The Masque of Mandragora: Part Two (1976) ... Brother (uncredited)
- The Masque of Mandragora: Part One (1976) ... Soldier
- The Seeds of Doom: Part Five (1976) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Seeds of Doom: Part Four (1976) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Seeds of Doom: Part Three (1976) ... Guard (uncredited)
- Revenge of the Cybermen: Part One (1975) ... Cyberman / Dead Crewman (uncredited)
- Genesis of the Daleks: Part Two (1975) ... Thal Soldier
- Robot: Part One (1974) ... Gate Guard (uncredited)
- Planet of the Spiders: Part Two (1974) ... Soldier
- The Monster of Peladon: Part Six (1974) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Monster of Peladon: Part Three (1974) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Monster of Peladon: Part One (1974) ... Guard (uncredited)
- Invasion of the Dinosaurs: Part Two (1974) ... UNIT Corporal
- The Green Death: Episode Six (1973) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Green Death: Episode Five (1973) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Green Death: Episode Four (1973) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Green Death: Episode One (1973) ... Global Chemicals Guard / 'Nuthatch' Resident (uncredited)
- Frontier in Space: Episode Six (1973) ... Sea Devil (uncredited)
- Frontier in Space: Episode Two (1973) ... Presidential Guard (uncredited)
- Frontier in Space: Episode One (1973) ... Earth Guard (uncredited)
- The Three Doctors: Episode One (1972) ... UNIT Soldier (uncredited)
- The Sea Devils: Episode Six (1972) ... Sea Devil
- The Sea Devils: Episode Five (1972) ... Sea Devil
- The Sea Devils: Episode Four (1972) ... Sea Devil
- The Sea Devils: Episode Two (1972) ... Sea Devil
- The Sea Devils: Episode One (1972) ... Sea Devil
- Day of the Daleks: Episode Four (1972) ... Film Cameraman (uncredited)
- Day of the Daleks: Episode Three (1972) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Dæmons: Episode Five (1971) ... Coven Member (uncredited)
- The Dæmons: Episode Four (1971) ... Coven Member (uncredited)
- Colony in Space: Episode Six (1971) ... Primitive
- Colony in Space: Episode Five (1971) ... Colonist
- Colony in Space: Episode Four (1971) ... Primitive
- Colony in Space: Episode Three (1971) ... Long
- Colony in Space: Episode Two (1971) ... Primitive and Voice
- Colony in Space: Episode One (1971) ... Primitive and Voice
- Terror of the Autons: Episode Four (1971) ... Auton Leader
- Terror of the Autons: Episode Three (1971) ... Auton Leader
- Inferno: Episode 6 (1970) ... Primord
- Inferno: Episode 5 (1970) ... Primord
- The Ambassadors of Death: Episode 3 (1970) ... Technician (uncredited)
- The Ambassadors of Death: Episode 1 (1970) ... Technician (uncredited)
- Doctor Who and the Silurians: Episode 7 (1970) ... Silurian Scientist
- Doctor Who and the Silurians: Episode 6 (1970) ... Silurian Scientist
- Doctor Who and the Silurians: Episode 5 (1970) ... Silurian Scientist
- Doctor Who and the Silurians: Episode 4 (1970) ... Silurian
- Doctor Who and the Silurians: Episode 3 (1970) ... Silurian
- Doctor Who and the Silurians: Episode 2 (1970) ... Silurian
- The War Games: Episode Two (1969) ... Military Policeman
- The Seeds of Death: Episode Five (1969) ... Technician (uncredited)
- The Seeds of Death: Episode Four (1969) ... Technician (uncredited)
- The Seeds of Death: Episode Three (1969) ... Technician (uncredited)
- The Seeds of Death: Episode Two (1969) ... Technician (uncredited)
- The Seeds of Death: Episode One (1969) ... Technician (uncredited)
- The Invasion: Episode Eight (1968) ... Cyberman
- The Invasion: Episode Seven (1968) ... Cyberman
- The Invasion: Episode Six (1968) ... Cyberman
- The Invasion: Episode Four (1968) ... Cyberman
- The Enemy of the World: Episode 4 (1968) ... Guard (uncredited)
- The Abominable Snowmen: Episode Six (1967) ... Monk (uncredited)
- The Abominable Snowmen: Episode Five (1967) ... Monk (uncredited)
- The Abominable Snowmen: Episode Four (1967) ... Monk (uncredited)
- The Abominable Snowmen: Episode Three (1967) ... Monk (uncredited)
- The Abominable Snowmen: Episode Two (1967) ... Monk (uncredited)
- The Abominable Snowmen: Episode 1 (1967) ... Monk (uncredited)
- The War Machines: Episode 3 (1966) ... Worker (uncredited)
- The Sea Beggar (1966) ... Guard (uncredited)
- Horse of Destruction (1965) ... Greek Soldier (uncredited)
- Death of a Spy (1965) ... Greek Soldier (uncredited)
- Temple of Secrets (1965) ... Greek Soldier (uncredited)
- Mission to the Unknown (1965) ... Planetarian (uncredited)
- Day of Reckoning (1964) ... Rebel (uncredited)
- The Daleks (1964) ... Rebel (uncredited)
- World's End (1964) ... Freedom Fighter (uncredited)

:stare:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Harlock posted:

I love this, but it's a weird listen because it was clearly recorded months ago, probably during the season airing. There's a point where she's very clearly thinking about The Witchfinders in particular, but avoids specifics in a way where that's still spoiler territory.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah they mention at one point that only a couple of episodes have aired. It's a fantastic interview though, well worth a listen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Before and after the screening of Resolution, the cinema also showed a few behind the scenes bits like an extended version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FGKzDq9OnU

And my other half noticed that when they showed a bit of the camera monitor that they were filming in 2K. So I guess that means no 4K/UHD release of the season, which is a shame.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

Are you American? In my experience in British cinemas, audiences are always very quiet, which might also hold true elsewhere in Europe. (Which is why I'll make sure not to go to any cinemas if I ever find myself in the USA.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

cargohills posted:

Are you American? In my experience in British cinemas, audiences are always very quiet, which might also hold true elsewhere in Europe. (Which is why I'll make sure not to go to any cinemas if I ever find myself in the USA.)

No, I’m English, and UK audiences would at least laugh at the jokes (unless you’re going to some very stuffy cinemas).

Also, the US audience thing seems to be a movie cliche because I’ve never encountered it in all my US cinema excursions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Also, the US audience thing seems to be a movie cliche because I’ve never encountered it in all my US cinema excursions.

It depends on the time of the day, what movie, and where you're seeing it. If you go and see the midnight premiere for a big release in a large theater, there's going to be a comment yelled here and there, and lots of hootin', hollerin', and applause. A good portion of the audience is likely to be inebriated. I personally enjoy the experience of it once in awhile.

If you're in a second-run movie theater watching a Sundance film with subtitles, the the audience is likely to be completely silent.

Obviously, there's a lot in between those two extremes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: ^^^ Yeah, that.

The_Doctor posted:

I have, but only at midnight premieres. I remember I saw the second Pirates movie at a midnight showing, and people were running around in pirate costumes, waving pirate flags, and cheering anytime Depp showed up on screen. It was obnoxious, and I've stayed away from might showings ever since.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Haha, yeah, I was specifically thinking of a time when a bunch of my friends brought me along on a pirate bar hop (they were dressed like pirates, I was just along for the ride) before the fourth (I think?) Pirates movie. That's one end of the extreme and it probably is pretty obnoxious, but then there's like, if you see something like Star Wars in the first week, if it's a big, crowded theater, people sometimes clap or cheer at some of the big moments. I kind of like the shared experience of it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm quiet in cinemas because I like guessing what happens next and I'm usually right 60% of the time, much to the irritation of people who eavesdrop on my muttering

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There’s going to be a VR Doctor Who thing soon.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Is he related at all to Burn Gorman? My first thought was "dang, he kinda looks like Owen from Torchwood" and then I remembered that actor's name. A cursory Googlin' didn't turn up anything, but thought someone here might know if they're like uncle/nephew or something. Or if I'm just imagining the resemblance.

An odd coincidence is that just the night before, my spouse and I had just been watching his last role in DW. Not that that's terribly remarkable, given his 73 episodes. Wikipedia says he did 83, and also this bit:

quote:

He appeared in minor roles in 83 episodes of the science fiction series Doctor Who between 1964 and 1985: only six other actors appeared in more in the show's original run.

Who are the other six actors with even bigger resumes, holy hell?! I just tried looking that up, but am not hitting the right search terms. Though there are some pretty cool listicles about repeat actors --- I particularly find the ones that appeared in both classic and revival kinda :kimchi: . Also, I had no idea Julian Glover was General Veers in Empire Strikes Back.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Who are the other six actors with even bigger resumes, holy hell?! I just tried looking that up, but am not hitting the right search terms. Though there are some pretty cool listicles about repeat actors --- I particularly find the ones that appeared in both classic and revival kinda :kimchi: . Also, I had no idea Julian Glover was General Veers in Empire Strikes Back.

Probably William, Patrick, Jon, and Tom. Fraizer too, I'd guess.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Probably William, Patrick, Jon, and Tom. Fraizer too, I'd guess.

What's the smilie for the forehead smack?

I wasn't even thinking about the Docs themselves, just supporting cast. D'oh! Yeah, gonna guess Tom for #1.

(If anyone's curious, Roy Skelton did 50 episodes, at least according to IMDB.)

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Per IMDB, the top 10 list for the classic series is:

Tom Baker: 178 episodes
Frazer: 177 episodes (?!)
Hartnell: 144 episodes
Pertwee: 132 episodes
Patrick: 131 episodes
Nicholas Courtney: 109 episodes
Pat Gorman: 95 episodes
Lis Sladen: 83 episodes
Jacqueline Hill: 81 episodes
William Russell: 78 episodes

And in the new series, for shits and giggles:
Tennant: 59 episodes
Smith: 57 episodes
Capaldi: 46 episodes
Jenna Coleman: 41 episodes
Nicholas Briggs: 40 episodes
Billie Piper 40 episodes
Karen Gillan: 38 episodes
Paul Kasey: 35 episodes
Arthur Darvill: 27 episodes
Freema Agyeman : 25 episodes
Ruari Mears: 22 episodes

(Kasey and Mears play assorted Cybermen/Oods/etc, and we all know Briggs)

(This is, because IMDB is stupid, only counting both main series. Things like Dimensions in Time and the 83 different Shadas aren't included here)

Edit: I've only just seen this list might be WRONG because IMDB has two different numbers listed for Frazer Hines in two different places. Stupid IMDB.

Flight Bisque fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 16, 2019

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Flight Bisque posted:

Edit: I've only just seen this list might be WRONG because IMDB has two different numbers listed for Frazer Hines in two different places. Stupid IMDB.

Yeah, I was wondering how Skelton got credited for something that came out four years after he died. They apparently count fan-made films, so there's that. Stupid IMDB, indeed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Frazer Hines's wikipedia entry says he is in 117, which seems like a plausible typo/transposition for 177, whichever is actually correct.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Frazer Hines's wikipedia entry says he is in 117, which seems like a plausible typo/transposition for 177, whichever is actually correct.

I'm seeing him in IMDB with 117 episodes.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the last marathon was special for me. they are gonna show dalek episodes starting tomorrow https://www.doctorwho.tv/watch/twitch/

watching classic doctor who with twitch chat was an amazing experience last time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nice! I missed most of the recent re-run on twitch and wouldn’t have heard about this one either so thanks for posting. It’s always fun seeing people react to this stuff for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/Funkybunch47/status/1096859502882607104